Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2009 Toyota Corolla Problems and Repairs

Comments

• brulebrule Posts: 22
    Thank you Toyota for fixing my steering problem on my 2009 Toyota. If you folks need to pull out of CALF come to TEXAS! We will offer you cheaper and better deals on land and workforce.

Bill
  • brulebrule Posts: 22
    CA Toyota Plants are getting smaller but the San Antonio Texas plant is now expanding. Thanks from Texas folks.
  • Just a note to all, i learned the hard way that side air bags will not go off in a t bone accident! Me and my 2 young kids were driving in my brand new corolla and were broadsided and spun around 180 degrees, couldnt even open the door where my 9 year old was, no air bags deployed. Contacted toyota and was told they will only deploy in rollover accidents. My daughter had to go through 4 months of therapy for her head and neck injuries, and still having headaches. I was under the impression this was a very safe car or I wouldn't have traded in a large suv! Oh well, we are alive!
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,710
    I can't imagine why someone from Toyota would tell you that the side airbags will deploy only in case of a rollover. That is dead wrong. For example, it is clear the side airbags deployed in both the NHTSA and IIHS side impact tests, which hit the middle of the driver's side, straight-on.

One possibility here is that the point of impact was on one end of the car vs. in the middle. Your note about "being spun around 180 degrees" indicates that this in fact might have happened. The side airbags are triggered by sensors. If the car is hit where there are no sensors, e.g. in the front or rear fender, it's possible the airbags won't inflate. That happened to me recently when my Jetta was hit on the driver's side front fender, and the car spun around from the impact. No air bags inflated, but all I got was a bump on the head.

If you have not yet reported this incident to the NHTSA you might want to do that. If there is reason to believe the airbags should have deployed and did not, they could start an investigation. Or they could use the data to support a change in SRS design, e.g. change when side bags are deployed.
  • hello everyone I just wanted to say after reading your reviews that I have had no issues with my 09 corolla.I have just over 7,000 miles on it.no rattles or any of that funny stuff so far.the onl thing i have noticed is that it does run ruff when I just sitting at a idle I see the tach go up then down and it feels like it is skipping but once it's in gear it's great.
  • terceltomterceltom Posts: 1,017
    Well a new car certainly should not idle rough. I would certainly have it checked since it's still under warranty.
  • Hi everyone.....I finally had the opportunity to buy a 09 Corolla 1.8L
    engine from a junkyard. The engine is basically complete minus
    the usual items they will resell: Alternator, starter, and most of the front
    engine pulley components.
    It didn't cost much since the block was cracked from the accident
    and unrepairable, but it's fairly clean and will make a great teardown
    for someone like me that loves working on engines and I'll be able
    to see exactly what my own engine looks like internally. After I'm done
    with it I'll probably donate it to a local technical school for training.
    I have it mounted on my engine stand and will report back as it's
    dismantled.
  • For those that change their own oil......if you buy a 65mm 14 flute
    oil cap wrench it will fit the plastic filter cap just right and make the
    job much easier.
  • Please disregard the 65mm size I stated above.

The correct size for the oil filter cap wrench is 64mm with 14 flutes
    (flats) on the wrench......the 65mm will slip and not fit firmly on the flats.

It can be obtained from Amazon.com for about $12.95 and $4.99
    shipping. Search for "Avalon oil filter wrench".

You'll see several reviews there from people that have used
    this wrench and that it fits the filter cap correctly.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,667
    I don't think the 64mm is correct, because the Toyota part # 09228-06500-02 is made by SPX Corp. and is listed as a 65mm.
    Mcdawg,
    Yes you are correct. I apologize for the misinformation. You need the cap wrench that fits 65mm only. The 65mm-67mm wrench is the one that slips. I bought my 65mm cap wrench at Advance Auto Parts for $4.00 I hope I didn't confuse anybody. I repeat, you need the cap wrench that fits 65mm only.
    Disregard my post number #564
  • I made some progress on the disassembly of the 1.8L engine.

All the valve train components have been removed and
    disassembled including: both camshafts, valves, springs and
    timing chain, head and gasket. Nothing really impressive
    except the cam gears assembly that allows for the VVT (variable
    valve timing).

