Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo XC90 T6 Transmission

Comments

• wasagabeachwasagabeach Member Posts: 9
    edited March 2010
    Hi Palkardot. You have my sympathies. Mine went (T6,XC90,04) at approx. 126,000 km. Are u in the States or Canada. I know a location in Canada that will fix it, all in, for $1,800.00.
    Cheers
  • sadaboutxc90sadaboutxc90 Member Posts: 3
    I am in bend OR. I just had to have my tranny radiator and connecting parts replaced. I called volvo NW and they told me to talk to the service manager and have them contact them if they do not help you. Volvo NW will have a rep contact the dealer. I only had to pay a 600 "deductable". My car is a 2004 xc90 t6 with 86000. Good luck, if they give you a problem to them you are part of the class action suite and are talking with the lawyer.
  • jbs05jbs05 Member Posts: 13
    I need information....(2005 T6 XC90)

I am meeting with a volvo Rep on Monday. They are going to hook up to my car some meter that records the sounds of my engine as it shifts or the lack of shifting between gears.

First, has anyone had an issue with driving in 3rd or 4th gear where you back off the gas and then it locks in the higher gear at 1500RPMs? It stays in lock-up anywhere between 38 and 45MPH and does not shift to the lower (3rd or 2nd) gear. You have to punch the gas to get it to shift into the correct gear.

I was originally told that this was "normal". That I should shift the car manually if I didn't like it.

Volvo dropped on me that they want to put this to rest. I want to know if this is normal. For me, this only started occuring AFTER the new transmission was put in. I have not been able to find anyone thus far who has seen this on their own vehicle. Volvo now says that they are going to have me sit in another volvo and show me this happens.

So what is normal? My car and one other? 1 in 100? If this is normal, shouldn't this occur in every car? I have the feeling that they are going to run me over on Monday.

Any advice that anyone can give me would be great.
  • palkardotpalkardot Member Posts: 2
    I'm in the states. Looking around now for a used tranny so I can at least trade in for some value.
  • dunningdunning Member Posts: 4
    Hi jbs05 -
    I hope your meeting went well today and I wish I had seen your post sooner. Our 03 T6 is in the shop - has been for a week and a half for the tranny (we only bought it a month and a half/1700 miles ago w/ 56K on the odometer, thankfully with an $$$ extended warranty).
    Driving at 40mph was unnerving - it would do exactly the same thing that you explained - lock into 4th gear when it should have been in 3rd gear, at the most. It would also hesitate about every 10mph interval when accelerating trying to decide what it should do with itself, it seemed. I REALLY hope that when we finally get it back from the shop this will be remedied.
    Good luck to us all! Sounds like I can probably expect to go through this at least once more before my (aftermarket) warranty is up :confuse:
  • ziekziek Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

So sad to hear of all these trany problems...and wondering if I'm about to join the club of sorry souls. I purchased an XC 90 2005 T6 with 65K, luckily with an extended warranty. After the 1st oil change at 70K, the car will not go into Reverse. The dealer replaced the oil fire box and gasket at this time due to an oil leak and replaced all fluids. It will not go into Reverse so I shift it into neutral, drive forward a few inches and when I put it into Reverse again, it will not move backward. When I step on the gas in Rev. it sounds as if something is buckling underneath...Could this be a transmission problem or are the brakes somehow locked up?
  • archtk1archtk1 Member Posts: 1
    My dealer recently replaced my 2004 XC90 T6 transmission, radiator, and transmission cooler for a cost of $9,000. The car had 54,000 miles on it. I had no extended warranty. I was told that the radiator fluid leaked into the transmission cooler. That's what caused the transmission failure (metal filings were seen). I was also told that there have been a number of reasons that these transmissions have failed. The radiator leakage issue was #1 in the dealer's opinion. They had not seen a failure due simply to a "undersized" transmission being used in 2004 (the Pontiac transmission). I would like to know what others have been told regarding the reason(s) that their transmissions failed. What would cause the radiator to leak into the transmission cooler? Can this happen again? The dealer did not know what model year the "remanufactured" transmission he was shipped from Volvo was. Could my replacement transmission now be a remanufactured 2004 (90% new parts)? Or, is Volvo smart enough to ship 2005 or later transmissions when a replacement is made? By the way, Volvo paid for all the work - the entire $9,000. While the vehicle was in the shop, I did pay $1,500 for new brakes, rotors, and some other stuff. I do have a one year warranty on the transmission and related work even though Volvo paid the dealer.

