Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda CR-V Noises and Sounds

Comments

• i have a 2002 model and mine does the same wen im going to do a hard turn at low speed, i took it to honda and they said the diff needed to be greased again
    but i havnt gotten it done yet but i have traveled 100k klm with the noise still there but its ok its safe to drive :
  • blueiedgodblueiedgod Posts: 2,803
    i have a 2002 model and mine does the same wen im going to do a hard turn at low speed, i took it to honda and they said the diff needed to be greased again
    but i havnt gotten it done yet but i have traveled 100k klm with the noise still there but its ok its safe to drive :

If you are driving aorund with the differential making noise and you don't replace the fluid you are basically asking for a new differential.

Fluid replacement: $10 -$80 (depending if you DIY or dealer)
    Differential replacement: $500 - $1000.

Which would you prefer?
  • I have a 2006 CRV CTDi Diesel. I get a very low sounding machine gun type noise for a few seconds when the engine is cold and I am changing from 2nd to 3rd gear before reaching 2500/3000 rpm. I don't get the noise all the time and definitely not when the engine is warm. I have contacted Honda and was told the noise is a characteristic of the car. Do you have any views on this?
  • if the first sound is a grinding sound you may want to check the bearings, they kinda sound that way when they are starting to go. hope this helps.
  • normal in most vehicles not just suv, merely needs a balance of air in and out per speed.
  • cjz7cjz7 Posts: 5
    I have a 2005 CRV that is making a noise - only when the outside temperature is above 70 and only at speeds of 65 mph (highway.) Doesn't matter if A/C is on or off. It is intermittent, not continuous. It kind of sounds kind of like a "muffled kazoo" noise. It's coming from somewhere in the front, not sure if it's under the hood or somewhere in the "ventilation"?? It started last fall on a few warm days, NEVER heard it all winter, and now that the NW Ohio temps are rising, I'm hearing it again on warm afternoons on the highway???? Any ideas?
  • georgew1georgew1 Posts: 28
    This is just a thought but I had something similar last year on my 2004 CR-V
    I found a leaf stuck in the plastic grate where the water drains around the windshield wipers. The leaf would viberate in the wind at certain speeds and sounded like a high pitch buzz. If you open the hood and look around the firewall area for any debris in or around the black plastic grate near the wipers you might fine something stuck that is causing your problelm. Good luck.
    George in IL.
  • cjz7cjz7 Posts: 5
    Thanks..I will check that out. Think it would only do it in warm weather?
  • glawlessglawless Posts: 2
    I have a 2008 crv 2wheel drive. I am hearing a rubbing noise when I make a sight left hand or sometimes a right turn.Its sounds light a dry rub to me. Car has 32,000 miles on it.I am taking in to see the dealer.
  • markayo1markayo1 Posts: 23
    I have 1 2009 CRV 2WD that also makes that dry rubbing noise when I back up and also at times when I turn. The dealership kind of blew me off, said they could not reproduce the noise. Then said it was normal. WHAT IS THAT NOISE ?
  • sjthomassjthomas Posts: 61
    edited July 2010
    I see a lot of grinding noise coming from the rear of my 2005 CR-V even at low speeds. I observe this noise when the car moves irrespective of it' speed. At higher speeds its troublesome.

I took it to the mechanic and he replaced the rear differential fluid. This didn't help the grinding noise to go away. It's still there. The tires have about 50K on them now and they are the stock bridgestones when I bought it 5 years ago.

Not sure if this is tread wear or alignment problem or any other suspension issue. Any ideas?
    Thanks in advance.
    I see a lot of grinding noise coming from the rear of my 2005 CR-V even at low speeds. I observe this noise when the car moves irrespective of it' speed. At higher speeds its troublesome.

I took it to the mechanic and he replaced the rear differential fluid. This didn't help the grinding noise to go away. It's still there. The tires have about 50K on them now and they are the stock bridgestones when I bought it 5 years ago.

Not sure if this is tread wear or alignment problem or any other suspension issue. Any ideas?
    Thanks in advance.

If you live anywhere where there is snow, you need to clean brake caliper sliding pins after snowey season and lubricate with Molykote-77, as per Honda.

Even if you don't live where it snows, it is probably a good idea to service your brakes at least once a year.

Chances are that one of you rear caliper sliding pins is stuck due to lack of lubrication and probably have siezed by now, wearing the brake pad down to metal, and digging into the rotor.

If you are lucky, rotor may be resurfaced, and just replacement pin. In the worst case scenario, you will need to replace the rotor, caliper, braket, pins, and new brake pads.

Good luck.
  • motoguy128motoguy128 Posts: 146
    Most tires with 5 years and 50k miles on them are probably due for replacement. The rubber gets harder with time and can eventually start wearing unevenely or even chuncking.

Most OEM tires are ready for repalcement after 20k-30k miles if you live in an area with a lots of snow and need traction. I'll probably replace mine at around 20k.

With less trea the car also hydroplanes early as well and harder rubber has a lot less traction in colder weather.

Better to replace early than get into an accident.
  • sjthomassjthomas Posts: 61
    My 2005 CR-V EX AWD has the same issue of ringing noise occasionally coming up when giving gas.

It is the heat sink shield that becomes looooose. My mechanic fixes it and it comes back after some time. One of my friend's acura TL had the same problem.

He just had to screw it in so that it doesn't vibrate anymore....At least that is what my friend did to his TL.

HTH. Next time when you go to a mechanic ask him to check the heat shield.
  • i have a 2008 crv, 37k and have the same noise when turning.
    went to the dealer, they advised to flush rear diff.i went to my mechanic, he didn't think that was necessary and noticed low level in power steering fluid, he filled it up and i pump up my tyres - were a bit low and this has improved a bit.
  • Someone who knows next to nothing about cars needs help. I am hearing a rubbing/grinding noise from the right wheel tire area whenever I make a left turn. Any thoughts?
    Someone who knows next to nothing about cars needs help. I am hearing a rubbing/grinding noise from the right wheel tire area whenever I make a left turn. Any thoughts?

Is it front or rear right wheel?

Can you look under/behind the wheel and see if something is stuck there. I have seen people driving with orange cones stuck in wheel wells.
  • Thanks for responding. It is the right rear tire and as far as I can see there is nothing stuck up there.
    Thanks for responding. It is the right rear tire and as far as I can see there is nothing stuck up there.

There could be a few culprits.

1) When was rear differential fluid changed, and with what? You can only use Honda DPF, DPF II, or Showa Dual Pump Fluid in there. Since Showa does not sell retail in the US, Honda DPF/DPF II are your only choices.

2) When were brakes serviced? Honda recommends at least once a year brake cleaning to prevent the sliding calipers from binding. If you live in a snow/rust belt, then I would do this twice a year. In the spring after the last snow fall, and in the fall before winter sets. Honda recommends using Molukote-77 as lubricant.
  • I will check these possibilities out. I appreciate your insight. Thanks alot!