Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2009 Toyota Corolla Problems and Repairs

Comments

• loncliplonclip Posts: 13
    I just sold my 09 Corolla and am very glad to be rid of it. Please don`t misunderstand, it was a "good" cheap little car. I was used to driving larger at least midsize cars and bought this one for great mileage when gas was $4.00 a gallon and rising. It certainly, as I have said before, was a mileage champ. Also trouble free as far as maladies that were recognized as such. However, the steering was horrid :mad: , the brakes were horrid :P , the seat was horrid :mad: , the tilt wheel might just as well been a fixed position :sick: , and recall news was making its value fall like a rock :lemon: . It WAS quiet, fairly good riding for a small car, had a few impressive features like automatic headlights and variant volume control on the radio, but the bad outnumbered the good as far as I and my old body were concerned. Toyota fans, I was never one of your number and I will never be again. I still say all that legendary quality stuff was bought and paid for advertising. Just because automotive magazine article writers tell you to like something, well....it doesn`t wash with me. American car brands still make the best cars and I once again plan to be driving one soon.
  • mnfmnf Posts: 404
    edited March 2010
    Get a WARRANTY ;)
  • terceltomterceltom Posts: 1,017
    "American car brands still make the best cars"

Your kidden right? Try reading Consumer Reports or any other independant car magazine. Tops of all the car classses are anything BUT american. Trucks might be another story, but cars no way ! ! !
  • loncliplonclip Posts: 13
    I don`t need a magazine to tell me what to think. The only other time I had a Toyota was waaaay back in 1971 when I bought my first new car after graduating from college. While Consumer Reports was telling me how great my car was, I was hitching rides to work with a coworker in his Plymouth Fury I with 140,000 miles on it. I couldn`t keep the little monster out of the garage and I swore off them then. Unfortunately, I succumbed to the idea that mileage and improvements in technology would justify my latest try. You Toyota fans can keep them.
  • pekelvrpekelvr Posts: 61
    Free at last I can relate to. Dont get me wrong though i love everything about my Corolla except the steering slash EPS. I f Toyota dealer called me tomorrow and said they were replacing the whole steering shaft I would be a happy lil Toyota customer. :confuse:
    PS. Im happy you are free from your dilemma HOWEVER I think your one poor problematic car doesnt justify your statement........."American car brands still make the best cars" i would suggest checking out consumer reports again....are Toyotas losing value at the moment........yes! and its unfortunate for us Toyota lovers BUT that isnt going to last. Once Toyota decides to head these problems off and take America straight forward and head on! their value will go back up. and as far as value foreign cars last longer for the mileage, get more per the gallon, they are better at speed and the resale of a Toyota slumped but guess who is coming out on top? Honda and Mazda...and even the Elantra so again I woudl check your facts. :blush:
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,416
    Corolla is the best selling nameplate in automotive history, so we might expect to feel confident in the car. But you know as they say, "your results may vary".

Reputation is generally built on the Law of Large Numbers. You need a large enough database to make accurate predictions on probability (or reliability for that matter). I might flip a coin ten times and get ten heads. But my conclusions would be in error because I don't have a large enough sample. I need to flip it 10,000 times. :P

• jt10314jt10314 Posts: 6
    I own a 2009 Corolla S … after 5,000 miles when I am stepping on the accelerator the car makes noise (similar to noise of rotten brake pads) … it lasted for few times.. then went away .. Came back another time… I just did the recall service for accelerator pedal… At the time I didn’t mention about this problem because only experienced it few times in a year… Again the noise came back on last Sunday for few steps…

I was wondering is this problem experience by any one else? … I will be going back to the dealer to check on my accelerator… Should I request them to replace the pedal under Toyota recall problem?
    Im curious because this happens to my car since the 1st day i got it and it only had 50 miles it yes 50. My 2010 was fresh off the lot....anyway the brakes made the same noise as when brake pads have worn out, you know right before the squealing starts, my husband said it was because the brakes were so new that it did that. Well its been 3 months and still Im hearing them.

I hate to say it but it seems like Toyotas have quirky issues, some are dangerous and some are annoying but i think we're all going to be enduring this for a while. :sick:
  • etho1416etho1416 Posts: 18
    I have been having a similar noise on my 2009 manual transmission corolla. Is yours a manual or an automatic? When driving, I get a high pitched noise from the engine area, but only right as I hit the accelerator. The moment I let up off it just a little bit, the noise goes away and if I mash the accelerator down hard it does not do it. No check engine light, no idling problems, nothing else I can think of is wrong. I though I might have a leak in an air intake hose.

I took it to the dealer and I had a tough time replicating the noise (of course) but they checked the air intake hoses and did not notice any problems there.

Anyone else brought their corolla in for the this problem?

Could it be the belts or something transmission related?
  • unknown5unknown5 Posts: 2
    The chirping or whistle issue on the 2009 Toyota Corolla is most likely caused by an update performed near the intake manifold. The symptoms include a whistle or a chirp when accelerating from 1.5K to 2K rpm’s. The noise is very annoying since much of our driving is in that rpm range.
    I advise you to open a case number through Toyota and let them know about the issue. They will eventually do something about it if enough people complain.

Toyota Consumer Hotline is 1800-331-4331.
  • unknown5unknown5 Posts: 2
    Here's the update that causes the chirping sound.

DEALERS WILL INSTALL A NEWLY DESIGNED INTAKE AIR CONNECTOR WHICH WILL RELOCATE THE BRAKE SYSTEM VACUUM PORT. THIS SERVICE WILL BE PERFORMED FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL BEGAN ON SEPTEMBER 21, 2009. OWNERS MAY CONTACT TOYOTA AT 1-800-331-4331.

Recall Summary
    TOYOTA IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2008-2009 SCION XD AND MY 2009-2010 COROLLA, AND COROLLA MATRIX VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH 1.8L ENGINE AND ORIGINALLY SOLD IN OR CURRENTLY REGISTERED IN THE STATES OF ALASKA, COLORADO, IDAHO, ILLINOIS, IOWA, KANSAS, MAINE, MICHIGAN, MINNESOTA, MONTANA, NEBRASKA, NEVADA, NEW HAMPSHIRE, NEW YORK, NORTH DAKOTA, SOUTH DAKOTA, VERMONT, WISCONSIN, AND WYOMING. WHEN DRIVING UNDER CERTAIN UNIQUE CONDITIONS IN EXTREMELY LOW AMBIENT TEMPERATURES, THE INTAKE MANIFOLD SUCTION PORT FOR THE BRAKE VACUUM CAN BECOME BLOCKED DUE TO THE FREEZING OF CONDENSATION RESULTING FROM POSITIVE CRANKCASE VENTILATION.

Consequence
    THIS COULD LEAD TO AN INCREASE IN VEHICLE STOPPING DISTANCE AND A CRASH COULD OCCUR.
    I did have that brake vacuum recall performed around the time I first noticed the noise so that would make sense. The noise is high pitched but not that loud so it took me a while to realize it was happening during acceleration. I will call Toyota to complain. The dealer couldn't hear it last time, but I realized it is loudest when I drive up a steep hill (which makes sense since the vacuum air intake would be working really hard at that point) so I make take it back so they can hear the noise. Though I guess if Toyota has not acknowledged the problem the probably won't have a fix for it yet. And since acknowledging customer complaints is not Toyotas strong suit, I kind of doubt they will fix it anytime soon, if ever.
    Could only happen in subzero temperatures!
    What are you trying to say? I don't think you see what the issue is.

unknown5 is not saying the initial brake recall issue, which only happened at subzero temps, is at fault for the noise. He is saying that the fix they did for that problem is what is causing the noise. I had the recall repair he listed performed and the noise started almost immediately afterwards.
    As per SSC 90H, post #730 refers to the PCV condensation that could leak into the brake vacuum port and freeze-up only " at subzero temperatures". The poster was commenting about this service bulletin.
    I called Toyota Corporate today and they are aware of the problem.

They stupidly have not released a TSB for it, which is probably why so many people are having trouble getting their dealers to acknowledge that there is a problem.

They said that a detailed fix for the noise problem is discussed in the original recall information that dealers receive for the brake vacuum intake cold weather issue. Why they would not release a seperate TSB for it is insane, because without the TSB dealers may not think to look back at the original recall notice. But nothing Toyota does surprises me anymore.

They said that if I can replicate the noise to the dealer they should have to fix it without charge since the fix is part of the original recall and since the fix caused the noise. We'll see how this goes.
    Sounds like just an isolated issue. Haven't heard of this problem.
    It is mentioned on other Toyota boards. If you want proof, I found it. When I called Toyota Corporate and decribed the problem, the guy I spoke with found a reference to the exact problem on the recall instructions (which of course he said he could not give me, but was sending to my dealer). The note about the noise was not on the original recall instructions, but the second set of instructions they released when the recall was extended to a bunch of other cold weather states. The NHTSA recall site only has the original recall instructions so I shelled out the $15 to join the Toyota Tech site for 2 days and found a huge warning on page 17:

"Ensure that the air intake connector is properly aligned with the throttle body by pulling upward on the air intake connector hose fitting while tightening the bolts. Failure to do this may result in a whistling noise during light throttle application."

This is the exact problem described here and on the Toyotanation board and others. And since this note was not included on the original recall instructions, I bet loads of people are experiencing the problem. And I bet lots of dealers didn't even bother reading the second set of recall instructions, with the note about the noise, because they assumed that the repair instructions had not changed at all.

The craziest part is that Toyota has not released a TSB to address the problem. When people go to their dealer to get it checked out, the dealers, who I am hesitant to defend, may not be aware of any issue since no TSB has been issued and the problem is buried on a revised set of recall instructions.
    If anyone wants to see the proof of the problem, and print it out for themselves to take to their dealer and demand that they fix the problem that they caused (which toyota corporate claimed they should do free of charge). Go to:

www.techinfo.toyota.com

1. Sign up
    2. click on the TIS tab on the top
    3. Choose your car and hit search
    4. Scroll down to campaign bulletins
    5. click on #3:

"SSC 90H Certain 09 - 10 Corolla, Corolla Matrix, and 08 - 09 Scion xD Vehicles Equipped with 2ZR-FE (1.8 liter) Engines Brake Systems Vacuum Port (Phase 2 - 13 Additional States)"

-make sure to pick the phase 2 one, the original recall instructions do not include the note about the noise. The original recall instruction can be seen for free on the NHTSA recall site, but they do not have the note about the noise.

6. on page 17 you will find this huge note in the recall repair instructions:

"Ensure that the air intake connector is properly aligned with the throttle body by pulling upward on the air intake connector hose fitting while tightening the bolts. Failure to do this may result in a whistling noise during light throttle application."

I first noticed the noise after I got the recall done and I am going to my dealer today to ask that they fix it (bring the printed out proof since I am sure they willhave "misplaced" the copy corporate sent them.

Having read over the instructions, it honestly should not be that hard for them to fix it. It essentially involved take one part off, and making to hold the part a certain why when putting it back on.

P.S. As long as you pay for the 2 day membership, you can also print out loads of repair instructions, for simple things like changing the water pump all the way up to fixing the clutch. They are very detailed and have loads of pictures.