BIGGER QUESTION: Beyond the cost and aggravation of the replacement noted above, another issue has surfaced. After driving the vehicle for about three days (+/- 100 miles) with the reconditioned transmission, my first gear failed almost entirely. I was trying to merge into a high speed road. Instead of accelerating normally, the vehicle moved like a slow snail. I pushed the accelerator all the way to floor and very little happened. Oncoming cars swerved, horns were honked, and I just missed getting killed! I was able to nurse the vehicle to my house. The same problem occurred each time I stopped for a light or a stop sign. It happened a total of seven times in all. No warning light on the dashboard. No issues with other gears.

The vehicle was towed to the dealer. After a week in their shop and (I'm told) many test miles, the dealer could not replicate the problem. No computer codes came up.

The dealer and Volvo both say they can do nothing for me unless the problem surfaces again. I explained that I was afraid to drive the vehicle again after my close call.

Another dealer told me that the only option he saw would be to sell the vehicle for parts. Mind you, this XC90 has been pampered. It looks and runs as if it is virtually new - except for this one problem. The book value is around $16K. I really want to keep it, but the safety issue is a big problem.

What would you do in my case? Would you drive the vehicle or sell it? What recourse, if any, do I have with either the dealer or Volvo?

I have to make a decision in the next day or two.

Thanks!
  • ptz1ptz1 Member Posts: 1
    I've (now) been bitten by the trannie-bug (at 150km) and I'm from Canada.... so could you let me know where you've taken yours, to be repaired?

spike
  • jr01741jr01741 Member Posts: 3
    I have XC90 2005, 45,500 miles. This car completely locked down this morning in my garage. It does not move either way, even in neutral. Looks like a parking break is ON, although it's not. Does anyone have had similar experience? What could be a problem? I have never seen this kind of problem in any car.
  • laws65laws65 Member Posts: 69
    Spike,

I live in the states and took mine to a Volvo dealer called Gengras Motor Cars in East Hartford, CT.
    I would strongly recommend a Volvo dealer in case you have future problems after this.
    Good luck.

Lisa
  • ziekziek Member Posts: 2
    Hi jr01741,
    In answer to your question...YES! I could not go into reverse at all. It would not move...just like the parking break was on. After several attempts and needing to get out, I just put in into reverse and floored it until it moved back. It did so after buckling underneath...believe me it did not sound healthy. I took it to the dealer and this was just after an oil change and inspection, and told them about the problem. They checked it out on the lift and said they didn't see anything, but that maybe it was rust in the parking break or a rock which freed itself. Who knows? I'be been driving it now for 2 days and it seems ok...so good luck! Try it!
    Hi Ziek,
    That sounds very scary; but thanks for the tip. Make me feel a lot better. I will call an experienced volvo mechanic in town and try your method tomorrow. Keep me posted please.
  • wasagabeachwasagabeach Member Posts: 9
    Mine went at 126k, xc90t6, 2004. I had wonderful service at a shop in Collingwood, Ontario called: Baywash Auto. They completely replaced and improved on the transmission with better parts etc. for $1800.00. Runs like new now and 20% cooler than before. NA Volvo is shafting customers in this year of volvo and other years with transmissions from GM used in little wee light Sunbirds. They're a terrible replacement tranny in comparision with what Sweden originally offered. There's no way they can handle the weight and torque of an SUV of this size. No brainer but the $ dictates what's "reasonable" for these big auto players. Good luck!
  • barberfamilybarberfamily Member Posts: 11
    We just got rid of our xc90 not too long ago. transmission was replaced at 32 thousand miles and was already acting up again at 50 thousand miles. We took a bath on it and got 3 thousand less than we owed even though it was in mint condition. it was t6 model. watch out for your next transmission failure. I understand the stress some of you have gone through and just know hang in there and stay on there backs to cover this transmission.
    Hi Ziek,
    After talking to two mechanics, I decided to follow your suggestion. It worked!! Somewhat noisy and a little resistance; but it rolled out without any apparent damage. Thanks for an excellent suggestion. I will take the car to a mechanic shortly to check it up.
  • jbs05jbs05 Member Posts: 13
    Hey dunning -

