Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mitsubishi Lancer 2008 Paint Chips

Comments

• ctrygirl66ctrygirl66 Posts: 8
    I read over the dispute resolution from Mitsubishi and It pretty much says that they wont even look at if it it has anything to do with the design of the car. So its going to have to be worded about the paint job. Thanks for the info on the weak body. They should of put a rock guard on it. I just traded my Endevor and it had rock guard on it. Why not the lancer?? My son has a 95 eclipse and dont have paint problems. Their just getting chep with everything they make now. Pretty depressing if nothing gets done about it. The value of the car just keeps going down.
  • blu5092blu5092 Posts: 3
    This car was an attempt by Mitsu to get back into the market in a hurry. I think there wasn't much emphasis on the quality. There are some impressive toys in the vehicle like the Mitsu communication control/Nav and the 650W Rockford sys. These alone are worth lots. In my opinion however, they should have spent the money on the body. This car sits on a Dodge Caliber chassis, totally not it's own. While it is tighter than most sedans, I would have preferred that Mitsu come up with their own. It helps :mad: not be associated with another manufacturer. That explains why it's value is dropping. To explain how cheaply this car is made, I just had my windows tinted and it is ruined. The inside weather strip is made of plastic and has no felt, so it scratched my tint up and down both the passenger and driver sides.. I am taking it to the dealership and they will have to pay for my tint. I am not about to ruin a $180 tint job.
  • broonsbybroonsby Posts: 13
    I have 1 small chip from a truck throwing a stone. Can't complain as most cars get this. BUT, if what you say is true, then I'll have to be proactive up here in Maine. Anyone one know how well Liquid Glass works for things like this? I've heard this stuff is good, but those are mostly rumors.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,663
    but it sounds interesting and something I would like to know more about. Do fill us in if you find out more, OK?

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

• mbcowboymbcowboy Posts: 7
    I would get paint chips right behind the back door on the edge where the door is and it flares out to the back tire. my vehicle is 98 % highway or city driving and still get paint chips. My dealership is covering the repairs for free. They are touching up the paint and putting strips of gravel guard on the car. Im happy with this..
  • j_fifer_919j_fifer_919 Posts: 12
    May I ask what dealership you went through. It seems that everyone else has had their dealership tell them it is not a warranty issue. My dealer in Eugene, OR gave me a $2000 bill.
  • naybeahmnaybeahm Posts: 2
    :( I am sooooo glad to discover I am not the only person having trouble w/ paint chips in front of the rear tires and around the back doors of my 08 Lancer. My car is Electric Blue and all the chips and discoloration in those areas is very obvious. I took it to my dealer, where the service manager took pics and said he would have to talk to the Mitsu rep about it but from what I am reading it's not looking good. I don't drive on dirt roads and I have been making the same commute to work for over 5 years. I had a Hyundai Sonata and a Civic SI before the Lancer and never had this problem with either car. My dealer used the excuse that the body is shaped differently so that is what is causing it. I didn't pay over $20,000 for this vehicle for it to start looking like crap 6 months after buying it!!!!
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,663
    I think what is helping us not get more paint chips is our 'Auto Butler' service. We bought it at the time of purchase from our dealer. It's cost was $400. It is a coating that is applied by the dealer every 6 months, for 5 years. I have two very small paint chips by the driver's side rear door. I have a tough-up stick that I bought for $9.95 from the dealer, in Rally Red color. I still have to touch up those two spots.

But my point is that I am not getting more paint chips and my wife and I have had two 'Auto Butler' treatments applied so far. They appear to be helping quite a bit.

2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS

• mbcowboymbcowboy Posts: 7
    I had it done in Winnipeg, at Waverly Mitsubishi. I first contacted the company and they said to contact the dealership, who took picutures and sent them to their headoffice. My chips were only small ones at the edge of the metal where it sticks out slightly at the door. They touch painted and put stips of 3M coating 3/4 of the way up the tire wall and 4 inches into the back door and covering the edge that the door doesnt cover. They were good to me so far.
  • Hey guys, im new to the site and i see that alot of you are having problems with your paint. I have a blue 2008 lancer gts and by the rear wheels i have what looks to be sandblasting. I contacted 2 different dealerships and both have not only given poor customer service and both didnt do anything to help me. Ive been told to contact the state attorney general to help with the situation, because mitsubishi will not touch any paint defects and it says that the paint is not covered. Ive had the car for less then a year and they wont cover the paint, and atop of that, the low pro dunlop tires that come with the car are trash. Barely lasted 15,000 miles. If anybody has had the same paint problems thou please respond back that way if we find enough people with the same problem hopefully mitsubishi will cover this problem, because i dont think anyone wants to pay 4000 for a new paint job on their new car
  • Have you called Mitsubishi yet? you need to do so if you havent. The more people that call they will eventually have to do something. The Attorney general and BBB do not associate with MItsubishi. This is what I've found out anyway. Unless someone has had better luck. I'm still fighting with the dealership to do something. They agree that something needs to be done but there not doing anything to help. I have recently also had issues with it not starting sometimes. Anyone else had this problem. The dealer told me the injectors needed to be sprayed. What a joke!!
  • packheatpackheat Posts: 5
    I've also noticed paint chips and I have an '09 Lancer (barely 1000 miles). I made an appointment with my dealer and they said they'll take care of it but I have a feeling it's just going to continue to happen. I'm going to apply a car polish soon and see if that helps. Ctrygirl66, I'm glad you mentioned the engine starting problem because that happens to me every once in a while. I drove my last car 10 years and not once did I have a problem starting it. I've had my Lancer for 2 months and have experienced starter problems a handful of times...Greaaat.
  • I still havent gotten my paint fixed and it just keeps getting worse. My husband was recently at a car show in Maryland and there was a guy there with a Lancer that had rock guard on the back doors right where mine is chipping. He said that it come like that. I thought maybe Mitsubishi was getting smart but I guess not if Packheat is having the problem with a 09. Anyone else have any luck yet getting anywhere. Oh ya...when I turn on my AC there is a clunk noise now. I intended on keeping this car awhile. Not now.
  • mssurreymssurrey Posts: 48
    Thanks for the heads up.
    !I'm sorry to hear all you guys and gals having problems with the new Lancer. I was going to buy one but considering that i'm buying a first car for my son, the last thing i want are such issues. After hearing all your reports, I think I'm going to stick with the Mazda 3 instead !
  • naybeahmnaybeahm Posts: 2
    I am taking my car to the dealership on Monday to have the sides repainted and covered with rock guard. The only thing I was required to do was purchase mudguards and have them installed....which I was happy to do considering it's like $100 for that and it will protect my new paint. As far as anyone else who is experiencing this problem, just be patient and stay on top of the service manager at your dealership. I am extremely happy that Mitsu is offering to do this and will of course update everyone of how the car looks next week with fresh paint! :)
  • Can you tell me which dealership is fixing your car? A phone number would be great. Thanks.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    No posted phone numbers, please. To exchange this kind of information, you can make your email address public in your profile and ask the member to email it to you.

Thanks!
  • Good for you at least someone got somewhere. Im still fighting them. Did Mitsubishi ok it. or is the dealship doing it? My car is red and now looks white all over my back door and in front of my rear tires. I would gladly get mud guards if they would repaint it. They told me they didnt make them that they would have to customize them. Good luck with the new look.
  • The dealership where I got my car called Mitsu yesterday and again said they would not repaint my car. So the dealship is going to pay for it. I wont buy another Mitsu again but I will buy from the same dealship seeing they went good on it. Good luck to everyone else
  • andisaandisa Posts: 3
    I have the same problem with my 08 Lancer. Paint is chipping off every where,doors,hood,trunk you name it. Mitsubishi Head Quarters say they can't help me because it's rock chips. The dealer tried their best with no results so I have our Maine Attorney General looking into it.