Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Colorado and GMC Canyon Fuel System

I have an 04 colorado crew cab overall i love it. its got about 86000 miles on it. WHEN I bought it (brand new) i had some serious electrical problems and had the bcm replaced 4 times finally fixed!REcently i went to pump some gas and the pumped clicked off at $3...i was on empty so i knew it wasnt full yet!!! So now everytime i go i can hear pressure build up then the pump shuts off and when the pressure is released i can resume pumping. I called the dealership and i got the "well youll have to bring it in so we can teake a look, not a clue what it could be"!! dont really have the $60 bucks for them to check it out, i do all the maintenance myself, spark plugs fuel filter ect, so if anyone has any clue what it could be please let me know

Comments

• poncho167poncho167 Posts: 1,178
    Sorry I can't help you with the issue, but most small shops will give you a free estimate of what needs to be fixed. Are you using the same gas pump at the same station?
  • i have talked to a few people and they said it could be my "vent control valve" is stuck shut. Any feedback on this would be appreciated and if so any clue where that is located?thanks :confuse:
    I don't have a Cobalt, but the vent control valve that I think they are referring to should be connected to your air filter system. I could be wrong but there is a valve door on my trucks air cleaner ducting that opens and closes. Mine currently is always in the open position because it doesn't really matter in my truck. There is also an exhaust gas container that contains charcoal for excess fuel vapor flow but this shouldn't be related. I can't say anymore. The only other valves that are related to gas but maybe not in your situation is the EGR (exhaust gas recirculator) valve on my S10's intake manifold.
  • dick28540dick28540 Posts: 1
    my dealer told me my 05 colorado needs a fuel filter for $70= . i saw one on internet for 16.00 and wounder how hard it is to relpace, is it inside the gas tank or just on the fuel line thanks.. ;)
  • puregreenpuregreen Posts: 24
    Its easy to change on front of tank inline ten min job.
    I meant Colorado.
  • puregreenpuregreen Posts: 24
    I have 5 crew cab 4wd did mine in ten min.
  • brokenallbrokenall Posts: 9
    Hi
    Your filter is just behind your gaz tank
    push type clip no special toll

hope that help you
    Jean
  • brokenallbrokenall Posts: 9
    I got some problem with my electric purge valve
    when stock close , not able to fill my truck (20 minutes to fill 15 gallons)
    when valve open and stick open when you stop the truck there big odors of gas
    did somebody replace the valve on the canister
    it's located the rear crossmember in front of the spare
  • My 2004 5 cylinder Colorado has 75,000 miles on it. About two months ago when I was filling it with gas, the gas didn,t shut off and it overflowed. I've caught it doing this a couple of times since. Also, when I start it after getting gas, it cranks like it doesn't want to start. It does start but takes a long time compared to other starts. The service engine soon light is on and my mechanic says it's because the new fuel cap doesn't seal properly because the gas tube is bent due to the gas pump nozzles resting on it. This I understand but don't understand why it overflows and starts so hard.
  • This doesn't sound right. As far as I know, if the gas pump doesn't shut off it's because THE GAS PUMP'S nozzle isn't set correctly, allowing it to run on after detecting "backflow". That's a safety measure designed into the pump.

If your gas cap isn't sealing correctly, I could see how that might cause a hard start, as the tank won't pressurize correctly. However, I doubt that the weight of the nozzle alone, would deform the filler neck. On the rare chance that it did, it wouldn't be a hard job to replace the filler neck. It isn't part of the tank. It's a seperate piece that attaches to the truck's bed with 3-4 screws, and a short length of rubber tubing connects it to the tank. If the dealer won't warranty it for you, it shouldn't be an expensive fix.
  • plutacplutac Posts: 2
    I have a 04 crew cab colorado I5 86,000. This one is hard to explain, the check engine lite comes on only after the dashboard fuel cap lite comes on, this only happens sometimes. It seems to be more when it gets warmer temps outside. I live in Indiana so the temp. fluciates so much its hard to tell. Im on my third gas cap, i bought the caps at different places thinking one was better than the other. i tried the disconect the battery thing for 10-15 min that shut it off for a day or too. this has been going on for a while now. Can anyone tell me why or how.
  • KCRamKCRam Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,516
    Since changing caps isn't doing the job, you probably need to have your tank vent checked.