I found it interesting that this teardown engine was also
    missing the oil filter plastic cap......people might be having
    to replace these if they use improper means/tools for service.
  • I owe Corolla S 2009 since April 2008. All this time I have being monitoring oil consumption in my car.
    My Corolla's engine is burning the oil. Between the oil changes(every 8 000 km) I have to add 2 L .
    Besides, it is kind of difficult to read the oil mark on my Corolla after 20-30 min of turning the engine off. To see it clear(like in all cars I drove before) I have to wate 1-2 hrs, but the best is in the morning, after car is resting for 8-10 hrs.

Does anybody mention this ubnormality.
    There is a TSB out for this problem - just involves a simple ECM (engine control module) reprogramming. Just take it to your dealer and the problem should be solved.
  • Thanks for your advice. I took the car to the dealership and they had a difficulties with reprogramming, so they ordered a new computer and two days later installed in my car.
    I will continue monitoring the oil level and let you know if it helps.
    By the way, the TSB for Canada is: #TSB3046.
  • Just received my new oil filter wrench and I'm happy to report
    it fits the filter cap perfectly.....not loose, not too tight, and goes
    completely on.

It's made by Assenmacher Specialty Tools model # TOY 640.

And the big surprise..... it's marked as 64mm.

Previously I did all my oil changes at the base hobby shop
    utilyzing all their specialty tools and nice drive-on lifts, but
    it's now closed so they can build a new facility so I'll be
    using my garage for awhile.
  • I agree with Backy. I just had my 09 Corolla into the dealership last night for the brake recall as some Canadian cars were affected.
    I would contact Toyota head office if you don't get anywhere with your dealer
  • Where did you buy it?
  • I feel your pain! Here's my story...I have a 2009 Toyota Corolla as well. I had my brakes done 3 times since I bought my car in May of 2008. The first time they replaced them, no problem. The second time they replaced them they said they resurfaced the rotors and that's all it needed. Then when they were grinding once again they said no we are not going to cover this repair. I fought with the dealer and Toyota and finally they resurfaced the rotors and the brakes once again. Personally I think they should replace them the right way. NEW BRAKES AND NEW ROTORS like any other mechanical repair shop. They were cutting corners and jeopardizing my family's safety by not doing it right. Seriously, who has brakes that go out every 3 months? No one I know. Does Toyota care? NOT AT ALL!!! They also stated on my last repair slip that there would be no more "covered" brake repairs by Toyota from that day forward. Period! Then while talking to them, they started drilling me on my driving saying that it is the driver that causes the brakes to fail so quickly, and it's not the car so they should not be liable for the repair! OMG! This customer service sucks and so do the brakes! I told them that my family has possession of all the repair slips for the brakes and if anyone gets hurt or dies as a result of the brakes failing, they would be sued for murder, knowing that this car has brake problems and they are unwilling to work with me "the customer". I guess customer safety and health is no longer an issue with Toyota! Next time I buy a car it will not be Toyota. My money will be spent elsewhere.
    A couple of things. First of all you don't state if your car was part of the recall or was it just a wear and tear problem on your end? If your car was recalled then yes you are correct, they should have replaced both rotors and brake pads if they were part of the recall. If it was just wear and tear on your end then they did you a favor by fixing your car for free. Wear and tear is clearly not covered in the warranty for almost any type of car. Another note, grinding rotors down instead of replacement is a very common and acceptable means to put a new, flat surface on your discs for the pads to push against. But, here again, if it was a recall new rotors should have been used. I hope you don't have any further problems with your car.
  • Got to amazon.com and do a search for: avalon oil filter wrench.

Cost about $18 shipped.

