Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2009 Toyota Corolla Problems and Repairs

Comments

• smallcar1smallcar1 Posts: 76
    I have a '96 Altima and I know the '07 Corolla felt severely underpowered in comparison.

Is the '09 Corolla's pick up and passing power close to the '93 Altima?

How is the MPG compared to he Altima?

Thanks
  • nanapat2nanapat2 Posts: 8
    After having bought and am now stuck with a 2007 Corolla I could never recommend a Toyota ... :lemon:

Buy smart buy a Ford Focus a great car and I am sorry that I got talked into a Corolla :sick:
  • busirisbusiris Posts: 3,447
    Nanapat2,

Can you expand on the issues you have experienced with your Corolla?

I have gone back and looked at the postings, but I only found 1 specific about the tilt steering wheel.

Thanks!
  • ashriverashriver Posts: 4
    I too notice this when driving on the highway. I've just accepted this as characteristic of the car.
  • mlenhartmlenhart Posts: 3
    ">I'm really questioning my impulse buy on the 09 Corolla S. I was all set to buy a Civic, but the new 09 Corolla model looked really sharp... and everyone has Civics. I really liked how the Corolla test-drove compared to the Civic and it was a lot more spacious in the interior. I also liked the availability of options.

I purchased the Corolla in March. At 400 miles my car sporadically was having trouble turning over when I tried to start it. The dealer couldn't duplicate the problem so I drove it for a few more weeks. The problem persisted (2000miles) so I went back to the dealer. Turns out I need all of my fuel injectors replaced! It's in the shop right now (after waiting 2 weeks because the parts were on backorder).

I also noticed trouble with the steering on the highway. I am constantly battling with the car to keep it between the lines. It's very tiresome.

I also noticed that my sunroof is creaking when I turn the corner or hit a small bump in the road (3000 miles). Right now I'm just concerned with the fuel injectors, but I'm sure my car will be back in the shop soon to deal with the sunroof. I have an 09 Corolla loaner at the moment and entire front roof panel (in front of the sunroof) has a persistent squeak! I pushed up on the panel and it was really loose. Hopefully that doesn't happen in my car!!

I'm thinking I should have went with the trustworthy Civic.
    LOL with Toyota USA, your dealer and the car.. I picked up my new '07 Toyota Corolla on 5/30/07 (see my previous post's).. Corolla's are made at the NUMMI factory in Calif. which is now in the middle of a whistleblower lawsuit for permitting "known defect's" on the car's produced there to still leave the factory.. I am about to report my car again for rust forming around the trunk which could be the same rust problem that has now caused the recall of the Toyota Tacoma's also produced at this same factory..

Yes you should have bought the Civic and I should have stayed with Ford Motor Product's.. :mad:
    Where do you report your problems...Toyota USA?
  • Never had any noises coming from my sun roof....the one thing i don't like about the sun roof is that it doesn't tilt much at all. i think it tilt like maybe 2 " max. I thought the 08 model tilted like 6 ". other than that not problems (knock on wood) with the car and i have 5600 miles on it.
  • busirisbusiris Posts: 3,447
    Hi...
    I asked before, but maybe you missed my question...

Can you briefly detail the problems you have had with your Corolla?

My daughter is considering an 09 model, and I would like to know what issues you have had...

Thanks...Busiris
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,666
    #1. He is complaining about an '07 (a 9th generation, not a 10th generation model). The '09 is the first year of this new design, so his comments are not relevant to this new generation.

#2. The 03-08 model years are extremely reliable, (check consumer reports, etc.) They are tops. All makes can have a lemon, but rest assured that his '07 with problems is very very rare. Check other websites, you'll find this to be the case.

#3. I have not seen any major problems with the new '09s. The complaints are steering feel (for some), and some rattles (Honda Civic, Accord, Toyota Camry have similar complaints.) Nothing that will prevent you from safely getting from point A to point B.

You may want to check ToyotaNation forums also.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Hi. I'm sorry about the trouble you've had with your 07 Corolla, but this is not the right place to go into them. Here's where you can continue: Corolla Maintenance and Repair.