kcram - Pickups/Wagons Host
  • I bought a pre-owned '05 Canyon 2 months ago and I had noticed the engine light was on. I brought it to the shop and they plugged the car into that computer module that reads all the problems with the car. The problem was with the fuel gauge and the sensor in the fuel tank. When the truck was sitting still, the pin on the fuel gauge would slowly go up and down. Never giving a true fuel reading.
    I was driving a hill one day and the truck started to cough and buck. It then stalled. The fuel gauge read a 1/4 of a tank of gas.
    To make a long story short...they put in a new fuel sensor inside the tank. All new parts the mechanic said. $275 worth. I was driving up another hill and what do you know, the truck coughs, bucks and stalls. No gas at 1/4 of a tank again. No 'low fuel' warning light....nothing. From a full tank I waited for it to get to 1/2 and filled it up. At 1/2 of a tank it took 15 gallons. The size of the tank is 19.8 gallons.
    The mechanic doesn't know what to do now.
    This happen to anyone? Any suggestions what the problem is?
  • yes, mine is doing this as well ('05 canyon w/">91K miles). I bought a new solenoid ($105 w/shipping) from gmpartsdirect.com. Just installed it and haven't confirmed it works yet. Here's the issue: the ventilation of the tanks is the problem. A month ago, got the gas cap code (engine light). Replaced the gas cap, no change. The tank never pressurizes and gas always sprays out when the pump shuts off. The vent is apparently open when driving, and closed when pumping (thus no release of pressure as the tank fills up). I'm hoping it's a bad solenoid on the vapor canister, but I'm shooting in the dark a bit. There's another part (purge valve) that I may have to try and it's $18 before shipping. Hope this helps. Appears this will occur on every canyon/colorado when they hit the 100K mark.
  • I have a 2005 Chevy Colorado 4wd 5-cyl. (91,000). If my truck sits for awhile while it is running my check engine light will come, after I drive it for awhile the light will reset itself and go off. Well now, the light has come on, and the last three times that I have tried to get gas, the pump will shut off after about 70 cents. I have to stop for a minute and then start again. It takes forever to put as in it. When I unscrew the gas cap I hear a pshhhhh. like air is coming out, can someone help me here.
  • biscuit3biscuit3 Posts: 1
    I also have a 05 colorado n have the same fuel problem! Did you find a solution to the problem? If so please let me know! Thanks!
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,131
    Hello,
    I am from Gm Customer Service. Have you taken the vehicle to the dealership to have it diagnosed? How long has the problem been going on? Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
  • n0scuc0n0scuc0 Posts: 1
    I have an 04 Colorado crew cab with the same problem after $0.80 it shut off! took it in to check it out all breather lines where fine. after a few shot in the dark quick fix it came out to be EVAPORATOR EMISSIONS CANISTER in the gas tank! as of now seems to be work fine
    Hello N0scuc0,
    I am glad that you found a fix for your vehicle. If you have any further concerns with the vehicle please let me know. Thank you,
  • leadfoot4leadfoot4 Posts: 593
    edited June 2010
    I don't drive my Canyon 4x4 too much in the summer, it's primarily a winter use vehicle. However, a couple of weeks ago, I needed to get a few bags of fertilizer and some mulch for the gardens, so out came the truck. A couple of miles down the road, on goes the "fuel cap" warning message on the dash. The truck's gas cap hadn't been touched in quite a while, but when I get to the garden center, I check it anyway...it's tight. I get the light again, while on the way home.

I install a new cap, as it's not too expensive, and thoroughly clean the inside of the filler neck. To test things out, I drive the truck to work the next day, message re-appears on the dash. Get home from work, throw the scan tool on, get "major air leak in vent line" error code, as well as "intermittant lean mis-fire" error code.

I clean the MAF and throttle body, again clean the filler neck of the tank, and clear the codes. Test drive truck, "gas cap" error message again. Take truck to dealer, they replace the tank vent solenoid. Yes, I have a few months of my GMPP warranty left, so they "cover" the bill, but it's $100 deductable. Yeah, I know that dealer labor isn't cheap, but I know the part, in reality, is about $25-30, and I gave them the error code from the computer, so that minimized their diagnostic time. I also heard that this isn't all that rare of a problem. But, it still cost me $100 out of pocket.

Yes, I know the truck is 5.5 years old, but it has under 30,000 miles on it...SHEESH! I sure hope that this isn't the beginning of a trend.....
  • 2004 colorado I5 motor my gas gauge stopped working day after fill up. Gauge says empty low fuel message on.removed fuel pump from tank checked sending unit with ohm meter resistance gets higher when i raise fuel lever to simulate full tank. Seems to work the way its suppose to also checked voltage 4.29 at plug Anyone know what else i should check. possible BCM needs reset.
  • bc22bc22 Posts: 2
    where can i find the canister vent solenoide,it takes forever to fill it up..mechanic said i need to bring it in..i have the part but can't find it..
  • dotzertdotzert Posts: 1
    I was having the same problem. We have an 04.I took the bed off.It was located on the frame in front of the spare tire.We took the canister off & hooked it up to a 12 volt charger to see if it was opening &closing.Staying closed all the time.There's a spring on the inside.We took it out & put it on the other side to hold the vent open all the time.Fixed the problem & didn't cost a penny.Hope this helps.
  • bc22bc22 Posts: 2
    i have a 2005 colorado 4wd i-5 engine,took thru a car wash and now it shifts hard and won't shift into 4th gear,even tried shifting manually but the problem is still there...any ideas?????
    Hello Bc22,
    Have you had anyone look at the vehicle since the concern started? Did you have any shifting concerns before going to the car wash? Thank you,
  • The check engine light and fuel cap light was always on in my 2004 Chevy Colorado. I was tired of spending the money on gas caps, and no one could figure out the problem in Michigan.

I recently moved to Texas where they have the emissions test. The truck failed due to a leak in the ***** evaporative emission control system*****

The repair facility had to smoke the system to find the leak. They replaced the evap cannister ($200 for part??) and everything is working fine at the moment, no fuel cap or check engine light.

now just set back and wait for the next repair
  • the_big_althe_big_al Posts: 1,073
    Very interesting... I just acquired a 2004 Colorado with the I-5 motor. It too is throwing the "Check fuel cap" code. Sometimes it will throw on the check engine light, and then switch over to the "check fuel cap" code. It usually only happens if I let the truck idle for a few minutes before driving off.

It will go away if I shut the truck off and then restart it. But now I am curious as to what this is? It sounds like it really isnt the fuel cap, but something else. It hasnt affected drive-ability yet, but I don't really want it too either. I also don't have a ton of money to throw at it. So if I can do something on my own without spending tons of money on parts that is what I am looking for.
  • leadfoot4leadfoot4 Posts: 593
    edited April 2011
    "big-al", read post #22......
  • I purchased an '04 Colorado last August. It has overflowed at the pump every time I've not manually shut off. Anyhow, I found this discussion, decided to call Chevrolet and found out that there is an extended coverage on the gas cap- even to secondary owners with expired warranties. Call Chevy at 1-800-630-2438. They will get you in to your local dealership for a look. Hope this helps some of you. :)