Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2009 Toyota Corolla Problems and Repairs

Comments

• mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,668
    Back to the dealer - they obviously created other problems when they did the work.
  • They replaced the water pump with no questions asked, because they had a lot of problems with water pumps in the 2009 Corolla's. This is because 2009 was the first year of the totally new Corolla!
  • Yeah, so I got the car back and (FINALLY!) the rattles around the driver side door (b pillar, grab handle) seem to be gone but I still am getting a bunch of weird noises in the roof. I can't pin point it...sometimes it's a rattle above my head, sometimes there's a weird sound (think rubbing hard plastics together) by the passenger vanity mirror, and a weird static sound right in front of the light fixture. They all disappear when I push up slightly on the roof with my hand. The car just spent 6 days in the shop...I guess next week I'll give the dealership a call. Weighing my options...put up with this vehicle or accept massive depreciation on a trade-in value and try to find a deal on a Civic or Hyundai. I'm not impressed with the build quality at all with this Corolla...my sister's 06 Civic has a much more solid interior and with 110k miles it's rattle free! :sick:
    Strange - I wonder if something else happened to yours? Ours is completely rattle free, ZERO issues. Beware of the Civic - very noisy, in my opinion.
  • I do agree the Civic is a bit noisier and louder...issues that could probably be remedied for the most part with some good tires. Much better steering feel/response than the Corolla and better cornering, too. I don't know, in the past month I've had the roof light fixture, the driver side grab handle, the passenger side kick panel and the entire driver side curtain airbag fixture replaced because of different rattles (the last one is definitely kind of worrying, as I learned after I bought the car that a large dent had been removed poorly from the driver's door because there are several small raised bumps in the sheet metal I noticed one day in a certain light. Weird coincidence?). I'm just wondering what's going to be next. Thankfully it's under warranty...for now. After this experience with a Toyota I'm definitely rethinking my loyalties to Japanese cars!
  • sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,680
    Funny, my Civic is so quiet and rattle free...much quieter than the Corolla and Sentra I used to own. Guess it all depends how carefully the car was put together. Mine is still tight as a drum also. I can honestly say that my '06 Civic is the quietest, most reliable & best car I've ever owned bar none! :)

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

• Yeah, we've had some issues (both of the window regulators on the coupe went out and the windows wouldn't open/close or stay on track) but other than that it's been regular maintenance and there are no rattles after 110k miles. I dunno, it would suck losing stability/traction control on my 2010 corolla for a used sentra or civic or even elantra but at the rate my Corolla is going I feel like I'm going to be replacing plastic panel by plastic panel forever... :(
  • terceltomterceltom Posts: 1,017
    Yes, that is correct !
  • I do have a question. Since purchasing the car there have been numerous occasions where there has been a very loud 'clunk' sound that sounds like it's underneath the car when braking going through potholes. More noticeable when the front tires are going through the bumps. Almost sounds like something has dropped from beneath the car. The brake pedal also jitters pretty violently under these circumstances. Could there also be a suspension issue with the vehicle?
    It is the ABS system - normal.
  • Kind of unnerving hearing a shudder going over bumps/potholes...and I've driven a number of cars with ABS that haven't done that. Interesting.
    You really need to dump this car...every so often you come up with more things you don't like. Why do you still own a car you obviously complain so much about? Cut it from the herd already! :)

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

• Well if it wasn't for massive depreciation loss I would...I'm looking for deals out there. I have had quite a number of problems with the car spending over 2 weeks out of the last 5 months in the shop getting airbags replaced and whatnot. There are a few more rattles here and there...I'm just exhausted going to and from the dealership (40 min drive one way) so I'm cranking up the music and ignoring it. Still, kind of annoying having these problems on a car with less than 16k miles on it.
    I hear ya on that so maybe just best to crank up your tunes and let it be for awhile. I had a year old used Corolla back in '97 and finally just forgot about the bad things and after awhile, it stopped bothering me. So if the car is getting you good mileage and the stereo is good, I'd keep on truckin' and deal with it down the road some. It'll aggravate ya to death, so just don't let it as it's only a car.