Hope this helps.
    surely you are joking !! been there,done that and more !! so until you have walked in my shoes with this vehicle please don't make me any sicker over this car than I already am..
  • bob191bob191 Posts: 14
    I bought 2009 Corolla S on April 7. I was also considering Civic but after five test drives of Civic and same of Corolla, I choose to buy Rolla S. Civic is a nice car, but visually looks very small. Like a toy. Besides, I liked driving the Corolla better then Civic.

So far, at 900 miles everything is beautiful. The driving is very smooth, the engine is very quiet, just love this electric power steering and the brakes are even better than on my 1996 Accord. Also, I like the filling that looks like I am driving something much, much bigger than Rolla.

One thing I didn't like were the Bridgestone Turanza EL 400 tires, but I swapped them out the next day after the delivery and with Michelin Primacy MXV4 everything is just perfect. At 40 miles I don't hear the road at all. So far so good...

I am surprised to hear about so many problems. Maybe it is a lemon, but I hope not. Keep us informed how the repear is going.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,666
    Good to hear yours is great.

So far, very few reports of any real problems, other than the one above. All brand new models, even Toyotas, can have some problems, especially considering they just started producing these. I try to avoid first year models from anyone, or at least the first 6 months.
    It is easy to let the negatives outweigh the positives...especially when you have $19,000 invested into a new car (my first brand new car). I'm glad you are enjoying yours so far! My husband purchased an 07 altima and he loves it...and so do I!!

Here are the things I love about the Corolla (S model): I have Barcelona Red with the black interior which looks sharp. I wish I upgraded to the JBL sound system because my rental car has it and it kicks a@s! I also love the heater and the traction control...much needed for Ohio winters. The BIGGEST pro is gas mileage!! This car easily gets 35+ (I do a lot of highway driving).

My car is still in the shop...so no more news to report. I took the rental out on the highway yesterday and still have issues with the power steering. I feel like I shouldn't have to be giving my car that much attentiveness while driving on the highway...it's a constant correction/overcorrection issue.
  • newcar2009newcar2009 Posts: 4
    Hi Everyone,

I don't have any rattles but have major issues with the windshield wipers. First and foremost the right wiper move right in the drivers viewing and makes a mark when it is raining which makes driving very difficult to see out of the windshield. The left windshield shimmers at the bottom. I went to the dealer and they submitted a report to toyota about this but said nothing won't be done unless there are more compliants. Are there others having this issue. How are you dealing with driving at night in the rain?
  • scaborcascaborca Posts: 1
    Man, so glad to read other threads about the 2009 corolla. I bought mine about two months ago. Rattles on the left side and when the air conditioner is high, each of the doors is warping, getting these small dents, no power whatsoever, feels so weak. One day the radio presets just stopped working for about 10 min and I couldn't even turn it off. going to take to shop next week for appt. I'm quite p o'd over here, i hope they are receptive and can help. feeling hustled right about now!
  • mnfmnf Posts: 404
    WOW that seems weird do you have some pictures of the warping and small dents that you could share.

Thanks MNF
  • william28william28 Posts: 1
    I just bought a windshield wiper called Scrublade. Everyone in the world should own a Scrublade! Better then any other wiper I have ever used:) It takes bugs and road slime off without smearing... Just thought I would let everyone know...
  • cottoncbcottoncb Posts: 2
    Normally I just lurk on forums, but after just driving the 09 Corolla, I had to add my 2 cents.

I thought there was something wrong with the particular car I was testing, but I see others who have experienced the same issue. It felt like the car wanted to drift either right or left, and when I would try to steer slightly to correct, the wheel felt like it "hung" slightly and then would go just enough too far in the opposite direction to start the process over again. I'm talking about a very slight amount, but enough that it would drive me crazy after about 10 minutes. This was a problem both at 70 mph on the freeway and at 35 mph on a side street.

I'm sure that I have to correct all the other cars, it's just that the process is so smooth on the others that I'm not aware of it.

I was disappointed because I like the overall design and comfort, but this issue is enough to steer me toward another make or model.