Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

H3 dead batteries

dfsh3dfsh3 Member Posts: 1
edited July 2014 in HUMMER
have 2007 H3 purchased new in august now has 4800 mi. have had 4 dead batteries and rwice towed to GM dealer. the last time it would not start was 15 minutes afterthe dealer test drove it with a new battery..after keeping truck another 3 days they could not explain what happens as everything was ok on computer. only problem is it wont start dead battery..GM had no answers except replace battery..ANY IDEAS??? doug

Comments

• tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    There are three possibilities: (a) Your electrical system is being short-circuited, (b) your electrical contacts are defective or (c) you're the one in million who just happened to get four batteries in a row that have manufacturing defects.

The fact that one of them discharged in 15 minutes has me puzzled. For a battery to discharge that quickly without some telltale signs of electrical shorting (smoking, sparking, excessive heat etc.) suggests that the problem is not a short circuit. I would check out all the electrical contacts if only to rule out possibility (b). As for the one in a million chance, it's actually not quite that unlikely to happen if all those batteries were made in the same factory with the same lot number which is entirely possible.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    While Tidester is correct, you should know that you are not alone. Many H3s are having this problem. I don't know what the solution will finally be, but at the moment it appears that having a battery size that's on the bleeding edge of minimal isn't helping any.
  • brairbladesbrairblades Member Posts: 1
    Know what you mean, I have a 2006 H3 and I have to replace the battery every year. Got to take it in tomorrow...it went dead today. No sense tring to re-charge...it won't...Never have found out the problem...just the barreries I quess.
  • humveetechhumveetech Member Posts: 3
    edited April 2010
    Did they even check to see if you have any sort of parasitic drain on the electrical system???

I know I have seen the AMP stayed powered up causing the radio to stay awake & cause a drain. Also seen the Onstar also cause a drain. Do you have any aftermarket accessories that were installed??

I know on some models we are suppose to disconnect the Onstar module if no longer in use due to not powering down & also causing a drain.

If you have some stuff that was added & not installed correctly as for the way it was wired in, it can cause drains.

Example, I had a H2 come in with a dead battery, I replaced the battery. Sorry but warranty doesn't pay me to check anything so it gets a battery first time. If it comes back in, then it gets a parasitic drain check. But it did come back, I did measure the drain ,was very high. started puling fuses. Pulled 1 fuse & it completely removed the drain. Come to find out it had stuff installed at a non dealership place(DVD headrests, SAT system, NAV radio) & all was NON GM brand or quality. So I hit the customer with ----No longer a warranty issue & that junk has to be removed prior to me performing any more diag. Of course they took it to the place that installed it, said they didn't find a drain(Of course it was the way he explained how he was looking for the drain---NON power drain way of doing it) So they shipped it back & I AGAIN removed the same fuse that they reinstalled. Check my drains again, no drains with fuse removed, so I unplug the main connectors that was hooked to the battery side of the fuse & gave back to the customer saying I removed the drain. Told the customer what I did & it is no longer a warranty & no longer FREE
This discussion has been closed.