Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2009 Toyota Corolla Problems and Repairs

Comments

• I purchased my 2009 toyota corolla le in late 2008. After 22000 miles, in the winter of 2009 my car wouldn't start. The temp that night was in the teens. I called my dealership (Ralph Hayes Toyota) and told them of the problems I was having. They sent a tow truck out and when it arrived the car started. There was a 25 degree temp differential in when I initially tried to start the car and when tow truck arrived. The tow driver tried to start the car and it fired right up. He said he should go ahead and take the car anyway so any problems could be resolved. Ralph Hayes kept my car and said they could not replicate the problem I was having and said no codes showed up. Kept my car for two days. No resolve but didn't happen again till December 2010. Friend suggested having battery tested. Normal. Yesterday had the same issue when I tried to start car for work. Now my car is out of warranty and dont know what to do. I am still paying for a car that is sporadically undependable. If anyone might have a resolution to my issues please post. I already tried heet water remover/fuel antifreeze. Made sure all starting connection are tight. Battery tested. Do not leave keys in car, something about immobilizer reset. :(
  • It doesnt take a genius to see the obvious damage control going on in this forum. As you are trolling internet forums to save Toyota face for a buck, just remember the ones that have lost their lives to greed.
  • terceltomterceltom Posts: 1,017
    edited January 2011
    Please don't assume that those of us that like Corollas are out to "save Toyotas face for a buck". I would be careful of accusing others of taking money from Toyota. This thread is not just a Toyota bitchin thread, it's for trying to help and solve other owners problems which is exactly what some of us have been trying to do on this thread for many years, well before Toyota's recent missteps. As a brand new one day member perhaps you should monitor this forum a little while to see how we help others before making such accusations.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,902
    Those who decide they need to continue to post personal comments will lose their ability to post in this discussion. There's a limited amount of "help" in here compared to personal sniping, and I don't think those posts would constitute a great loss to members seeking assistance with their issues.

Focus ONLY on problems & solutions that YOU can provide, not on anyone else's posts, and things will go along just fine.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• I just want to clear up the details of the recall in question since I have the document. I have copy and pasted this directly from the recall instructions. As stated below. Phase 1 was for the 19 coldest states and Phase 2 was for an additional 13 states with cold weather. Phase 2 was not issued to correct the earlier phase, it was issued for new states (and happened to include a new instruction for the noise). As far as I know (after searching Toyotas TSBs on their tech site), they have never released a TSB or any sort of specific fix for the whistling noise. So if someone had the earlier phase repair, or as in my case, they did not do the repair correctly in the 2nd phase, they would have little info to determine where the noise came from.

"To: All Toyota Dealer Principals, Service Managers, Parts Managers
    Subject: Special Service Campaign (SSC) – 90H (Phase 2)
    Certain ‘09 – ‘10 Corolla, Corolla Matrix and ‘08 – ‘09 Scion xD Vehicles Equipped with 2ZR-FE
    (1.8 liter) Engines
    Brake System Vacuum Port

As communicated in late August, 2009, Toyota initiated a Special Service Campaign on the brake system
    vacuum port for certain ‘09 – ‘10 Corolla, Corolla Matrix and ‘08 – ‘09 Scion xD vehicles equipped with 2ZR-FE
    (1.8 liter) engines.

This program is being launched in phases. The first phase was launched in late August,
    2009, as a Safety Recall to 19 cold states that have severe and prolonged cold weather conditions. As this is
    directly related to specific cold weather conditions, the remaining 31 states are not part of the Safety Recall.
    • 19 Cold States: AK, CO, ID, IL, IA, KS, ME, MI, MN, MT, NE, NV, NH, NY, ND, SD, VT, WI and WY

The purpose of this communication is to inform you that Toyota is prepared to launch the second phase of this
    campaign. This phase will be launched as a customer satisfaction Special Service Campaign in the following
    13 states:
    • Phase 2 States: CA, CT, DE, IN, MA, MD, NJ, OH, PA, RI, UT, VA and WV"

Also worth noting, even if someone did not have the recall done themselves, the recall instructions note that:

"Dealers are requested to perform SSC procedures on any vehicles in their stock prior to sale or lease.
    Vehicle SSC completion can be verified through TIS."

While this may not be the correct solution to the original noise complaint. it certainly is worth looking into.
  • mnfmnf Posts: 404
    Your mis imformed it was only selected states but once you hit send its :blush: to late
  • Does anyone else find the 2009 corolla seats really uncomfortable on long drives?

If so, any suggestions on specific items to purchase to make them more comfortable? I have tried an assortment of cushions, seat heaters, and lumbar supports with no luck.
  • I have a 2009 Corolla and my problem with the seats and gas pedal position is so bad I could hardly drive around the corner. I have the car 2 years already and it's been nothing but a problem. It started out with a pain in the ankle and then the knee. I just can't seem to get comfortable, I'm only 5'-8" and I'm all crunched up in this car. I've tried every possible seat position, steering wheel position, you name it, it's just terrible. I'm trying to get Toyota to work out some type of trade in because I have to get rid of this car!
    No not at all, on the contrare I think they are very comfortable. In the previous generation they were known to be uncomfortable but that was resolved with the production of the 2009 and later.
  • Have you tried using cruise control?

I had the right leg pain for a while too (now I just get back and neck pain after long drives). I never had the leg pain with any other car I drove but it got so unbearable that I installed cruise control and basically use it nonstop nowadays. But all my driving is on the highway so it makes it that easy.
  • I do a lot of city driving so i don't know what to do, probably have to sell.
  • The closest thing to a solution I have found is using a seat cushion and lumbar support. I currently use the two below:

http://www.amazon.com/Angel-Sales-PosturePro-Lumbar-Support/dp/B000AP0HY4/ref=sr- _1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1296580927&sr=8-1

http://www.brookstone.com/automotive-comfort_NapForm-Orthopedic-Seat-Blue.html?b- kiid=categoryLandingPage_Automotive_And_Garage_Automotive_Comfort|C4CategoryProd- List1FDT|7177473

The Brookstone cushion is a bit pricey, but amazon has tons of cheaper ones.

The problem with all the seat cushions on the market (including the one above) is that they do not extend all the way to the edge of the seat (which puts pressure on the thighs and can cause back pain from what I have read). My solution was to buy to two cushions, cut one in half, and tape it to the other ones front, thereby extending it all the way to the seat edge. This has helped, though not elminated the pain from driving.

P.S. I also have had some luck putting the headrest all the way down. When it is up a bit, it pushed my head too far forward.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,748
    It might be cheaper (than selling) to install a new seat, e.g. a Recaro, with multiple adjustments.
    edited February 2011
    Too bad your going to have to sell your car due to driver comfort issues. I didn't realize driver comfort was a problem for some, with the Corolla. Perhaps a Camry would have fit you better. Isn't it funny how diferent things affect different drivers? There's the EPS steering issue, which some swear is a problem and others just love it as it is. Then you have the seats, that I myself find rather comfortable, yet others actually have to sell their car because they can't stand to drive in such an "uncomfortable" drivers seat. But I hope everything works out for you without much inconveniance and expense.
  • sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,694
    Got my seat cushion back in '05 after my accident & it's fabulous to sit on...it's that memory foam inside & fits the entire lower seat cushion. Think it cost $125.00 back then, a little pricey but worth every penny! :) Used it at work & in the car...only drive with it now. Check it out.

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

• gannon25gannon25 Posts: 1
    edited February 2011
    >> (post #792) etho1416 wrote:
    >>If you want the recall instructions just email me directly and I'll send you the pdf.

Etho1416, your profile doesn't have your email address. I'm interested in getting this vacuum port/whistle issue pdf (I'd like to avoid buying it if possible) as my dealership thinks there is nothing that can be done. I'm reluctant to post my email address but if you check my profile I'll have it viewable for a short while. Then if you could email me the pdf I would really appreciate it. Thanks!
    PS - I swear I'm not a spammer so you can send me the pdf without worrying.

