Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2009 Toyota Corolla Problems and Repairs

Comments

• terceltomterceltom Posts: 1,017
    A gas pedal issue isn't going to make the car wear out prematurely !
  • Be aware - Corolla in reverse acceleration

I bought the 2010 corolla in July first week, 2009. Last week I received an email stating that my car fall under the new A0A call back and gave my car for servicing on Feb 12th. Reached home around 4:30 pm after the fix, parked in my drive way. After a minute, I was reversing the car from my drive way on to the road, the car reached almost to the road, now the car started reverse acceleration by itself, took a U-turn (as my steering wheel is turned left) and hit a small tree in front of my house and stopped. The tree stem is stuck under the car, hence the car was stopped. if there is no tree, the car would have hit my house. The acceleration was so fast, and my leg was on the brake pushing hard, but still no use. This happened more than a week and Toyota and service center are sitting all these days and the response is very poor.

Please let me know if any one faces similar issues. Started contacting the NHTSA about the incident
    edited February 2010
    I don't think the 2008's had the faulty (American) pedal assembly, I think they still had the working (Japanese) pedal assemblies.
  • BakkaBakka Posts: 12
    Think it may not be so much the gas pedal, as developing potential issues with the electric steering. It's like, what's next with 09 model?
    Well in post #687 the poster was concerned about the recall issues affecting the overall longevity of the vehicles life. My response to them was that the "gas pedal issue", or even the "steering issue", (if you want to assume that some vehicles might be having a problem), will not affect how long your car is going to last.
  • AllI can say is that I had a 2008 Corolla with 31,000 miles. The interior was perfect, I had a 6 cd changer, electronic everything. The only thing my car lacked was the stabilizer that my sales guy at mark Jacobson Toyota said will be standard on all sedans in the future. Now I'm not sure why my car had steering problems but it veered me off road to the right and when driving over 45 mph the car weaved in/out. It felt as if i was driving beside tractor trailer all the time if you know what I mean, it was like the wind was blowing me all over the place but there wasn't any wind. In the end anyone thinking about the whole recall issue should have their car evaluated by both an independent Toyota repair service and their dealership's service dept.
    I too would think bout trading in to a Toyota dealer because right now they are offering amazing deals with customer loyalty incentives! I got a fantastic deal. My '08 corolla had 18% interest and my payment was 376 I traded up for the 2010 got 0.9% interest and a FANTASTIC deal! All Toyotas are coming with warranties and guarantees and I'm very happy now.
  • I have not liked the electric power steering since I bought the thing. I drove a 2010 Fusion and discovered that now THEY have electric steering as well....and it sucks too! I guess I will have to find a low mileage 07 Taurus (you know, the old fleet workhorse) and keep it in shape for the rest of my life. :mad:
    Yea, they said that when the first Hydraulic Power steering came out too; drivers wanted to stay with the old manual steering. But, guess what? Hydraulics are out and Electronics are in, and here to stay, so I guess we better start getting used to it !
  • brulebrule Posts: 22
    Melanie,

Did your Vin # start with 1NXBU40E (this is on at 2009) but can't hurt to ask. This plant has been in the news for some disturbing allegation.

Snip from another forum:

Does anyone know how to read a vin # to see if Corolla's were made from this plant? thx lG
    LOS ANGELES, Aug. 29, 2009

Whistleblower:“Nummi management routinely deleted or downgraded significant and serious defects.”
    "steering wheel alignment defects" (NUMMI) factory subjected her to a campaign of intimidation
    http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/whistleblowe...

Toyota Accused of Hiding Evidence
    Former Lawyer at Automaker Charges Evidence in Rollover Cases Was Concealed, Destroyed
    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/08/29/cbs ...
    http://forums.anandtech.com/archive/index.php ...
    Whistleblower says defects hidden at Toyota-GM Calif. plant
    Yuri Kageyama / Associated Press
    TOKYO -- An employee at a California plant run jointly by General Motors and Toyota is accusing her managers of allowing serious defects to go unchecked, including faulty seat belts and braking, and retaliating when she resisted, according to a lawsuit filed earlier this month.-
    Okay, so now are they going to recall for the seatbelts?

I don't know this just sounds like a disgruntled employee !
  • I am having the same problem. I would describe it like putting rocks inside a can and shaking it very fast. It is mostly on the first cold start of the day and last for about a second. Doesn't happen usually when warm. It is at the dealers right now so they can start it cold.
    Interesting, please keep us informed as to what they find.
  • Please let me know what the dealer finds as this has been driving me crazy.

Thanks
    John
  • What did the dealer tell you the problem was?

john
  • My problem with Toyota is that the 08 that I had is sitting up for sale already after I traded it in because it almost killed me. The car veered all over. But anyway why would Toyota make a stability control part an option? considering the fact that it was designed to keep it safe this should have been FREE! oh and once you buy a car without the part you can't buy it after market. This very dangerous!
    Apparently the dealer found nothing wrong with your car or they repaired it. This is what dealers do, they sell traded cars or else auction them off. They don't offer you money for them and then junk them.

Considering ESC was not prevalent in a smaller 2007/2008 car I think Toyota might have been ahead of the game in 2008 with ESC. The more simple answer as to why it wasn't standard equipment would be cost. A Corolla ia a budget minded car aimed at the budget minded driver who might prefer to opt out of ESC to keep there own cost down. By the way, it was optional by Honda also in 2008 in some of their models. Either way it won't be long that ESC will be standard on all cars. In September, 2006 the NHTSA issued a proposal to require new passenger cars be equipped with electronic stability control starting in 2009, with all cars and light trucks to have it by 2012.
  • Did the dealer find a problem with your car?
  • They said that they performed a fix according to a TSB (I don't have the number of it) and would test it again yesterday afternoon and again this morning to see if it solved the problem. I have not heard from them today yet. He said the fix had something to do with the VVTI (?)

Thanks for your interest.
  • Would it be possible to get the actual TSB number from the dealer. Thanks John
  • I am sorry I did not get a TSB #, I was in such a hurry, had to get my niece back so she could get back to work, anyway. I thought it would be on my invoice but it wasn't. What it does say the problem was is- "...poor cam gear position...". it was covered under warranty, and they also reflashed the computer (ECM) for the oil consumption (TSB # 0145-08) issue, also under warranty.