Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda CX-9 Problems

Comments

• Did you ever get a response to your question? The TSB# for this problem is: SB-04-003-10. I had this same problem last summer (2011), brought it to the dealership's attention & they could not find a solution. At the time I brought it in, the car did not exhibit the noise & I was not aware of the TSB. My car is now not under warranty & I'm looking to see how much this is going to cost me. Thanks.
  • mcx9mcx9 Posts: 1
    skaplan - Did you ever receive resolution to your transmission whine problem? It is related to the torque converter which engages at around 42mph in 6th gear under steady speed. I have the same problem which has progressively worsened.
  • The dealer, after consulting with Mazda, concluded it was a vehicle characteristic and not a problem. They indicate that many CX-9's make such a sound, though no others I drove sound like mine. They also say they have no problems with these transmissions, which are Asins such as found in Lexus, etc... I too find that the problem kicks in right around 42mph when going into 6th. Generally on a straight away where steady speed can be maintained. I'd say the sound extends up to around 47mph. Dealer speculated that the clutch, and I think he meant torque converter as you say, was going in and out at that speed, or transitioning, and thus the sound I hear. The indicator consistently shows 6th gear, and the ride is smooth without problem, so I have no sense that the tranny is transitioning. Their response does not satisfy me, and I have a case number. Perhaps if you get to the same point, we can then point them to multiple reports of the same issue.
  • bmohorekbmohorek Posts: 3
    Any more info on this problem? I just bought a used 2010 CX-9 GT and
    it is showing the exact same issue at 42 mph.... I have seen other posts
    mentioning whining noise but not specific to speed, saying it may be
    related to fuel pump issue?
  • I am getting intermittent glare, depending on the position of the sun, from the plastic and chrome Mazda emblem in the center of the steering column. This is distracting and aggravating...wondered if anyone else has experienced this. Of course there is always another use for duct tape!
  • davichodavicho Posts: 190
    ...or tilt and fore/aft adjustment. :shades:
  • ipedrosaipedrosa Posts: 1
    Hi all,

We own a 2007 Mazda CX9 with only 30,000 miles. We just moved from Boston to Dallas and about a month ago the right front axle fell apart - we thought we had heard something hit the car in the highway but when we took the car to the shop we were were told it was severely rusted. Luckily it did not break on the highway. Then the guys at the shop said the the right front suspension was also rusted and recommended changing it; then they said the same about the left rear and finally about the right rear suspension. Then they say that the exhaust will need to be replaced too. After expending a lot of money on the car we are now told we are probably looking at $8,000-$10,000 to fix everything. Again this is a car with only 30,000 miles that slept in a garage its entire life. Of course, Mazda response was that this is normal and not covered by the guarantee. I would like to know if anyone else has had a similar experience. I have no doubt that this issue will be a major recall for Mazda because it represents a major safety concern. I recommend that anyone with a CX9 living in the North East takes their car in for an inspection. Hopefully enough people raise their voice and forces Mazda to fix this issue.
  • skaplanskaplan Posts: 4
    No, but I have a service coming up and will try another dealer who is local. I do have a complaint and case number on file with Mazda. Perhaps we can cross reference each if you do the same.
  • khallymankhallyman Posts: 2
    I own a 2007 CX9. I have experienced a similar problem. In my case, the front windows and the sunroof open by themselves soon after I close the door and before I have the chance to lock the car. The strange part is that it is not a consistent behavior. It happens only once every 10 times. Another possibly related issue is that, while driving, the doors lock by themselves and then unlock again a second later. I would appreciate input from anyone who has been able to correct this.
  • I purchased a 2010 AWD CX-9 in Feb. 2011. Heard the whinning sound as being described here. In August 2011, had to replace transfer case, etc. Noise really never went away. Well, now in July 2012, looks like I have another transfer case issue. Let me know if anyone else has experienced transfer case/transmission issues with the Mazda CX-9 (especially 2010 model.)
    I bought my 2010 AWD CX-9 used in May of 2012 (36k). I
    heard the noise soon after, had the PTO and Transmission
    replaced by the local Mazda dealer without a problem, but the
    noise is still pretty much the same. During the time they had the
    car I got a free loaner 2012 and also heard the noise in that,
    although maybe less noticeable. What is your new transfer
    case issue?
  • k1200k1200 Posts: 40
    My cx9 2009 had major issues starting with the slot for the cd never being opened,
    windows opening for no reason while driving
    drivers seat self adjusting while driving
    a horrible creaking noise when you make a u turn , which resulted in Mazda tech putting lithium grease everywhere didnt work.
    All console light going out
    The most interesting was when I would turn the vehicle off completely, the interior fan (front and rear) would come on full blast and run for about 10 minutes.
    They told me "thats impossible" I had the mgr meet me outside and showed him, this killed my battery 2x.
    The last straw was while driving home 40mph I started to hear a grinding noise and the vehicle began to go slower and slower,
    Transfer case had died, metal fragments and various other parts in the fluid. Had it towed back to the dealer, who said Quote... The vehicle has apparently been used for racing and exposed to ocean water over 10 inches. ??????? really.... Im a senior citizen, in the City miles from any beach. and again really racing a cx9....
    They denied my warranty....
    I went to another Mazda dealer....cleaned it up had my lovely wife show it to them to sell it.
    The vehicle body was mint, garage kept etc....
    They bought the car, we now have another car not a Mazda....
    never again ;)
  • charron6charron6 Posts: 2
    I have a 2010 CX-9 Grand Touring that I bought new in July 2010. In February 2012 and with just under 37k miles, the transfer case and transmission had to be replaced. We were without the car for over a month while waiting for them to put in transfer case and transmission #2.

