Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2009 Toyota Corolla Problems and Repairs

Comments

• terceltomterceltom Posts: 1,017
    I don't know, it sounds like basic automatic upshifting to me. RPM's will drop when it upshifts.
  • I would not mind it if it only did it once every 10 minutes. But it will buck on me sometimes every minute or MORE. (It kind of feels like someone has put a chain on the back bumper and pulls real hard). As I said it was really bad when we first purchased it. Now it is better. Or maybe I've learned to deal with it. When you are forking over $20,000, sometimes you just have to swallow the bile in the back of your throat. For some reason, it does not fight the rev's as bad when it is in cruise. Go figure. Thank you for your suggestion. I had tried that a while back. Did not help too much unfortunately. But again, thank you.
  • So I have a 2010 Corolla. I bought the car used as a previous rental with 9500 miles for under $15k a few months ago, which was a stellar deal at the time with used car prices being ridiculous. I don't have any lights on my dash, but I have a question about the brakes. I notice that when braking over uneven road (paved or unpaved) the brake pedal sometimes feels like it's shaking. I get the same feeling when braking suddenly. However it doesn't happen under normal braking (haven't gotten the chance to test it out on wet pavement). I took it to the dealership and they said the brakes were fine and that it is just the ABS system doing its job. Is this true? I have driven cars with ABS and I haven't felt the actual pedal vibrate before. Should I take it to a mechanic and get the drums/rotors checked out? I don't know how I feel about the Toyota dealership I bought the car from. I went back 2 weeks after I bought the car because of a rattle from the driver side seatbelt pillar (B pillar). They couldn't find the rattle. Went back again a month later and they said they found the rattle and repaired it but it's still there...
  • That's actually correct. It is a safety feature and it simply means the brakes are recalibrating due to the uneven ground or even moisture in the drums. I live by a theory though, Toyota is going to look out for Toyota. Go to an independent mechanic that you believe has a good reputation and that you can trust for any evaluation of a feature in your car in order to put the mind at ease. :shades:
    I would have to agree with the dealer's technician in that I think it's ABS kicking in a little prematurely. That being said, to assure yourself why not take it to a different dealer in your area for a brake inspection. Should be under the warranty yet, right?
  • When my mom had a Rav4 she took it to an independent technician who worked at a Toyota dealership for many years and knows the cars backwards and forwards...he's very competent. I think when I hit 15k in a few months I'm gonna take it to him for the check-up. I'll ask about the brakes then. In the other thread I posted this in I was told it is possibly because of the tires, which are crappy goodyear oe ones.
    That would be a good idea however, you'll then have to pay for it vs. just going to another Toyota Dealer.
  • I think the next closest Toyota dealership is even worse in the service department than the one I bought the car from, though. :confuse: Since I bought the car with 9.5k miles on it I still have to pay for the 15k maintenance though...I still want this rattle dealt with.

Even though I still have some treadwear left on the tires (not sure how to estimate how much I have left, but I have a while before the treadwear bar) but would it be worth chucking the goodyears for some decent tires? I live at about 2500 feet near the Sierra Nevadas so snow comes through maybe 5-6 days a year but in like 3 months or so we're gonna get rain and I'm worried that if my ABS system is overreacting because these tires suck I am worried about what will happen in the rain...
    Well the rattle is a warranty issue so you wouldn't have to pay for that. I wouldn't know about the cost of the pre-determined maitenence schedule needs (other than they are expensive) because with all of my past and present Toyotas I have never taken any of them in for those rip-off appts. All I do is gas them up, change the oil and filters every 4 K miles, keep an eye on the tires, check the brakes and I never have any problems. Example: I have a 2001 Corolla I bought new in 2000; the thing has never been in the shop execpt for brake pad replacement and tires, I do the oil changes. It runs like a clock! My 2009 Corolla has only been in for the recalls. Well, best of luck with your issues.
  • sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,655
    I'd look in the manual and just do what is recommended...nothing more/nothing less. Some of the things the dealer wants to do are unnecessary. Or ask in here or your private ex-Toyota mechanic. I did both and the folks in here were quite helpful. Since my car is a bit over 5 years but has just over 32k on the clock, I did the usual oil change/rotation & alignment stuff. But I also changed out the brake fluid and the tranny fluid due to the age of the car as recommended by Isell I think. I want to keep this car for another 5 or so years, so it was $ well spent. Now that my a/c compressor is bad, I'm gonna have to go back to Honda and see if they'll help me with a part that seems to have worn out prematurely...we shall see what happens!

just do what's necessary on your car...if you let them, the service writers "might" sell you more than you need. Good luck!!

