Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volvo XC90 T6 Transmission

Comments

• I can not get the Key out of my ignition Car is in park brake applied won't come out . Wiggled key, steering wheel, shifter nothing works only way have to get out of the car and not have dead battery is to remove fuse to the Ignition and lock door with another set of keys . any ideas ?
    I did leave my sunroof open and interior got wet could this be the cause and what needs to get replaced?

some months ago dealer did replace a nylon assembly in the shifter that was causing similar problem but could always jiggle the key and it would come out.
  • dawn,
    i have a 2001xc70 that has had transmission issues that goes way back. :D i wanted to learn more about "goodwill " agreement ..option. how it applies and to what.. do you have any ideas where to learn about it ?

is it with volvo north america directly or specifically your dealer.

by the way, i'm in virginia beach, va
  • Sorry to hear about your ignition problem. I too had the same problem which only got progressively worse until I had to relace the whole key ignition cartridge assembly. . Rather costly of course. This occured at approx. 100K. Following this, the transmission needed replacing at approx. 126K. This volvo model looks great and rides the same but leaves much to be desired in comparison to the kind of dependability older and more reputable volvos used to be known for. Enjoy it while you and it last.
  • I am on a 3rd transmission and is also experiencing the clunking sound. My Volvo dealer service says it is the rack in pinion steering unit. The XC 90 T6 looks good and drives good but I strongly suggest you stay away from this model.
  • My XC 90T6 had a similar problem. Ignition switch was hard to turn and key was difficult to remove. The problem showed up at about 96k. It was a costly repair and the dealer had to order from Sweden. To date the tally is: 3 transmissions, 1 ignition switch unit, clunking steering and just last week a leaking chain drive unit. :mad:
  • But this forum scares me. What year and models are effected by this tranny issue?? Is it just the T6?
  • jbs05jbs05 Posts: 13
    I have on 05 and had the transmission replaced last month at 42k. I am still having issues with it in that it does not downshift to a lower gear when needed. It is locked into 4th gear even at 25 MPH. Volvo says this is normal though I am having my regular mechanic check into it. Volvo says if I don't like it, to drive the car manually. I have no problem with drving the car manually but should not be forced to when purchasing an automatic.
  • No new tranny for me- ended up being a mis-firing solenoid. My warranty covered it, minus the $200 deductible and fluids. I do know that my Volvo guy said it was 9 hours of labor- and he doesn't charge for the diagnostics, but I can only imagine what that bill would have been. Rotors and brakes, too, but I descend 1600 feet daily on a windy mountain road, so they would get eaten up in any car. I love my T6, and will probably hold onto it until one of the kids is old enough to drive it, but I will ALWAYS pay to renew the warranty. Hindsight would be to go with a V8 instead. Too bad.
  • jbs05jbs05 Posts: 13
    Out of curiousity, what warranty do you have that you can renew it for ??? years? I have the extended warranty but I put on a lot of yearly miles so I never reach the time limit. I have only had this car for a year, bought it used with 30k and have added almost 16k this year. I would love to keep the car but am concerned at what happens after the warranty if gone.
  • Hi There,

I bought a 2005 XC90-T6 last December, now it's down with the tranny problem.

I am in Oakville, Ontario. Volvo dealer quoted me $7500 for a new tranny. Can you please give me the details of your mechanic in your area.
  • laws65laws65 Posts: 64
    Hi,

I'm in the USA, Ct. to be exact, so I'm not sure if all my tactics will work for you. I would still reach out to the National Transportation Safety Board, and Volvo complaints on line. As stated by many others, as well as myself, Volvo is doing "Good Will" gestures of either full tranny payment or partial-anything is better than nothing at all. Good luck and keep us all posted on how you do! I wish you the best of luck!

