Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda CX-9 Problems

Comments

• ozeyozey Posts: 18
    My 2010 cx9 22k, always feel like an engine break when it shifts down to 4th gear, normal? Always!
  • jackcx9jackcx9 Posts: 2
    Hi Rick, I have a 2008 CX9 and I am experiencing exactly the same problem.

Have you managed to have it fixed?

My Mazda dealer first said it was the ABS, replaced at $1,451., vibration was still there. Then they said it was the rear drive shaft, replaced at $450, vibration was still there. Told them they don't have a clue, that they are just guessing and got all my money back.
    I'm going to a local independent garage on Monday.

Any info you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Thx
    Jack
  • nursemomnursemom Posts: 1
    We had the same exact thing happen last Friday night. The buckling sound and then the smoke. Our mechanic even saw metal in our oil! We are picking up the Mazda tonight and it is under warranty; however, I have been paying out of pocket for a rental car. It is going to cost me $200 through AAA. I don't feel like I should be taking a hit for a KNOWN problem. Any ideas how to approach this with Mazda? All these conversations are making me super nervous about a car I used to love and had NO problems with until this happened. So frustrated!
  • tommorantommoran Posts: 1
    Rick,

2010 fwd CX9 with 30,000. Had the exact same symptoms when accellerating lightly at about 40 mph. Took it to the dealer (still under warranty) and they changed the transmission fluid. Has been a week now, and I haven't noticed any more shuddering.

Tom
  • ruthc11ruthc11 Posts: 10
    I am have exactly the same issue - 80k miles, vibrating between 3rd & 4th gear and now squeaking/scaping sound coming from under car in drive shaft or wheel area (I think that's where it's coming from). What did you find or figure out? The local dealers seems to be clueless.

Ruth
  • dbncdbnc Posts: 1
    Hi,

I just started having something similar happening. Have you found out what the problem is?
    I had to have it towed to a different dealer today. Seems there is something up with the transmission, some sort of gear box and if the box locks up while moving on the road, we'd like roll. Not looking forward to hearing the final diagnosis on Monday but I will be fixing and trading this car in sooner rather than later.

Just to be clear here's what has been happening with my car: about a month ago, the car was dead and we replaced the battery. While it was in the shop, I had them do the routine service that was due and rotate the tires. As I was driving away from the service dealer, I noticed that there was a slight vibration between 30-40 mph as I drove and a scraping sound in the front right wheel area. I took it back the next day and he said the drive shaft was going bad. Nothing I needed to fix right now but that it was out of warranty (I'm at 80k). I leave without fixing and as the weeks have progressed, the noise gets louder and begins to sound like a screw that's not oiled but very loud. After several days, I call a new dealer service provider and get the bad news that it's like a major transmission issue and the car is unsafe to drive the 10 minutes to the dealer. (Note I've been driving the car with my three small children daily for weeks now.)

Ugh..
  • carl_in_ctcarl_in_ct Posts: 2
    edited June 2013
    I had the exact same issue as staggs4 start about a week ago with the wierd noise behind the dash. It seemed intermittent and although it behaved sort of like a bad wheel bearing since it only happened on the right front when steering left, it didn't sound or feel like a wheel bearing. So I played with it and figured out that it only happens when the fan is on, no matter if the a/c or heat was on or not, it was the fan that mattered. Then I listened more closely and noticed the sound of water sloshing around from behind the dashboard. I brought it to a dealer today. He said he has seen this several times before (though not with a CX-9) and was confident it is just water in the heater box. When I turn left it is sending the water trapped in the heater box to the right and hitting the fan. He said it's an easy fix, they just have to clean out the drain hole and let the water out and it should be fine. They do have to take the wheel off and remove the wheel well plastic so it's still a $99 fee but that's a whole lot better than a few thousand for major front end problem. I hope that's really all it is, I'll let you know when I get the car back.
  • OK, they did the car same day and I picked it up last night. Seems fine, the noise is definitely gone. They said the drain from the heater box was clogged with pollen, small bits of old leaves, stuff like that so it was full of water. I guess they had to pull the passenger front wheel and the plastic part inside the wheel well off to get at the drain hole. So for $99 I can't complain, a lot better than a couple thousand on major front end and/or drive train problems. I'm pretty releived as the car is back to normal so far.
    My issue seems to require a drive shaft replacement and some fixes to some worn parts in the wheel. $2000 later I hope to get my car back this Friday.
  • 2013cx92013cx9 Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I've already taken the car to the dealer once, but they couldn't replicate both issues... it was cool out and raining. Plan to take the car back soon for a second look.
    1) Driver side A/C: We've only had the car 6 months and it just started getting warmer here. As a result, didn't need the A/C until now. Long story short, driver side air blows warm to slightly cool air while both passenger side and rear are getting cold air. The situation seems to improve after about thirty minutes driving.
    2) The car produces what I can only describe as a rubbing noise at slow speeds when turning right. This doesn't happen all the time and I haven't been able to figure out how to reproduce the sound.

One more problem while I'm at it: I feel like there is significant resistance around 35mph when I take my foot off the gas pedal. The car doesn't coast, it slows down significantly. This normal behavior?

Thanks in advance.
    Here's an update but note the original issues were: about a month ago, the car was dead and we replaced the battery. While it was in the shop, I had them do the routine service that was due and rotate the tires. As I was driving away from the service dealer, I noticed that there was a slight vibration between 30-40 mph as I drove and a scraping sound in the front right wheel area. I took it back the next day and he said the drive shaft was going bad. Nothing I needed to fix right now but that it was out of warranty (I'm at 80k). I leave without fixing and as the weeks have progressed, the noise gets louder and begins to sound like a screw that's not oiled but very loud. After several days, I call a new dealer service provider and get the bad news that it's like a major transmission issue and the car is unsafe to drive the 10 minutes to the dealer.

