Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cadillac Deville Starting / Stalling Problems

13»

Comments

• bolivarbolivar Posts: 2,316
    edited August 2013
    Check the battery cables. If they have gotten any acid on them, they might be eaten up inside the insulation. Of course, even before this, check that they are tight on the battery.

They don't fail much, but the starter might be going bad. You have a 15 year old car. The starter isn't easy to replace, it's inside the intake manifold.

Also, the positive battery cable is long on these cars and is not cheap.

Did you check the battery with a load test? Even if it is only a few months old, it could be failing.
    ·
  • I got a cadillac deville 1995 lights inside not working right out of no where and it stalls on me turns off out of no where when I'm in a stop sign or red light and I was driving on the freeway port of houston the one that goes real high up it went 20 on a 80 could of kill myself and it takes time to catch speed some times it don't wants to go up from 60 got to let go of the gas and press it again to make it speed up can somebody help never had this problems had it standing for a year because the water pump but I barely fix it and this started happening they said I put it right for my first time they say is the crankshaft or  distributor can somebody help me please it still runs and everything 
    ·
  • cheddar5cheddar5 Posts: 1
    edited January 23
    Today my  96cadillac deville made a loud clinging noise it cut off but started back up.tHe clinging kelp on and now it's hard to turn left r right but the clinging stopped what's the problem?
    ·
  • burke7burke7 Posts: 1
    I had this same issue . It drove me insane . But I fixed the problem and will tell you how I did it .
    2001 DTS. 

had the car stalling on me . Or the idle would run high at stop lights . I first checked all the codes . And one came back as a catalytic converter issue .

Further investigation , realized that the catalytic converter code can also be caused by toour much air getting into the intake / throttle body . Or possibly a air sensor issue .
     ( rare but possible ) 

THE FIX , and I'message writing this because it drove me so crazy I want to help others .
    it was so simple . 

I removed the rubber boot from the air filter to the throttle body . I pulled out the sensor nearest the butterfly valve gave it a cleaning with alcohol prep pad . AND applied a NEW O-RING Before putting it back in . I also cleaned out the butterfly valve assembly back to its former shiny glory . .
    I than put it all back together . And here is the part that I believe fixed it . TIGHTEN the clamps! The worm ring clamps . For whatever reason they loosen up over time .extra air was seeping into the intake . And causing the car to run LEAN. Raising the idle .  And also at times causing a stall after I start the car or at stop lights . one of these processes , not sure which one solved all my issues . No more check engine lights . No warnings . No codes . Runs like it did from the factory .

Simple fix . It's worth a try . And my car the check engine light turned itself off without me clearing codes or manually turning it off. And with the cleaned up throttle body , I must've gained about ten horsepower on my 15 year old 122,000 mile cadillac dts. It MOVES now . 
    Also gas mileage has improved .

I'm so confident now in the performance of the car and reliability I even started spending money doing modifications like H.I.D headlights and aftermarket pioneer navigation systems .

Good luck to everyone having this issue . Check o-rings that possibly dried up . make sure all clamps are tight . Make sure that throttle body is clean !
    ·
13»