Cheaper ones are available at some auto parts stores but
    be warned many slip especially the plastic ones or those
    that fit multiple sizes....such as those marked 64-67mm.
    Autozone and Advance Auto have the metal 65mm size for less than $10.00. If you buy the 65mm only, it won't slip. Buy the combo. 64-67 and it will slip.
  • sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,654
    Had owned 2 Corolla's & 2 Camry's in the past and the brakes really sucked...very low pedal with grinding noises. Toyota repaired all four cars under warranty but the problems eventually came back. We decided to ditch Toyota for that reason alone and have never looked back. The current Mazda3 in our fleet emits a lot of brake dust but pedal modulation is very good actually...have seen many other Mazda3's & Volvo S40's with the same rear brake dust issues...so we live with the issue. My Civic has great brakes but I tend to be hard on them, just replaced the front pads at 23k miles/3 years ownership. No brake dust issues either.

Am very impressed with my kids Accent & Versa's brakes also...both have the abs option and no brake dust issues. Hopefully the next ride wifey chooses won't have the brake dust issues but she plans to keep it another year or two...which is good as the car has shown almost perfect reliability. I now she'll check out the new generation Mazda3 first when she's ready. She absolutely loves the ease of driving her 3 and I'd be quite happy for another 3S next time.

The Sandman :sick: :shades:

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

My '99 Corolla (8th generation) still had the original rear brakes at 115,000 miles and the front pads were replaced and rotors turned once at around 70,000 miles. Most of this time was about 65% 2 lane highway with traffic lights, 35% city. I've had nothing but good experiences with Toyota brakes starting with the 7th generation Corolla (93-97). The 6th generation (88-92) - not as good.

Other people I've known with 7th generation or newer Corollas tell me similar stories about how pleased they are with the brakes.
    My 2009 XLE is my fourth Corolla. All of my Corolla's brakes always lasted very long for me before needing replacement. Making this more remarkable is the fact that 90 % of my driving is city driving. Of course I am not hard on brakes like some are. I don't speed up to red lights or stop signs and then jam on the brakes.
  • I've had my 09 Corolla LE for about 18 months and don't have
    any complaints about the brakes....although I am very easy on
    the brakes coasting to most stops, anticipating slowdowns
    and using light pressure most of the time so my front pads
    should last for many years.
    In 1986 I bought a new Toyota pickup that I had for 10 years
    and about 140K miles and NEVER had to replace the brakes.
    And yes, it still had material left on the shoes ( back then front
    and rear was shoes) it passed state inspection each year. In
    fact that truck was so reliable the only items I ever replaced other
    normal maintenance was the fan belt and 1 tire.

My previous Malibu had awful brakes that felt spongy
    and even when the car was new the pedal would slowly go
    almost to the floor by the time you were stopped. Dealer
    told me this was normal and sure enough when I had the
    occassion to drive another NEW Malibu they operated the same.

So the Corolla brakes to me are just fine.
  • Can someone explain to me why a 15,000 mile maintenance costs so much. I have been quoted by two dealerships, one quote was for $290.00 and the other for $238.50. This quote excludes tire rotation and oil change as I had those done not very long ago. Is this price a rip off or what? This is in Miami, Florida.
  • cpu8900cpu8900 Posts: 53
    To answer that question you first have to understand
    how a typical dealership makes money. Most make
    higher profits from the repair/body/parts shop than selling
    vehicles.
    Additionally, realize that the shop labor rate is about $90/HR.
    Of course the tech. doesn't make that much but shares
    with the dealer.
    So the price you quoted is probably for about 2.5 hrs. of labor
    since you didn't mention any parts/consumables.
    Whether or not it's a ripoff can only be answered by those
    that feel the service keeps their car safe, reliable, and within
    the guidelines established to keep the factory WARRANTY
    in place.
    To answer you very plainly, yes it is a BIG RIPOFF! My 2009 XLE is my fourth Toyota Corolla. Never have I taken any of my Corollas for any of the specified mileage check-ups/maintenance. All I ever did was changed my oil every 3000 miles and rotate my tires at 7000 miles all myself. My Corollas have never left me down and yet and my oldest Corolla has 152,000 miles on it. Should I ever need warranty service I save all oil and filter receipts or any receipts I accumulate pertaining to my cars and I'm covered. You can do the same thing. I'm not saying do it yourself like I do but go to a private garage and have them only do the required service and you will also save a lot of money and yet keep your warranty in full force.