Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volvo XC90 T6 Transmission

Comments

• My 2005 XC90 T6 Volvo had 128k miles when the 2nd transmission went out and Volvo reluctantly picked up the cost of the parts and charged me the warranty labor costs after I contacted Volvo Corporate service center at 1-800-458-1552. I can't remember who I spoke to but I remember someone on the forum suggested to ask for Betty as she is understanding. Do not initially tell them that your car is over 100k miles, just convey to her that Volvo needs to pick up the cost and you don't have the money to cover the new transmission. Also, you are aware of the problems with the transmission in these cars.
    My initial costs after the call was $1700; however, I suggested to my service rep to apply a 10% discount (coupon) so my cost was ~$1500. I still was not a happy camper as I believe Volvo should have picked up the cost at 100% as they told me that their repair method had changed since they replaced my last transmission. However, it was better than 7K they quoted me before I made the call. My repair was done at the Volvo of Dallas. Good luck!!!!
  • smokin6smokin6 Posts: 9
    Sorry to hear of your problem. I think you are out of luck if this is your first tranny. However, I have heard that if you call VOLOVO USA corporate customer service and ask for BETTY and play the game as if you cannot afford this repair. Let her know that you know this is a problem with many Volovos. See if you can get anywhere. Good luck--I wish I could be of more help. Do not let Betty know your car has more than 100,000 miles on it. I am not a fun of leaving material facts out--but Volvo has not been the best stuard of telling the whole truth about this repair and dealing with the solution fairly with all who have had to deal with their lack of standing behind the product they sell as reliable and high quality.
  • jimddijimddi Posts: 11
    You have to be tough and hang in there. Eventually VOLVO should replace the transmission for free. If not, stay in touch with us and we will give other information.
  • flowers6flowers6 Posts: 1
    My husband and I are looking to purchase the 2005 Volvo XC90 - V8, the mileage on the SUV is @ 110,000 miles priced at $17,000CDN. Would this be a good purchase? Is it priced too high? This is a big purchase and want to ensure we are making the right decision.

