Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volvo XC90 T6 Transmission

Comments

• Hi,

I'm from Asia and the local distributor is not supporting the replacement for the transmission for the T6 the way its unfolding in USA.

As precautionary measure, I'm searching for rebuilders to supply rebuild kits and parts to strengthen the GM transmission found the the XC90 T6.

Anyone with contact or recommendations do drop me a message, many thanks!

Bernard
  • We are having the same problem. I was wondering if you have a number for corporate. Our dealer is not willing to give anything like that out or work with us on the 2 transmission replacement cost, and they have been one's that have done all the repairs and maintenance on our car. Thank You for any help you can give us.
  • The number for Volvo corporate is 1-800-458-1552. I hope this helps. I was told when you call to be nice and also say you would or plan to buy Volvo in the future. Otherwise if you are a dissatisfied customer and would never return to Volvo they are less likely to take you into consideration.
  • Also make sure to let them know you have done ALL your maintenance with the dealer. They take that into consideration as well. Your dealer should have reported your problem to the local rep and they would take each case into consideration.
  • I just bought a XC90 t6 from a used car dealer. Three weeks later my transmission failed! I am so mad! I traded in a good running car and they gave me a car with a failing transmission. Three weeks after I bought it the service transmission light came on. Later that day the car started shuttering and 3rd gear would not engage. Now my car is sitting at the dealer, waiting for them to see what the problem is. I know it is the transmission and pray they fix it. I have a family of 7, 2 of witch are developmentally disabled that live in my home that I take care of. Now I have no way to take everyone out and hope that I do not loose my job over it. My heart goes out to all that have suffered the way I am at this time.
  • laws65laws65 Posts: 64
    Hi,

Sorry to hear of your troubles. Depending on the state you live in and the price you paid for it, there is a state law of a certain number of days of warranty-Connecticut is 30 or 60 days-again depending on the price and age of car-I believe.

There have been over a dozen of us that have professionally appealed to certain parties and thankfully received new transmissions at no cost. I'll hope the best for you and your family and if you look at my prior posts, I've outlined what you can do-as my goal is to empower others and hope Volvo helps us all.

Best of luck and feel free to reply should you need more help.
    Take care.

Lisa
  • christchurchchristchurch Posts: 125
    edited March 2010
    After reading countless posts regarding faulty, defective transmissions, it appears that they all seem to occur in 2005 and earlier modal years.

This would "square" with my understanding that Volvo redesigned the transmission for 2006 which corrected the earlier years inherent weaknesses.

The "track record" satisfaction reports for 2006 appear very good....look at Edmunds ratings which shows that transmissions get high marks or, at least, not a significant issue for 2006 .

Any knowledge or comment on this ?
    Thanks!
  • joeiwmsjoeiwms Posts: 10
    I was just wondering if you talked to Volvo corporate and was able to resolve anything yet? I hope they were willing to help pay for some of it.
    I found out this is true. Volvo went back to improved to a six gear tronic, something like that-that could handle the tourque of this engine. They even have gotten rid of the turbo's in the v6's stating the car doesn't need it-wonder if that has to do with the standard transmission too.
    Hopefully, if Volvo is smart, they are replacing ours with the newer version. I asked and the Volvo salesman didn't know.

Lisa
    laws65@sbcglobal.net
    Billymac6,

Very interesting b/c I went to my local Volvo Dealer in CT, where I even worked as a teenager, trying to see what I could get on my 2005 XC90 for a trade in, based on the shape. I test drove the XC70 Cross Country Wagon, as I loved my old one. The transmission did the same thing. It was a V6, non turbo, as I was told it isn't standard anymore as they had too many problems with it. When I stepped on the gas, the car seemed to slip into gear at a higher than expected rpm. When I mentioned it to the salesman, he said, it's the way the newer transmissions are and I'm probably just used to my XC90 one now-what a joke. I'm beginning to wonder if once Volvo switched and switches over more and more of their parts to Ford the bigger the issues will be!
    Good luck!