Yes we had the meeting and am waiting to hear. Got the same crud from the rep about this being the way it "should" run. They had me test drive two other cars on the lot to prove that it does happen on other vehicles. If this is normal, I would think it would happen on ALL vehicles, not just the two they found. They are suposed to get back to me after talking with the engineers. It hangs in 4th at 1500rpms from 35 to 45 mphs. This is what they call lock-up, a gas-saving feature...yeah right.

Anyways, I as still fighting it since I do a lot of in-town driving at 35-45 mph and it drives me crazy.
  • hhay26hhay26 Member Posts: 1
    I am Heather Hayslett and I have a 2004 Volvo XC90. I love my SUV and am considering purchasing a newer model. I was driving my SUV 2 days ago and the vehicle seemed to get stuck in 3rd gear and would not accelerate. It eventually caught gear and was followed by a dashboard message of "Transmission Service Urgent". I drove and parked the SUV at my mother’s home immediately. The next morning I cranked the vehicle up, the service light was gone and I drove the car home with no issues. A few hours later, I drove the SUV to run an errand and the vehicle began to respond in the same manner as it did before and the service message returned. I decided to try and make it back to my mother’s home, which was nearby and park it. While stopped at an intersection the car would not move. I pressed the gas repeatedly and car would not accelerate. I put my hazard lights on and cut the vehicle off. Once I restarted, it moved into 1st gear but would not shift any further. After a series of cutting the engine off and on repeatedly, I was able to make it to my destination, which was about 2 miles away. I noticed on your site that other complaintents, from the U.S., Australia, and Canada received repair and service at no cost to them after contacting their local Volvo dealership as well as the Volvo customer care line. I have proceeded with my complaint in the same manner. I contacted my local dealership and i;m waiting for a response. I
  • bobvobobvo Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 XC-90 with 118,0000 miles. The idiot lights went on and said get immediately for service. Had it flatbedded to dealership. Service man said the code indicated transmision problem. He said needed to spend $4500 for complete installation of transmission. You know this car has had clangin and hesitation for a year. You tell the service people this and they of course can't find a problem until its now to late. Why would I want to spend $4500 for a new transmittion. The car is compromised. I can't believe these transmissions are any good. Service man says they will talk to Volvo, maybe they will give me an allowance since we service our car routinely. Yeah right. Anybody got any information for me, Thanks

