Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2009 Toyota Corolla Problems and Repairs

Comments

• nanapat2nanapat2 Posts: 8
    This 2007 Corolla was not my first Toyota Corolla nor was it my first new car I have owned about 12 new car's in my lifetime.. But it has been and still is a horrific experience for me.. In good conscience I "cannot recommend" the Toyota product to anyone.. You may also want to check the web sites for NHTSA (national highway traffic and safety), Consumer Reviews and Consumer Safety site's also.. Consumer Review's is much stricter on Toyota review's now.. And if your new Corolla also come's from the NUMMI factory in Calif "caveat emptor".. The NUMMI factory is in the middle of a whistle blower lawsuit for allowing car's with known defect's to leave their factory anyway.. good luck with your new car but buy a Ford..
  • m6userm6user Posts: 2,954
    Thanks. I realize you've had some problems but I know a lot of people that just rave about their Corolla. I think "bad apples" can show up in any manufactures line. I do currently own an 07 Mazda6 (partnered with Ford) and have had no problems whatsoever in 9,500 miles. My list of possible new cars is quite wide at this point and I'm going through the elimination process.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,667
    Consumer Reports rates the 03-08 generation Corolla as tops in reliability, just like prior generations. This matches 5 people I personally know very well that have Corollas from the 03-08 generation - the worst problems - a burned out brake light, and a rattle fixed under warranty. All but one came from California plant.

Your bad '07 seems to be the exception.

I would expect the new 09 to be just as good, although I never recommend anyone get the first year of a new generation, no matter who built it.
  • lls57lls57 Posts: 57
    I've had my 09 for 2,500 miles now, and don't think the drifting is a problem. Until I read about it here, I never noticed it. Now, if I pay attention, I notice there is a slight drifting when driving down a straight highway. It is so minor though, that I wouldn't worry about it.
  • busirisbusiris Posts: 3,490
    I purchased a new 05 Corolla LE automatic transmission for my daughter in April 05. It came equipped originally with a cheaper version of Goodyear tires, which lasted about 20 K miles (she now has 60K miles, 70% interstate commuting back and forth to college).

I replaced the tires with Goodyear Assurance tires, which have a great wet-weather tread (and, excellent wearing characteristics).

Like you, I have never noticed the drifting issue while I was driving, and she is such "sensitive" driver that I am sure she would have complained to me about it if it was an issue.
    I was really referring just to the 09 Corollas. They have went to a total electric steering system and a lot of reviewers and some consumers say that the car has to be constantly adjusted to hold a center line which can get very tiresome on long drives. Also, they say that it takes some getting used to as the car will not "straighten out by itself" when turning at slow speed but must be actually steered to center again.

Unlike the good old days when you could back up and crank the wheel and then give it some gas with your hands off the wheel and the wheels would automatically center again from friction. :)
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Posts: 2,697
    The wheel probably has no play at the center position. In a normal car there is some play at the middle so you can slightly move the wheel as you adjust your hands over time and the car will keep going straight. If there is no play, the car will keep moving slightly left and right on the freeway because you aren't able to keep the wheel completely motionless for a long period of time.
    You're probably right. I guess the only way to really decide if it's a factor for me is to rent one for at least a weekend trip and see if I it bothers me. I do know that my Mazda6 has quick steering and slight movement on the steering wheel makes the car move substantially. Just takes some getting used to. Tks.
  • I just test drove an S and one of the things I wanted to check was the steering not staying on line as many reviewers have mentioned. My current car is a Prius with electric steering, so I am used to that and have no problems with it. I noticed no problems at 65 keeping the car on line, but if I took my eyes off the road I had to bring the car back in line as soon as I looked back at the road. I think that is just not being used to driving the car. All in all, the test drive was agreeable.
  • rceccatrceccat Posts: 1
    I purchased a 2009 Corolla 2 weeks ago. I find the steering more sensitive to slight movement, but it is not a problem. At first I found the car had troubles going straight as other users report. Once you get used to it, the car tracks very well. It is just different than hydraulic power assist.
    Thanks. My Mazda6 has pretty sensitive steering as well and it took some getting used to after driving cars that were more "boaty" for lack of a better term. How do you like the way it handles in tight parking maneuvers in regards to the steering?
  • thaipthaip Posts: 32
    Hi,

Is anyone out there has a problem with the airbags system for the 2009 Corolla. I had my 09 Corolla LE also made in Japan for almost three months and almost 3000 miles and everything was running smoothly. However, I just noticed that the SRS light is on and the passenger airbag light is off even if someone sitting in it.

Is there a possiblity that the airgbags will pop out even without a crash? I know that there is a great chance that they will not pop out if there is a crash.

I have scheduled with a local toyota dealer to address the matter already and praying they can get it fixed in one trip:)!

thanks.

P.S. Anyone exprienced the same problem, please share.
  • Hello if the SRS light on the instrument cluster is on and the light on the center panel under the radio shows air bag off when someone is sitting in it you have a problem and should get it check ASAP. When ever the SRS light is on when driving it means you have a malfunction in the air bag system.

I have owned my 2009 corolla S now for over 3 months and 4400 miles. I never had problem with it, yes the steering is senative but it was no problem for me once i drove like 500 miles and got used to it. I love this, also gettting 40-43 mpg average!!
  • Hello does anyone know what the window tint % is on the s model. is it like 80%, 50%, 35% i see a tint but not sure how dark it is.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,686
    Wow, you are getting great FE on your Corolla! Is it a stick or automatic? Also, I am curious how you managed to buy a 2009 Corolla in mid-January, before they were generally available for sale. Do you live outside the U.S., or have some special connections perhaps?
  • jjandersjjanders Posts: 17
    So the new Corolla has been out for a few months now, I'm kind of wary about buying a first model year car.....have any major issues popped up yet, or is it still too early to tell? Browsing this thread and some other forums on the web, there doesn't seem to be anything too major, some complaints about rattles/squeaks and the new electric steering, are most people happy so far?

I'm currently deciding between the Civic and Corolla, they are fairly equal in most categories, Civic wins a couple, Corolla wins a couple....but if Toyota continues the 0% for 36 month special into May, that may sway me to the Corolla.
  • nanapat2nanapat2 Posts: 8
    :lemon: LOL ,, after picking up a new 2007 Corolla in 5/2007 I would never with a clear conscience recommend a Toyota Corolla or a Toyota product.. And don't look for Toyota USA Customer Service they cannot spell the word's..
  • sparklandsparkland Posts: 108
    JJanders, my wife and I were in exactly the same boat. We needed a different car since my oldest son inherited my wife's 2000 Civc. We shopped Civics and Corolla's. We presently own two Toyota Camry's and one Honda Ridgeline and one Honda Civic . We like both manufacturers.

For the Civic we viewed assets as being well designed, great gas mileage, nice choice of colors. The negatives were no traction control (coming in new model year), more costly to repair than Toyota (service tech who works on all brands stated that), hard to see the front of the car with the sloping hood, and no dealer incentives-financing or otherwise.

For the Corolla, we thought the assets included traction control,
    dealer 0% financing, great gas mileage, dependability, a few more options for the money. On the opposite side though the fit and finish were not quite up to par with the Civic. Lots of plastic.

So as you already know it is a dead heat-get whatever car you like. My wife chose the Corolla in the end for one reason-0% financing and the attitude of the Honda dealers. They were nice on the lot but when it came to finalizing the transaction it was tough. One dealer would not even bring over a dark blue civic from their remote lot after we requested it the day before so we could look at the color and drive the car. That was the day we were going to buy. Needless to say we bought a Corolla.

The Corolla deal was not that smooth either. My wife wanted a Gray Metallic Corolla and she just did not like the seats that came with the LE. We looked at the S model and the seats were dark enough but she did not like the blue spots. Asked the salesman about an XLE and she said they did not make that in a Corolla. Probably because they did not have one. We searched all over Denver for an XLE to look at. Finally found one by chance at the Honda dealer who had brought one over from their sister Toyota dealer.

My wife loved that car and we went in pursuit of a Gray Metallic XLE. Come to find out they only 1% of the Corolla's are produced in the XLE configuration. They are tough to find. Finally got one and we are awaiting delivery for Wednesday.

Hope you enjoy whatever car you choose.

Brad
  • it automatic....when in city its about 32 mpg, if i am crusing on the highway going on long trips and just crusing for like 2 hrs it like 42. I brought it the first week of feb from boch toyota in norwood, mass. He is the number one selling toyota dealers in the world!! They had them since Jan 17 i got mine feb 2.
    There is no way only 1% of Corollas produced nationwide are XLEs.
    Maybe 1% of the Corollas that dealer gets. The XLE is little more than what last year's LE was and I have seen plenty of them, not 1 out of 100.
    I undertand the XLE is not much better than last years LE. Toyota "held the line on price" by effectively lowering the options in the trim packages.

As far as XLE's being a small portion of the Toyota's production of Corolla's I only am stating that because that is what the dealers are telling me and of all the Corolla's in Denver, the dealers have fewer than 20 total. There are more than 20 S's at each dealership.

Brad
    Maybe they are rare there, but I have never been to a Toyota dealer that didn't have at least a few 2009 Corolla XLEs on the lot. Maybe 10-20%. Not 1%.
  • thaipthaip Posts: 32
    I have it checked out today and have to waited for three hours and only took them like five minutes to diagnose and fixed. It was wonderful to hear from them that the only problem was the plug was lose and all they have to do is to tight it! It was a relieve.
  • Thats good that it was nothing major...

I was shocked yesterday when i called for a oil change for my 5000 mile service, It is 85 bucks for a oil change, tire rotation, and check of the brakes, hoses belts and top of fluids. I was like why so much, and it because it is 100% Synthetic 0w-20 oil. WOW thats a big price for so little to be done....he said at 30,000 miles it be about 350 bucks to do that stuff plus change the engine air filter and the cabin filter....OMG that alot. i can do the filters on my own!!
  • mcmanusmcmanus Posts: 121
    Find a new dealer. Sounds like they're hungry for business in the service department. My Toyota dealer charges $18 for an oil change which includes topping off fluids and a quicky car wash, but when they're hungry the "suggestions" come out. Hoses, belts, and brakes shouldn't need checking at 5,000 miles. Modern tires can go much farther before rotating and hopefully you can do that yourself.

Is that the oil Toyota recommends? A synthetic oil should last at least 10,000 miles, but would Toyota then honor any warrantee issues?
  • Sparkland, I hope you have your magnetic metallic grey XLE by now. That is exactly what I have; I received it April 15. My dealership located exactly what I wanted in Toledo, only about 300 miles away, and I received it 4 days later, waxed and prepped. I absolutely love it. I've always been a Toyota/ Nissan person and this vehicle is the same quality I've come to expect from these manufacturers. It actually has a more solid feel than my old '92 Corolla; more like my '93 Altima (which was the first year for the Altima and it was one of the best vehicles I've ever owned. It currently has 285,000 miles on it and is still ticking.) There are more LE's out there currently because Toyota wanted to get a lot of the new model 2009's on the road so they'd be noticed, thus creating more business. A less expensive vehicle sells quicker to the masses than a loaded one. I imagine there will be more XLE's on the road next year, or maybe even later during the 2009 model year. However, as I said, I had no problem finding what I wanted, even down to every option I wanted, and only one that I didn't care about (that satellite radio). A lot of it has to do with your dealer. :)
  • Yes it is right inside my book that it uses 0w-20 or 5w-20 synthetic oil. Must be done ever 5000 miles. If not warrntee wouldb void b/c you didn't do what they said. I found another toyota dealer near me that charge me 54 bucks for everything i said earlier plus a car wash. thats not too bad for synthetic around here. jiffy lube charges 45 for syntectic but it not the same 5w-20 like toyota makes. plus they don't check brakes, tires, or car wash. just oild change and top off fluids
    Pennyarcade,

Thanks for asking about our car shopping. Actually we did locate an XLE but it was over 300 miles away and the dealer was going to drive it from Durango to Denver, mountainous terrain and my wife said no.

We own two Toyota's and two Honda's, but the last car my wife had was a 2000 Civic, so when it came to signing on the dotted line, my wife had her heart sat on a Civic in Royal Blue Pearl.

We went to pick it up and the dealer found a really small dent in the roof (not sure how it happened) only two miles on the car. So we can pick it up in a couple of days after the body shop works on the dent. Hopefully no trouble.

Glad you enjoy your XLE-great professional looking color. I would have chosen the Corolla but it will be my wife's car so she had the final choice.

See you,

Brad
  • opendooropendoor Posts: 3
    Can you tell me the steps to remove the front and back door panels on a 2009 Corolla with manual window cranks?

Thanks for your help!
  • nc6239suxnc6239sux Posts: 1
    Just pruchased a 09 Corolla LE. I have 2 questions.

1) I have noticed that he car idles a little higher then most i've seen. Between 600 to 900 and with AC on, 1000. Is that normal, what has your experiences been?

2) Does this car use a timing belt or chain?