Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Edge Rims

2»

Comments

• Thanks and I was just wondering if anyone else had any problems but it sounds like we were just unlucky.
  • bernieedgebernieedge Posts: 1
    I slightly bent one of my plastic chrome wheel covers on my 2011 Ford Edge SEL. My fault, I gotta pay to replace it.

So I go to the dealer to see how badly this is going to hurt.

I ask the parts guy, "How much to replace the chrome plastic wheel cover on my Edge?" He rolls his eyes, he has been through this before. "Um, well, you have to replace the whole wheel. I stare at him. "What?"

The wheel cover is "bonded" to the wheel. You can't get it separately. $768.12, plus mounting and balancing. But they will give you back $50 for the old wheel. They will recycle it for you." How sweet and Green of Ford.

I stare.

They go on to explain what a great engineering design it is. "Putting chrome on the wheel this way saves weight and cost. It improves your MPG."

Yeah well, I think it is a calculated money grab by Ford to make sure you spend $800 bucks, instead of $80, or $150, for something %60+ of owners are going to damage sometime in the car's life. I do not think it was an engineering design at all, but a purposeful design to extract as much money from their clients after they purchase the car.

Now I know how they could avoid the bailout, by building in a crazy expensive design that screws their clients.

Nice Ford!
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,622
    How many times are you going to post this? That's at least 3 forums.

It's a new technology that several mfrs are using. It has weight and durability benefits. The downside is that it can't currently be repaired. I'm sure that will change as the product matures.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,964
    First time I've seen Bernieedge posting here. And rims is what this discussion is all about.

So chill. :)
  • I too am frustrated with the 20 " Plastic/chrome wheels on my 2012 Edge. I curbed/scraped the wheel lip on a wheel and also went to the dealer looking for a replacement "hubcap". I was also told that there is no hubcap, and the wheels are NOT repairable. I was quoted $950. each to replace. My younger brother bought an Edge and he was told that there was a repair source much like "The Dent Wizard" that went around to dealers and repaired these wheels. I took my Edge to my local dealer, they actually set up an appointment for me to bring the car in. When the repair guy saw the wheels, he said he could not fix them. I don't know if that was because he did not have the skills, or the technology is just not yet out there. I really like my Edge, but would never recommend these wheels. Really... $750 to $950. per wheel is a ripoff. Ford's better idea sucks! They should recall the wheels if they are not repairable. Anyone got an answer?
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,451
    I'm not a huge fan of these type wheels, but they do have some advantages.
    They look pretty good and are easy to clean.
  • Just bought a 2013 Edge SEL - Paid an extra $795 for the 18" Chrome Clad Wheels. I had no idea they are actually plastic. I am a little upset. I was thinking of solid wheels like on my '07 Expedition. I hope that they have been proven to be durable. When the time comes that I need new tires, how can they remove the old tires without damaging the plastic cover? Seems like the plastic would crack when that big tire machine is placed on the lip of the wheel. Any thoughts?
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,622
    The chrome plating is more durable since it won't pit over time and it's lighter for better handling and fuel economy. The downside is if you damage them they can't be repaired (yet). But changing tires hasn't been an issue.
  • bdymentbdyment Posts: 549
    They are also the easiest rims to clean. Far easier than regular aluminum.
  • Noticed that a lot of people are experiencing problems with Edge rims. I purchased a "certified" 2011 Edge and at the time purchased a tire and wheel insurance policy. My rims started bubbling and peeling. I submitted a claim under the policy and it was denied as Ford deemed it cosmetic and after appeals their reply stuck. The service manager agreed with me that it should be covered. Insurance called it collision damage and agreed to cover it under $500 Dollar deductible. The result was replacement but still cost me $500 dollars. I will not purchase any car with such wheels and then it will not be a Ford. After 23 years Ford I just say Bye Bye.
  • babbs3babbs3 Posts: 50
    Yes James this is a tragedy because rims and even tires should not have to be a worry to you. Ford has gotten away with so many goofs since 2008 (transmissions, staining seats and poor My sync) I have only been a loyal fan for 5 years but the last 3 Fords have been disappointing. I too am looking elsewhere after this current lease is up. Sorry you had to learn this lesson too.
  • bozewellbozewell Posts: 1
    Just bought a 2013 Edge Eco-boost. Had a 2009 Escape with those chrome covers and waited a long time to clean. I felt it would take too long to clean them real good. Based on the cleaning of those I assume one should clean the chrome often and with nothing abrasive. Is this true and what is a recommended cleaner?
  • bdymentbdyment Posts: 549
    They are an easy clean on the Edge. I use mild soap and water and a sponge. Rinse clean and that is it. I find that brake dust does not build up to any degree on these rims.
2»