Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2008 Honda Civic Problems and Repairs

Comments

• Many issues related to AC cooling inconsistencies mentioned in this and other civic forums esp. 2006-2008.
    We need to start a petition(or class action) regarding this so they will flash the ECUs with another update, or replace the weak altenators.
    Second cigarette outlet in console will not power lighter, but is intended for electronics. It is mentioned in owner's manual.
  • sandman46sandman46 Posts: 1,798
    Go back to the dealer with the info on the a/c reflash and have them do it. Took mine in and they did it with no questions asked. End of story!

The Sandman :)
  • did anybody notice any increase in mpg or performance per say after the first oil change? :confuse:
  • Have not reached that milestone yet, but have noticed rpms dropped from 4100 to 3500 in sixth gear while cruising at 80mph sometime after break in period. The car is still very short geared to offset meager 139 ft/lb of torque.
  • xxyxxy Posts: 16
    I got my first oil change on last monday. It was approaching 7000 miles and the oil life was still at 30%. Since I had a rule with previous vehicles to change the oil every 5000 miles I took it in. The service manager said he would do it this time but in the furture to wait until the oil life is at 15% or the wrench icon appears. I have the extended warranty on it. I took a day off from work not knowing how long it would take-it was ready to go in an hour-including tire rotation-asked about the cupping issue they claimed to know nothing about it. I have not checked the mpg since the oil change but will on the next fillup since you asked. Best I have received so far is 41.5 mpg on the interstate at average of 70mph with a/c.
  • I got my 08 Civic two weeks ago. Last night I was driving with the driver's window open and when I got home I noticed a line in the speedmeter's screen.
    I have tried to clean it with glass cleanser but it did not work. I am thinking that maybe a little stone caused the problem while I was driving in the freeway.
    what I can I do? Can I tell the dealer to change the screen under the warranty?
    Any input will be appreciated.
    Thanks
  • I don't think I understand how you think a stone from the road would put a line in the speedometer screen's shield.

The thing is, don't tell them this. If it was damaged by something you did (a rock,etc) warranty won't cover it.
  • I agree... I think a stone hitting your speedometer screen is really a one in a trillion chance. Maybe it was already like that and you just noticed it? I would just tell the dealer about the line and wouldn't mention the a rock hitting it. I'm not saying to lie...you really don't know what happened. Good luck and let us know how it goes ;)
  • Thank you guys for your advices. I went to the dealer and they ordered the speedometer screen for this coming Monday.
    I did not say anything to the dealer about the stone :)
  • My AM reception is quite good. My car has the Navigation System. It's an EX-L 4 door. I am having the rear alignment issues though. I would like to see the TSB on that if there is one for the 2008 model.

Todd
  • glogoglogo Posts: 1
    I've been driving MT cars for 20 years and was just told that I burned out my clutch on my 9 month old Civic. With the exception of my first used MT car, I have not burned out a clutch with my other 2 cars and each had over 125K miles before I traded them in.

I bought the car and live in San Francisco and the hills can be brutal. This issue started on one of the steepest hills in the city on Sunday. I had to stop at a stop sign. When I tried to re-engage the clutch, I put my foot on the gas - nothing. I floored the gas - nothing. After a total of a second or two, I started to roll backwards and stalled. This happend twice. Traffic building up behing me, I pulled the emergency brake, revved the engine and engaged the clutch before I disengaged the brake. I made it through the intersection but seem to have done some damage - the engagement point on the clutch has definitely moved.

My first thought was that gas wasn't getting to the right place to get me through the intersection. I took it to the dealership and they say it is all the clutch.

I am very frustrated that I am already faced with replacing a clutch at 9 months. I am having a hard time accepting that it is possible to burn out a clutch on a single hill (which is what the dealership is telling me) and I know that I am not a bad driver. If I were a bad driver, two of my other three other cars would not have lasted 7-9 years with over 125K without issue. My first car was bought with 60K and I had to replace the clutch after 75K - I wasn't the first person to learn on it.

Has anyone else had an issue like this? Is it really possible to burn out a clutch on a hill?
  • I purchased my 08 Civic Coupe EX-L-NAV in Sept and had it back to the dealer one week later to have the windshield replaced, but the new windshield has the same problem. The lower half of the windshield on the passenger side has significant distortion. The best way to describe it is as you are looking through rippled glass. Is anyone else experiencing this distortion?
  • While I'm sure it is possible to burn out a clutch on a hill, you would most definitely know that you were burning it up at the time...I mean, you would have to really really try to destroy it...especially on a 9 month old car!! When you come to a stop on a hill, do you hold yourself in position by "feathering" the clutch with the car in gear, or do you put it in neutral and use the brakes to keep it in position? I see a lot of people rocking fore and aft at stops by constantly partially engaging and disengaging the clutch...which is a terrible thing to do to a clutch. Given your extensive experience with MT vehicles, however, I assume you don't do that. Perhaps some others here have had clutch issues with their Civics as well.

I have a 2000 Dodge Dakota with a V8, 5 speed and 201,000 miles that I beat the ever-living hell out of on a regular basis since the day I bought it new...and the transmission has never let me down. I bought a 2008 Civic LX MT in July and haven't had any problems out of it yet either (just turned 6,000 miles on the odometer).
  • I had my second oil change last weekend at about 10,000 miles. I didn't take it to the dealership this time and had it done at a local oil change/tire place. They didn't know how to reset the oil life indicator. So, everytime I start the car, the indicator is on and the little wrench light, as well.

I couldn't find it in the manual. Does anyone know how to get this reset??? Thank you!
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    It actually will be in your manual, so look again. I can't remember the exact order in how it is done or I'd go ahead and tell you!
  • kmakerkmaker Posts: 20
    Hello,
    Yep, this sounds familiar...I now have just under 30K or 18,000 miles on my '08 Civic. The clutch friction point has definitely shifted recently as well. I've seen others comment on engine hesitation and mine does the same thing but also "bogs" when the clutch is let out. I sometimes have to re-find the friction point to get going and I've actually stalled the car a couple of times in traffic. The clutch is wearing prematurely and actually starting to chatter now because of this. I too have never burnt out a clutch in any of my previous vehicles and I've had a bunch over the years. Dealer couldn't find anything wrong....first time I took it in. 51 mpg is my best tank and personally I think it's running too lean (too much air, not enough fuel) and this is causing everything above.
    Good luck! ;)
  • kmakerkmaker Posts: 20
    Hi,
    Page #226 in the '08 Civic manual but not sure if you have a Civic.
    1) Turn ignition switch to the ON position
    2) Press SEL/RESET button repeatedly until the engine oil life indicator is displayed
    3) Press SEL/RESET button for about 10 seconds. The engine oil life and the maintenance item code(s) will blink.
    4) Press the SEL/RESET button for more than 5 seconds. The maintenance item code will dissappear and the oil life will reset to 100.
    Good luck!!! ;)
  • Thank you, I'll check again.
  • You're the best! Thank you!! :) :)
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    I have an accord but the process is the same. Thanks for defining the steps!