Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2009 Toyota Corolla Problems and Repairs

Comments

• Thanks so much for the info! I'll pass it on to my mom and I'm sure she'll be going back to the dealer to talk to them again.
  • I've been noticing lately that the washer fluid in my 2009 Corolla does not spray very high up on the windshield. Am I just noticing something that is normal, or is there possibly something wrong? :mad:

Thanks,
    Erik
  • mnfmnf Posts: 404
    Check the spray holes as they can get clogged very easy and mis direct the fluid.

Good Luck

MNF
  • terceltomterceltom Posts: 1,017
    They can reaimed with a pin of something very sharp by inserting into the little hole and moving where you need it to spray. It could also be partially blocked remove the little hoses under the hood and check the tubing for blockage.
  • I am having the same problem but the dealership assures me that is the way it is supposed to be. I will be trying an adjustment this weekend myself to see if it helps.
    I also find that the wipers do not do a very good job of keeping the windsheild clear. They have changed the blades and it is no better. The suggestion I was given was to go to Canadian Tire and buy new wiper blades.
    :mad:
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,710
    Is your car brand-new? It's possible that some of the protective coating used during shipment is still on the windshield. You might try cleaning it with good glass cleaner e.g. Bon Ami to see if that helps.

If the problem is clearing snow and ice (likely since you said "Canadian Tire"), you could get the special winterized blades that are available at any auto parts store.
  • I got my car in July and the original blades did not clear the windsheild properly in the rain. They also splattered a lot. The replacements that the Toyota dealership put on are no better.
    Do you really think a consumer should have to purchase new wipers for a brand new car?
    I don't know if I mentioned it but I had an 05 Corolla and did not have this problem.
    I appreciate the comment about a protective coating, I will definitely look into that possibility...thanks.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,710
    Do you really think a consumer should have to purchase new wipers for a brand new car?

No. And I never have over many years of car ownership. Which leads me to believe it's not the wiper blades, especially since a new set of blades didn't help.
  • I find the position uncomfortable as well. The front headrests are supposed to go up and forward in a rear end collision to protect the neck. It already pushes my head forward as it is. If the active headrest works like it supposed to when I'm rear ended, it'll probably snap my neck off :cry:

The active mechanism from what I read is in the upper portion of the backrest. The headrest itself doesn't fold forward. It is triggered by pressure from the lumbar area on the backrest. It seems like the headrests have already been activated or have never been deactivated on installation. There is no reason the drivers and front passengers heads have to be in contact with the headrest in normal driving position. If the car was designed to be driven with your head resting on the headrest, there would be no need for an active headrest.

Another possibility is that the wrong headrests were installed or maybe the correct headrests were installed but Toyota did not install the active mechanism in the backrest. One thing for sure is the headrest position is WRONG both for comfort and function as an active headrest. Like I said, if your head is already tilted too far forward, any abrupt forward motion would injure your neck and not protect it.

If you feel something is wrong you should call Toyota Labor Relations and complain. You could get the 800 number from your dealer. They are very helpful and will contact your dealership so they could inspect your backrest/headrest promptly. More people should complain and not try a temporary fix like swapping the front to back headrest or removing it altogether.
  • Did you do the adjustment?
  • I, too, got a crick in my neck due to the forward angle of the head rest (not to mention frequent headaches!). I found putting it on the lowest setting and tilting the seat back slightly helped immensely.
  • I've had my 2009 Corolla since Nov 2008. Approx one month after delivery (700 miles), the front brakes started making a grinding noise when stopping in reverse (backing out of driveway). The condition is most noticeable from a cold start. It makes a sound similar to ABS brakes when engaged but not as loud. After the car is warmed up (driving 5 miles at 35 mph), it isn't noticeable.

I've had it serviced three times and have been told it's just glazing on the brake pads and they (brakes and rotors) have to warm up. The brake pads have been replaced. Has anyone else had this problem?

My concern is that the grinding sound is actual damage occuring that won't be an issue until after the warranty runs out. I tend to keep my cars a long time though my last one was a Honda (14+ years).
    Rest assured that if you really have some kind of mechanical problem I'm sure it will reveal itself within the next 35,300 miles or November of 2011.
  • I have experienced this, too, with my 2009 Corolla and other previous cars. Nothing to worry about. The technician(s) you spoke with is / are correct!

