Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda CX-9 Problems

Comments

• felixa7felixa7 Posts: 15
    I'm trying to buy a black on black CX-9. The dealerships have been giving me a real run around. They all claim that they can get a car from a partner dealership, today. But then they say that the car is in the port and should be released within the next 24 hours. They've been saying this now for a few days! What's going on? I've heard rumors about broken seat heater modules that drain the batteries -- the manufacturers are trying to fix the issue at the port. Is this true? How long will the hold last? And have they fixed the problem on the models in stock?

Also, the dealers are quoting me $ 32,600 for a CX-9 GT with moonroof and power liftgate but no nav. Is that a good price?
  • svofan2svofan2 Posts: 440
    The price sounds ok...but I was under the impression that if you get moonroof,and power lift gate you MUST get Navigation....sane with RES (dvd player) the power liftgate and the navi are prt of eith package..with their corresponding prices of course....see Mazda buid site
  • kcm8419kcm8419 Posts: 121
    I just brought my 2008 CX-9 into the dealership on Saturday due to an antifreeze leak. The dealership called me back and told me that it was a freeze plug that went bad. They also said that according to the parts manual they cannot get a freeze plug to replace it. They said that they are going to have to talk to a Mazda engineer to see what can be done with this and call me back. Mind you I live in the SW part of the country so we do not have terribly cold weather. It sounds to me that the freeze plug rusted which would lead me to believe that the problem is with the antifreeze, FL22. This vehicle has just under 11,000 miles on it.
  • I just took my 2008 CX9 in with 19,500 miles for Brake noise. When I go from Reverse to forward or forward to reverse there is a brief clanking noise coming from what sounds like the brakes in the front end . After taking apart the brakes, they told me Mazda said it was normal and there was a bulletin regarding the ABS system and this noise. I asked for a copy of the service note and for a number to call to complain. Why did this noise -which you say is a normal part of the ABS come about after 19,000 miles? This is a BS answer. Otherwise I love the car.
  • k1200k1200 Posts: 40
    Read your post about the noise from the brakes. Perhaps we had or have the same issue. When I am in park , apply the brake then shift into gear the is a very audible "click". especially moving backwards say into my driveway or parking. When I took mine to the dealer they told me it was "Front brake pads shim-kit"
    They said they replaced it.....two days later click, click, click.

:confuse:
  • kcm8419kcm8419 Posts: 121
    I heard from the dealership yesterday and they said that after talking to the Mazda tech line that the problem is a bad water pump and not a freeze plug. Now all that they have to do is drop the engine to replace it.
  • The CX 9 is one of several vehicles that are on my short list of possible buys. With the problems all of you have had with this vehicle. would you buy it again if you had the opportunity?
  • I have had only 1 problem with some brake? noise with 19,500 miles on my car. When I go from forward to reverse or reverse to forward at slow speed there is a (brief) noise. This started a few hundred miles ago. I Love the car and would buy it again, There is no long term reliability data with the CX9 being so new. I can only hope this is the only problem I have. Love the car!
  • jcpharmjcpharm Posts: 92
    only had one minor issue fixed at my first oil change. i would definitely buy again - love my CX-9.
  • cericceric Posts: 1,093
    Compared with the scare of "unintended acceleration" (Toyota, in case you wonder), I would live with small issues like noises and rattles. BTW, I owned mine for two years, 25K miles. I only had a window assembly issue. A couple TSBs fixed. Taken care of at oil change. My wife owns a Prius. We are kind of worried.

Love my CX9. Period. I'm a ex-BMW 540iA owner. :)
  • I have only owned my 2007 CX-9 Touring FWD for 6 months now but have put well over a years worth of miles in it. Bought mine used and now at 62K miles nothing major (knock on wood) just a couple (literally) things I fixed on my own.

I would definately buy another CX-9 except this time I would go with an AWD GT!
  • svofan2svofan2 Posts: 440
    ..your is a good and valid question, I am in the same situation as you and yes the Toyota issue has me worried, i still remember the infamous Audi 1985 unintended acceleration issu that almost took Audi down the proverbial toilet. One thig that you and I as well as other prospective buyers of the Mazda CX9 are overlooking is that the complaints are relative small when compare to amount of sales of units. Also we will never hear anything from the thousands of buyers that are doing very well and are happy about their purchase. Lets know how you do and what you get...good luck.
  • I must be one of those fortunate owners who has never experienced a problem with my '08 CX9 Grand Touring ( knock on wood). I did need to replace the 20 inch Bridgestones at 35,000 miles...it was a disappointment they didn't last longer. However, I agree with the previous postings that, in light of Toyota's recent issues, any little thing that may go wrong on the CX9 are relatively minor in comparison. I average about 20,000 miles a year, combined highway and city. This has been a great, comfortable ride for a family of 5 and a 100 lb dog.

I would buy one again ( if I had to) in a heartbeat.
  • Thanks, everyone, for you responses to my question. Right now I own a Mazda3 that has been a wonderful little car, but we own 2 large dogs and I am thinking of getting something more suitable for toting them with us. I have a short list of vehicles I am considering - the CX9, Subaru Outback, and the Honda Odyssey are the main ones.

I crossed Toyotas off my list due to the recent bad news.
    Odyssey, like most Honda, has weak braking.
    Also, pay attention to the road noise to see if you can live with that.
    W/o active noise canceling, the Odyssey is on the noisy side.
    CX9 does not have both issues, strong brake and very quiet for its class.

