Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda CX-9 Problems

• jrenni said:

rick254 said:

We have a 2008 CX-9 with about 85,000 miles on it. Approximately 10,000 miles ago it started exhibiting the following symptoms:

When going about 30-40 mph under very light load (level or slightly downhill), when the transmission is showing it is in 4th gear, the car will vibrate slightly when you put light pressure on the accelerator. The feeling is very much like running over mild rumble strips on the road. If you accelerate more aggressively, it runs smoothly/normally. If you put the transmission in manual mode, it will not display these symptoms - only when in automatic mode.

This started out very subtlety - my wife would point it out to me and I couldn't even notice it. But over time it has gotten more and more pronounced.

Again - only seems to happen when going between 30-40 mph in 4th gear under light load and when light acceleration.

Any idea what this is or what I should do about it? The transmission fluid has never been changed. My wife did take it to a Mazda dealer some months ago but all he said was "it's the transmission" and indicated it would cost about $2500 to repair. He also didn't seem to think it was anything that could suddenly get worse and let us stranded.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Hello Rick. I am a Mazda master technician. I have been with Mazda 25 yrs. and have delt with almost any problem know to mazdas. You issue specific applies to the operation of the torque converter in your transmission. I noticed your 9 has about 85k and you said you have never serviced the fluid. Many people will tell you that trans fluid services are not recommended but remember that as all fluids go through constant thermal cycling, there is a breakdown occurring and with trans fluid the friction modifiers fall away and wear will certainly occur. Your mazda takes a specific fluid #jws3309 and that fluid is the only fluid that should be used. Unfortunately in the case of your vehicle, the problem will not go away. The feeling your getting is from torque converter chatter during application. You will notice it about 4 gear on the dash between 30 to 40. I have replaced several transmissions specifically for this problem. Sorry the news can't be better but remember that in the future, change your trans fluid at least by 50k. P.s I am already dealing with trans issues w/ 2014/2015 Mazda 6 and when I look at the fluid coming out of these transmissions,I can already see the breakdown in the fluid. They use a type FZ fluid that is blue but when I take this stuff out of transmissions at 10 k miles it's already broken down to a dark gold.
  • sebr0d1e1sebr0d1e1 Posts: 1

I have had the same problem as Rick with my wife's 2009 CX9 (has 99+K miles on it, but the issue started several thousand miles back when my wife first reported the issue, and has steadily worsened over time), and our vehicle has spent the last 2 months in the shop with the dealership (who have provided us with a loaner) attempting to determine the cause/subsequent resolution for it.

I can recreate the problem at will when I'm driving; anywhere between 35-45 mph, 4th-6th gear (and on occasion going up a steep hill under 35mph, but in 4th gear), with a light throttle application (like giving it a little gas to maintain speed up a hill, or to keep up with the flow of traffic) the car behaves as Rick described, sounding like traveling over rumble strips, but feeling like its having a problem grabbing the next gear. When I get a good one, it feels like someone has hit or kicked the back of the vehicle.

I've had the Master Tech, Service Advisor and Service Mgr all ride with me at various times, and all have experienced and acknowledged the problem. My SA, a former mechanic himself with 11yrs experience, who happened to be riding behind me at the time, indicated he could feel the 'clunking' and 'jerking' (which feels to me like transmission slippage from driver's seat) right underneath his feet (i.e. behind the driver's seat). That's why I originally took the car in for service when I noticed the problem (my wife, the DD of the car, had noticed waaaay before me, but it was a here-there thing; once the problem exacerbated, she had me drive it, and that's when I noticed it as well), because I thought it was a transmission issue.

At this point, I'm not even sure its the transmission, and I can tell you, it ain't something a fluid change can fix, as the following attempts have been made to fix the problem:
    *replaced transmission (three new (i.e. rebuilt) 3rd party trans and 1 new Mazda-sourced Aisin trans failed to
    *all transmission fluids were drained, flushed and refilled
    *replacement of TCM/PCM; these were also updated before replacement was attempted.
    *removal of driveshaft (its AWD Touring model) during which issue still occurs.
    *there was one other thing they fixed that was broken on the back end of the vehicle, which they noticed during a thorough examination, but I can't remember what it was they fixed.

As for the transfer case, that was replaced about six months before I took the car in for this issue, as my dealership went ahead and replaced it via TSB (or recall, not sure which) since they knew there was a problem for existing TFCs, and I already had it in the shop for an oil change (didn't cost me anything since I had the superlative Ford Extended Warranty which has been a gift from God!).

After each attempt to resolve the problem using the methods indicated above, I've test driven the vehicle and each time I drive it, the problem is still there. I've even gotten to the point that I now have a route mapped out for me to test drive it that includes flat surfaces, hill and curves (this problem is easiest to replicate for me going up hills, or up hills with curves in them).

I wish replacing the transmission was the solution as we'd already have our car back and be in good shape (the transmission replacement comes with a 2-year extended warranty from FEW company), but that hasn't proven to be the case. We are still looking for a solution, which is how I found this thread when searching for a way to contact Mazda TE myself (dealership has engaged them, but they keep telling the dealership to replace the transmission...). If we ever get it figured out, I'll follow up with a post on the solution so others can be armed with the knowledge if required!
  • gpomjr2gpomjr2 Posts: 2
    Has anyone figured out this rumble/vibration? I pinpointed to the rear but not sure what.Any suggestions?
  • Jay MorrisJay Morris OhioPosts: 1
    I Purchased a 2008 Mazda CX-9 Touring in July 2008. Ordered it from the factory and had it delivered to DC where we picked it up and started our journey to San Antonio TX. I researched the vehicle pretty heavily, I was looking at the Honda Pilot, Volvo XC90, and the Mazda CX-9. We ultimately went with the Mazda. The price for what we got and the ride pretty much sold the vehicle. Well, 7 years later and 93,245 miles on it it has failed us. The water pump failed at 91,800 miles. For those of you who don't know, this motor has an internal water pump. It is housed inside the timing housing which is where the timing chain and a lot of oil is located. The coolant went into the oil pan, causing the engine to overheat and we had to tow the vehicle home about 100 miles. I decided to have the water pump replaced, even though it cost ~$2,200.00. We drove the vehicle about 1,000 miles then had the oil changed and coolant system checked out. We were told by the dealership that the engine was running good and all the fluids looked good. So, we decided to take the vehicle on our family vacation. Our vacation destination was around 500 miles away. The vehicle seemed to be running fine until the return trip. About half way home the vehicle started to overheat on a steep incline. We then lost power, because something had broke loose. Making the assumption that the water pump failed again, because we experienced the same symptoms as the first time. The motor began to make a very loud noise, sounded like a "rod knocking". I returned "towed" the vehicle to the place of repair approximately 250 miles from where we broke down. The dealership believes there is a "rod knocking", I'm sure internal engine damage probably occurred after the first water pump failed. Now, I have a car that I can't drive without replacing the motor.
    When I first purchased the vehicle, I was very pleased with the fit and finish and performance of the vehicle, but I can't believe that less than 100,000 miles that this engine failed.
  • beradberad Posts: 22
    I have a 2010 CX9 AWD Touring. Has anyone had an issue with the driver side door lock actuator? Right now all the doors (except the driver's door) lock and unlock with the remote fob or the unlock/lock button. The driver's door can only be unlocked and locked manually (with the key or moving the interior lock).

The electric motor in the door (actuator) has been anemic in performance for a few months and just seems like its finally died.

I had the car in the dealer today for regular service. The tech said he would need an hour to diagnose, perhaps its something cheaper than the actuator. Rather than pay a tech an hour to play around - should I just pony up and pay $339 I was quoted to replace the actuator ? I was wondering if anyone else had this issue and any insights.
  • I have a 2009 CX9 and have to replace the transfer case twice. The first was within 4 years and still under warrantee, and the second was 2 years later that was not covered. I have contacted Mazda USA & they said there is nothing that they can offer me as this is not a defect. Clearly they have not read or choose to read all the posting that this is a recurring issue. I have been a Mazda owner for 18 years and will make me reconsider for how much longer.