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

• Did you get your issues resolved when you took it to the dealer? I am having t he same sound from my 2009 Corolla S and it has gotten worse over the last year. It went from if my car sat for more than 12 hours to more than 2 hours. Any information on what is causing it can help me go get it fixed.

Thank you!
  • Hey, did you get the starting noise repaired on your car? if so what was the cause? I am trying to know what is wrong so I dont lose a lot of time waiting for them to let my car sit until it will make the noise again.... Any help you can supply will be greatly apprecciated! Thanks!
  • breepbreep Posts: 1
    Can I please get a copy of the pdf (apham@wsu.edu)? I bought a 09 corolla 3 months ago and have already had to get my catalytic converter replaced. I only have about 500 miles left on my warranty and want to make sure I get it checked out before then!
  • windgracewindgrace Posts: 83
    edited October 2011
    Well, the rattle has finally been diagnosed and Toyota today ordered a new part. I think they have to replace the interior trim piece that the driver side seat belt comes out of. The mechanic was shocked that I had been driving the car for 3k miles without going crazy, because it's like having a bee buzzing in your ear the whole time you drive! :sick:

I replaced the OEM Goodyears with Michelin X Radials yesterday and with the improved traction my ABS hasn't once activated going down the normal roads. HUGE improvement! ;)

I noticed about a week ago that there were a few small bumps by the driver's side door handle...turns out that there was some paintless dent repair done to the car before I purchased it with 9500 miles on it. It's hardly noticeable (thank goodness it's a white car, you can only see it with certain lights/angles) and it's not worth repainting the door, but the dealership is going to pay for the 15, 20 and 25k services because I complained about it. Not too shabby. :shades:
  • rr1438rr1438 Posts: 1
    I have a similar problem with a 2009 Toyota Corolla LE in Sacramento, California. Do you think it's also a computer problem? Is there a TBS on this?

Sincerely,

RR1438
  • I purchased a 2009 manuel trans. corolla, and i have to say that i enjoy this car. I purchased it in May of 2008. I have not had many problems with it. I do get really good gas mileage with it. On the highway, i usually get about 45 miles to the gallon and that is by my calculations, not just the car. However, I have noticed that there are times when i get really bad gas mileage, but i think it has to do with the quality of the gas that is put into the car. I have found that the car does better with gas from one gas station than the others I have to choose from. SO watch where you are getting the gas from.
  • I totally agree, I have the same vehicle. :blush:
    edited October 2011
    I don't know if I agree with that assumption as all stations are required to adhere to specific regulations. With the Corollas there is a great fluctuation of gas mileage on the highway vs. gas mileage in the city. You can get 40mpg. (and in your case 45mpg.) on the highway and still only get 24 in the city; could this be your case?

Interesting that you posted this on the "Toyota Corolla problem and repairs" board rather than the "Toyota Corolla real world mpg." board. What sort of problems have you had with your Corolla. Being a 2009 you really shouldn't have had ANY problems so far other than the recalls.
  • Unfortunately, I still have this obnoxious rattle coming in from the driver side B-pillar. I'm sure it has something to do with the fact a dent was removed from the driver side door....the Carfax was accident free when I purchased it but it is a little odd, no?

Either way, I've been to the Toyota dealership like 5 times. The first 3 times they thought I was crazy, and the last 2 times they actually heard the problem and have installed new parts but it still persists. I was actually looking up trade-in values for the car because that's how frustrated I am with this!!

I'm gonna be taking it to my independent mechanic ASAP and hopefully have better luck with him that the horrible service department.
  • I have a 2009 base model corolla. I hit a curb over the weekend and bent my right front passenger side inner tie rod.

According to both the dealer and the toyota tech TIS site (I got a 2 day subscription to see about repairing myself) you can't replace an inner tie rod on this car! You have to replace the entire steering gear! This seems insane. I checked and you could replace just the inner tie rod on the last generation corolla. The different in parts cost is huge, $70 versus $890! Plus lots more labor.