PPS - Stupid profile won't show my email address no matter what I do to change my account so I guess I'll post my address and then delete this post in a few days. Send pdf to robert.gannon@nscorp.com
  • I have a 2004 Toyota Sequoia and have recently lost the master-key to the ignition and so I bought two keys online and the dealership says that they can't program the keys I bought because they aren't master-keys. Their definition of master-key is a key that has a little s on the metal. But the website promises me that these keys will indeed work and I have valid proof of it to. The dealership says that the may have to change out the ecu in the car. That will be over 300 dollars. I don't know what to do.
    Yes they are indeed correct. I made the same mistake buying some keys online like that. Those keys will open the doors and are Toyota keys but when cut will not start the car as they make no kind of communication with the ignition because they are chipless. Only the keys with the little "s" on the key have the computer chip inside which allows them to be programmed. If you look real close you will see that the keys with chips also have a very little dot on the metal top of the key. To get the best price on original OEM keyfobs go to "remoteforless" on Ebay, you can't beat this guys prices on OEM keyfobs.
  • I've tried everything, I do use cruise alot. What I did notice lately is the position of the gas pedal, it seems to be too far over to the left because of the width of the center console. The console starts out narrow by the knee but gets wider by the gas pedal, I think the gas pedal should at least be inline with the side of the seat. It's definitely a few inches to the left. I feel like the whole time I'm driving I'm holding my leg up and just can't relax. The car just doesn't fit me.
    Your post about the offline pedal was highly unusual so I had to check it out for myself. My gas pedal is in direct line of my right leg, if my pedal was any more further right my right leg would be off the right edge of the seat. Why don't you check other Corollas to see if your seat was some how installed wrongly. I mean that would be highly unusual and unlikely as these cars are made by robots but I just can't understand your pedal being that far offline with the natural position of your right leg.
    I noticed my 2009 Corolla is really showing what I believe is premature front tire wear. I have only 17,500 miles on my 2009 XLE and the front tires don't even seem like they'll get to 25,000 before replacement. I usually don't rotate tires until it's time to replace the fronts then I bring the rears front but I'm going to rotate these tires to the back to extend the life as the rears are looking much better. These are Bridgestone Turanzas size 205/55 R16. Any body else getting better mileage out of these tires?
  • Your right it is pretty much inline with my foot I was really talking about the console it seems to taper in and it feels like my feet have nowhere to go, just not able to relax. Maybe it's just me but what I really think I narrowed it down to is no thigh support on these seats. I'm looking at the Obusforme seat cushion, I've been reading some reviews and it seems to help with the support problem.
    Do you mean that you don't rotate your tires with each oil change? Where we go, they do it for free with each oil change so this way our tires get to be on both axles during their lifetime. Seems to also aid in tire longevity also. Would think it would wear the fronts out prematurely doing it your way. But different strokes for different folks I guess.

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

Well I change my own oil so rotating my tires would require a special stop at the dealer or my mechanic just for that alone. My 2009 Corolla was only ever in the garage once for that one pedal recall. But besides that I do subscribe to the methodology of running the front tires down pretty far then putting the better rears on the front. No time or mileage interval just when they need it. Then when those fronts wear down I buy new fronts. I only ever buy tires two at a time and always put the news ones on the front. I know, a little strange but I know of others that do it that way too. But my point was that these new fronts wore down awfully fast (17,000 miles).
    edited February 2011
    An alignment check could help solve this problem...have a 3 year policy on both cars & get them done on a regular basis. Best $ I ever spent, but it's just like insurance. Trying to get my girls to do the same thing. But I rotate with every oil change as it's included...so why not. Unfortunately, the shop broke the rear lug on the drivers side on our Mazda3. They had to order the whole part from the dealer & finally installed it this morning. But imagine how many times in 86k miles that a torque wrench was used to tighten/take off that lug nut. Just happened to break when they had the car. So they were responsible for it. It was a royal pain to have to go back & have it done but it's just the cost of business.

But think about an alignment especially if you buy new tires. And as for me, would rather buy 4 at a time & maintain them so they all wear about the same. Don't like buying 2 at a time unless absolutely necessary...which might be the case with my Civic soon unfortunately. Had a out of round tire which they replaced at 11k miles, so it has the best tread of the bunch now.

• We have a 2009 Corolla and I agree the seats get mighty stiff on a long drive (over an hour). We also have a 2005 Corolla and those seats are much more comfortable. In fact, I drive the '05 to work which is a 2 hour commute each way and have no complaint about those seats at all. I took the '09 once and after an hour, I was squirming and twisting because my legs and back were on fire. I am so disappointed in the 2009 and how far Toyota has fallen regarding build quality and dependability. Our '05 has never, not once needed to go back to the dealer. This new one has had two recalls and the TSB on the HVAC odor in just the last 24 months. The paint gets scratched just by looking at it hard ! The front bumper cover is held on by cheap plastic attachments to the wheel well liners and have no rigidity at all. I really notice these "downgrades" since I can directly compare the '05 to the '09 sitting right next to each other in the driveway. Now I read on here that the transmission can develop a squeal around 30,000 miles. We haven't reached that mileage yet. I guess the silver lining is that we leased this '09 (or first lease) and got such a great lease deal that it was cheaper to lease and buy it out at the end instead of buying and financing from the get-go. And we were planning to buy it when the lease come up in three months. But now we will turn it in and look for something besides a Toyota.
    What did they do for the A.C. odor?
  • Replaced the evaporator. There is a TSB out on it.
    Yeah, that's what I thought. Mine smelled a little this past summer but it was intermittent, so I just used the foam scrub that shoots up the evaporator to disinfect it. I didn't want them tearing my whole dash apart just to change out the evaporator.
  • Was anyone able to fix 2009 corolla's rattles? I have been to the dealer 5 times and they can't figure it out. I will probably endup replacing this car.

I have knocking noise from the back and another dash rattle in the front. :sick: