Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Article Comments - 2007 Hyundai Azera Long-Term Test

Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,020
Check out our 2007 Azera long term test! Tell us what you think of the results here.

Long-Term Test: 2007 Hyundai Azera

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

Comments

• jaymagicjaymagic Posts: 309
    I think it matches reasonably well with my experience. About 22,000 miles after one year. Living in Denver, I would agree with your positive assessment of its abilities in the snow. My overall avg. mileage is considerably better, close to 24mpg, but I suspect I don't drive mine like the test car. Too bad you didn't take it to somewhere for a top speed run. Based on my very limited whim, I know it tops WELL over 140 mph without any real effort.

Mine has the black interior and I wish you had an opportunity to have tested it. I have been extremely pleased with it and it shows no sign of any wear issues. Like yours, I have had no mechanical issues of any kind. Your comment about the misaligned panels were interesting. I didn't have XM in mine and have added an auxiliary player. This was the first Azera, for an experienced installer, and he was very surprised about how tight together the panels and dash trim were on my Azera compared to most all cars he has to deal with (I used the tape input, like you did with the IPOD).

Again living in Denver, the shiftronic tranny is extremely helpful in the mountains and a great feature for the price of the Azera. I don't remember much discussion of this, as the Azera is not a sports sedan, but in real world Colorado, it's a very nice thing to have.

I have NO complaints at all about my Azera. My wish list for how I would change the Azera would be to add XM (which Hyundai has done), add HID lights as an option, and offer a sports sedan version. I feel like I got way more for my money with my Azera, and while I would not put it quite in the luxury class, it certainly gets closer than any other vehicle near its price. If Hyundai took the difference in money between an Azera and an Avalon and used it to further upgrade the Hyundai, Lexus along with others like Acura , would be in trouble. Testing without badging will never occur, but if it did....

Now I just have to save my pennies for a Genesis in a couple of years.
  • joe97joe97 Posts: 2,248
    In the 07 Azera long term wrap up, after some 18K miles tested, the one thing jumped out at me is the depreciation, which was only 1% behind the Camry (Camry had 3K extra miles but still...)
  • 4ron4ron Posts: 4
    We have a '06 Azera Limited with gray interior and black exterior. We have not had the wear problems that you guys from Edmunds experienced. Mechanical performance has been flawless. My only complaint is that the ride is too soft. My other car is a BMW 3 series. It feels more connected to the road.
  • hjc1hjc1 Posts: 183
    My 07 has 16,000 and the gray leather looks great AND the fit and finish of the interior is excellent. Why would Hyundai give them a car that wasn't perfect ????
  • dborthdborth Posts: 474
    My '07 with 12,500 miles is flawless in terms of interior materials used and overall assembly of components. My only beef if the noisy rear suspension that emits a hollow echoing cabin noise over less than perfect road conditions.

'Why would Hyundai give them a car that wasn't perfect ????'

Obviously Hyundai knows Edmunds is rough on their test vehicles.
  • 2007 Limited with Ultimate package, 10 months and 7,800 miles. Only complaint I have is the impact harshness over rough roads, but I have learned to live with it. Otherwise, very comfortable and all the bells and whistles work. No repairs and it is still super quiet. Quietest sunroof I've ever had and I don't have a deflector.
    I have the light interior and it still looks perfect. The optional carpets are showing some wear, but that is what they are for. Personally, I think the optional carpets should be a medium gray and not the same color as the carpeting in the car anyway. Black might even be a better choice.
    Just for fun, took it to Carmax last month. Worth $18,000 real world in perfect condition - before the 08's were actually out. But look how much I saved buying it! Actually paid less for the Azera than I had for Camry XLE V6 in 2003 and that was below TMV.
    Re: stereo, my wife says it doesn't matter since all I listen to is C&W, 50's/60's rock and pop anyway. Sounds good to me.
    One complaint is with the parking lights. You have to look in the owner's manual if you actually want to leave them on and turn the car off. Prevents accidentally leaving them on, but a hassle the few times you might want to do it.
  • I have had my 2006 (purchased new in early 07) for 12 months and 23,600 miles (yes I drive a lot, and, my butt's not sore). I am still looking for a problem, only item is the forward doors do not stay open easily at the mid point they always want to close. If I open to the wide point and I am not on a slope then all is ok. I installed my own after market HID lights Love-em, with all my driving I rely on them many hours each day (night). With all that said, what do I do spend an extra $10 grand for another brand...NOT!! I haven't reset my MPG gauge since I purchased and we are holding at 27.7 mpg. Oil changes are easy as are all air filter changes. I DO DREAD changing the spark plugs which will require pulling off the intake manifold I will do those at the same time I change the transmission fluid around 75,000 miles, and I will perform both items myself probably along with the brakes, will make for a nice Saturday morning "stretch and twist".
    My wife drives a 2003 BMW 525 and I very much enjoy driving it but I will purchase another Azera before a BMW.....TYVM

Simply stated I have a perfect car!
  • I have the beige interior in my '06 Limited, and it can definitely show dirt. The trick is to never let the seats and carpet get that dirty. I use some darker berber custom floor mats, and clean and condition the seats regularly. After 13 months, they still look brand new.

I pretty much agree with Edmund's assessment of the vehicle (though my interior is put together very well and the stereo sounds just fine to me) -- but when you factor in the price, I say it is one hell of a car.
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Posts: 1,598
    Check your owners manual to be sure about that tranny fluid change.

I think most Hyundais call for tranny flush at 30K miles. Just check to be sure you don't inadvertantly void your warranty.
  • I purchased my 06 in Dec. 05, Black w/ gray interior. I agree that the seats do get dirty. Mine tend to get a blue tint from jeans. I use Lexol leather cleaner and the seats always come clean. I purchased a set of clear, all-weather mats, and placed them over my OEM mats. Mats still look new. My interior is flawless as is everything else. Fuel economy has not been great as we drive it mainly for short trips city trips. I have only accumulated 14.5k miles since my daily driver is a Black on Black 07 SantaFe Limited. Personally speaking, the Azera is a premium car and an exceptional value in its class.
  • drdonrsdrdonrs Posts: 164
    I am with you. I have an 06 Azera Limited Pearl White with gray interior. Purchased in Aug. 06 and have 13,500 miles. My wife drives it during the week and on weekends it's our main car. I have an 06 Sonata LX6 purchased Jan. 06 with just 8,000 miles. The Azzy is an awesome car and runs circles around our previous Acura TL's. As soon as winter departs the NY area I will have the car detailed, inside as well as outside. We are seniors and I can't do the stuff I used to do. Not sorry for one minute to be driving cars with the flying H. :)
    Don
  • I did check the service book, interesting it calls for Tranny oil change @168,000 miles regular service. Tell me if i am wrong!
  • jakkijakki Posts: 1
    Hi, I'm having a time trying to clean the interior of my Azera. The dash and door areas
    esp. Also do you have any tips on how to clean the leather seats?
    Thank,
    Jakki
  • While the normal service interval for ATF is 105,000 miles (168,000 Kilometers!), the "severe usage" figure is every 30,000 miles and I'd hazard that every dealer wants to say that your vehicle falls under "severe usage."

Try asking your dealer to explain why "severe usage" should be applicable in your individual circumstance, to see some quality tap-dancing... ;)