Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Convertible Top Repair and Maintenance

imdukeimduke Member Posts: 4
edited March 2014 in Cadillac
Anyone know of whom can put a new top on a '74 Eldorado? Everyone I talk to backs away. They claim its too difficult!

Comments

• ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    Hi, imduke,

You might want to ask the folks in the Maintenance & Repair Forum if they have any ideas for you. In the meantime, I'll change the name of this topic to "Convertible Top Repair and Maintenance" to make it a little more inclusive.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• boxterboxter Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know if there is something that can be done about marks on my Boxter's convertible top where it folds when retracting??

Thank's :)
  • juzcuzjuzcuz Member Posts: 1
    New at this so please bear with me. I have a 93 Geo Metro convertible. Great car but nearly impossible to close its top and latch. Takes several people to help and lots of elbow grease. Want to know if buying a new top and cables online will help make this easier for me to put up the top? Present cables aren't broken but will buy online with top if this will solve the closing & latching problem. Thanks!
  • topdown8topdown8 Member Posts: 2
    my 2002 mustang conv. has a leak at bottom left side of rear window. Any suggestions on how to fix it? There is no apparent damage looks good from both sides (in & out) however, it's leaking.
  • wireropeguruwireropeguru Member Posts: 1
    i have the same problem as topdown8 only i have a 2001 mustang convertible- the back window leaks on bottom rt and left sides - the top is not sealed around the bottom half of the window and the water runs underneath it. hate to seal it up if it isn't suppose to be and i break the window- thanks for any help
  • fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    Well, I'm seeing this about six weeks after you posted but I've run into a problem like that.

The piece that holds the window, sometimes called a rear curtain (there's other names for it but that's the one I know), is actually a separate piece from the rest of the top. Usually if the leak is at the bottom of the window it can be reglued with epoxy by a convertible top guy pretty cheaply.

If it leaks at the top you are talking replacing the rear curtain which is some more serious money. I'm doing that on my 99 Celica and it's running $630. Previous owner replaced the top but not the rear curtain. I have no idea why. Usually they replace both if you're doing a whole top. Oh, well. The leak wasn't bad and I was going to let it go but then my daughter poked her finger in there and now the leak would be considerably more so I'm having it done.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • imdukeimduke Member Posts: 4
    The rear curtain, is the part that is missing. New top but no rear curtain. I don't know why people do that but thats the way it is.
    I'm with you on that! I wonder how much the previous owner saved in doing a new top without a new rear curtain. I know that just doing a rear curtain on a 99 Celica is just north of $60. Tried a couple of places and the diagnosis, fix and price is the same everywhere.

Part should come in this coming this coming week. Until then thank goodness for duct tape...
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
    I go a month without posting only to discover a typo. Rear curtain is just north of $600! Complete it turned out to be $630 on the nose. Who the heck replaces a top and doesn't do the rear curtain? Well, the previous owner of my Celica....
  • lilyzeblilyzeb Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix top sag (where windows meet) on 69 olds cutlass?
    Thanks, I appreciate any and all assistance.
  • norwest1norwest1 Member Posts: 1
    Have a 1990 Buick Reatta convertable and the rear glass has separated from the fabric. Is there a good glue I can put it back together with. The top is in really good shape otherwise
  • gspillergspiller Member Posts: 1
    my convertible top on my 2004 beetle will not come up is there a way to put it up manually. does anyone know why it would just stop raising?
This discussion has been closed.