Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda CX-9 Problems

Comments

• gahogsgahogs Posts: 15
    Dealer called back.

I was told the knock we heard was brake booster connects rattling and there has been a release by Mazda on this particular problem. The repair was made. We will pick up the vehicle later today. Hopefully this fixes the problem.

Also, he apologized for the premium gas requirement comment. Evidently he is a new employee and not as familiar with the CX-9. He said a particular model on the CX-7 requires premium gas, and he confused the issue.
  • ewsncewsnc Posts: 14
    After testing several SUV's, CX-9 Touring and GT came out to be on the top. But the reported poor snow performance concerns me since I live in the northeast. Is this an issue related to tires or to the design / engineering of the vehicle? Doesn't anyone know if the 09 models have addressed this issue?
  • cericceric Posts: 1,093
    It is the tires, I can assure you.
    The Mazda's Active Torque-split AWD is better than Highlander/Pilot. It senses torque sudden change and starts to transfer torque to the rear. In contrast, Highlander/Pilot sense torque loss then starts to send torque. In the case of Pilot, it can send torque to the rear in case of hard acceleration (and maybe new Highlander as well, I am not sure). Mazda has that also.
    It is called Power-take-off mode....

Bridgestone Dueler H/L 400 is good summer/wet tire, but not good at all on snow. Calling it all-season is a "crime", in my opinion.
    If you have concerns, have the dealer change out the tires
    I recommend
    Yoko Parada Spec-X
    Check tirerack.com for review.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhbLTGOaDiM

My guess is that Bridgestone Dueler H/L 400 is not on that CX9.
    Put snow tires on CX9 if you live in places like that.
    Follow-up to ENGINE KNOCK (replying to my post on 17 Feb).

We did receive the vehicle back; however, the problem was not fixed. The engine knock is the same as always. The vehicle only has 9,000 miles on it.

As for the noise, it is not a rattling or clanging noise as one may suspect when first hearing the problem may be a brake booster connect. I was suspicious when they said it was a simple brake booster connect problem; however, I did want to give them an opportunity to correct the reported problem. The noise is distinctly engine knock coming from the cylinders (further supported by you only hearing it when accelerating). Again, the same dealership reported another CX-9 was turned in the previous week with the same complaint. I do not expect these would be isolated cases. Engine knock is not good news and can prematurely wear in engine.

We live in a fairly hilly terrain, and the car will exhibit the engine knock going up a hill (particularly when the engine is cold). It will also experience engine knock when you attempt to accelerate in too low of a gear (i.e. transmission is in "5" when it feels like it should be in "4" or even "3"). Again, we have two other vehicles, neither of which has any problem with engine knock regardless if the vehicle is cold or not. Ironically, both of these vehicles have over 100,000 miles on them each (one V6 automatic; the other a 4 cylinder automatic).

Anyone else notice a similar problem?

I will take it back to the dealership to be looked at again.
  • nxs138nxs138 Posts: 481
    We live in Pittsburgh and have had no issues driving in the snow with our 2008 GT. My wife is the main driver, and she feels confident driving it in snow, much more so than her previous car (which was FWD).

I find that the tires are okay, they are probably tuned for performance and thus you give up a bit of winter grip. But we haven't had any issues going up and down the myriad of hills that is Pittsburgh! The AWD system works just as well as the one I had in my Audi, and gets the car moving quickly. The stability control works well in preventing fishtailing in the snow. In comparison, my Mazdaspeed 3 slides all over the place, but this is mostly due to torque steer! The CX-9 is much more stable than the 3.....ah well.
  • Have you tried filling up with premium gas, 92+ octane to see if the knock noise you hear is reduced? If it's truly knocking, then higher octane fuel should reduce/eliminate it. I'm not saying this is the solution, but it may help you pinpoint the problem more.
  • eroc2eroc2 Posts: 4
    Every time I ride on a rough road - there is a crackling noise coming from the drivers side passanger in the vicinity of the post where the air bag is located. Has anyone had this experience
  • I've experienced what I'll call a rattle from the passenger seat area, when there is no passenger in the seat. I found that the metel seat belt clip (the male clip on the belt) was vibrating -rattling against the side of the passenger seat. To further pin point if this was the source, I engaged the seat belt. The rattle stopped. I have not detected any other rattles from this area since, but I've only had the CX9 for a few weeks. I'm still listening and learning all of it's quirks. Another writer spoke of the sloshing sound of the gas in the fuel tank. I've also expericed this sound. For what it's worth, I find issues like these to be minor inconveniences. The CX9 is a fantastic SUV and great value for the features and performance it offers!
  • eroc2eroc2 Posts: 4
    Thanks I will try it
    Yes. I was the seat belt buckle in my case.
    I found that out a while back. Turn the buckle bit to be flat with the seat, and the rattle goes away.
    not_2_shabby:

Thanks for the reply.

