Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Fiesta

Comments

• phill1phill1 Posts: 315
    Just something to [non-permissible content removed] and bash about!
  • iamziamz Posts: 542
    Yeah, I think you're right. I just checked his last 10 posts in other forums and it was all just a bunch of angry rants.
    edited April 2010
    ....and I'm extremely glad I ordered my Fiesta. The automotive media really likes this car. There is bemoaning of its 1.6 liter engine which is no surprise but they love its handling, solid ride and ultra quiet interior. And actually, some thought the engine was fine and that the Fiesta was the quickest in its class.
    I`ve read almost as many reviews too all posted after the Media black-out was lifted yesterday on Apr. 26, the supposed Job1 date for full production of the 2011 Ford Fiesta at its Mexico City assembly plant. For the most part, I agree. Almost everyone was pleased with both fit,finish, handling, braking, steering, comfort, etc. A few complaints about limited back seat room but its a B-Segment sub-compact vehicle. My 2006 Kia Rio5 SX has adequate rear room for 2 adults as long as I don`t extend the front seats to the absolute end of the track. I know those that wait a year or 2 will get a vastly improved US version of the Fiesta with Eco-Boost engine performance improvements as well as other items that always get "tweeked" on first year cars. I ordered mine now cause I chose not to wait, and when they finally start running the line for the 5 door SE hatchback with the Power Moon Roof that I insisted on waiting for, I`ll be looking to get my hands on it sometime in July or August! Yikes...I just realized, its going to have" tiny" 15`` wheels and tires with the optional painted alloy rims that were included in the Sport Appearance Package.....horrors! I hope it won`t look like a Flintstone Car or a Matchbook Toy!
    There are a lot of pictures out there that show the 15" aluminum wheels on the car and I saw a blue SE sedan with the 15" aluminum wheels at the Mpls. Auto Show and really, they looked fine on the car. Proportionally everything seemed normal.
    I was just kidding. I saw the same Blue SE 4 door sedan (with) Power Moon Roof at the FT Lauderdale International Auto Show a few months ago. The Ford Factory Rep. said it was a pre-production vehicle N.A. version that was being taken to public viewings at lots of Auto Shows. Funny, several weeks later when they had the Huge Barrett-Jackson Auction & Auto Exhibit in West Palm Beach,FL they only had several of the European version Fiesta Hatchbacks for display and test drives. You would have thought that being close to production they would have brought a few N.A. version Fiesta`s there for viewing and driving. Go figure?
    I think a lot of those pre production versions were Euro cars with NA spec bumpers, interiors, lights and gas caps. At least according to one of the Fiesta Agents they were.

I believe the production line started running on Monday (26th). Prior to that a few cars were being built on the same line to work the kinks out of the system.
    Since my Fiesta will be a (late availability) build unit due to the Power Moon Roof I ordered, I hope that several months of cars coming down the assembly line will have removed some of the early kinks/glitches etc that almost all newly released vehicles have that need tweaking. Remember the launch of the Ford Escape? What a horror story! For the first month or so, there was so many Factory Service Recall Bulletins and Stop Sale Orders to dealerships it was embarrassing! I have never recalled such a botched up launch of any recent Ford product release. They even had a later JOB2 change that completely changed the steering column transmission shift lever handle. Hopefully the 2 previous years building the European version of the Fiesta will minimize the problems with the N.A. unit.
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,622
    Are you sure that was the Escape? Or are you thinking about the 2000 Focus?

Ford does 2 things now that prevent those types of early problems.

One - they inspect every vehicle off the line and hold production until the factory produces defect free vehicles for 5 consecutive days. Problem on day 4.5 - clock starts over at 0.

Two - they hold all of the early production vehicles until they have been inspected and repaired if necessary.

This can delay vehicle introduction but ensures a much higher quality level.
    I can confirm what you're saying. My Fiesta reservation consultant said the line needs to produce one week of "clean" vehicles before they can build customer ordered cars.
    It was the Escape! Far more problems at first release then the 2000 Focus. They had a nation-wide factory imposed DO NOT SELL Order the first 2 weeks they vehicles first hit the dealers lot! Gas line leaks problems, brakes issues, and a multitude of other major safety factors. The first few months of the Escapes introduction was a nightmare. Ask any Ford dealership salesperson or service department if they were working at a Ford Dealership then and they will concur. I`m sure they has the same DO NOT SELL or RELEASE on its sister vehicle the Mazda Tribute that was being built along side the Escape at the same Kansas City MO assembly plant.
    When did this happen?
    The first year introduction of the new 2001 Ford Escape occurred in late summer or early fall of 2000.
    So it was right on the heels of the 2000 Focus problems. These problems were the catalyst for Ford to change their quality control processes and vehicle launch process. They haven't had those types of problems in the last 5-6 years.
  • puffin1puffin1 Posts: 276
    Would this car compete with the Fiesta,if it had a 1.6L? I mean look what you get with a base Polo.Alot more than a Fiesta offers as standard available features. :confuse:
    Has VW announced pricing of the Polo? I couldn't find a list of standard features anywhere so it's kind of hard to compare.
    My thoughts exactly. Because of my long commute, the most important performance spec is mpg. If I can achieve low 40's, I'll be ecstatic. The absolute least important spec is 0-60. I have over 158,000 miles on my Protege5 and the number of times I've floored it can be counted on one hand (with fingers left over:D).
    Ford has all but confirmed future sport versions of both the Fiesta and Focus so they're on the way but as you said the focus right now (no pun intended) is fuel economy.

I expect the performance versions will be 3 door hatches also.
  • puffin1puffin1 Posts: 276
    edited May 2010
    go to new cars VW and scroll dn to Polo and you can get availables and there are no options . It has it all except for bluetooth and priced 3 k lower than a Fiesta with multi level heated seats and moonroof standard. I dunno if the engine was a 1.6L I'd be looking at it real hard. :shades: