Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hyundai Tucson battery and alternator

2»

Comments

• nancy361nancy361 Posts: 2
    edited January 2011
    ha , that is a joke... i park my car out front of my house all the time. AND LOCK my doors ALL the time..... it hasnt happened again since the 1st time it did in august, and that was cause it sat all week while i was away, and it was locked and everything was shut off in it....i was thinking of calling to see whats up too before my warranty runs out. i have a V6 2006. i was told that 06 had electrical issues by someone AFTER i bought it...
  • angry8angry8 Posts: 4
    I have a 2010 Hundai Tucson with battey problems. We don't drive the car everyday. So the first time it happened, the dealership played it off as though the previous battery was not any good. The second time, I was angry. We were told that the concrete drains the battery power. How many vehicles are not sitting on concrete? Then the service manager told my husband to remove the fuse when it was sitting for a long period of time. Well, this third time it was in the garage for one day and the battery was completely dead. When I called the dealship, they sent out a wrecker truck and are now keeping it over the weekend. I spoke to the service manager, who assured me that something would be done. I also spoke to the former sales manager who says he would assist in finding out the problem. But after reading this forum, I don't believe I will get any help. Hundai has known about this problem and is refusing to acknowledge it. I think it is time for action. I will let you guys know on Monday what the outcome is.
  • Do you have the limited with the auto diming mirror?
    We have the SE, if that helps. It is in the shop, so I am not really sure.
  • buerkletucsonbuerkletucson Posts: 21
    edited March 2011
    SE?
    Sure it's a 2010 model? I thought the last year of the Tucson SE was 2009.

Anyway,
    The reason I mention the auto-dimming mirror is there was a big problem with them wiring it incorrectly. This is done at port..............It had power applied all the time and was supposed to be wired to shut off with the ignition.
    Many people had problems with it draining the battery if you didn't drive the car for a few days.
    Good luck on your problem......

Please let us know how it turns out.....Thanks.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,942
    edited March 2011
    We were told that the concrete drains the battery power

Please tell the dealer that your friends at Edmunds enjoyed the laugh. At least I did. :)

Battery FAQ (JDGarden.com)

You might try opening a case directly with Hyundai.

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

edited March 2011
    After keeping the car over the weekend, the service department told me that it started right up and they believe that I had left the parking lights on. What a crock. I knew there was no need in arguing, so I called consumer affairs and they informed me that I could take it to another dealership, so I contacted the nearest dealership, which it about 45 miles away. I told them the problem and ask that I drop off the car on Friday and that they not start it until Morday. They agreed. Later, I received a call from my service dept. asking me if I could leave the car with them for a few days and that they would give me a loaner. They wanted to research the problem more. They also wanted copies of these postings to review. So I agreed. If I don't get any results, I will take it to the other dealer. My husband wants to trade the car in and forget the headaches. I love my car. If you had a pet and was sick you wouldn't give it away, you would try and find out what's making it sick. That is how I feel about my car. I want to know the problem and I want to keep my car. So if necessary, if my service dept. can't find the problem, I will take it to every dealership in the surrounding area. There is going to be a service dept. somewhere who will find the problem and fix it. Or at least I am hoping for that. I don't know how long I can get my husband to go along with me. This posting should have responded to Tucson battery vice Tucson battery and alternator. I don't know if I have alternator problems. I could who knows.
  • Hang in there - you are doing the right thing. I had to take mine in several times and get pretty stern with them. They finally replaces the drivers side automatic windows switches, and I haven't had a problems since. This is for a 2005 Tucson.
  • I am having the same issues with my used 2005 Tuscon that I bought 6 months ago, I really need some help..the battery being dead every day is stressing me out, and driving me crazy! I called the dealership and Hyundai, no one seems to care at all or want to help with this issue. For all who have been going through this, can someone give me some facts on what HAS actually worked, and if they have gotten and response or help fixing this issue from Hyundai? I am going back to the dealership monday, they clearly have no clue or are just playing dumb in regards to handeling fixing my vehicle. I would like to go in with as much info as possible to resolve this ASAP!
  • I am struggling with my 2005 Hyundai Tuscon. I love the car but fed up with the problems. I seem to have the classic battery being drained by either the posessed lock system, the alarm system, or the radio issue. IDK if all three are the culprit, or what? Anyway, I was on the phone yesterday from a supervisor at the Hyundai corp. and pretty much got no where with Hyundai taking responsiblity for this being a factory issue that they should be recalling and fixing for all Hyundai Tuscon owners. I asked, "what will it take to create a recall on this vehicle for this issue"? I could get no straight answer, only that I had "done the right thing" by calling to inform them of this issue! When I asked how many people it would take to call complaining to get a recall, she did not have that info, nor could she connect me with the person who has that info, as that is an internal process! Must be TOP SECRET!!! REALLY...OMG, I am at the end of my rope. I just want my car fixed, if anyone has the facts straight on this, please HELP. I could really use any helpful info before I return to the Dealer on Monday to get another line of BS. So, for anyone going or having gone through this, if a recall actually happens, you can be reimbursed for all money put into fixing this issue with your Tuscon. I am encouraging EVERYONE effected by this to call Hyundai and file a complaint..maybe then we can get this issue fixed with less hassle! The number is (800) 633-5151...Please CALL!!! :cry:
  • I've had the same problem with my 2006 since December 2010. Had the car for 5 years with no major problems. I read the threads on this website and had my mechanic disconnect the fuse for the radio/ power mirrors to see if that was the problem. BINGO. Since the disconnect, no dead batteries, regardless if I park it on concrete {:)}, let the sit without running for as much as a week, etc. I went to an electrical shop that specializes in cars and they suggested just replacing the radio. Haven't done that yet. Not sure why the problem started after 5 years. My daughter had a Santa Fe and no problems ever. She sold it for $7,000 with 110,000 mile son it.
  • 05tucsonglgal05tucsonglgal Posts: 1
    edited July 2011
    I have a 2005 Tucson GLS V6, and like so many others, I have had the battery drain issue. The first two times it was under warranty. The second two times I had to pay for the battery replacement. The dealers both in CA and IL always said silly things like I must have left the lights on, etc. I *always* turn everything off (lights, radio, AC, etc.) whenever I turn off the engine. Every single occurrence happened when I hadn't driven the car in 4 days (it was in a covered garage). After reading so many forums around the web discussing this issue, I decided to do an experiment when I knew I was going out of town for a week earlier this month. I am *not* mechanically inclined, but I learned from these discussions where the Tucson power connector was. Right before my trip, I opened up the side panel (to the left of the steering wheel) and, using rubber gloves, I pulled the power connector (biggest yellow rectangle at bottom of space) out just enough so that it was disconnected (the dome light went off, power locks stopped working, etc.). Here's a repost of the link that helped me locate it: http://www.justanswer.com/hyundai/3w4si-2006-hyundai-tucson-bought-new-almost-ev- - ery-time.html
    I figured I couldn't lose with this experiment. At worst, my car would not start upon my return, which is what would definitely happen if I just left it sitting all week. And voila--when I came back from my trip, I pushed the connector back in place, and my car started right away! No dead battery! Of course, I had to reset the clock and the radio stations in my car once I put the connector back in, but that (in my mind) is a small price to pay compared to the alternative (car not starting, having to get new battery). For those of you who only experience the battery drain issue if your car sits more than 48hrs, this might just do the trick for you. And the car doesn't have to go to the shop at all. Yay!
  • We have a 2011 Tucson with the auto dimming mirror, and have been experiencing the dead battery issue for a number of months. We hear the doors lock and unlock during the night, and the battery has died on us. We have 3000 on the vehicle, and it has been to the service dept to no avail. They cannot identify an issue with it. We did not realize that we only had two Roadside assistance calls a year, and have used them both up on jump starts. Has anyone found a resolution to this issue yet? I wish I saw this thread five months ago, I would never have purchased this vehicle.
  • See my post (as TAM5CD) to see how I identified the culprits on an '05 Tucson after the dealer was no help. From your post, I see that Hyundai still has a problem that has persisted for several years. We got rid of the Hyundai we had.

TAM5CD
  • The locks switching at random times were the final clues for my '05. I could reproduce them switching slow by switching the driver side button many times in a row. I finally insisted the dealer do something about it.

After they contacted Hyundai, Hyundai reported that they had had problems with the driver's side door control panel - the panel with the window and lock switches on the driver door armrest.

After they changed that the problem went away.
  • the dealership in Port Arthur Tx finally resolved the problem. The electrical system in the mirror was wired incorrectly, therefore draining the battery. After keeping the car for a couple of weeks, the problem was found. We have had no problems since then. Believe you me everytime I left the car for more than 24 hours I would dread coming home to see if it started. No problems anymore. Now I am loving my car. Hope this helps others.
  • Hi folks,

I never really had a problem with my 06 Tucson until one day I popped a CD in and the player didn't recognize the CD. Then my car would not start if left to sit for 48 hours. I thought it was the battery so I had a new one installed. That battery was defective and under warrenty so it was replaced. When the battery started to die again after a month, I knew it wasn't the battery. The dealership figured it was the radio and took out the fuse. I left it there on purpose for a few days and went to pick it up. No surprise it didn't start! They were extremely embarrassed over this and assured me they would find the problem. They did. It was the door switch along with the radio that was draining the battery. If you have this issue, I would recommend you have those two items checked. It took 16 days for them to figure out what the issue was. I hope you don't have to wait as long for your issue to be found.
  • piper2006piper2006 Posts: 2
    After bringing our Tucson in to the dealership because of door lock problems only to hear that there's nothing wrong AND after calling the dealership again and again only to hear there's still nothing wrong AND now hearing the warranty is only good now for the engine AND two batteries in two years later AND being tired of having to jump the car if it sat more than 24 hours because of a dead battery, we decided to FIX IT OURSELVES! Because of the advice in these forums we decided to remove the power lock fuse. The legend on the fuse box does not show which is the power door locks but it is the same fuse as the sunroof. One week later...NO MORE PROBLEMS! It's a shame after reading all the posts that Hyundai chooses not to address the problem. Shame on them!
  • piper2006piper2006 Posts: 2
    Update....let the car sit for 4 days. Started right up!
  • rusowskirusowski Posts: 2
    My 2005 Tucson has the same battery, lock and radio issues. Vehicle will not start after sitting for two days. Had to go to Harbor Freight and buy a jump start kit to keep in the back seat. I just talked to Hyundai North America and started a case investigation. Customer Service Rep told me to take it back to my dealer and have them check in out. Everyone knows that is costs $100.00 just to drive into the dealership. Will keep this post updated .
  • rusowskirusowski Posts: 2
    Just spoke with a Hyundai Corp. Rep. I was advised to park Tucson the for a day or two so the battery dies, have it towed to the dealership, at my expense, so they could check the battery and charging system, again at my expense. After all that they would not even say Hyundai would pay for or replace the radio. I might have to drive to the dealership on Saturday evening, park it there so on Monday morning it will not start. At least that will save on towing. Subject at Hyundai Corp also told me that a TSB does not indicate Hyundai has accepted a problem as a recall or even to have customers bring the vehicle in to be checked only that they know there may be some problems.
  • cmac66cmac66 Posts: 3
    First, have them check via phone call or via VIN# if your car had installed the faulty radio. If so, it is VERY likely this is the problem. But going to Hyundai to prove the issue solves nothing. Getting a new battery will help until you get this fixed, but fix it fast (you might need the new battery anyway)

You could complain, but it is easier to replace the radio with a third party radio (I went with a bluetooth Alpine). I went to Crutchfields and did it myself (they are great if you are mechanically inclined). If not, you can find a local guy to do it.

My issue was: they said I was out of warranty anyway (36K for electrical), and they'd replace (at my cost) with the same radio (not upgrade or put in a third party). The net effect of that was I changed it myself.

But I still like the car. Since then we still drive the Tucson ('05 w/ 130K on it), bought a 2012 Tucson, and I drive a Genesis. While I DO NOT agree with Hyundai on this issue, it was not the worst issue I've been through. The TSB and web clearly show the radio firmware issue, and Hyundai did not act very good on this response. If I'd had other quality issues and they acted this way, I would not trust Hyundai and would not be buying more cars from them. So far the other quality aspects have been very good.
2»