Thxs
    F
  • Personally, I would invest in something other than a Volvo XC90 as the maintenance costs are enormous on these cars. I am not familiar with the XC90 V8 maintenance records; however, my 2005 XC90 T6 transmission has been replaced twice, new tires replaced every year, and etc. are just a few repairs that are normal repairs for the vehicle.
  • I bought a used 04' xc90 t6 about a year ago, and I think my transmission is about to fail. I am slipping while in 3rd gear. Will volvo help pay to repair even if i bought used?
  • overit1overit1 Posts: 1
    DON'T DO IT!! Not only is it priced to high... It is already at it's life's peak. Repairs are very expensive, no one offers a warranty after 50k and given the manufacturers reputation.. it is likely to have major problems soon, if not already. I have an 04' with 70k and just like everyone else that tried to warn me, my transmission is starting to slip. Other than that major issue and a bunch of other little annoying problems.. it was a great vehicle for my family and i to travel in. Don't know how as of yet.. but i have got to get rid of it!
  • I have a 2004 Volvo XC90 T6 with 94,000 miles. Tranny just went out. AAA would only tow it to one of their approved shops which saw that the tranny fluid was black. Told me I need a new Transmission. I saw theses posts and decided to call Turner Volvo in Sacramento. The guy there told me Volvo will pay for the new transmission if it's under 100,000 mi and I have service records. I have lived an hour away from a dealer for sev years and told him that I went to a local shop to get the cars oil changes/services. I do not have service records. Has anyone been approved for Volvo to take on the cost without the service records? I can't afford $6,500. He said that in the past people w/o svc records have had it covered but they are now tightening up their policy. Any info would help.
  • deedevadeedeva Posts: 4
    Volvo replaced our transmission (74,000 miles) last month in Virginia, and they did not request any service records. I'm not sure what difference service records make if they produced and installed a faulty transmission in our vehicles. You should not pay anything out of pocket. If you don't have luck with that dealership, try another or contact Volvo directly.
  • Thank you so much for replying. Could you tell me the name of the dealership or the factory rep so that if I am denied 100% coverage I can advise them that I know they are picking and choosing whom they will cover? I am just sick over this whole thing. I completely agree that they should cover everything due to their lack of quality parts.
  • We also have a 2004 XC90 T6. At 73K miles, we received the Transmission Service Urgent light come on. We took it into Tom Wood Volvo in Indy. They hooked it up to the diagnostics and said that the code indicated that we would need a new transmission. As you can imagine, we were extremely nervous as a new transmission would be 6-7K. Not something the average person has handy... Our great service rep at Tom Wood mentioned that their Volvo Corporate rep in some cases will reimburse people in this situation but that every case is different. Some people have to pay for service with the parts covered and get no assistance. About 3-4 days after bringing the car in, we received a call from from our rep saying that Volvo Corp would cover 100% of the costs including a new transmission (with new models). We were absolutely delighted. My advice to everyone would be to mention that you are aware of the issues and that you are fully informed and be assertive. Volvo is very aware of the problems with the old transmissions and in my opinion are doing everything short of a recall.
  • deedevadeedeva Posts: 4
    Sorry I missed your reply. We dealt with Don Beyer Volvo in Northern Virginia. Good luck to you.
  • janmor2janmor2 Posts: 3
    I am in Australia and have a xc90 T6 with transmission failure at only 116,000KM (approx 70,000 miles) I purchased new from Silverstone Volvo in Doncaster. The "transmission service urgent" light came on then as I was driving through an intersection the car slowed nearly causing myself and my children to be killed! My car has been off road for over a month while I fight with the dealer. Who has offered to fix for $1,500. They will not reimburse me for the $200 cost to tow the vehicle or the cost of a hire car for over a month.
    You would think Volvo would bend over backwards after their reprehensible behavior of not recalling these defective vehicles. What a disgrace!
    SHAME SHAME SHAME!
  • This happened to me at approx. 80,000klms 2 years ago. The local dealer wouldnt do anything but I contacted Head Office Volvo in Sydney and they looked after the replacement after some discussion and pushing on my part. They tried to pretend it wasnt a regular issue until I started mentioning the well documented chat room discussions. I contacted the NRMA & RACQ and both agreed that a car of this price and reputation should not have this issue at this low mileage but werent prepared to do anything. I also mentioned their comments in my discussions with Volvo HO.
    I eventually agreed to pick up the cost of the service which cost me $1200. total and Volvo paid for the parts but the dealer gave me a loan XC90 for 3 weeks while they did the repair. In the end I was happy and I have just traded the XC90 for a XC60 Diesel which I love. Good Luck Leah
  • 72tiger72tiger Posts: 1
    Volvo has agreed to replace my 2004 XC90 T6 transmission at no cost, but the dealer is charging me $600 because he says it needs a new axle. There is nothing wrong with the current axle but I was told the replacment transmission is larger. Has anyone else had this issue? It makes little sense to me that I shoud have to pay.
  • I suggest you get a second opinion from another Volvo dealer or the car clubs do a check of cars, I think. I would also discuss this with Volvo who have agreed to replace the transmission. Our local Volvo dealer wouldnt agreed to do the replacement. Volvo H/O asked me to have the work done in Brisbane, 1hr drive away. Sounds like the local dealer is trying to recoup some extra value. Have never read any reports about the axle needing to be replaced.
    Good luck.
    Silverstone Volvo in Doncaster Australia are forcing me to pay $1000 upfront after fighting with me for over a month over the repair cost. So after getting the cost down to $1500, I have to pay 67% upfront before they will commence work. Why these dangerous vehicles were not recalled is beyond me. Why hasn't there been class action in Australia? All Volvo are trying to do is pretend there is no problem.
  • Agree Volvo is trying to make out its not an issue and just deal with each complaint one at a time.
    Make sure you get Volvo Head Office involved the local dealers dont wont the issue and cost so are very reluctant to give much away as they still need to pay for their staff to do the work.

Volvo Australia is the one that should be hassled by everyone that has this problem not the local dealer.
    Unfortunately, class action lawsuits are not as easier as in the USA and it would cost huge amounts of $'s and time unless you contact an ambulance chaser lawyer, no cost no win, and then most of the win goes in legal fees. I certainly dont wont to take a law suit on for the next 5 years of my life.
    Silverstone Volvo may be bullying me into paying $1500 plus $200 for tow truck not to mention cost of hire car. Plus depreciation of resale value, also as I only drive 19,000 km per year effectively my replacement transmission
    is only guaranted for 1 year or 19,000Km in my case. Why should we be out of pocket one cent for mistakenly purchasing these defective T6 vehicles and thinking we were buying a safe car to transport our children. The dealer sold me the car so the onus is on him as consumer affairs advised me.
    Why are some dealers covering 100% of costs and providing loan vehicles to restore their reputation, yet others want to fight you all the way.
  • jimddijimddi Posts: 11
    Don't give in. Refuse to pay anything. Are you under 100,000 miles? If "yes" Volvo will pay for the replacement.