Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2009 Toyota Corolla Problems and Repairs

Comments

• mackabeemackabee Posts: 4,709
    "I would be very hesitant about buying a new Corolla right now. The first year of a new model is always unpredictable - might as well let Toyota work the kinks out before you get stuck with something you're not happy with. "

It may be the first year hear but in reality this is a three year old car so any bugs are non-existant. You more than likely get lots of dash rattles due to the hard plastic being used.
    Mack
  • thaipthaip Posts: 32
    that is good to hear but I hope you will get it better when you bring it to the dealer. Did you say in one of the previous post that you will bring it to the dealer, any luck there? I also or kind of exprienced something rattling in my 09 Corolla LE, and it also made in Japan. From time to time, or should I say sometime, I hear some rattling in the front passenger window. In addition, when I hit bumps, I hear sound or noise in the front dashboard particularly near the glove box and toward the passenger side like when you hit a pothole noice. Of course, it doesn't sound as loud as when you hit a pothole. That noise may also sound like when you have two solid things or marbles hitting each other, it is hard to describe it. Anyway, those noises are still torable, therefore, I will let it be for now and let see what going to happen?
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Posts: 7,160
    Background.. The outgoing Corolla and Matrix had exactly the same issues during the first year back in 2002. Dash rattles. But even moreso there was an issue of the clips that held the dash in place, they weren't strong enough to hold the dash and it would come away from the body.

Fixed quickly where needed and this outgoing Gen 9 has been dead solid perfect since.

I too have an occasional rattle on cold days in my 2005 Prius but it's been hit twice and the windshield replaced. It goes away when the weather is warmer or after driving for 15 min or so. I attribute it to the hard plastics being used in the interiors. There's more variability in dimensions due to temperatures but these new interiors are lighter and safer.

Take your Corolla in and have them 'pad' the places where the rattles occur. This should make them go away.
  • lhayes2lhayes2 Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 2009 Toyota Corolla and noticed that when taking the key out of the ignition and locking the car that a security light blinks continuously. Is this normal?
  • harvey44harvey44 Posts: 178
    Japanese made cars. Not perfection, But much better than Canadian or US made in my experience with Hondas made here and there.
  • jimbo42jimbo42 Posts: 1
    I'm having a real hard time with the electric power steering in my new 2009 Corolla LE. I think there is a real problem with keeping this car going straight on the highway. You constantly find yourself drifting off center, you make the slightest adjustment and the car over-corrects. The steering is way to sensitive. It makes highway driving a very tiresome activity.

Does anyone know what my options here are?
    1. Is there some adjustment a Toyota repair shop can do to make the steering less sensitive?
    2. If that is not possible, should I look into replacing my steering system, perhaps from some other Toyota with EPS, like the Prius, that apparently does not suffer from this problem?
  • nanapat2nanapat2 Posts: 8
    LOL especially when you try to complain to Toyota USA about this issue they will tell you the same thing they told me "nothing wrong with the vehicle it's your driving habit's".. I have a 2007 Corolla (bought new) which has so many issue's it's unbelievable, and I have a tilt wheel that I cannot use etc., etc., etc.. I have filed many, many lemon complaint's on this car but trying to buck the "big business" is like shoveling it against the tide.. I am hoping that this year's hurricane season here in Florida will take care of this problem for me.. In addition, my Corolla was made at the NUMMI Factory in Calif. which is now in the middle of a whistleblower lawsuit for allowing car's with known defect's to leave that factory and ship to dealers with these known defect's.. :lemon:
  • m6userm6user Posts: 2,899
    I have read a lot of professional reviews that mention the same sort of drifting during hwy driving. However, I also read all twenty-two consumer reviews posted on this forum of the 2009 Corolla and I think only one person mentioned it. Can new owners please respond with their opinion of this and how bothersome it is? This car is on my potential buy list for later this spring. Tks in advance.
  • nanapat2nanapat2 Posts: 8
    This 2007 Corolla was not my first Toyota Corolla nor was it my first new car I have owned about 12 new car's in my lifetime.. But it has been and still is a horrific experience for me.. In good conscience I "cannot recommend" the Toyota product to anyone.. You may also want to check the web sites for NHTSA (national highway traffic and safety), Consumer Reviews and Consumer Safety site's also.. Consumer Review's is much stricter on Toyota review's now.. And if your new Corolla also come's from the NUMMI factory in Calif "caveat emptor".. The NUMMI factory is in the middle of a whistle blower lawsuit for allowing car's with known defect's to leave their factory anyway.. good luck with your new car but buy a Ford..
    Thanks. I realize you've had some problems but I know a lot of people that just rave about their Corolla. I think "bad apples" can show up in any manufactures line. I do currently own an 07 Mazda6 (partnered with Ford) and have had no problems whatsoever in 9,500 miles. My list of possible new cars is quite wide at this point and I'm going through the elimination process.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,666
    Consumer Reports rates the 03-08 generation Corolla as tops in reliability, just like prior generations. This matches 5 people I personally know very well that have Corollas from the 03-08 generation - the worst problems - a burned out brake light, and a rattle fixed under warranty. All but one came from California plant.

Your bad '07 seems to be the exception.

I would expect the new 09 to be just as good, although I never recommend anyone get the first year of a new generation, no matter who built it.
  • lls57lls57 Posts: 57
    I've had my 09 for 2,500 miles now, and don't think the drifting is a problem. Until I read about it here, I never noticed it. Now, if I pay attention, I notice there is a slight drifting when driving down a straight highway. It is so minor though, that I wouldn't worry about it.
  • busirisbusiris Posts: 3,458
    I purchased a new 05 Corolla LE automatic transmission for my daughter in April 05. It came equipped originally with a cheaper version of Goodyear tires, which lasted about 20 K miles (she now has 60K miles, 70% interstate commuting back and forth to college).

I replaced the tires with Goodyear Assurance tires, which have a great wet-weather tread (and, excellent wearing characteristics).

Like you, I have never noticed the drifting issue while I was driving, and she is such "sensitive" driver that I am sure she would have complained to me about it if it was an issue.
    I was really referring just to the 09 Corollas. They have went to a total electric steering system and a lot of reviewers and some consumers say that the car has to be constantly adjusted to hold a center line which can get very tiresome on long drives. Also, they say that it takes some getting used to as the car will not "straighten out by itself" when turning at slow speed but must be actually steered to center again.

Unlike the good old days when you could back up and crank the wheel and then give it some gas with your hands off the wheel and the wheels would automatically center again from friction. :)
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Posts: 2,697
    The wheel probably has no play at the center position. In a normal car there is some play at the middle so you can slightly move the wheel as you adjust your hands over time and the car will keep going straight. If there is no play, the car will keep moving slightly left and right on the freeway because you aren't able to keep the wheel completely motionless for a long period of time.
    You're probably right. I guess the only way to really decide if it's a factor for me is to rent one for at least a weekend trip and see if I it bothers me. I do know that my Mazda6 has quick steering and slight movement on the steering wheel makes the car move substantially. Just takes some getting used to. Tks.
  • I just test drove an S and one of the things I wanted to check was the steering not staying on line as many reviewers have mentioned. My current car is a Prius with electric steering, so I am used to that and have no problems with it. I noticed no problems at 65 keeping the car on line, but if I took my eyes off the road I had to bring the car back in line as soon as I looked back at the road. I think that is just not being used to driving the car. All in all, the test drive was agreeable.
  • rceccatrceccat Posts: 1
    I purchased a 2009 Corolla 2 weeks ago. I find the steering more sensitive to slight movement, but it is not a problem. At first I found the car had troubles going straight as other users report. Once you get used to it, the car tracks very well. It is just different than hydraulic power assist.