Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dodge Dakota Fuel Pump/Fuel System Questions

2»

Comments

• josh59josh59 Posts: 1
    Ok so i have a 91 dakota with the 3.9 v6. when i barely push push on the gas peddle it sputters and wants to die it does it when its warm and cold but its just that one spot every where else is fine except the one spot when i barely push on the peddle runs fine except that spot

Any advice thanks!!
  • jpwats6jpwats6 Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Dakota 2wd 6 cyl., and whenever I back up and stop to put the truck in gear, it just shuts off. it seems like it has to be a fuel delivery system problem but i have no idea what it might be.
  • carvermancarverman Posts: 101
    I have a '98 V8 (318) the fuel pump is controlled by the fuel pump relay
    which is controlled by the PCM (power control module)/engine management
    computer. Assuming the fuses are good, the fuel pump relay controls fuel
    delivery to the fuel rail/injectors. (normal operating pressure is 45-50 psi)
    If the engine is running, pulling the fuel pump relay will stop the fuel pump
    (located in fuel tank) from running and once the pressure in the fuel rail
    bleeds down to less than 25 psi, the fuel injectors will stop working and
    the engine dies being starved of fuel.

Assumption here is that your V8 is similar to mine and has the same
    control circuits.
    The ASD (auto shutdown relay) will kill the injectors, and ignition coil.
    It is controlled by the PCM. The check engine light will probably come on.

For the ASD relay to NOT operate..all sensors need to be functional.

For the ASD relay to operate any one of the Critical sensors indicating
    some kind of fault to the PCM (camshaft or crankshaft) . The PCM
    will de-energize both the both the fuel pump relay and the ASD relay.
    is in the fuel pump module
  • carvermancarverman Posts: 101
    This fuel pump module in the tank is a very stupid design. Not only do you have
    to drop the fuel tank (and it needs to be partially empty), but getting at the filter
    pressure regulator is a real chore. I wanted to change my fuel filter and was
    told by a couple of aftermarket parts places.."no listing on that item".
    So in essence, you have to wait until the fuel filter clogs up or buy a complete
    new fuel pump module for several hundred dollars.
    Very stupid engineering..Dodge/Chrysler!
  • jman45jman45 Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem on my 2002 Dakota. Did you ever get the problem resolved and if so what did you have to do?
  • The floor controller on my 97 Dodge Dakota 4 X 4 will not move! Anyone have suggestions?
  • CTM = Central timing module, located behind the Glovebox, this is the anti theft, and most likely you need a replacement CTM to fix your problem, if you have a v6 your in luck, the v8 is expensive...
2»