Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Altima 2008 Maintenance and Repair

2»

Comments

• cricri Posts: 4
    I don't have any information for you.. but I am wondering.. it's been days now.. have you had the problem again? Has it been corrected? What are the findings if any?
  • I have a remote start installed on my 08 coupe and I need to place my foot on the break and press the start button twice from inside to keep my car running the whole time.

I did ask the installer before instillation that I didn't want remote start to turn off on me and that I have a keyless push button start ignition.
  • I have Nissan Altima 2008 model that I got serviced 2 months back. Suddenly after the service, mileage as gone down considerably. It used to be around 21 mpg in city but right now is around 15.5 mpg or so. After service I only drove like 1000 miles and has just total 5000 miles on it.

One day, just to check, I opened the hood and found that car coolant is almost at the minimum point. The other point that I noticed was car, when idle, has RPM more than 1000 and when started in morning goes up to 2000 without doing anything immediately after switching on the ignition.

I went to the dealer and they said car is okay and has no problem. And I guess they were just checking engine codes or waiting for check engine light to turn on.

Someone told me that there is possibly a problem with Engine Idle controller. Can anybody explain this to me and any idea what should be the RPM range when car is started first time in the morning? Is there any such range, I can tell the dealer that car is going beyond so that he agrees that car has some problem.

Your help is appreciated.

Thanks
  • jd10013jd10013 Posts: 779
    1. your mileage difference could be because of the whether. cars never get as good of mileage in colder whether as they do in warmer whether.

2. the coolant level our seeing is in the reservoir. the level will go up and down depending on the temperature of the engine. when a liquid is heated it expands. thats what the reservoir is for, to hold the extra volume of antifreeze due to heating. when the engine is cold, there will always be less coolant in the reservoir

3, when your car is cold, the engine will idle higher. a cold engine is very ineficent, and the idea is to warm it up faster. thats why the increased idle.
2»