Bob
  • joeiwmsjoeiwms Member Posts: 10
    Yes, definitely keep up with talking to Volvo corporate. I have a 2005 xc90 with over 100,000 miles and had the same problem with my car. They paid for all of it but $1000. I was grateful because I was quoted $6500. So don't give up. I'm sure they will help out.
  • brucem01brucem01 Member Posts: 1
    Hay sadabout, I just bought a 2004 xc90 t6 from Lithia in medford. All the post have now left me scared. It has 65000 miles and runs beautifully at this time (5 hrs into it)
    Do you think I need to return this thing now (as in its a ticking time bomb) or do you think its worth keeping. I did by an extended warranty with the purchase.
    Any input would be grateful
  • laura66laura66 Member Posts: 1
    Heather,
    The EXACT same situation happened with my 04 XC90. My car is currently in the shop awaiting a response from Volvo, as to whether or not they are going to provide some assistance with the cost of replacing the new transmission. I had all 4 of my kids in the car at the time, and was nearly hit from behind, when my car failed to accelerate at the traffic light.
    Good Luck
    Laura
  • volvonogoodvolvonogood Member Posts: 2
    Just took my wife car in today tranny went. 04 xc90 T6 . Almost got hit from behind when i was on my way to the dealer. Car would not accelerate had to pull over real quick because a truck was behind. Waiting on a response too. She is pretty upset she really like the car. Wanted to buy her a BMW X5 but that's what she liked. Because it's rated for safety and seats seven. It proves today that it's far from being safe.

ps. They wanted to charge me almost $7000 to replace it.
  • klk52klk52 Member Posts: 1
    Dropped off my 04 XC90 yesterday at the dealer. Received a call from the dealer that Volvo was taking care of the Transmission and also a new Radiator. No fuss, No hassles. I bought this car used 2 years ago because I thought it would be a reliable car that would last. I love the car and am glad that Volvo sees there is a problem and is taking care of it.
  • volvonogoodvolvonogood Member Posts: 2
    They are trying to tell me that they will only cover a third of the cost.
    Hi Everyone,

So, I'm one of the many unfortunate masses that is on my second transmission. I'm now being told I need new tie rod ends, this on a 2005? I thought I had seen some posts where other XC90 owners had major front end issues. Any of you still out there?

Lisa
  • badxc90badxc90 Member Posts: 1
    My 2nd transmission just went out on my 101000 mile XC90. first one was covered under the extended warranty plan and this one is about 1000 miles over. Dealer wants 7500.00 to replace would you happen to have contact infor for Volvo NW??
    HI,

I talked to Volvo myself this week to no avail on tie rods. But with the transmission, this is what I did.
    First, filed a complaint with Volvo on line
    Second, complaint to NTSB on line
    Third, complaint to Consumer Protection for my state
    Fourth, complaint to Atty General for my state-all on line.

Let Volvo know when I spoke to them that I was not happy again, as there was a recall on the ball joints-but she wouldn't budge. They are very aware of all the postings on this site due to all these issues. Keep bugging, and the more we all put in writing, the more I hope we make an impact-these cars shouldn't have these types of issues.
    Good luck

Lisa
  • brouha_habrouha_ha Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2010
    I'm going through the same problem that you did. My transmission cooler ruptured and there was cross talk between the cooling lines and the transmission. The result was shuddering and a strawberry milkshake in the overflow reservoir. Fortunately the dealer that sold me the vehicle is fixing it as a goodwill gesture as I had owned it for only a month. They really are stepping up for me and I appreciate it.

I was wondering if any of you that had this problem had any subsequent problems after getting this repaired. The Volvo dealer is going to replace the radiator and Transmission and I believe the lines between them. But this was scary. I think I need an extended warranty. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

2006 XC90 V8 w 50k miles
  • volvoinozvolvoinoz Member Posts: 2
    Hi Heather & Laura
    The exact same thing happened with my 2004 XC90 at about the same time except we are the other side of the world in australia. Did you have any luck with your complaint to Volvo? I am not happy as today on the way to its 105 000km service the "Transmission Service Urgent" went on again and I nearly had a car ride into the back of me when I failed to accelerate going around a traffic circle! Every time I stopped I didn't know if I would get going again!
    Deb
    http://www.edmunds.com/media/townhall/webxicons/emotorcons/emo_frown.gif
  • volvoinozvolvoinoz Member Posts: 2
    ps they said we need a new transmission at AU$7500 so i'm really not happy!
  • goldentixgoldentix Member Posts: 13
    I bought a brand new 2004 Volvo XC 90 and my first transmission crapped out at only 15,000 miles. So I got a brand new transmission. And then....at 35,000 miles that one crapped out again. Once again, a new transmission. I only have 51,000 miles on my car now but my extended warranty is going to end next year and it's already paid for one transmission. Bottom line....I traded in the car today because I feel certain I will need another transmission again based on what's already happened to me. And I certainly don't want to risk spending $6,000 to $10,000 more on a transmission on a car that is already devalued due to the transmission problem. I am losing money on my trade-in, and my dealer said "it would be worth probably $4,000 more if it wasn't known to have a transmission problem."

