Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus RX Transmission Problems

Comments

• AAMCO pulled up their records for me and they are doing several hundred RX 300 transmissions per month. AAMCO is rebuilding the transmissions. AAMCO charges 60% less than a Lexus dealer. How
    many other private firms are also repairing these faulty transmissions?

Lexus dealers will look you in the eye and say, this is not a big problem. If you make a big stink, Lexus will rebate 50% cost of the transmission, but it will still cost you $3,000 - $3,500 to repair.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    Definitely "..wishful thinking.."...!!
  • bosox4bosox4 Posts: 1
    how many miles did you have on your RX ? thanks
  • I had 103,000 miles. The camry transmission they install in RX 300
    4WD mdels cannot handle the torque and wear out much quicker.
    Now they tell me you have to change the transmission fluid every
    20,000 miles!
  • I agree someone should get a class action lawsuit going as I have been driving 45 years without a transmissio nfailure. I bought the first LS 400 in 1990 and had 300.000 miles on it, (eighteen years old), and it ran like a top.

The RX 300 from 1999 - 2003 transmissions are junk.
  • I was successful, ($10,000) in smalls claims court.
    The correct legal argument is you bought a Lexus not a cheap
    economy toyota camry. We were all defrauded! Nowhere is it
    disclosed that Lexus just used a camry transmission.

Shame on Lexus for this scam.................................
  • The answer is you were defrauded. Did you know the RX 300 was
    built with a camry transmission that could not handle the torque?

Nowhere is there a disclosure from Lexus that they used a camry
    transmission. You paid for a luxury car but got an economy car, think you were defrauded????
  • My 2001 RX300 AWD tranny failed at 317,000 miles. Replaced by dealer with rebuilt for $4,700 and so far running perfectly. I did flush/exchange the fluid every 50,000. Now at 347,000 and vehicle runs and drives almost like new. Recent O2 sensor replaced at 335,000 only engine work other than oil changes every 3,000 to 4,000. I have apparently been very lucky.
  • MESSAGE NOT CREDIBLE

Now why would someone write on Edmunds their success story????

The only people writing are those who either identified a problem, or want clarification on a problem.

I had a Lexus with over 300,000 that was a jewel, and I certainly did
    not write that previously on Edmunds!
  • avery1avery1 Posts: 372
    I think it is fine to write about success stories and I certainly don't think it makes the post less credible. I doubt Lexus employees are lurking around putting posts in about 10 year old cars. I lost my transmission at 160,000 so I am not a really happy camper but when people are deciding to buy a used car they look at these forums and even though we realize most people only write with questions or problems it is good to see the other side of the story reported. And some people like to feel good about their decision by publicly announcing their good fortune.
  • I have owned 9 new lexuses and have not written once about the other
    eight and their superior performance and longevity. Writer "332"
    suggests that used car buyers want to go to Edmunds to hear about
    good stories????

Maybe I am far to educated than "332", but to take time to write
    success stories on a forum that chronciles car issues either needs
    a life, or sign up for Obama care.
  • jbl85jbl85 Posts: 49
    Why do you think this is not credible? I welcome anyone who has a success story with the RX300's to sound off if they are reading this board. There is enough doom and gloom on this board about these cars it wouldn't be so bad to hear some success stories!!

People need to be more positive...You should have posted your Lexus jewel with over 300k miles. If not, we don't get the whole story!
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Why do you think this is not credible?

I don't think it's a matter of credibility. Some folks are simply pleased with their vehicles and like to write about it. On the other hand, it may not be particularly constructive to tell a person faced with a problem and looking for help that your own vehicle runs perfectly without offering either sympathy or suggestions for resolving the issue.

In any case, let's get back to the topic at hand rather than questioning each others veracity or credibility. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • glenj1glenj1 Posts: 2
    mrboston,
    My 2001 RX300 just lost its transmission yesterday at 127K miles. Might I ask who you took to small claims court, the dealer or Toyota? I understand that the technical reason for winning was the Toyota Camry vs a Lexus transmission. Is there any other information that you could share with me?
    regards
    GlenJ1
    At 127K miles I really doubt if any "court" will be sympathetic.

Plus I don't think the more robust design, design flaw and all, of the RX300 transaxle was adopted by the Camry until about the '02 MY.
  • The issue is not warranty coverage, but rather were you informed
    in any way that you were not buying a Lexus transmission? If not
    you were defrauded and suffered damages as a direct result of
    the flawed product.
  • I took Lexus Corporate to small claims. however, you could file two actions, one against teh deaelr and another against Lexus corporate.
    Lexus corporate indemnifies the dealer so you basically could double down. By the way most small claims courts do not allow lawyers, so Lexus just sent in a manager to contest. The judge just asked two questions, can I prove that it was not a lexus transmission, YES and two did Lexus disclose this prior to purchase? NO Any AAMCO transmission shop can bringthe information up on their computers.
    By the way I paid $2,200 at AAMCO to get mine fixed and it is working greta!
  • glenj1glenj1 Posts: 2
    Thank you very much for the info. I wrote the dealer to ask them to share the cost of the repair. They sent that on to Lexus Corporate for an answer. The dealer performed all service on my car, including transmission service. I had taken it to them a few months ago when a new noise started. They did not connect the dots that this was the transmission. I await the dealer/Lexus response.
    Regards
    According to the factory shop manuals the Camry used the A140E transaxle from 1994 until 2001. Whereas the 2000, 2001, and 2002 RX300 uses a U140E. The 2000 and 2001 ES300 also used the U140E until 2002 when the U150E was used.

The only difference between the FWD and F/awd RX300 was an U140E vs an U140F respectively. No difference between the U140E & U140F until you get to the diff'l section.

Looks as if AAMCO might have unwittingly pulled a fast one on the court.

On the other hand Lexus was having so much trouble with the new design of the U140E/F series they may have taken the interim measure for the late 2000 models of using an A140E, Camry, transaxle. IMMHO most buyers having Lexus vehicles with the early versions of the U140E/F transaxle would have been much better off with the Camry transaxle.
    In 2002 the Camry w/V6 adopted the Lexus RX300/ES300 U140E transaxle.

Thus began the episode of the use of DBW, E-throttle, in an attempt to hide the design flaw of the U140E/F series of transaxles from the buying public.

While I now suspect that Lexus may well have used the Camry's A140E transaxle in late model year production of the 2000 RX300 I rather doubt, strongly so, that you will find a 2001 or later RX300 equipped with a Camry transaxle.

Beginning with the 2001 MY Lexus had made a significant number of changes to the drivetrain that would certainly help to reduce the load duty-cycle of the U140E/F transaxle. The VC was made virtually non-functional, the rear LSD was no longer an option, and the only time engine drive torque was diverted to the rear drive was with TC activation, which included SIMULTANEOUS, SEVERE, ENGINE DETHROTTLING.

No stress on the U140F to be had there.

There is also some indication that the towing package with additional ATF cooling was included as standard equipment in all RX300 F/awd factory shipments.