Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Colorado and GMC Canyon Fuel System

2»

Comments

• citrius91citrius91 Posts: 2
    j/w if that fixed your problems? thanks jason
  • citrius91citrius91 Posts: 2
    p0030
    p0128
    p0230
    p0300
    p0446
    p0894
    p0496
    05 chevy colorado
    thanks jason
  • akexakex Posts: 2
    I've had this vehicle for a year now. Its got about 70K on it and it hasnt been beaten. The problem im having is that I'm not getting the MPG's that its suppose to do, not even close its supposed to do 16 MPG for city driving and 21 MPG for hwy driving. I'm averaging in the summer around 13 MPG and less in the winter. All the things that I could do to help my fuel consumtion I did. Like add a new air filter, did a purge, flushed my oil a couple of times. I dont have big tires, I always try to keep my engine from reving over 2000 RPM. Is this normal? If not what is the solution? Thanks, Alex
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,134
    akex,
    The best fuel economy possible is the direct result of proper maintenance and good driving habits. Listed below are GM's recommendations to achieve the best mileage possible. The first group are things to consider for your vehicle, while the second are tips relating to your driving habits.

One of the major contributors to poor fuel economy are under inflated tires. Tires low with pressure create drag that the vehicle’s powertrain must overcome, wasting dollars in fuel. Always keep your tires inflated to the proper pressure as shown on the vehicle placard. This not only serves to increase gas mileage but cuts down on tire wear, further decreasing your costs per mile.

A vehicle that has a dirty air filter can’t efficiently draw air into the engine. This restriction forces the engine to expend energy to "breathe" wasting fuel in the process. Change recommendations are found in your vehicle Owner’s Manual.

Always use the proper viscosity oil in your engine. Oil that has a higher than required viscosity will create more drag on the internal components of the engine causing more work for it, especially when cold. Each Owner’s Manual contains information on the proper type of oil for your vehicle. Look for the "starburst" symbol on the front of the bottle, and the SM rating on the API circle on the back label. If you are in doubt, stop by your dealer for an oil change, and any other services required. Most current GM vehicles are equipped with oil life monitors to further assist on the "when" to change your oil. (Aveo/Wave/Optra/Epica currently do not have oil life monitors).

Note: GM Vehicles DO NOT require additional engine oil additives. Some additives may cause harmful effects to the internal seals and additionally void the terms of your vehicles New Car Warranty.
    Purchasing higher than required octane fuel is a waste of money. Using higher octane fuels in a vehicle that only required regular unleaded fuel will neither increase performance nor improve gas mileage. In all cases refer to your owner’s manual and ONLY use the octane rated fuel recommended for your vehicle.

Even though current GM vehicles have 100,000 mi (160,000 km) service intervals for spark plugs if your vehicle is at that point in its life, have the spark plugs changed to assure proper running and continued efficient, trouble free operation.

Avoid quick/full throttle acceleration from a standstill in town and high cruising speeds on the interstates. While the optimum MPG for highway cruising speed varies from vehicle to vehicle, faster is almost always worse. If your vehicle is equipped with a Driver Information Center that displays Instant Fuel Economy, select that readout and vary your cruising speed while on the highway. The display will change continuously with uphill and downhill sections but you should quickly be able to identify on level ground the speed range that your vehicle does the best in. Avoid leaving unnecessary items in your trunk. It takes power to move increased weight and that means more gasoline consumption and reduced performance. While the change may be slight, multiplied by thousands of miles, it all adds up. Your vehicle uses much more fuel when the engine is cold. This is especially true in the winter months when the engine will take the longest to warm up. Combine errands or trips so that the vehicle only needs to warm up once to encompass many different stops.

If you still believe you have a concern please visit a dealer. They will be able to look into the situation.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • akexakex Posts: 2
    Hi Christina,

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate your time. Everything mentioned above has been addressed and I've also brought it to the dealership and I keep getting the same response I just received from you. Has there been any issues with the fuel injectors, could they be sending too much gasoline then necessary? I'm running out of ideas... Does anyone else have any issues with their Canyon?
  • Hi All,

I have a 2005 Colorado with 68K miles, the check engine light recently came on, it shows two codes, both P0442. Mine is an I5 engine 4WD, extended cab. I understand this indicates a leak in the evap ssytem, which the sensor checks by trying to hold vacuum. I replace the fuel cap to no avail. Does any one know of a way to defeat this sytem to make the Check engine light go off, like plug the line between the sensor and the tank?

I bought this truck new, it has been a troublesome vehicle, tire wear that seems to unfixable, water leaks, multiple elctrical problems. I should get 150k miles or 10 years with zero problems, very disappointed in this truck.
  • Good morning,

I understand your frustration, and can appreciate the fact that you are seeking to resolve these concerns on your own. If we could look and see if there are any open recalls or special coverages on your vehicle, we would be happy to do so if you were to email us the last 8 digits of your VIN.

I realize that working with a dealership is not an option at times, whether due to technical expertise or other factors. If you do decide to work with a dealership in the future, though, I just wanted to let you know that we would like to make sure that things go well. Just let us know through an email (preferably, if you could include your name and contact info, last 8 digits of your VIN, the name of your dealership and appointment information) and we'd be sure to follow up on that.

Happy Holidays,
    Sarah
    GM Customer Service
  • caoroncaoron Posts: 4
    I have 2004 Colorado Z71 Crew Cab With I5 engine and I'm experencing intermittent hesitation on acceleration, expecially when I first drive off after vehicle has been sitting for a while and cold. I have already experenced the Carbon Buildup in the Throttle body and I just cleaned that and I am still experencing the hesitation problem as if it is not getting fuel. After a few seconds it will continue acceleration. Anyone experenced this problem. P.S. Also the engine light comes on for a couple of days and then resets.
  • I have an 06 Chevy Colorado, bought it used with 50,000 miles. My husband and I have put about 10,000 miles on it and had no problems until a few months ago. We thought it was the fuses at first because the first time it wouldn't crank one of the fuses had come loose, it happened once more with the fuses so we replaced some of them. Have had issues where I couldn't get it to crank so my husband would drive home from work to only have it start up the first time he tries!! The probem has progressively gotten worse over the last few weeks, where it would happen every once in a while to where it was an everyday, nonstop thing. The last two weeks it has taken longer and longer to get the truck to start up with trying to start it in the ten minute intervals. This past week the time frame went to 15 to 30 minutes of trying to an hour and half sometimes two hours of trying till it would finally start. Three days ago my huband spent an hour and a half trying to get it to start doing the 10 min. of wait time, and it would start and then sputter out and die a few times before it finaly started up and ran just fine. Yesterday we tried it and after two hours of trying couldn't get it to start. So we had it towed to the dealership and it actually did the same thing there, it kept sputtering out and dying on them too! Mechanics are saying it is the fuel pump, that it isn't holding pressure, hooked it up to the machine and showed my husband the gauges and it really isn't! Has anyone else had the problem? I have scoured the forums and seen a lot of Colorados with starting issues but none that end like mine. Just wondering if it really is the fuel pump or should I still be worried about the Passlock system, we thought it was that at first too!
  • Oh the mechanics told us that the reason the fuel pump has gone bad is becaus its only driven around the city. I am a stay at home so only do around town driving. I had a Chrysler Mini Van for three years and thats all the driving it got exept for one trip to Florida, never had to replace anything on it!! Their reasonin just doesn't make any sense unless its a design flaw in the system!!
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,134
    jibrewer5,

We're sorry to hear that you've encountered this starting issue with your Colorado. If you would like for us to follow up on this situation with your dealership, please email us at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name and contact information, a summary of the situation, the last 8 digits of your VIN and mileage, and the name of your involved dealership).

Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • hi dick28540:

i have a 04 Colorado, and the gas filter was very easy to change.
    JUST BE SHURE, YOU BLEED THE HIGH PRESSURE OFF GAS LINE. BEFORE YOU UNHOOK ANYTHING. unplug the fuel pump FUSE, start the truck,let it DIE,
    (or run out of gas). then and only then UNHOOK fuel lines from filter, which IS OUTSIDE,of gas tank. my 04 cost me $15.00 to buy, and my time.
    WARNING....... DON`T PUT THE FILTER ON BACKWARDS. WATCH THE ARROW,
    MARKED ON THE FILTER. THE ARROW WILL BE POINTING (AWAY FROM THE TANK.) Now how simple can that be? and oh yes, PUT THE FUSE BACK IN.
    RICHY
  • THANK YOU repairagain:
    i am having the same trouble with my 04 colorado, ck lite.
    i have a NEW gas cap, replaced it in 2011, fixed the lite on. but now and then the ck lite will come on and stay on. and the gas pump will shoot gas out tank
    if you stand too close. MUST BE THE BACK PRESSURE, I WILL ck my bleeder relay, on the canister. THANK YOU AGAIN.
    RICHY
  • ok you will love this problem,
    seems evap system is faulty, but i saw the gas beening put into my truck,
    and as the pump shut off automatic, i saw a gush of GAS behind the gas filler neck.
    So i took off the rear splash shield, to see the FILLER tube, i cked it all, and could NOT find anything loose, or cracked, missing. So i shall watch the next fill up. with the shield OFF, IT DID GUSH BEHIND THE GAS FILLER DOOR.

Richy
  • caoroncaoron Posts: 4
    I have experienced a similar problem with my 04 Colorado Z71 Crew Cab 3.5 I in the past couple of months. I have encountered a problem of not starting eventhough the engine turns over normally. After sitting for a few minutes and retrying, it started. The last time it took longer for it to start. I came on here to see if I could get some answers as to what was causing the problem. It is as though the ignition was turned off or fuel shut off. I was also concerned that it might be something to do with the security. Did replacing the fuel filter take care of your problem? If so, how expensive was it?
2»