Don't know about Outback enough to comment on it.
  • "rear blower a/c- heat come on full blast when ignition it turned off, and can run up to 5 minutes....(TSB 07-008/09) "

Yesterday, everytime I shut off the engine, the A/C (front) would go on full blast. I don't know how long it stayed on as I locked the door and went on. But it happened continuously. This did happen one other time but not like yesterday. It was a nice Florida day and I had the windows open most of the time. I see that there was a TSB issued for the rear heat doing this...would my issue be under the same TSB or is there another one? I do plan to go to the dealership but want to go in informed so they can't brush it off as something intermittent. ;)

Thanks for any information that can be provided!!
  • TSB applies to both front and rear blowers, they both have the exact same faulty relay (black). If dealer does not want to cover it, then just buy two relays (one for front and one for rear blower) and install them yourself. They are very affordable and easy to install. The updated relays are light blue in color.

Part number #G115-67-730

Hope this helps!
  • Yes, your reply has helped a lot!! Thank you so much!! But, I do have another question.....

I gather the relays can be purchased at any auto supply store or are they OEM to Mazda. Also, are they located in the fuse box ? You said it was "easy" so to me, that would be an easy fix!! :blush:

Thanks again for your help!!
  • I am not 100% sure you can buy the relays at your local parts store, it may be possible, but I would just rather go to the dealer part dept. and install the ones that the TSB mentions because its obvious that Mazda already did its research and found the correct load and relay to fix the hanging up of the old relay.

If you open up your hood, you will see two black boxes located on the driver side towards the firewall of the engine bay. The larger box is a fuse box, the smaller slim box is the relay box. Open up the relay box and look underneath the lid to locate the relays for the blowers. They are clearly identified "FR" and "RR" pull the old black relays out and install the new light blue (Mazda OEM) ones, close the lid and VOILA!
  • Again, I thank you for your quick response and instructions. I'm pretty sure I can handle it..hopefully without breaking any nails!!!

I shall report back and let you know how the relay replacement surgery goes!! ;)
  • Hey...there are many great things in life and one of them for me is seeing a girl get her nails a little dirty fixing her car...go at it horseygirl you'll be alright!!
  • If I have two car seats fastened with seatbelts in the second row, is there any way for adults to get into the third row? I can't push the second row all the way forward because of the seat belt.
  • i use two carseats (one infant carseat and one booster seat with a back) and it cannot be done. if you leave your 3rd row seats up and you use seatbelts, perhaps you can place the older child's carseat in the 3rd row? not sure, since i've only done this with my booster seat and only when i put the 3rd row seat up (which is only when i have extra people to take around).
  • Read in this thread (and many others) that the silver trim was faulty in 2007 and 2008 (at the least). Also that there was a TSB on it. We looked at 2 2008 Grand Tourings, one was nicked up pretty good, and the other was SCRATCHED TO HELL! I mean, these are 1.5-2 year old cars. A couple of questions:

1) Did the TSB solve the problem for good? Or did the silver still get all nicked up.

2) Do the 2009 or 2010 grand tourings still have silver trim that gets nicked and scratched?

Thanks alot for any info, shopping all years and trying to decide if we should go new or used.
    I have a 2008. The silver trim pieces were replaced on my request.
    The old ones can peel off very easily (with finger nails).
    The problem was that a special coating was missed in the manufacturing process by the supplier. The new ones hold up much better, but don't expect it to be scratch-proof against metal objects... Mine are still scratch-free so far.

Some 2010 lower end models don't have silver painted trim pieces. Instead, pure plsatic pieces are their places. Can't say I like that better.
  • I am having the same issue as you and some other people as far as the brake noise. I took it to the dealer and they told me that it was normal system noise. It is so load sometimes that I can hear it with the windows up and the radio on. It also feels to me that I can feel it in the brake peddle when it happens. Have you found any solution for this issue. I also ended up getting up very, very early to meet a mechanic and take it for a test drive only for him to tell me the same thing. Total BS because besides this issue I love the car.
  • mk_reefmk_reef Posts: 2
    "I have a short list of vehicles I am considering - the CX9, Subaru Outback, and the Honda Odyssey are the main ones."

I traded in my '05 Odyssey EX-L for a '10 CX-9 GT AWD.

Odyssey handles well for a minivan, but really comes down to huge cargo space for hauling people or stuff. Removing the 2nd row seats and you get full 4' x 8' sheets of drywall/plywood on the floor laying flat.

If you need that kind of space, you have to go with it. We only used that kind of space once or twice a year, so we went with the smaller CX-9.
  • doggrandmadoggrandma Posts: 144
    BTW, a site has compiled a list of vehicles that have registered unintended accelration complaints, and there are no Mazdas on their list. Now, that just could mean no one has registered this type of complaint about a Mazda, but it is nice to see.
    edited March 2010
    "a site"? Why not check the federal data base?
    http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/complaints/index.cfm

I counted only about 5 complaints on '08-'10 CX9 (notes: some are duplicated), and more than 40 for '08-'10 Highlanders (for example). Of course, one can argue that Toyota has sold about 3-4X more Highlander than Mazda did CX9, so, your own judgement is required here.

BTW, most of the complaints on CX9 have corresponding TSBs, and have mostly, if not all, been addressed properly. Yes, no unintended acceleration :)
  • doggrandmadoggrandma Posts: 144
    Sorry, I couldn't think of the name of the site when I was posting my comment.
    I suffer from OBS (Old Brain Syndrome). ;)

The site is thetruthaboutcars.com and I got the link from a post here on the forum "Toyota on the Mend for 2010?".

Thanks for the link.