Lisa
    laws65@sbcglobal.net
  • Hi i got a big problem i need to dismantle or fix a transmission for a VOLVO XC90 i need a diagram of everypart of the motor or transmission i will really appreciated if anyone can help me on this matter im searching everywhere no sucess thanks :
  • Hi premach. Just contact: Baywash Auto: 2880 Sixth Line, Collingwood,ON. Very reasonable and dependable family run operation.
    Cheers,
    Wasaga Beach
  • My service transmission urgent light came on 3 days ago. After reading all of the messages on this site and others, I was very discouraged. I have a 2004 Volvo XC90 with 97,300 miles. I bought the car 2 1/2 years ago. It was pre-owned when I bought it. My husband towed it to the nearest dealership 2 1/2 hours away today, and was told it would need a new transmission and radiator -- $6500.00. I called Volvo USA and spoke with a wonderful customer service rep. who said she would open a file and let me know something within a couple of days. Two hours later she called to say that Volvo would pay 100% of the repair cost! There are a lot of stories on here that did not turn out well, so I wanted to post one that had. Hope this gives encouragement to others on this message board looking for some answers.
  • Hi jbs 095-

My warranty was offered to me by Citibank, who holds our loan. I researched the tranny problems after I had a fluid spill last Dec in the middle of a raging snowstorm, and they scared the bejeezus out of me. I got the offer in the mail about a week later, which gave me 45 k of coverage for approx $3500 and figured that if it covered the tranny, and a new one would cost $6500, that I'd come out ahead or at least have the peace of mind at 0% financing, which I would never get if I had to charge a new tranny. So I bit, and the tranny repairs I just experienced ran $2000 from my Volvo guy. Because I envision still that I will need a complete new tranny at some point in time, I will keep renewing. I've heard of other people getting them through their insurance companies as well. Volvo USA probably would not have covered the solenoid, and because we're a good hour from any dealership and I love my Volvo guy, it just seemed easier. Peace of mind is priceless, especially for $160 bucks a month.
  • Hello Lisa,
    I'm reading about all the problems xc90 owners are having and I'm afraid that I might fall into their nightmare. So I would like to prepare myself. I have downloaded all the recalls from safecar.gov on the xc90 and I would like the info or contact person at Volvo USA corp.
    I would like to tip my hat to you and mr Green for all the help you have been providing to the people on the Edmunds car forum.

Thank You

Jared Miller
    2004 xc90 appx. 95K miles
  • Hello,
    do you have the contact at Volvo Corp. or the # you called? This fourm is scaring me, that we bought the wrong car?

ty

Jared
  • On December 10, 2009, the dreaded Transmission Service Urgent message appeared on my console. Luckily, and just barely, I was able to limp the car home. The next morning, I called Volvo North America, LLC (800-458-1552) asking for their Goodwill consideration for the repairs. They were very sympathetic and opened a file.

I then had the car towed to my local service department: Nalley Volvo in Marietta, GA. Upon arrival, I explained to the service advisor that I knew about the history of transmission failure on this vehicle (only because I had stumbled upon this forum; but, not before I bought the car—darn it), and that I had already contacted Volvo NA for assistance.

I waited for 2 hours while they diagnosed the problems. Once, they came back to me asking for permission to perform a $250 diagnostic test to determine if glycol was present in the transmission fluid. It was. The final verdict was that the car needed a new radiator and a new transmission!

Anyway, this story has a happy ending, because the repairs were almost entirely covered under Goodwill or Warranty, which is how they listed it on the invoice. However, I did “participate” in $952.45 of the repair costs, which I considered a bargain.

Although I did not ask (I know not to look a gift horse in the mouth), I am sure that the repairs were easily $10,000. The parts list alone was a full page long, and the labor hours must have been in the double digits.

Also, my Volvo is not under warranty. It is a pre-owned, trade-in that I purchased from a Toyota dealership. So, go figure. Miracles do happen.

Anyway, after this scare, and knowing what I now know about the vehicle, I am looking to purchase an extended warranty for when this happens again. Does anyone out there know of a good, honest company in this business?
  • shaforgacs,
    I will be going thru the same thing Mon. and I already made calls to warranty co. and the price was coming back around $2,000 - 3,000 for 36 mts. thank you for your story. everyone pray for me ;) I'll ley you know what happens

oh-volvo
    Jared
  • I drove to the dealer and 5 hrs later I was told that I need a new tran. and it cost me $150 for the info. I've given them all the main. records and I'm waiting to hear from them. :sick: