Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2009 Toyota Corolla Problems and Repairs

waltchanwaltchan Posts: 123
Bought a new 2009 Toyota Corolla LE. Right after I drove it from the dealer lot, there are a lot of rattles at the front dashboard, even if there is a tiny bump on the road. It's really distracting. Anybody experiencing this problem? Will it get better in the future once it get through the break-in period? Hopefully, the 2009 Corolla will not end up like the 2007 Camry, which was full of hesitation and noise issues.

Comments

• backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,784
    Rattles in the dash don't tend to go away by themselves over time, although they can be worse in cold weather with the plastic parts contracting. Better have them taken care of by the dealer now. I don't know about Toyota, but some manufacturers cover "adjustments" only for the first year or so.

You've probably already checked this obvious thing, but make sure there's nothing rattling in the glovebox(es), center console, or sunglasses holder (if it has one).
  • waltchanwaltchan Posts: 123
    Took it for a 500 mile Sunday road trip, so I can get used to my new 2009 Corolla LE. I found three rattles so far in different locations. One is at the front dashboard, which I said earlier, another is somewhere at the rear left door, and last is at the glove compartment. Extrmely annoying to hear to relax me on Sunday. I would like to get them all fixed, but how can I let the technician hear all the rattles. He would need to drive it on the highway with slight bumps. My Corolla is one of the very few Japanese-made ones, and I am surprised they missed the three rattles from the final inspection. I thought I would be getting a perfect quality car because it's Made in Japan. What's going on here?
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,668
    From my experience, made in Japan vs. US or Canada does not mean much. Had a Rav4 that was made in Japan that had lots of annoying rattles and squeaky brakes. All were completely fixed and never caused me any real problems (other than annoying), but to me that said that Japan assembly does not mean much.

I would bet that the Corolla built in CA or Canada will have the same problems. I would wait for a few months to get the bugs worked out.
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    I thought I would be getting a perfect quality car because it's Made in Japan. What's going on here?

If there is reliable evidence that made in japan is better or worse than made in USA or Canada or UK then I have not seen it.

Notify your dealer of the problem with rattles. There may be broken dash clips or something else that may be fixed and make your ownership experience satisfactory.
  • beantownbeantown Posts: 228
    ....so much for the "re-commitment to quality control" that was supposed to be implemented by Toyota, starting with the new Highlander. I thought these were precisely the kinds of things they were trying to fix before they got in the purchaser's hands?
    Well, I left my 2009 Corolla LE out in the hot sun the whole day to see whether the front dashboard heals all the rattles. We'll see how it goes.

Besides the rattles, it drives and rides very nicely, engine is quiet, transmission shifts smoothly, great fuel economy on my first tank (40 MPG average). No problems, hesitations, or strange noises coming from the engine at all so far. There are more Made in Japan parts under the hood than the Made in USA Corolla I saw in the dealer lot.
    Drove my 2009 Corolla LE today again, and I am shocked to hear a new rattle that is the most annoying of all. It's somewhere inside the driver's seat belt pillars, ringing like a doorbell. Push it in slightly, I can hear a lot of rattling noise. Will get them all fixed on Saturday. So far, I now face 5 different rattles? Is my car in trouble for long-term quality? Anybody experiencing any rattle issues so far? I never wanted a 2009 Corolla in the first place, and I wish I never bought it, but it was an impulse purchase by me because it's Made in Japan. How stupid of me to fall into this trap. I should have waited for the orange-color 2009 Matrix XRS that the dealer ordered for me, and it breaks my heart to see that I was forced to cancel my $500 deposit with them.
    Hang in there. Had lots of rattles on a Japan produced Rav4, but they were all fixed, and never came back. No other problems with the car, just these "cosmetic" issues.

I notice that lots of the new cars have rattles, not just Toyota (Honda too). I think that they all have made a decision to cut costs in the interiors, while adding safety equipment and really not adding much to the selling price.
  • Why does there exist the common misconception of buying something made in Japan is buying perfection?
  • nanapat2nanapat2 Posts: 8
    I bought a new 2007 Corolla in 5/2007 and it has been a lemon since the getgo.. I have filed many, many complaint's on this car and have gotten negative responses from Toyota USA and with the lemon law.. Can't fight the big business..

All Toyota Corolla's are made at the NUMMI factory in Fresno Ca., this factory is in the middle of a whistleblower lawsuit for ignoring auto manufacturing defect's on the assembly line for the Corolla..
  • roxy11roxy11 Posts: 27
    "All Toyota Corolla's are made at the NUMMI factory in Fresno Ca"

my 05 corolla was built in Canada (Cambridge, i believe). i know many 9th generation corollas were built there. i dont know what the breakdown is between the two plants.
  • pengwinpengwin Posts: 74
    yeah, J's 1's and 4's dont matter. I have a J and still have problems.
  • I've owned two Corollas in the past - a '97 CE and a '01 LE. I had a few issues with the '97 model that were fixed by the dealer under warranty. I never had a single problem with the '01. Ever. I kept it for over five years and never did anything but routine maintenance. I ended up selling it to my uncle and bought an Accord. I like my Accord (better styling, more fun, more upscale) but I sometimes wonder if I should have just kept the Corolla.

I sat in a 2009 Corolla at the DC Auto Show back in January. I was a little disappointed with the quality of the materials on the interior. The big clunky HVAC dials, the feel of the plastics.... it just didn't seem very impressive to me. Granted, my 2001 Corolla wasn't amazing, either, but I wish Toyota would have stepped up their game a little. With the problems they've had with the Tundra and Camry, you'd think they would get a clue.

I would be very hesitant about buying a new Corolla right now. The first year of a new model is always unpredictable - might as well let Toyota work the kinks out before you get stuck with something you're not happy with.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Posts: 2,697
    This is nothing unique to your 2009 Corolla.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ariMwGN1rk
    Seems to be a common complaint with some of the brand new models from Toyota AND Honda, which are the leaders in this segment. I had rattles in an '01 Rav, but they were completely fixed under warranty and never returned.

I would wait a few months at least until the bugs get worked out. This goes for any maker.

I may have had a few rattles with that Rav, but it never had any safety issues and never any failures of any kind. I never was left stranded, and that's one of the things I love about Toyota - never had a problem that left me without a way to get somewhere. Most Toyotas I have had for over 100,000 miles.

I expect the new Corolla to do the same.
  • I would wait a few months at least until the bugs get worked out. This goes for any maker.

That is typically good advice. I'm taking my chances on this one. The flipside is that the first ones off the line get special attention, so they might actually be better.

I may have had a few rattles with that Rav, but it never had any safety issues and never any failures of any kind. I never was left stranded, and that's one of the things I love about Toyota - never had a problem that left me without a way to get somewhere. Most Toyotas I have had for over 100,000 miles.

Reliability for the win! Same deal with my '93 Camry. It failed me once, but I gave it a pass because I was sitting in my garage when it died and because it went 199k flawless miles before that failure -- the electronic distributor which can't last forever anyway.
  • thaipthaip Posts: 32
    No doubt, we have a 95 Camry LE, it has 256K in it and still running like news:). Of course not but can't complaint! We only needed to do the normal stuffs such as oil change, brakes change, fluids change, etc.

I hope my 07 Camry Hybrid and 09 Corolla LE will do the same?? Let me pray:)!
    I guess it didn't help by letting the car in the sun? I hope you did get them fix at the dealer! I think I heard some rattle or I don't know if it is a rattle or not but everytime I hit a bump, I heard a noise like two pieces of plastics hitting each other.

thanks
    Actually, leaving the car out in the hot sun has improved the rattles somewhat. I no longer have the front dashboard rattle on normal, everyday driving, unless it's on a really bumpy road. It's now no longer noticeable. But I still get rattles at other places, though.
  • mackabeemackabee Posts: 4,709
    "I would be very hesitant about buying a new Corolla right now. The first year of a new model is always unpredictable - might as well let Toyota work the kinks out before you get stuck with something you're not happy with. "

It may be the first year hear but in reality this is a three year old car so any bugs are non-existant. You more than likely get lots of dash rattles due to the hard plastic being used.
    Mack
    that is good to hear but I hope you will get it better when you bring it to the dealer. Did you say in one of the previous post that you will bring it to the dealer, any luck there? I also or kind of exprienced something rattling in my 09 Corolla LE, and it also made in Japan. From time to time, or should I say sometime, I hear some rattling in the front passenger window. In addition, when I hit bumps, I hear sound or noise in the front dashboard particularly near the glove box and toward the passenger side like when you hit a pothole noice. Of course, it doesn't sound as loud as when you hit a pothole. That noise may also sound like when you have two solid things or marbles hitting each other, it is hard to describe it. Anyway, those noises are still torable, therefore, I will let it be for now and let see what going to happen?
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Posts: 7,160
    Background.. The outgoing Corolla and Matrix had exactly the same issues during the first year back in 2002. Dash rattles. But even moreso there was an issue of the clips that held the dash in place, they weren't strong enough to hold the dash and it would come away from the body.

Fixed quickly where needed and this outgoing Gen 9 has been dead solid perfect since.

I too have an occasional rattle on cold days in my 2005 Prius but it's been hit twice and the windshield replaced. It goes away when the weather is warmer or after driving for 15 min or so. I attribute it to the hard plastics being used in the interiors. There's more variability in dimensions due to temperatures but these new interiors are lighter and safer.

Take your Corolla in and have them 'pad' the places where the rattles occur. This should make them go away.
  • lhayes2lhayes2 Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 2009 Toyota Corolla and noticed that when taking the key out of the ignition and locking the car that a security light blinks continuously. Is this normal?
  • harvey44harvey44 Posts: 178
    Japanese made cars. Not perfection, But much better than Canadian or US made in my experience with Hondas made here and there.
  • jimbo42jimbo42 Posts: 1
    I'm having a real hard time with the electric power steering in my new 2009 Corolla LE. I think there is a real problem with keeping this car going straight on the highway. You constantly find yourself drifting off center, you make the slightest adjustment and the car over-corrects. The steering is way to sensitive. It makes highway driving a very tiresome activity.

Does anyone know what my options here are?
    1. Is there some adjustment a Toyota repair shop can do to make the steering less sensitive?
    2. If that is not possible, should I look into replacing my steering system, perhaps from some other Toyota with EPS, like the Prius, that apparently does not suffer from this problem?
  • nanapat2nanapat2 Posts: 8
    LOL especially when you try to complain to Toyota USA about this issue they will tell you the same thing they told me "nothing wrong with the vehicle it's your driving habit's".. I have a 2007 Corolla (bought new) which has so many issue's it's unbelievable, and I have a tilt wheel that I cannot use etc., etc., etc.. I have filed many, many lemon complaint's on this car but trying to buck the "big business" is like shoveling it against the tide.. I am hoping that this year's hurricane season here in Florida will take care of this problem for me.. In addition, my Corolla was made at the NUMMI Factory in Calif. which is now in the middle of a whistleblower lawsuit for allowing car's with known defect's to leave that factory and ship to dealers with these known defect's.. :lemon:
  • m6userm6user Posts: 3,047
    I have read a lot of professional reviews that mention the same sort of drifting during hwy driving. However, I also read all twenty-two consumer reviews posted on this forum of the 2009 Corolla and I think only one person mentioned it. Can new owners please respond with their opinion of this and how bothersome it is? This car is on my potential buy list for later this spring. Tks in advance.