Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Fiesta

Comments

• in the case of Ford producing painted alloys, I would look realistically at that with the realization that a factory production painted alloy is not going to be too over-done. And, Ford must make money selling them. So there you go. Having said that, the latest painted alloys coming from Ford look really good to me and by no means would they need to be improved upon. There's always a "grassroots" group of guys that always have to change the vehicle they own in some way, however miniscule that might be, they just have to change it somehow.

Kind of like putting their brand on it. To me it is entirely unnecessary and costly to boot.

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

• plektoplekto Posts: 3,733
    Painting wheels is the cheap way out, since it looks like junk and lasts like it as well. The proper and much more expensive way to do it is to anodize or acid-treat the aluminum alloy.
  • Painting wheels is the cheap way out, since it looks like junk and lasts like it as well. The proper and much more expensive way to do it is to anodize or acid-treat the aluminum alloy.

Are you saying that Ford's "painted alloys" on their Fiesta's and Focii would starting looking backyard garage sale-ish in overly salty climes after say 4 years or so? Or words to that effect?

• iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,675
    edited February 2011

more than likely painted alloys fresh from Fo-Mo-Co are shown on this 2012 Ford Focus sedan straight-from-the-factory? I'd say they probably are. If they wear sooner than usual that might be a concern but the inland Pacific Northwest (the Idaho Panhandle where I live) is not particularly rough on car paint. Wet and snowy and icy, though people throw generous amounts of rock salt down because of long winters here.

I would think a person if concerned could stave off early "painted alloy wear down" concerns by applying a wax of some sort to their Fo-Mo-Co (or Chrysler and Chevy, insert brand name here) alloys or painted alloys, whatever iteration alloy they receive.

Still, paint on top of aluminum is going to fade and eventually flake off.

You have to re-paint every few years and that's a time consuming process.
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,666
    Aluminum body panels are painted and they don't have to be repainted every few years. If they are painted then they're also clear coated.
  • the painted alloys from Ford are not done up to the extent that the paint will flake off. Their process is "cheaper" if you will, but sufficient for the average car buyer.

Translation: the 2013 Ford Focus wheels I get if I buy a '13 Focus will do me fine. But I might buy some wheel protectant and keep them sponged and whisked clean every 6 months or so, just to be sure. My '08 Lancer GTS wheels are still looking pretty good...but I baby them, too. ;)

• dubc73dubc73 Posts: 1
    Who in their right mind would pay 18K for a fiesta? There are so many other cars that you can get for that price or cheaper. Ford is trying to sell all the bells and whistles the car has. The car itself is not worth the money. Especially with Fords reputation on lower end cars. Sorry, I don't believe all the hype.
  • iamziamz Posts: 542
    My Fiesta is great. It's quieter than most cars that cost $30k or even $40k. Outhandles any other small car in its class (almost handles as well as a Mini). Has more luxury features than any other car in its class and I'm averaging 41 mpg on every tank.

I guess if your definition of "reality" is "hype", then yeah, sure, it's all hype. (rolls eyes)
    What really makes me cringe is to compare a new Fiesta, which is small, flimsy (feels economy to the touch), and full of plastic to something like a used TSX.

Economy cars are supposed to be, well, economical. Pushing nearly $20K for a car that's not even half what even a $27-30K Camry is (let alone something much nicer), is almost criminal.
  • sanfrandansanfrandan Posts: 20
    edited May 2011
    Three months, 4100 miles, about 32 mpg crawling around San Francisco's hills. Just this morning, i was amazed to find I could fit my big mountain bike inside.

Strong points:
    Quiet - way quieter than the competition
    Comfortable seats.
    Nice handling.
    Super easy to park.
    I can get 50mpg+ cruising along a flat highway at 60mph. Sadly, most of my driving is in congested hilly terrain.
    It's a snazzy looking car.

I love the stereo. I picked up a usb drive for $45 and it holds 32gigs of music. Most of what's on there is my daughter's terrible crap, but still, my good stuff all fits, too. Because the car is very quiet for a compact, music with dynamics (jazz and classical) can actually be enjoyed. In my wife's Civic, it's gotta be rock or pop, because soft passages are lost to road noise.

Weak points:

Sync is amusingly hit-and-miss at speech recognition, and it's weak that you have to exactly match the name when calling for an artist or song name. Calling out for "Tommy Dorsey" doesn't help if the artist is listed at Tommy and Jimmy Dorsey.

The auto transmission has rough transitions sometimes.

Back seat: I gaze with envy upon Honda Fit owner's back seats.... Why can't Ford's fold flat?

Sun Visor: The sun visor is too short. It should have a slide-out so it reaches back to the B pillar when moved to the side.

I don't much like the upholstery. I wish they had the leather seats available with the SFE package.

The miles-to-empty gauge goes from 20 to 0 miles in about 5 miles. It's very consistent in it's error, so I can plan by it, but it's annoying all the same.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,675
    My Fiesta is great. It's quieter than most cars that cost $30k or even $40k. Outhandles any other small car in its class (almost handles as well as a Mini). Has more luxury features than any other car in its class and I'm averaging 41 mpg on every tank.

Is your new Ford Fiesta manual transmission or automatic?

• iamziamz Posts: 542
    It's the auto. The dual clutch Powershift is geared for mpg more so than the the manual. On the Fiesta forum where I contribute, we have 3 people who have gotten 50 mpg or more on a tank. One hypermiler has cleared 50 mpg on 6 tanks in a row.

I'm closing in on 43 mpg on my current tank. I live in a very hilly area so I don't think I'll ever see 50 mpg myself.

With my last car, a Mazda Protege5, I was excited whenever I could get 30 mpg. Ha! ;) And conseidering I paid almost exactly $4000 less for the Fiesta, I'm really liking this car. :)
    Note - that's U.K. MPG.
  • dprivendpriven Posts: 10
    Does anyone know the top speed of a Fiesta? On a closed, private track where it was legal to do so, I got mine to 100mph and it was smooth and happy at that speed, but my brother was with me and he would have decked me if I'd gone any faster.

Thanks.
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Posts: 1,663
    I'd say 100mph.

Did you have helmets?

The suspension seemed to have a lot of travel...I wouldn't want to do more than 100mph and have to swerve for any reason.

Youtube is full of cars getting out of control after a little bump...sport cars too.

I remember a dozen years ago taking an Opel (don't remember which) 1.6l to 120ish on the Autobahn...but it was straight and flat...I'm assuming this private track isn't a long runway.
  • of the 2011 Ford Fiesta from Motorweek. It's worth a watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBCQATEOrxU&feature=player_detailpage

• I rented a Fiesta this past summer while I was in Germany. I drove from Erlangen (near Nuremburg) to the Munich airport in the early morning to catch my flight back to the US. I was able to get the Fiesta to 200kph on a downhill slope (probably with some wind) which is about 125mph. Most of the drive I was comfortably doing 180kph which is just over 110mph.
  • Purchased 2012 ford fiesta se hatch 5 speed (manual) 1 month ago, have really annoying "gear whine" in 5th gear, really dissapointing. Does anybody else have this problem. Thanks.