The new transmission made a whistling noise that got higher (pitched) as you drove faster (sort of like a teapot when it boils). That transmission was replaced with transmission #3 in May 2012.

We never even got the car back from the dealer before the next transmission (#4) was put in, as transmission #3 was defective directly from the factory with a crack and leaked during the dealers test drive within 24 hours after being installed.

The car continued to give us problems in reverse (felt like it was bucking) and we had a motor mount replaced last week which cured the problem.

We've never towed with this car and it's been driven by my wife daily. It's always been well maintained and never beaten on.

For as many problems that we've had, I still continue to like this car. It gives a great ride and a very nice interior. But...I can't trust it anymore and we've got to get rid of it. I'd like to get the same car if Mazda would help me get into a new one given all of the issues that we've had, but I've asked them and they said no. To say it's frustrating is an understatement. While I've heard of many transfer case issues with this model, I have not heard of anyone having this many transmission problems.

I'm considering a Pilot, Acadia or Traverse. Hopefully I won't have as many issues with my next vehicle!
    Did Transmission #1 have the whistling problem or some other problem?
    Also, did trans #2 exhibit the whistling at certain speeds/gears? Finally, I
    take it that #4 does not make the noise at all?
  • charron6charron6 Posts: 2
    The only transmission that whistled was #2. The first one failed when the transfer case failed. The third one had a crack and the 4th one is running good so far (it's been about a month).
  • I have same issue with smart key but found that my iPhone was the culprit. The key doesn't like the smart phone. If I turn off the cellular network, it works fine. ALSO, when I change the battery, the rubber sleeve that holds it in place must be totally pressed in on ALL edges....hope this helps.

To reset the key, (since smart phone disables it) you must take out the battery. PAIN, I know. But if you remember to keep phone away from the key, you are alright...
  • I concur. The keyless start on my '09 CX-9 has been the bane of my existence. I need a solution to this issue too.
  • Never put your key fob near your cell phone. The key fob won't work for a while after you remove the cell phone.
  • Had the same problem on my 07.

The window weather stripping is faulty and folds over in the corner losing its seal. I drive on the highway at 75 plus a lot and it is very annoying.

I tried silicone behind the weather stripping and it just came of. My fix was expandable foam behind the weather stripping to hold it out sealing it to the window. Worked great. Good luck!
  • davichodavicho Posts: 190
    I have the same issue on the front passenger door. Seems to come from the upper corner and happens to be right by your ear when sitting down. Can you post a link to a picture of your fix or can you email a picture to me. I'd like to fix it the same way you did, that wind noise drives me nuts.