• I have the same problem and the dealer said i have to buy the whole thing for over $900 and they said that the older corollas sell them apart. i keep trying to look for a part of it and i cant find it. Where did you get yours at?
  • I just had to replace my alternator on my 2009 Corolla LE. It only had 108k kms on it. I do not think I should have had to replace it this soon. The bearings went. I heard a grinding noise and it had an burning smell. My last car (2004 Corolla CE) had almost 200k kms on it and all I replaced on it were the tires, breaks, and a couple of lights. Now I get this new car and in the last 2 weeks I have replaced the water pump (covered by Toyota) and the alternator (not covered). I spoke to 2 mechanics and they were both shocked as well that the alternator went. Toyota would not budge on replacing it for free. Has anyone else had their water pump or alternator go this soon?
  • So they've had to replace the center dome light fixture that was loose and was causing rattles. There's still an odd one above the front passengers head, it even rattles for a bit after the car is stopped.

When I got the car back the dealership had an inspection sheet saying the tire tread was 9/32nds. That's good, until I realize I had Michelin X Radials put on less than 2000 miles ago that started with 10/32nds. Does that first 1/32 wear out really fast or is there something else wrong? I bought the car with 7/32nds on some Goodyears that were needing replacement pretty much within 4k miles, figured it was crappy OEMS but this does seem odd? I really wish I could dump this car, but I can't afford it at the moment!
    Yes, I had my 2009 water pump replaced because some were faulty; (covered under warranty).
  • Have you looked at the tires yourself?
    Measurements like that generally have a tolerance of +/- one count.
    There's some interpretation there.
  • Yes, I have looked at the tires myself. When I got the tires it was a solid 10/32nd" all around, and now it is a solid 9/32nd." I even have a diagnostic check list from a month ago when the dealership was dealing with another rattle that said 10/32nd" was left. At this rate these 80k rated tires from Michelin will be used up by 16k miles!!
  • I don't think it's valid to extrapolate from 1/32" of wear.
    Besides the one count tolerance new tire rubber is at its softest, and maybe even softer at the surface.
  • Ok, thanks! I don't want to live in the 'what if' world buuut, if in the next 2k miles the tread continues to go down what should I check out? The whole suspension?
  • kruso,
    I wondering if I'm having the same problem. I have an 09 Carolla that makes excessive noise under acceleration and crusing speeds. It almost sounds like I have the car in reverse. I was told that it may be due to the fact that there are only 4 speeds in the automatic or it may be dureto the lack of sound deadning material in the car. I have not taken the car to the dealership because I bought it used and am afraid it will cost a mint to fix plus I have to use it everyday. Wondering if you have learned anything else since your post.
    Sounds like your car is over reving; perhaps your driving in "3rd" gear instead of "D"? The stick has to be pushed to the right side to be in "D". Many people have made this mistake initially.
  • j06j06 Posts: 90
    My 2009 Corolla @17,000 miles might need new front pads .. At 15K service, the advisor told me that I definitely need front break pads.. You won’t drive another month with the ones you have on.. I declined it… I was thinking about changing it.. Its only 17K.. I really don’t need to do any rotor work…

Which brand is the best… ??

I was going with Duralast regular pads from Autozone for $41.99 ..

Any Suggestions ?? Ceramic is better ??
  • Get a second and a third opinion. Most of the time when you go to a dealership they lie. I am at 36,000 miles and have yet to do anything to my breaks. They (dealership) has never mentioned anything of the sort to me. Definetly would get more than one opinion. Good Luck!
  • j06j06 Posts: 90
    Thanks…

I heard that some of the 09 models came with pads that wear prematurely…

I will only change after another evaluation. What you think Duralast / Wagner / Hawk ??
  • I never found a seperate part and ended up replacing the whole thing at the dealership. Luckily I was able to file an insurance claim and they paid for it.

I'll never buy another Toyota thats for sure. This is a common repair on any car. You can hit a curb just about anytime. For them to design the car this way is just insane. Even the guys at the dealership could not figure out why they changed the design since the part is almost exactly the same design as the last one.
  • Hi i'm having the same issue. Did you find the problem? have taken the starter out and tested it and its fine have replaced the starter ignition switch didn't work. left now wit hthe relay??