I have only filled our CX-9 with 87 octane, which is what is recommended in the owner's manual. Using higher grade octane is a last resort; however, I see your point in using a single tank of 92+ to see if the engine knock is reduced/eliminated to help diagnose the problem.
  • bonan2bonan2 Posts: 3
    gahogs,

I am also experiencing similar symptoms as you describe as engine knock on my 2008 GT CX-9, 10k miles. The knock occurs during acceleration and is particularly noticable when accelerating uphill. This occurs both when the engine is cold and warmed-up so I can't say it is engine temp related. Also, we didn't notice the engine knock when the car had less than 3k miles. This is a recent problem that seems as if it is becoming more noticable. Anyways, I'm going to schedule service and get Mazda's opinion. Any advice? Has your problem been resolved by Mazda since your last post?
  • jeebert2jeebert2 Posts: 5
    I have 17K on my 2008 CX-9 and for the last few thousand miles I hear the engine noise. It is subtle and I have to have the radio off and no other car noise nearby. It sounds like and engine tick or rattle when under load, mostly in the first couple of gears and between about 1500 rpm and 2300 rpm.

I took it to the dealer on Tues. They didn't hear it at first. I had to have a tech ride with me. He heard it. About an hour later they kept it and gave me a loaner CX-9. They say they need to open the engine up and want to call Mazda. They suspect that the timing chain might be off, or something with the timing chain guide.

I'll let you know what they say when I get it back.
  • roperrroperr Posts: 2
    I have the same problem with my 2008 CX9. Only 8k on the clock, and the noise has been happening since day 1. No difference whether the engine is cold or hot, but mainly changing from 3rd to 4th gear. It has been back twice, with no success in fixing it, and it seems to be getting worse. At first they tried to tell me that it was because I had lots of stones in my tyres (PLEASE!!), now they think it is is because I have been using low grade fuel. I have used primarily unleaded, which according to the sales guy, the brochure, the website and the inside of the fuel cap, is meant to be OK. Anyway I have tried premium fuel for nearly 3 weeks and it hasn't made a difference. In fact at times it has been worse. I would love to know if anyone else has a solution because it is driving me crazy!!!
  • rudiorudio Posts: 2
    I have had the same problem with the fan on my 2007 CX9. I have also had the radio not turn on when I start the car. I have to stop the car, turn the car off and then turn it back on. The radio usually turns on again. The last time it happened I tried turning the car off but the radio would still not go on. Any one else had this issue? Could this all be related to an electrical issue?
  • bonan2bonan2 Posts: 3
    jeebert2, did you get your CX-9 back from Mazda? Did they figure out the source of the engine noise? I'm going for service tomorrow.
  • roperrroperr Posts: 2
    Hi, no it hasn't been in yet, they are now waiting for the Mazda engineer to come in from interstate to look at it. Someone has suggested faulty fuel pump in the mean time?? Hopefully it will be booked in sometime next week. Let us know how you go with yours
  • jeebert2jeebert2 Posts: 5
    I just got it back today. They had to order the part. It turned out to be a bad VVT lift actuator. They had to crack open the engine and fix it. They had it 10 days, but gave me another almost identical CX-9 to drive for free. They treated me well. I saw the work order they had to submit to Mazda for the warranty work. It was just over $2K - mostly labor. I picked it up at lunch and drove it back to work and it sounds great now. It appears to be fine.

They did say they had a couple of others with the same issue. If you have that issue, get it in and have it looked at. The place I took it was Kings Mazda in Mason, OH, if you want to have your dealer call them.

Here is the list of parts they replaced:
    Qty PART # Description
    === ========== ==========================
    1 ZZJ1-12-4X0B ACTR, VARIABLE V. TIM
    1 CY01-12-428A BOLT, LOCK
    1 CY01-14-700 COOLER, OIL
    2 CY01-14-312 RING, 'O'
    1 ZZJ1-12-500A ADJUSTER
    1 8527-77-739 SILICONE, TUBE ( GRA

John
    Good to know. Thanks for sharing.
    It seems like the VVT actuator. The rest are just accessories to replace the actuator.