Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda CX-9 Problems

1131415161719»

Comments

• jrenni said:

rick254 said:

Hi,

We have a 2008 CX-9 with about 85,000 miles on it. Approximately 10,000 miles ago it started exhibiting the following symptoms:

When going about 30-40 mph under very light load (level or slightly downhill), when the transmission is showing it is in 4th gear, the car will vibrate slightly when you put light pressure on the accelerator. The feeling is very much like running over mild rumble strips on the road. If you accelerate more aggressively, it runs smoothly/normally. If you put the transmission in manual mode, it will not display these symptoms - only when in automatic mode.

This started out very subtlety - my wife would point it out to me and I couldn't even notice it. But over time it has gotten more and more pronounced.

Again - only seems to happen when going between 30-40 mph in 4th gear under light load and when light acceleration.

Any idea what this is or what I should do about it? The transmission fluid has never been changed. My wife did take it to a Mazda dealer some months ago but all he said was "it's the transmission" and indicated it would cost about $2500 to repair. He also didn't seem to think it was anything that could suddenly get worse and let us stranded.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Rick

Hello Rick. I am a Mazda master technician. I have been with Mazda 25 yrs. and have delt with almost any problem know to mazdas. You issue specific applies to the operation of the torque converter in your transmission. I noticed your 9 has about 85k and you said you have never serviced the fluid. Many people will tell you that trans fluid services are not recommended but remember that as all fluids go through constant thermal cycling, there is a breakdown occurring and with trans fluid the friction modifiers fall away and wear will certainly occur. Your mazda takes a specific fluid #jws3309 and that fluid is the only fluid that should be used. Unfortunately in the case of your vehicle, the problem will not go away. The feeling your getting is from torque converter chatter during application. You will notice it about 4 gear on the dash between 30 to 40. I have replaced several transmissions specifically for this problem. Sorry the news can't be better but remember that in the future, change your trans fluid at least by 50k. P.s I am already dealing with trans issues w/ 2014/2015 Mazda 6 and when I look at the fluid coming out of these transmissions,I can already see the breakdown in the fluid. They use a type FZ fluid that is blue but when I take this stuff out of transmissions at 10 k miles it's already broken down to a dark gold.