Ironically, I have traded it for the Volvo XC60 as I loved everything about the Volvo except for the transmission and there have been no problems I have heard about with the XC 60.

And the bottom line is that, with only 51,000 miles on the car, I absolutely would have kept the XC 90 it except that I didn't want to risk paying for a new transmission which I felt certain I would do based on it's history (and note that I only did flat road and freeway driving---never did anything unusual with the car).
    :sick:
  • tomv4tomv4 Member Posts: 1
    I just had my transmission and radiator and lines all replaced free in Portland Or said there was a computer problem with the shifting but I was glad i did not pay anything with 88,000 miles. I also had my tie rods done about 3,000 miles free there must of been some kind of problem but I am having some tie rod problems again and they don't want to fix them again? I love the car but I wish it got better gas mileage. Tomv4
  • maggie44maggie44 Member Posts: 1
    I had the same surprising experience. My 2005 XC 90 with 84K miles needed a new transmission and radiator. The price quoted was $6700. I asked my service advisor to call the regional sales manager to see what Volvo would contribute. I also called Volvo USA at 800-458-1552 and they opened a "case." The rep at Volvo USA told me Volvo was aware there was a problem with the T6 transmission and if the car had under 100K miles, "Volvo would do the right thing." She was right. Without any arguing or haggling on my part, Volvo is paying for 100% of the new transmission. I was dealing with Superior Volvo in Kansas City. It is part of the Hendricks automotive group. Good luck to everyone else.
  • kschnitzkschnitz Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2005 XC90 with about the same mileage. My transmission has been showing problems for about a year now but it just keeps on trucking! Volvo has checked it out twice now and has even replicated the problem but says they can't do anything until the "trasmission urgent" light comes on...which it hasn't!! Did you expereience problems leading up to your transmission failure? Did you get a "transmission urgent" code when your transmission failed? I'm just worried with the mileage that they I will go beyone 100,000 and they won't fix the problem.
  • kimnjackkimnjack Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2004 XC90 (93,0000 miles) that has given us intermittent transmission problems over the last 2 years. The dealership had not been able to replicate the problem until recently. We were out of town in a torrential rain storm and on our way home, the car would not shift out of 3rd gear. We finally gunned the engine and it shifted and we made our way home. The dealership diagnosed the problem and said we needed a new transmission--the cost over $5000. We contacted Volvo after reading about the extensive widespread transmission problem. They agreed to pay for the parts if we covered the labor. After having my car for over 3 weeks, we finally got it back and it's performing well. It was definately undriveable and scary before it was repaired. I would be interested in learning why Volvo hasn't recalled the transmission and is replacing them all for free. However, the manager told me to keep my receipt and if they ever do recall the transmissions, I'll get my $1200 back.
  • maltesqmaltesq Member Posts: 1
    My XC90 has 101K miles and the transmission just went with no warning except the dreaded message "Transmission Service Urgent".. It would seem to me that the message would better read "$7,500 repair ahead". My dealer offered us a slight discount on the repair and I filed a complaint with Volvocare. No response yet. Given the enormous issues with the XC90 transmissions, I'm surprised no one has filed a lawsuit against the manufacturer for defective engineering design.
  • jsw66jsw66 Member Posts: 2
    I am a single mom with a transmission that has just died on my 2005 XC90 at only 65,000K. I have called Volvo USA and they said I had to start with the dealership. Do you still have any of the information or contacts that helped you with this? I bought this car thinking it would last me years and now I am in this nightmare!
  • jsw66jsw66 Member Posts: 2
    i am seeing several people state that their transmission problem was taken care of at no cost. Where was yours replaced??
  • kimnjackkimnjack Member Posts: 2
    When I filed a claim with Volvo, my major complaint was that I had problems with the transmission several services before the warranty ran out. They checked with the dealership and confirmed this so they agreed to pay for the parts. I think if we didn't have problems earlier, they may not have been so generous.
  • wxparadox76wxparadox76 Member Posts: 1
    I too am having the problems with the 2004 XC90. I bought this for my wife in April, before I left for Iraq ,as it was supposed to be a great family car and we needed the room for our upcoming baby. Unfortunately about 2 months later the transmission started crapping out. I contacted Volvo NA, even though we are in Germany, since the vehicle was purchased through Military Car Sales. They are trying to help me as much as they can. We are waiting on the results of the Service Center test. If it states that we need a new transmission then Volvo will investigate. It's frustrating though since I am stuck in Iraq and my wife is 2 weeks from childbirth. The Service Center tech said it would cost between 5-6,000 EURO to replace if we need a new transmission. It will probably be the last Volvo I ever buy.
  • partypunterpartypunter Member Posts: 2
    My story is similar to everyone else's here. "Transmission Service Urgent" light came on a few days ago in my 2005 Volvo XC 90. Car has about 64,000 miles on it. Went to the dealer (in Minneapolis). Luckily they will fix at no charge. They are replacing the transmission and the radiator. Apparently the radiator causes the transmission failure. We got lucky this time, but who knows how long the new transmission will last.
  • partypunterpartypunter Member Posts: 2
    One law firm is apparently considering a class action suit, take a look at http://chimicles.com/case/volvo-xc90-transmission
  • birddogsixbirddogsix Member Posts: 1
    SSDD... Our story is eerily similar. We bought this car thinking we were buying a rock solid machine... This is our second Volvo and I'm terribly disappointed. We were on our way to the beach and the "Transmission Service Urgent" light came on. The transmission was stuck in third. It was a bad start to the vacation... We had the car towed to the dealer and took our other car to the beach. The Dealer didn't get the car on the lift until Tuesday. We got the same call that many others here have gotten, "You need a new transmission and Volvo is taking care of it." To be honest... After this is fixed, I'm seriously thinking of getting rid of it. My wife loves the car, but we're not going through this time and time again.
  • mplsawdmplsawd Member Posts: 1
    Kudos to Lisa (Laws65) and this forum......

I have an '04 XC90 T6 with 135k in the shop needing it's THIRD transmission.
    Same saga as prior posts - Urgent Tran service light came on. But we did NOT get stranded.
    Quote was nearly $7k with the radiator(oil cooler), lines and trans.
    Great News - Volvo has agreed to pay for it less $130 diag/ and $250 deduct.

THANKS and a big RAVE for Volvo for standing behind the XC90 and doing the right thing. Volvo Customer Care (Ann) 800-458-1552.
    There are a number of factors in my favor which likely led to this positive result, but anyway you slice it - it's pretty cool Volvo would step in to fix a 6 year old car with 135k miles.

+ the car was purchased at a dealership as a certified used car with about 40k.
    + majority of service has been done at dealership.
    + we were considering a trade at time of tranny problems.
    + DON'T BE SNARFY with the service techs and customer care reps.

The first tranny started acting up at 84k. Volvo/Dealership paid for replacement (in 2008) less $130 diag fee. The did not replace the cooler/lines as I only had the "covered" work done at that time. They were not going to pay for replacement of the cooler/lines, so only the transmission was replaced.

Since 2008, there have been a couple service bulletins posted to the dealers where it is now required to replace the lines and the trans cooler whenever the transmission is replaced. It helped to be aware of this because I asked the service manager why the cooler/lines were not replaced the first time - it was because it wasn't required at the time - only "recommended". Well if I knew it would have cause a second trans failure within two year - i would have followed the original recommendation. But since (in 2008) it was still under the 100k CPO warranty - I let Volvo do whatever was covered.

So rant for having to deal with the transmission issues - but like I said - thankfully it didn't leave us stranded. We were able to get home and drive to the dealership.

RAVE to Borton & Volvo for fixing again.
  • ilovedmyvolvoilovedmyvolvo Member Posts: 1
    I am having the exact same problem. That horrible "transmission service urgent" message appeared while driving home. I have a 2003 XC90 with 109,000 miles. Prior to this issue, I have sunk $3,000 into the car in the last 3 months. That included the 105,000 service, where the timing belt needed replaced, the clogged sunroof had to be repaired & the brake pads & rotors were replaced. Next came the "breather box". Now my transmission. I'm looking at a $6,500 repair.
    Now, Volvo has agreed to pay for half of the cost. Since I found this website & starting reading the posts, my question is, "should I accept their offer or try to get the entire thing paid for?" My situation is the same as yours; the car was certified pre-owned by Volvo, purchased at a Volvo dealership and all maintainence & service has been done at the dealership.
    I have access to attorneys at no cost. Should I get a lawyer involved. Any advise would be greatly apprecieted.

HJM
    Good for you, and great job! If we all keep doing the same thing, maybe we will eventually get a recall. Don't give up, just keep going!
    Congrats!

Lisa
  • nick91nick91 Member Posts: 1
    We had exactly the same problem (though we live in the Middle East) at 45,000 miles and were quoted $8,000 + labour to replace the transmission. Volvo initially offered a 30% discount then 50% and now 95% after we approached group customer services in Sweden (gcr@volvo.com). Total cost is now basically for labour and is about $1000. It is worth keeping on at them as we got a call from the dealer with good news within 12 hours of approaching Volvo directly. They know the car is a dud and hopefully will do the right thing.

Keep it polite and I am sure you will get a good response.
  • tb92625tb92625 Member Posts: 1
    i got the dreaded "Transmission Service Urgent" light @ 85K miles. I took it to the local Volvo dealership in So Cal, and they gave me an estimate of $7,100 to replace the transmission, radiator, and lines. I found this forum and mentioned these comments to the dealer and told them I was looking for help from Volvo Corp.

Within one day, they told me that Volvo Corp approved the repair at basically no cost to me.

Thanks for all the help and feedback. If I had not found these posts, i would have never thought to ask for then cover the costs to replace the tranny.

I am happy to see that Volvo is standing behind their product.
  • bamabetzbamabetz Member Posts: 3
    Just bought a 2003 XC90 T6 with 118k miles, no warranty, no CPO of course, and was wondering if anyone has had theirs successfully replaced and covered at little or no charge with no warranty. Is volvo considering this a "recall" or "defective" product and taking care of the problem. Also I have put less than 100 miles on this one myself, sold as is......

A little more history:

1. After doing a few things to it I noticed that the display on the left had been covered with electrical tape so who knows how long it has been showing the "Service Transmission Urgent".

2. I noticed some fluid coming from the left front CV axel and pulled it apart hoping to replace the seal and fix the problem. I was wrong, It was the actual CV axel which was shattered and I am in the middle of replacing it with OEM parts I will have in Monday.

3. Only once has it slipped. When it did this the battery was almost dead and the AC, windows and radio all stopped working at the same time. The transmission has not slipped at all after the new battery, which has only been about 10 miles.

Please Please Please reply back or PM me if you have any helpful info.
  • bamabetzbamabetz Member Posts: 3
    I was just wondering how many miles you had on your at the time of the service and if you had any warranty?