Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mitsubishi Lancer 2008 Paint Chips

Comments

• Have you called Mitsubishi yet? you need to do so if you havent. The more people that call they will eventually have to do something. The Attorney general and BBB do not associate with MItsubishi. This is what I've found out anyway. Unless someone has had better luck. I'm still fighting with the dealership to do something. They agree that something needs to be done but there not doing anything to help. I have recently also had issues with it not starting sometimes. Anyone else had this problem. The dealer told me the injectors needed to be sprayed. What a joke!!
  • packheatpackheat Posts: 5
    I've also noticed paint chips and I have an '09 Lancer (barely 1000 miles). I made an appointment with my dealer and they said they'll take care of it but I have a feeling it's just going to continue to happen. I'm going to apply a car polish soon and see if that helps. Ctrygirl66, I'm glad you mentioned the engine starting problem because that happens to me every once in a while. I drove my last car 10 years and not once did I have a problem starting it. I've had my Lancer for 2 months and have experienced starter problems a handful of times...Greaaat.
  • I still havent gotten my paint fixed and it just keeps getting worse. My husband was recently at a car show in Maryland and there was a guy there with a Lancer that had rock guard on the back doors right where mine is chipping. He said that it come like that. I thought maybe Mitsubishi was getting smart but I guess not if Packheat is having the problem with a 09. Anyone else have any luck yet getting anywhere. Oh ya...when I turn on my AC there is a clunk noise now. I intended on keeping this car awhile. Not now.
  • mssurreymssurrey Posts: 48
    Thanks for the heads up.
    !I'm sorry to hear all you guys and gals having problems with the new Lancer. I was going to buy one but considering that i'm buying a first car for my son, the last thing i want are such issues. After hearing all your reports, I think I'm going to stick with the Mazda 3 instead !
  • naybeahmnaybeahm Posts: 2
    I am taking my car to the dealership on Monday to have the sides repainted and covered with rock guard. The only thing I was required to do was purchase mudguards and have them installed....which I was happy to do considering it's like $100 for that and it will protect my new paint. As far as anyone else who is experiencing this problem, just be patient and stay on top of the service manager at your dealership. I am extremely happy that Mitsu is offering to do this and will of course update everyone of how the car looks next week with fresh paint! :)
  • Can you tell me which dealership is fixing your car? A phone number would be great. Thanks.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    No posted phone numbers, please. To exchange this kind of information, you can make your email address public in your profile and ask the member to email it to you.

Thanks!
  • Good for you at least someone got somewhere. Im still fighting them. Did Mitsubishi ok it. or is the dealship doing it? My car is red and now looks white all over my back door and in front of my rear tires. I would gladly get mud guards if they would repaint it. They told me they didnt make them that they would have to customize them. Good luck with the new look.
  • The dealership where I got my car called Mitsu yesterday and again said they would not repaint my car. So the dealship is going to pay for it. I wont buy another Mitsu again but I will buy from the same dealship seeing they went good on it. Good luck to everyone else
  • andisaandisa Posts: 3
    I have the same problem with my 08 Lancer. Paint is chipping off every where,doors,hood,trunk you name it. Mitsubishi Head Quarters say they can't help me because it's rock chips. The dealer tried their best with no results so I have our Maine Attorney General looking into it.
  • WELL.....The dealership paid to have my Lancer repainted. Although they did a horriable job. The color matches great. But they missed spots were the doors meet and they over sprayed so there are places where the paint looks rippled. There are scrathes on it that werent there. They told me I couldnt prove it. I've bought 4 cars from this dealership and it will be my last!! It would be nice if Mitsubishi did a recall.
  • Glad to hear we're not the only ones with this issue. We leased a White 2008 Lancer GTS in October of 2007 for my wife. She loves the car, except for the paint. After a few thousand miles we noticed some paint was flaking and chipping on the fender flare in front of the rear tires. It got worse so we took it to the dealership at about 8000 miles to have it looked at. They took pictures and sent them into Mitsu for warranty approval. Long story short it took forever for them to get back to us. We took the car in a couple weeks ago, now with 12000 miles to follow up. We called today and we got the same story, not a paint issue, its from the road and there is nothing they can do. The paint on the leading edge of the hood is now doing the same thing. I called Mitsubishi and opened a claim today and they said they will get back to me by end of business tomorrow. I'm sure I will get the same song and dance as so many of you others have.

My Ford F-150 truck has a protective coating on the fender flairs to keep this from happening on it. It sees much worse driving conditions and after 37,000 miles the paint is pristine.

Why cant' they offer a simple solution such as touching up the paint and putting protective stripping on? Lack of a simple fix will cost Mitsubishi this repeat customer.

If they fail to fix it, as other have recommended I will buy some touch up paint and put some Rally Armor mud flaps on it.
  • Took my 2006 F-150 in a few days ago for service and to have them investigate a potential exhaust leak and the passenger side window that had degraded weather stripping and was going up real slow.

The dealership called later that day and said exhaust manifold studs were broken and was a known issue with certain motor / exhaust manifold combinations. Said they would warrenty it but had to order the parts so it would not be done the same day. They also quoted me over $400 for the passenger side weather stripping and a new drive motor since it was smoked from binding on the weather stripping. I declined having them fix that, I just won't put the window down. Note that my 36,000 mile bumper to bumper warrenty has expired by almost a thousand miles.

The dealership called me each day to let me know status since it was taking longer than they thought.

I just got off with the phone them and it is all done. Oh, by the way, the service representative tells me that he pulled some strings and they covered the passenger side window and its all fixed.

I wonder if Ford will take my wife's Lancer (see above post) in on trade?
  • in the front and the rear end-to where you see some cracking in the paint (splicing).However, it has been in the body shop for repairs after a car accident so I'm not sure where the problem lies....a) manufaturing or b) poor repairs to the body. I am calling the 800 # listed in a response below and reporting the problem regardless as it is obvious (by reading this page that it is a common problem). They may recall it if enough people complain. Any thoughts,comments or suggestions are welcome.

-cynthia
  • I'm REALLY PISSED about the design flaw in the new Lancer's too. I have an 2008 Lancer GTS that I bought 6 months ago and the rear door, dogleg on the quarter panel, and the end of the rocker molding all look like theyve been sand blasted! I can also relate to the window tint problem also, I have deep scratches in my passenger and drivers side tint. Im going to make a video about the problem in the morning, hopefully it will help spread the word and get Mitsubishi to do something about it!

Oh yea, dont buy any mud flaps for the car either, they dont work. I bought some Rally Armor mud flaps and they havent done anything to help the problem.

I took my Lancer on Route 22 in Blairsville, PA (they put Cinders (Rocks) on the ground here instead of salt) and I was driving in a straight line and I had my drivers mirror pointed towards the problem area, you can actually see the rocks hit that area!

I'll post the video link on here tomorrow, make sure to spread it around!
  • slider12slider12 Posts: 15
    I'm glad that I found this site. I was treated like I had the plague by my dealer when I brought my 09 Lancer in with paint chipping and erosion in front of the rear wheels. They actually had the stones to look me straight in the eyes and tell me this is an isolated issue. I'll give it a little time, but based on what I've read here, and they're attitude I have a feeling I'm screwed. I live in the northeast and this section of the body will be a mess within 3 winters EASY. I'm not quite sure what I'll do if I don't get satisfaction. I will definitely file a complaint with the Attorney General and w/ the BBB, and I might even consider a class action lawsuit, a party to which you all will be welcomed. Even if they paint it, it will just happen the next winter. There needs to be a protective part added. I noticed that the upgrade model has a plastic rocker panel trim piece. yes, it's for style, but I can see how it would solve this issue. I asked if they were available and was looked at like I was from another planet. Anyways, I traded in my 02 Lancer w/ 120,000 care free miles on it. Now I'm wishing I kept it.
    oh, and front mud flaps will do nothing IMO. Stones are "popped" up from where the tire meets the road. Unless the flap was almost touching the ground I can't see what good it would do.
    FWIW...I just called a local auto paint shop to get some alternatives to this problem. They sell a Mylar product (clear) that is self adhesive and comes in 12' x 6" rolls and can be applied to rocker panels or wherever for stone damage protection. I know it won't look great, but I'm going to apply some to the flared problem area as a stop gap. I'm still ticked about this whole thing, but lately I've come to realize that customer service and backing up a product is a thing of the past. When it hits the fan, one has to fix things on their own.

My buddies Acura flares out like my Lancer and the paint is still there after many seasons. Bad paint...cheap, fun and good looking....hmmm just like the A6M. Is there a pattern here with this company?
  • yvettecyvettec Posts: 16
    We purchased an 08 Lancer EVO. Spent $37,000. Worst purchase EVER out of 28 cars we have bought! Paint chipping everywhere. We live in the Chicago area and completely agree that by next season out car will look like total crap! We just brought the car to the dealer today and I also phoned Mitsubishi direct. Since this is the third issue with the BRAND NEW CAR THAT HAS UNDER 3,000 MILES ON IT, they put it under "Lemon Law". We all need to get together on a class action, period!
    If I paid that much money and had this problem I would be insane. I've got the granny version of this car. I just wanted reliability and mileage, like my old Lancer. I thought the rocker panel trim pieces might help with this problem, but apparently not.
    We are going insane! And the people at Mitsubishi ask you on the phone "Well, what would you like to happen here?". I told them I want this piece of crap out of my garage and I want my car back that I traded in on their POS! I have already contacted an attorney and they are very interested in what the manufacturer does for us. If the matter is not handled I assure you there will be recourse. It is so disappointing to see a foreign car manufacturer not taking this matter seriously, especially with the current status of American car manufacturers. I was shocked to see all of these posts.
    I'm starting to feel the same way. Who the heck want's a new car that's already had to be re painted, a paint job I add that will more than likely be the same crappy paint as the first one, then can you imagine having to take it back a second time....a third time? I can understand if the car was in an accident and needed paint work, but it's never the same no matter how good of a job they do. I really regret this purchase. I'm getting info on class action lawsuits. The most difficult part as I see it, is getting the info out to owners of this car.
    My attorney told me to wait and see what they decide on. Mitsushitty has until the close of business today for the "caseworker" to call me. My husband just picked up the car yesterday from the dealer (again). He was livid because they washed it and it looks like they used a brillo pad! There are swirl marks all over it. We will not settle for a re-paint because of everything you just stated above, and why should we? The dealership just nods and says "uh huh" agreeing with everything we say. I am so sure they have seen this many times before! I am sick to my stomach just thinking about it. Oh, and the attorney I am working with ONLY does Class action lawsuits!
    ...well if you go the class action way...I'm in for a penny, in for a pound!
    "Granny" car or not (in my case) , we do not deserve this!
  • I've been through all of this with my 08 Lancer. The dealership will do nothing. Mitsubishi will do nothing. I tried to use Mitsubishi's dispute resolution process and got nothing. They stated it has to be a warranty issue to use the resolution process. I even got in touch with the design engineer and he said road hazards are a problem (yours not ours). We have all been ripped off by this company. I spoke with an attorney and he told me we could win a case and get the car repainted. But that's it. Another crappy paint job and I would have to pay attorney fees. I just gave up and put rally armor mud flaps on along with a clear rock chip preventing material. The only option left is a class action lawsuit. I'm willing to bet that every one of the thousands of Lancer owners across the US will sign up for this. 25 grand well spent huh?
    We spent $37,000 on our EVO! I will NOT sit idly by and be ripped off! A $37,000 should not have paint problems! I have a turbo Subaru that is two years old with ONE paint chip. And my car is very fast too! There are no excuses for the manufacturers lack of care while designing the aesthetics of the vehicle. Would you believe that my dealership verbally told me that Mitsubishi did a "lighter" paint coat in the design of the vehicle? That is a crock of Sh*t! Skimping on the paint to lighten the load! We all seriously need to get together and DO SOMETHING! This is a WARRANTY ISSUE! My car has seen rain ONCE! Garage kept in a heated garage! Everyone around me drives in the SAME conditions and does not have this problem!
    Hey fifer 919....I checked out those Rally Armor flaps. Their website doesn't have the best pics in the world. A question...are those flaps contoured to conform to the fender or are they just flat sheets? I HATE mud flaps, the way they look and most of all... where I live they salt the daylights out of the roads in the winter Drilling several holes to mount one of those in that area of the car is a very bad idea. I realize in this situation installing them is probably the lesser of two evils.

On the "class action" thing I want to add that the dealers who sell these cars should also be included in any legal action. I am tired of buying a product from a dealer who gladly takes my money, and then when there's a problem, I'm forced to deal with the manufacturer on my own as they shrug their shoulders and blow me off. That my friends is just WRONG. I went through this years ago with an RV I bought. Eventually it came down to fighting their army of attorneys vs. just dumping the POS and taking a loss. Considering what my attorney fees would've been I traded it in and took it in the posterior. So yeah, I think these dealerships who are selling this faulty product, then treating their customers like idiots should feel a little pain on this one too.
    Thought you guys would appreciate this one. A direct quotation taken from ABC 7 News from a story they did on Mitsu paint issues in 06. This is Dan Irvin, Director of Corporate Communications & Public Relations:

"That said, we appreciate the support and patronage of these customers. And we stand behind our products by offering an extensive warranty: three years or 36,000 miles until 2004, and since then five years or 60,000 miles. That is our position at its most basic: If a customer has a paint issue while the warranty is in effect on their vehicle, it's covered.
    "Mitsubishi also runs a Customer Relations Department using a toll free number so customers can reach us to discuss vehicle issues. 888-MITSU2006, or 888-648-7820. Customers whose vehicles are no longer in the warranty period should call Customer Relations, who will discuss the issue with the customer, where appropriate arrange for the vehicle to be inspected, and will then discuss our findings.
    "We may determine, based upon the inspection and history of care and service of the vehicle that it is appropriate for us to extend some support to a customer whose vehicle is out of warranty. Many factors can affect the life of the paint on a vehicle that are unrelated to a paint quality issue. All of these factors play a role in how long the paint will last. These factors include, but are not limited to:

So it's a case-by-case determination if the vehicle is out of warranty. But within the warranty, there's no question that a paint issue would be covered.
  • paintchippaintchip Posts: 10
    I have an 08 Lancer GTS that I bought new and within 5 months of ownership the side skirts and rear doors looked like someone took a sand blaster to them. I could understand rock chips on the hood...but the sides of the car? I live in the city but you'd think I drove it sideways down a gravel road everyday.

I took it to the dealer who totally agreed with me that this was a problem with the cars design and paint and that the manufacturer should fix the problem. The fix would involve repainting the sides of the car and installing deflectors on the front wheel wells. Cost would be about $300.

The dealer called Mitsubeshity who basically told me to go **** myself and that if I wanted it fixed I'd have to pay for it out of my pocket. Their reasoning? I was "driving it on roads it wasn't designed for." I live in a rather clean city with pretty decent roads and it's never even been driven through grass let alone gravel. Just what kind of roads was it designed for?

Maybe I'm being unreasonable to think that I shouldn't be having to repaint a new car that's never been wrecked and is garage kept.

I would love to see a class action suit brought against Mistubeshity about this crap they call paint on their cars and I would sign up at the drop of a hat.