Lisa
  • Thank you for your post in response to my comment.
    Actually, I have found my XC90 to be a terrific vehicle .... wonderful driving characteristics and, of course, the confidence of Volvo safety.
    I have only had a few service issues - AWD loss and upper suspension arm replacement beside the typical tire wear,of course. (I am driving on Bridgestones after Pirelli and Michelins) I have also been careful to have tires rotated and balanced and periodic 4 wheel alignments which has really helped.
    In sum, the XC90 is perfect for me in comparison to others.
    Hope your expience, too, has been and continues to be a good one. :)
  • ashepashep Posts: 2
    Sign me up for a Class Action!!! We purchased two 2004 XC90s and both have needed new transmissions. The first was covered under warrenty but the second car was not and the dealer fully acknowledges the large amount of transmission failures. Then top it off with the $750 bill just to diagnose the problem and then gave us a $10,000 estimate to repair. Since then I have been inquiring; if you own a 2003 or 2004 XC90 it has had the transmission replaced once or several times! The dealership told us our car was not driveable, "The engine was falling apart". They quoted the value of our car at $1,000-$2,000 in its current condition or $10,000 with repairs. That's the cost of their bill to fix it! I have since taken the car to other experts and had free estimates with a repair bill of $3600.
    Sign me up!
  • ashepashep Posts: 2
    typical of volvo not to fess up... you need a new transmission
  • jbs05jbs05 Posts: 13
    A friend convinced me to call corporate.

I did. This was over the problem of the "lock-up" when the car should shift from 3rd to second. This only started occuring after the "new" transmission in my car.

I was called back by my Volvo dealer and had another ride-a-long with the Mgr and head mechanic. The head mechanic knew the problem since he has driven with me previously. We were easily able to replicate the problem numerous times. They are now trying to see if this is happening on any other T6 xc90s. If they can't then my car will go in the shop for who knows how long. Luckily I get a loaner.

I have not heard on this board anyone else who has this problem.
  • lspodlspod Posts: 4
    Hi -
    I am new to this, and somehow could not find if anyone responded to your request for extended warranty info. I have a 2004 XC90 - 64k miles, and I too am thinking about buying an ext warranty. Any luck with advice? Volvo dealership quoted me yesterday a full coverage for $2422 - 3 yr, 36k, with $250 deductible . Sounds high, but I am not up on this subject!! Thanks so much
  • I just got my xc90 back from the dealer with a new tranny, radiator and connecting parts. I just had to pay a $600 "deductable" Just to let everyone know, I had just bought the car from a used car dealer and the tranny died 3 weeks later. I thought there was no way volvo would pay for it. I called my local dealer and at first they said they had not heard of volvo paying. I called up volvo NW headquaters, got my local service departments managers name and said they needed to cantact the regional service rep. Two days later they were putting new stuff in with just my $600 deductable. My car is a 2004 xc90 t6 with 86000K. It will be up for sale soon if anyone is interested. Come on it has a new and improved tranny!!! LOL Fight the power! Get them to cover it!
  • rrsasserrrsasser Posts: 1
    I wish I had seen this blog when I had to replace my 2005 XC90 T6 transmission. I did not take it to the dealership because of the cost and because it was out of warranty (72,000 miles). My volvo now has 90,000 miles and still shifts incorrectly, gets stuck in drive, which makes me force it into neutral (when stopped) so that I can then shift it in either park or reverse. I've also had the "engine service" message this blog has talked about and the many annoying noises. Has anyone else had the plastic on the sides of the seats crack and break off? And we aren't large people. These cracks rip pants and sweaters. This is first volvo I've ever owned and I guarantee the last! If I can only get rid of it. Everything is an expensive repair. And I too have to replace the tires way too frequently, and the brakes will break you! I did find the class action suit on the transmission, just google it and you will find the website for the lawyers email and phone numbers. I will be calling.
    I'm so glad to know that my volvo isn't the only one with these problems, that I'm not the cause. These constant noises and creaks can make one wonder.
    Volvo should have a longer warranty than 50,000 miles like everybody else.
  • niccolewniccolew Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I'm in the PDX area also. I'm just beginning my quest to get this tranny covered. I was wondering if you have had any luck. thanks.
  • dunningdunning Posts: 4
    Add me to the list of T6 owners with failed transmissions. :sick: Just bought our'03 XC90 T6 with 56K miles last month and 1700 miles later, Transmission Service Urgent. I probably had about 20-25 miles of it 'screwing up' before it gave out, but thanks to all of you (and the power of the internet) I knew I would be in BIG trouble if I didn't shell out the extra $3500 for the extended warranty which I have never done before.
    Will update with how things go when I find out more!

~Faith
  • palkardotpalkardot Posts: 2
    edited March 2010
    104,000 miles. They want $6,600 to do trans, radiator etc. If it had happened at 99,999 they would pay 100% because they know this trans was faulty. Regional sales rep offered to pay $1000, leaving me only $5600. lol. At this point I'm going to have it towed to my house and leave it in my front yard with all the info I have so other buyers who stop and look see know not to buy Volvo. How does a vehicle sell for $45,000 die at 104,000 miles?