Now my question is, can I replace the innter tie rod on this car. Even though toyota won't sell me the part or provide instructions, I do see that online car parts stores do sell the inner tie rod for this car.

So does anyone know if this repair (replacing the inner tie rod) is possible and where I could get instructions on doing it?
  • There is no maintenance manual or repair manual available for the 2009 Corolla. You cannot even change a spark plug without it. :sick:
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,667
    edited November 2011
    A quick Google shows they ARE available. How about this one?

http://www.tradebit.com/filedetail.php/102820170-toyota-corolla-2009-2010-servic- - - e-repair-manual

True, there is no Haynes manual YET, but I am sure there will be soon. The last generation Corolla (2003-2008) has a Haynes manual available. Why not get a Toyota OEM one (better than Haynes, etc.). If you download, they are really cheap.

Also, plugs don't need to be changed for at least 100,000 miles.
  • So I hit a bump in the road and my stereo makes a loud continuous noise like a low pitched braaaaaap. I turned down the volume and the sound goes dead and won't come back on at any volume level unless I slam a door then it makes the loud noise again. I got another stereo online stuck it in and it does the same thing. :( :confuse:
  • Sounds like you might have a short in the wire going to the speaker in the door...might try disconnecting that speaker either at radio or at speaker and see if that corrects the noise. could try jiggling the wire as well to see if that causes noise to come and go. good luck! :)
  • You can pay $15 for a 2 day membership to the official toyota tech site and print out every repair manual, tsb, recall you want. And its what toyota dealer use.

https://techinfo.toyota.com

Totally worth spending a few hours or a full day printing out every bit of maintenence you think you can do and simple repairs. Checking out the tsb's is a great idea if you are under warranty and can get them fixed for free.
  • Ok, so I dropped off the Corolla yesterday and was given a rental so a technician can spend some time with the car. I was supposed to get a call today...but I didn't. The rental is free until tomorrow afternoon so I hope everything was taken care of! I've deemed it a 'demon rattle' at this point. It's like there's a bee buzzing in my ear whenever I accelerate. It's kind of maddening!
  • Regarding the obnoxious B-pillar rattle:

I bought the 2010 Corolla with 9500 miles on it last summer (original warranty intact). I have brought it to the dealership 5 times for a rattle in the driver side B-pillar. I have also complained because I found that there was a dent removed from the driver side door and I was displeased with discovering several small bumps from the tool used to remove the dent. I have a feeling that the two are related somehow. When I was shown the Carfax the report was clean (no-accident history).

My car has been at the dealership for over a week now and each time I call they say they cannot figure out the rattle. They can hear it, though.

I'm starting to get rather worried. What are my options if they claim they cannot solve the rattle? Can I demand they buy the car back, trade it in for a similar vehicle, give me a good price on a trade-in...? I need to know because this is absolute b.s. and I refuse to accept an "irreparable" 2010 Corolla with an excessive and unnatural rattle I dropped $15k on (and bought new tires for!!) just a few months ago.
  • While my 2009 Toyota Corolla S Model is running, there's a rattling coming from my engine that gets louder when I accelerate. Some people suspect it's my timing chain. I was told it can be adjusted, though some people say it's a hydraulic thing that should sort itself out. I've gone to mechanics, and most are afraid to even take the engine apart to tell me. If someone can tell me what I can actually do, and possibly the cheapest alternative, do lemme know.
    Although it is most likely the most expensive route to go , if it was my 2009, and I do have a 2009, I would only allow a Toyota Dealer to look at it.
  • So it turned out they had to replace the rear side airbag because it was faulty and was causing the rattle in the b-pillar. After the car was in the shop for 9 days I got it back and it seemed all was well...then a few days later 2 new rattles showed up. There is a loud buzzing coming from the driver side grab handle (it's a VERY similar noise to what I heard in the b-pillar and it comes out in the same circumstances) and now when I go over bumps the roof makes a very loud shaking sound and it sounds like there a constant static-y crackling sound coming from the roof. The Corolla has been back at the shop for another 6 days now and they've had to replace a few more parts. This is getting old really fast. :lemon: