Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Tiburon Engine Questions

2004 Hyundai Tiburon

It looks like a 4, but I am told it is a V6. I have only the photos to go by, so it's hard to tell. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks.

http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/404/feb0820048ck3.jpg

http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/654/feb0820049mg9.jpg

Comments

• I have a 2003 Tiburon. No GT and standard transmission. I have 95,000 miles on it. No major problems (yet) except for the #3 and 4 settings on my A/C going out a couple times....which were fixed.

My question(s) is I have yet to have my timing belt changed. From what I am told is that it's not covered under the warranty. Is it bad that I havent had it changed yet? How much longer do I have? Should I get it changed at the dealership? They quoted me $600 to change it, or should I go to a smaller mechanic? What is an average cost to have this done? The large majority of my miles are highway. I drive 85 miles/day to work...75 of which are highway. What would happen if the belt snapped?? Someone told me that if the timing belt snaps on Korean cars than the engine will no longer run, ever.

Please help me with this. I dont make a ton of money and cant afford a new car...at the same time $600 for a new timing belt is extremely steep as well. Any and all advice will help. Thanks!!!
  • whomever told you that if the belt snaps your engine wont run again should be shot, if your timing belt snaps there is a small posssibility of it hitting minor functioning pieces of the engine. but what will happen when it breaks is your engine will shutdown you will lose all functions throughout the vehicle other than your stereo which will stay with you for a while until your battery is depleted of its power. now dont pay 600$'s for your timing belt to be changed out i work at a small mechanincs and you would be charged about 25$'S for the belt and about 100$'s for the service

dont be fool search around for the best price and quality of product, 600$'s is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy to much

adios
  • I have an 03 gtv6 5 spd, with 64000 miles, you are supposed to change your timing belt and tensioner and water pump at your 60000 mile check-up, there is a korean company called seoulful racing that sells a timing belt package for around 300 bucks for the 2.7L and about 200 for 2.0L

A set contains of Timing Belt,Tension Assembly,Idle Pulley,Water Pump Assembly,Water Pump Gasket,Power Steering Belt,Water Pump Belt, and A/C Belt

I suggest doing it all at once if you are doing it at all!

2.7L

2.7L Timing belt package

2.0L

2.0L Timing belt package

hope this helps a little or alot...and correct me if im wrong about anything...
  • jae5jae5 Posts: 1,205
    It depends if the engine is an interference-engine of not. If it is an interference engine and the timing belt breaks, the pistons are going to smack, yes smack, the valves, bending them and causing major engine damage. Again, everything runs based on a specific amount of space, so if the timing is off due to a jumped cog, or if the belt breaks, the internals will come into contact with each other and the engine will be damaged.

If it is not an interference fit, the valves won't come into contact with the pistons and the valve-train will be ok.

Te $600 cost is not that bad, really. As the others responded, it's mostly the labor in removing all the components to get to belt. Also stated, the common practice when changing out the belt is to replace the water pump. Not that the pump goes bad at the same time, but it's really for insurance. The area is open anyway so might as well replace it; the labor for it should be free or very little. You don't want to do a belt replacement then a month down the road the water pump takes a dump. Then you looking at another huge $$ repair.

Hope this helps.
  • I am trying to get information on changing the spark plug in my V6. I would like to know how you change the back 3 plugs? It looks like I need to remove the top of the intake manifold. If anyone has the necessary information I would appricate it if you could forward this information to me.

Thank you.
  • I did more research and from what I can tell, the DOHC 16v is only used in the 4 cylinder and all the V6 models are DOHC 24v.

Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks.
  • i just can't figure it out cuz it is cover.

if it is a turbo car, i just have to buy a good turbo.
    if it is not then i have to buy turbo kits.

i want to know if it is turbo car.

so i won't spend big money to search for it.

thank :) u!
  • terkarterkar Posts: 1
    its the 2 liter 4 ---no turbo.
  • Hey ,I just purchased a new 08 GT Tib about 2 months ago. I have nothing but good things to say about it , but I was wondering if theres anyway to put more HP / Torque into it. Is the 2.7L V6 capable of being upgraded ? Is it Turbo accessable ? If anyone has any info on this topic please respond. Thank you for your time and help. :lemon:
  • I have a 2006 Tiburon with the 2.0 4 cylinder and i am looking for a turbo kit for it. I have not been able to find one for a 2006 but i found one for a 2003. If i can remember right they didnt make tiburons in 04 or 05. Will the 2003 kit work on the 2006 ebgine package? Does anybody know??

Thanks
  • it looks identical to my 4. Everything about it looks like a 4 cylinder
  • I have an 03 Tiburon V6 GT and its been cranking but not starting. Usually followed by some white smoke. I took it in and found no problems at that time. Plugs have been changed and the TPS sensor too.

I'm stuck.....
  • PFFlyer@EdmundsPFFlyer@Edmunds Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,810
    White smoke is usually a sign of water in the cylinders. Could be that you have a leaking head gasket and a bit of water is seeping into a cylinder.

PFFlyer@Edmunds

Moderator - Hatchbacks & Hybrid Vehicles

• I didn't think of that. I was going more in the direction of crank sensor, fuel filter, bad injectors. It progressively got to this point and now just a real pain to start. I smell raw gas when it starts so i thought it was the fuel flooding the cylinder and burning off.
    Well you may be right too. Maybe I'm overreacting to the white smoke. Since you're smelling gas, it's possible you're losing fuel pressure in the line overnight due to a small leak. Try the following to test the theory.
    Before you turn the key all the way to start, just turn it to the ON position then turn it off. That will run the fuel pump for a few seconds. If you do that a couple of times it will re-establish pressure in the line and you should start right up if that's the issue.

PFFlyer@Edmunds

• I'll have to try that in the morning. That's when it takes a bit to get going after sitting for a while.
    That's sounding more like a fuel pressure issue since it's the mornings after the car has been sitting for a number of hours.
    When you turn the key you should hear the electric fuel pump running for a few seconds. If it is that you're leaking fuel pressure, this key trick will be a good workaround until the leak gets bad enough to be easy to find.

PFFlyer@Edmunds

• we'll i tried it and it's still the same. Cranks for 5 or 6 times then it starts with the white smoke. The engine revs to about 2000 rpms and slowly drops back to an normal idle. we're going to see what our dad has to say and if no luck just give in and take it to a Hyundai dealer and see what they can make of it.
  • I am Hyundai Salesperson. I also play with my '06 Tiburon GT.
    My son is a Hyundai master mechanic.
    My Tiburon will eat GT Mustangs.

That is not to brag but to give you a little background.

Your engine is a 2.0 litre 4-cylinder.

Lots of performance parts available. Go to Next Generation Motorsports.
  • Tiburon v-6 has a timming chain, why would you need to change it at 60.000 miles. I have driven cars with timming chains ( not belts ) with 200.000 + miles with no problem . now the 4 banger has a belt and i know they need to be replaced, but a chain uummm ?