:)
    I'm 6' and the headrest in my 2009 Corolla is a non-issue for me. I keep mine all the way down.
  • brulebrule Posts: 22
    I hope you smart folks can help. I have many never toyota's another with EPS with no problems. I test drove 3 other 2009 Corolla's with no issue. It's only on this 2009 Corolla purchase just days ago. It will not track true, either steer to the left or right. The steering is a cause for concern on my long 200 mile trips. It seems like I am trying to balancing a pipe on top of a beach ball, it tries to roll to either side. The Toyota service says everything is up to specs and it's a common issue with the new EPS as of date found nothing wrong. I have dropped it off again and left the car long term to see if they can find anything wrong. The service manager suggested for me to let 2 lbs of air of the front tires to 30 lbs. Thanks :mad: :lemon:
    There have been numerous complaints about this characteristic of the new EPS on the 2009 Corolla. I for one, have found this to be a non-issue with my XLE. Yours however is puzzling because you seemed not to be bothered by this with the other Corollas you test drove. Sounds like to me that your car might have some kind of problem. I'm sure you mentioned to the Toyota Technician that you have not experienced this with the other 2009 Corollas you test drove. Perhaps you could try another Toyota dealership and see what they say. Other than that I would just keep pushing the dealership where you purchased the car for some kind of resolution or correction. Please keep us informed.
    I sure will. It's still in the Toyota Dealer for longer then I have drove it. I hope they get it fixed really soon. My rent car is costing me alot of money.
    Are you aware that Toyota should supply you with a rental car under your warranty coverage when you are having a problem that necessitates that your car be kept for longer than a day?
  • Does anyone know how to turn off the "Maint Reqd" light? It came on when my 2009 Corolla S approached 15,000 miles. I had my brother, a technician, do the scheduled maintenance so I wouldn't have to bring it to a dealership.

I'm thinking a dealership will charge me to turn off the light.

Thanks,
    Erik Haan :D
  • vchengvcheng Posts: 1,284
    I think it goes like this, but please confirm it in the manual.

Leave odometer on mileage reading. Turn igntiion to "on" but do not start while holding down the odometer reset knob. Keep pressing knob until the odometer digits flash a series of dashes and stop. Release knob and turn ignition off.

The Maint Reqd light show now be reset for 5000 miles. (I think that each dash displayed is 1k miles, so if you want an earlier reminder, say 3k , you can let go of the reset knob earlier. You cannot set an interval longer than 5k miles though.)
    Thank you for the infomation:

I had no idea.
    thanks,

FYI: Still still at the Toyota Shop (I now have it longer then I have ever drove the new car) :lemon: :lemon:
  • Anyone else have issues with their hubcaps rusting on their 09 Corollas? I have about 12,000 miles on my car, and I have a lengthy commute to work. Given that I live in Vermont, I try to keep my car washed as often as possible due to all the salt that's used on the highways. Still, I was disappointed to see a lot of rust on my two back tires this morning; it's concentrated around the outer rim. Suggestions? Thanks.
    I really nope they get the steering issue fix. It's like something takes control of my steering and tries to drive me off the road. :lemon:
  • Try to just used to the wheel. Always use both hands if the steering starts to pull.
  • Our Toyota Corolla Club have reported to Toyota the new EPS months back.
    But it seems that the characteristics of the EPS on the 2209 Toyota Corolla are either enjoyed by many, just accepted by others and disliked by some. Therefore, I guess it's safe to say that the acceptance of the EPS is just a matter of opinion. Then you have the drivers that say they have experienced this "drift" in some of the 2009 Corollas they have test driven but not others. So some might ask is this just a problem with some of the 2009 Corollas but not all of them? Could it be faulty installation in some? or perhaps defective parts in others? I still say it's the ability of the driver to adapt, accept and enjoy. I for one, just love the ease of the steering and the ability to control the car with so little effort. I have never experienced any drift whatsoever. Toyota is not the first automaker to use this new Electronic Power Steering.
  • I've had my 09 Corolla since last Jun.

It took a couple of weeks to get use to this new steering since I previously drove a Malibu and it felt 100% different on the road.

I've taken several long trips and now I really enjoy the way the Corolla steers and handles. No problems with drift as discussed before.
    Hello Toyota Corolla 09 folks,
    :mad:
    We have almost the same problem with our new Corolla (2009). Toyota service told me it a normal steering (issue) problem with this year of car. So far there is no fix that they can do. I think I am driving a shopping basket at 60 mph speeds. My car wanders all over the road.