Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick Rendezvous Temperature Problems

2»

Comments

• I too have had major issues with overheating. Two major repairs in 16 months. The first was a seal. Cost $800. Second was cracked head $1600. Where did you find out Buick would cover repair cost? I am the original owner. The only way I keep my engine cooled in idling or slow speeds, traffic is to run the a/c no matter what time of year it is. During winter I turn on a/c but turn knob to warmer temps. It seems to work.
    Also have had all window clips replaced numerous times. Now need to replace driver door window motor mechanism lord knows what that will cost.
  • ray80ray80 Posts: 1,187
    Hhmm I don't think I would be turning A/C on when I think there my vehicle is running to warm for my liking, heater on high maybe, but not A/C
  • turning on ac turns on the cooling fans earlier which keeps the engine cool in slow or idling. normally the fans come on at 220. but the buick rendezvous coolant temp sensors are faulty. so putting on the ac works well for keeping engine cooler
  • Our 2005 Rendezvous has had nothing but issues after a year of having it. We've replaced the hubs / bearings 5 times. Now the overheating issue. We just dropped it off at a local shop just to find out in his experience the all mighty Rendezvous has issues with overheating which most likely is caused by a cracked head. I contacted Buick over all the issues with this vehicle, but they stated "your warranty is up" due to mileage. This vehicle is a complete lemon. No one should have to spend the money on repairs that our family has. We replaced the tires twice as well. It currently has another bad hub, it sounds like a tank. The AWD and Anti-Lock Break lights always come on. The check engine light comes on and immediately the heat goes from cold to extremely hot! No recalls, nothing.. The average family who bought this vehicle to haul three children (because it's a "pretty" vehicle") got shafted. I'm pretty sure that we have a large paperweight now... Buick.. I hope you are paying attention, I know I will never buy a Buick / GM product again.
  • When you contacted Buick, were you ever assigned a Service Request number? If so, we can look into that further. If not, and you're interested in setting one up, please contact us via email with more information (name/Edmunds username, the last 8 digits of your VIN and current mileage, and the name of your dealership).
    All the best,

Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • Well I got the bad news from my mechanic today. Sure enough either a cracked head or a blown head gasket. Since I'm an average person who lives week to week, I just went to pick it up as is, we can't afford to put more money in this POS vehicle. When we arrived to pick it up, they had a RDV on a wrecker headed to the junkyard with the exact same issue. Time to bite the bullet and shop for a foreign car. I will bad mouth Buick to everyone I know.
  • Vehicle had been running fine. Had a lube, oil and filter change at our local mechanic. Left mechanics shop and not 2 miles down the road the vehicle overheated. The temp gauge was pinned all the way to Hot and the message display showed "engine coolant hot" or something to that effect. The top hose felt cool to the touch and there were no antifreeze leaks visable above the engine or on the ground. Waited 3-5 minutes and restarted vehicle and drove back to mechanic's garage without overheating. Mechanic changed thermostat and we took vehicle home without any issues. Next day vehicle was driven to work in morning and all was fine. On way home in afternoon, it overheated again. Have been to 2 different mechanics and they don't believe it's a head gasket as the is no antifreeze in oil or white smoke coming from exhaust after initial engine warm-up. Had an emission test done and the hydrocarbon emission was within normal limits which would indicate that no antifreeze is getting into combustion chambers.
    When vehicle overheats typically we pull over to side of road and shut engine off. Wait 30 seconds to 1 minute and restart engine and temp gauge drops back to normal operating level. It does rise to over the "12 o'clock" position and close to 3/4 way to hot setting on gauge but the aux cooling fans kick in and drop temp the normal reading on gauge. Completely at a loss as to what to do now. Thinking of a complete radiator purge and flush and possibly replacing the water pump to see if this corrects the problem. Any other ideas out here as to what the problem is? Thanks.
  • Sara,

I am the original owner of a 2003 rendezvous with 61,000 miles and latley hav e noticed that the engine coolant is running low and signs of coolant are in the oil.

I have heard that the intake gasket problem is a known issue on these vehicles and was wondering if it would be coverd/
  • Yeah good luck getting that covered, however get it fixed asap before you blow the head. Has happened 2 times to me. I am into the repairs for more than 2k.
  • kjm1980kjm1980 Posts: 1
    I am having the exact same problem with my 2003 rendezvous. Mechanic seems to think we need a new head gasket. Did you ever find out what was wrong with yours?
  • My 2002 Buick Rendezvous had the head gaskets, intake manifold and something else? Rear main seal maybe all replaced a year and a half ago, now having overheating. Garage thinks cracked head or head gasket. Honestly though, I have owned the car for 6 and a half years and for the first 5 I didn't have any issues with it. Now this year since Feb have spent 5000 repairing it. Rebuilt transmission, wheel bearings, brake lines etc Now a cracked head or head gasket. I like the rest of you, have found that leaving the ac running is keeping the engine cooler.
  • Hi Bud. Would be kind enough to provide a photo of your modification?
2»