Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2008 Mazda5 Safety Question

2»

Comments

• alioualiou Posts: 4
    Hi, there:
    I just want to know from you who own Mazda 5 car. Does your dashboard warning LED show door opened while the rear door didn't close well( ajar) ??
    I am worry about just mine Mazda 5 has this problem only.
  • coolmazda5coolmazda5 Posts: 525
    No, there is no warning light, but never thought of it :blush:.

Possibly I have owned several old cars as a student and that has made me paranoid to always to double check when shutting the doors, lift-gate, etc. That goes along with checking all levels when there is a relatively long trip.

And, by the way, It is really visible when the lift-gate is not fully closed.
    CORRECTION: The 2008 Mazda5 has the warning light if the liftgate is not fully closed. I just noted that today. My 2006 does not have it though :D
  • mfuchs2004mfuchs2004 Posts: 1
    I have an extensive background in industrial safety, with a focus on chemical safety. Here are some points to ponder -

1. Mazda 5 is a very safe car on crash tests for adults:

NHTSA has a matrix for testing car safety that looks at a variety of factors. One of the most significant factors that may cause a vehicle NOT to be tested is that it has recently rec'd high scores on the Euro and Japanese tests (and the vehicle is structurally the same model). Doesn't mean it won't ever be tested, but it drops way down the waiting list. I think this is good gov't policy, and puts untested cars through the system sooner than might otherwise be the case.

2. Mazda 5 is very safe for children in appropriate restraints:

I agree that the lower child rating on the Euro test is procedural NOT the result of inadequate protection. The Euro test automatically deducts safety points for lack of clear labels, poorly marked electrical connections, etc. The wisdom seems clear - if things are poorly marked, then parents could incorrectly install safety seats, and technicians could inadvertently disconnect air bag sensors.

3. Toxicity issues are suspect:

I've gone to the Healthycar.org link. Although the idea is great, the described testing methods are inadequate. There are two important factors regarding elemental chemical safety: PRESENCE, and AVAILABILITY.

Most elements in our environment are present, but unavailable. Table salt, for instance is one of the most commonly used food additives. It's 50% chlorine! The chlorine is present, but it's unavailable. As long as it's bound to the sodium, it's a safe compound. Various processes could return it to elemental chlorine, which in some forms can be a harmful irritant - even causing serious injury or death.

Bromine is actually quite common in foods and medicines. It's one of the key components of chocolate.

Arsenic, antimony, and lead can be harmful when not bound in stable compounds.

Since the healthycar results do not test which compounds contain these items, we cannot gain any indication of toxicity. Just bad data being used to generate bad conclusions.

Now, do I think that my new car is NOT toxic? I use my nose. If I can smell something that is not a known safe compound, then I assume it's not safe. I air it out. Just seems prudent to me.

Same thing with crash safety - too many factors in a crash. Try like heck to stay away from circumstances that would result in a crash, buckle up, and buy the best child seats money can buy - AND BE SURE TO LOOK AT SEAT CRASH DATA!
    Very good information, thank you for the details. I'm happy to read the NHTSA one, it sounds very logical, the tests in Europe and Japan are very extensive.

With regards to toxicity, I won't open a can of worms, but if it was really a BIG issue I think there would be more noise everywhere (TV, Internet, etc.)

I'll keep mum now...
    So, would you think that was one of the defect of this car ? Because when I bought my car in 2007 and no body(dealer) tell me about this even the operation/maitenance manual and car specification note the door ajar warning function. Can I claim this to Mazda Co. ? Will it success ?

Because as I know all of the cars with liftgate/rear hatch without such problem.
    Here is what the manuals say for both models:
    2006: This warning light comes on when any door isn't securely closed
    2008: This warning light illuminates when any door is not securely closed

If it works for all doors (except the liftgate) there is not too much evidence in the manual I would say (i.e.the term "liftgate" or "trunk" is not there).

Now, if its really critical for you give Mazda USA a call, and tell them that at least you know that it works on the 2008s. Not sure how much it would help, but at least you tried (www.mazdausa.com)
    Coolmazda5, it is very helpful. thanks.
  • kubaskubas Posts: 13
    Mine does that (2008 GT). Maybe they changed it in 2008 model.
2»
This discussion has been closed.