Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Pilot 4WD Problems

2»

Comments

• Yeah, the high shifting drives me crazy. I find myself actually letting off the gas to allow it to shift ahead of time. Keeping your foot lightly...and I do mean lightly on the gas allows it to get up too high in my opinion before shifting. I showed a friend and he said it was just loud because it is a big truck. I'm used to driving cars, so apparently they are different? I still don't buy it.

This is very frustrating for a young, middle class family that had always held the Pilot in high regards. Everything else on it is great, don't get me wrong. I just want those darn shift points fixed! Any ideas, updates, etc... guys?
  • bigdadi118
    If you have an email address, I will scan and send you the work order that was prepared.
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Posts: 1,207
    auditor05
    apprcsiate it. Pls shoot one to ur798 [at] yahoo [dot] com
  • I've been off the forum for a long time. Decided to check to see if I'm the only crazy one... looks like I'm not. If you saw my posts on this issue close to a year ago, I've have issues from day one with the shift points. A year later and no improvements. My 04 was great, however I can't say that for the 08. One thing that I like about the 08, is whenever I drive through the mountains (not often), the response it great and makes driving much nicer on inclines and curves. Problem is that is eats gas like a hog. I can honestly say that aftermy lease is up in two years, I won't be going back to a pilot
  • bigdadi118bigdadi118 Posts: 1,207
    The tranny will shift in LOWER RPMs instead of high RPM 3000 - 3500, when you keep an eye on the RPM, hold on the gas pedal and have the RPM steady at 2000 - 2500 RPM (1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd, etc) ... the result is SLOWER timing on gear shift and high shift point can be changed to lower as long as not keep pressing the gas pedal to higher RPM.
  • I've done everything...I can make the tranny shift at 2000 -2500, if I drive the thing like a manual and let off the gas or baby foot the gas like some others have recommended. It's a drivability issue that was poorly designed. I have not heard any technical reason from Honda or anyone else as to how these "standard" shift points are better for fuel economy or drivability. The 04 that I had for 4 years shifted just fine and got much better mileage. I am no lead foot and drive very conservative... and always have been, but to have to watch the tach on an automatic transmission during normal driving conditions is ridiculous.
  • ll53ll53 Posts: 2
    Could you send me a copy of the work order also, I am looking at an 08 VP and would like to know more about these issues.

Thanks
    llhill3@gmail.com
  • lg2207lg2207 Posts: 28
    Hi There-
    My '08 is experiencing same knocking issue- can you send me the TSB or the solution so I can bring it to the dealer.
    PM to LG2207@gmail.com
    Regards,
    -Larry
    Lg2207
  • ll53ll53 Posts: 2
    If you look in the coupon book (dealer stamps when PM done at recommended intervals) it mentions adjusting the valves if they are making an unusual amount of noise. I had this done on mine and it got rid of 90% of the racket coming from under the hood. I have never had a V6, (inline 6, or 4 for that matter) that makes as much racket as this model does. Other than that and a camshaft replacement, its been pretty trouble free.
2»
This discussion has been closed.