Findings: drive shaft replaced for a "known drive shaft failure issue" by Mazda; transfer case issues, bearings in a wheel broken (told they've never seen this happen before) and now the brake booster has to be replaced (also a known issue by Mazda as near as I can read). The local dealer who has the car is handling it but I'm clearly going to be out of pocket a couple of thousand dollars for "known issues" by Mazda. One remaining issue is that my tires have worn unevenly so they need to be replaced too or I'll cause my "back end" to go out.

Look, I'm not a car nut. I expect it to run properly and I expect the maker to appropriately warranty their work. That's not what's happening and I'm very disappointed in Mazda USA customer service as they say this is just normal wear and tear and they won't even take the complaint any further. Keep in mind, I've been driving around in an unsafe car for months now (as the original dealer service people said it was fine to drive) and putting my kids and me at risk. Not cool Mazda. I know 8 people who drive this car (same year and model) in my immediate vicinity. I'll be passing on my knowledge and learnings. Most of what everyone seems to describe above seems to fit into the drive shaft, transfer case and brake booster issues I've seen occur in my car.
  • dan302dan302 Posts: 1
    So disappointed to be reading all these posts as the same thing just happened to my 2009 CX-9. The car started shuddering and making loud clanking noises and stalled right in the middle of the road. Thank goodness I was on a rural road and not a highway as I had my three year old in the back seat! After reading all this, I contacted Mazda and we are waiting to see if they will cover any/all of the repairs since its not under warranty anymore. ugh, how has this problem not be recalled!
    I would love to hear what Mazda tells you and I'm not under warranty either and they (Maxda USA) basically told me to take a hike.
  • jddcjddc Posts: 1
    Hello,
    We have a CX9 2012 with 15,000 miles, 9 months old. First owners. Full and extended warranty. Could not ask for better right? Surprise!!!!
    Everything OK until last week. Out of the blue the a pungent fresh gasoline smell made it to the inside of the cabin while driving on highway. It lasted several minutes and we stopped in panic after realizing it was not coming from the old Econoline in front of us. Husband went under the car, checked nothing was leaking. I opened the hood and it was like opening a can of rotten eggs! Now the raw gasoline smell is mostly gone but the rotten egg smell happens sporadically and its intensity varies too. The dealer checked the car yesterday and concluded nothing was wrong, and that the smell is normal (WHAT? a 2012 model at almost $40,000 ???). He used a document issued by Mazda document recommending the following :

- Refill the car with good quality gasoline and drive 100 miles. We did that and nothing has changed.

- Do not drive short distances. We were driving on highway for 8 hours stretches when this started. So, I guess.... Moreover, what do regular people want their car for when they live in the suburbs? 2-5 mile drives to stores and soccer fields. Right? Therefore, I asked Mazda USA (in California) to clarify what short distance means since it is their document. They refused to clarify and passed on the responsibility to do so to the dealer. I have not asked him yet but I imagine what his answer will be.

- Avoid quick acceleration

After reading the recommendations I told the dealer what I wrote above: basically I fulfill the recommendations before taking it to the dealer's: filled-it with Shell, drove after that over 150 miles, all on highway, mostly using the cruise control so no sudden acceleration happened, and yet ROTTEN EGG SMELL!!!!!! The dealer said take it, observe it, bring it back so that we check it again and maybe we will contact Mazda directly. That is what my extended warranty bought me? Additional trips to convince the dealer to take action?
    For now I am keeping the name of the dealer to myself. Will be public tomorrow if they give the same story again after a second check-up. I do not get why when the car is under full and extended warranty the dealer is covering Mazda's a... And Mazda, what kind of explanation is that? Please stand for your product! Mazda tends to make excellent cars so a few flukes here and there should be taken care of and not denied. Or, is it because Mazda is aware that this is just the tip of the iceberg? By the way, there a number of Mazda models included in that list of recommendations. Not only the CX9. So yeah, it looks like Mazda is trying to convince the stupid user that rotten egg smell in a very new vehicle is normal. How trendy, how sexy! Maybe the objective is to force us roll-down the windows rain or shine to make sure the other cars can hear the sound system that commes with the car. Yes, and that is normal!
  • ozeyozey Posts: 18
    I took my 2011 CX9 to the dealer because when I put it in reverse, from park, I hear a click under the car. He told me he hears the click in all gears, but can't say why. He gave me a rental and kept the car, until he figures out the problem? Any Suggestions?
    Depending on where the click is coming from, I'd suggest its the transfer case (I've read similar posts to what you're describing) or the brake bearing is the noise is coming from the wheel.
  • hala1hala1 Posts: 1
    I have been interested in buying this vehicle used a 2008, but now I see all these reviews and am second guessing. I looked at other consumer reports and the rate is excellent says the car has minor issues, are these problems only with the '08 or all of them. As far as I see they didn't change much on the vehicle. I mean some people say they love it and some hate it. I am so confused. I love this car I test drove it runs great beautiful condition but now I leary.
    I loved mine but hated the $4200 repair bill on issues Mazda USA and the dealers acknowledge are 'known'. I also didn't appreciate Mazda's 'your SOL' attitude. I spent $4200 just to trade it in for a Mercedes GLK (2011).
  • bberkebberke Posts: 26
    So my wife takes the SUV to a paintless dent repair and within an hour the tech states that now the radio , back up, dome light, fob and camera stopped working. WTH. He did say the fob was in his back pocket next to his cell phone, but she has it near the phone all the time.

Is it a code issue and does anyone know the codes if they think it is related to this.