Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volvo XC90 T6 Transmission

Comments

• deedevadeedeva Posts: 4
    The new axle doesn't sound right. We did not need to have a new axle with our new transmission. They should pay 100% of all parts and service related to the new transmission. If what they are telling you is true, and it is larger, they need to pay for that too. You wouldn't need a new axle if the transmission wasn't faulty, right? Get another opinion at a different dealer if you can.
  • t17bonet17bone Posts: 1
    Do you have the contact information for the Volvo corporate rep you spoke with? Volvo is telling me that its going to be $6000 to replace my transmission.
  • Sorry I dont have the details as I had my transmission changed over 3 years ago. Try the customer service number 1800 786 586. I called them recently and they were helpful and they have all the volvo registration numbers and details on file. My XC90 only had 80,000 klms when it need the change which isnt much for this quality car.
    Just dont back down, threaten to get Dept of Fair Trading involved as well as the documented chat rooms that identify this as a problem world wide. They have also set a precedent by paying for paid for a number of transmissions already. So why pay for some and not others? They paid for my transmission and I paid for the service which was $1200.
    Give them heaps they need to accept responsibility for this know problem. We buy a volvo because its reliable, safe and a quality product how can they not accept this issue is a genuine fault.
    Good Luck.
  • Our tranmission finally failed at 79000 miles. We'd had a couple of incidents in the last year, but each were fixed quickly and we were sent on our way. I was actually somewhat relieved when the "Transmission Service Urgent" warning came on last Saturday (even though we were on the highway when it did. I knew we were driving a ticking timebomb and I wanted that new transmission!) We limped our car to the dealership and left it there over the weekend. When service opened on Monday we called to make sure our car was checked in. By mid-morning we received a callback. The service manager confirmed that the transmission was shot and he told us that he'd already submitted paperwork to Volvo Cars NA for payment. We were prepared to fight for free repairs and didn't even have to ask. Our car was fixed up with a new transmission and radiator, et al and we got it back two days later. I will feel more comfortable driving it, but we'll be looking to get something new in the next year or so. We are very happy with the treatment we got from our dealer (Bob Byers in Seattle), but are sad that we have to consider getting rid of this car that we thought we'd have for years to come.
  • I had my XC90 T6 transmission completely stop working without any warning lights etc... @ 125KKms. Luckily we were only going 40km and could pull over as we lost complete power of this car. Bought this lemon at 97,000KM for $28,000 and have only put on roughly 27,000KM. Volvo CANADA said they are pleased to inform me they will pay for a new (refurbished in reality) transmission and all parts but that I must pay the dealership for labour of $1,885 plus $260 for diognostic test plus my towing. I have not used this dealership for servicing because this car has not needed anything major until now (we rarely drive very far in it)and we had it serviced where the original owner(another Volvo dealership and have given them all service records as they asked for them...jump through another hoop) did but it is now too far away from where we live to tow it to. Volvo Canada said they only provide the parts and it is up to the indivdual dealerships to price the cost to you for labour. Since we have zero relationship with them the will not give us a break on the labour cost and we have to pay FULL retail price. Why should I pay a dime for this well known defective transmission. I'm surprised no one has been killed on a hwy given these things can lose all power at any time. I bought this car because of the safety factor for my family...now I'm scared to drive it with the same tansmission put in again. Anyone from Canada get the labour paid from too? I think I've seen it posted a couple of times? The attitude I'm getting all around from VOLVO is disgraceful. They treat me like I'm under investgation and LUCKY to even have them do this for me...now without a car for over a week until this is decided on as I can't fathom the idea of paying for the labour...just not good enough. Getting now where with either head office or the dealership...they just don't want to pay up. This should be a RECALL nationwide. Any advice! Stranded with kids in Vancouver!
  • wang4wang4 Posts: 1
    edited September 2011
    Hi every. I need some advice and help from your guies.

I bought my 2004 T6 at 2009 with 128000km,and the vehicle are slipping recently(140000km).
    I send to volvo dealer(markham toronto) to do the inspetion and they asked me to upgrade software that cost me 270$ and acutually useless to repair the problem.

I send my T6 to the dealer again 2 days later they upgrade the software and they check the problem again then told me the transmission has to be replaced.

I contacted volvo canada and luckly to get the parts for free but I was told to pay for the labour. As I have no relarionshio with the dealer they estimated to charge me arround 3000$ to repair my T6 which means arround 20 hours labour cost(118$/h). Is that resonable to use 20hours to replase the trany and riadator etc.? ¡¡Is that resonable for volvo only provide parts for free and not cover the labour cost for the defectivve product?

What shoud I do?
  • NO do not pay it! Call around to other dealerships. I had to tow my broken down car an hour away to Jim Pattison Volvo in Coquitlam but it was well worth it! The service manager was amazing and wanted my business unlike Don Docsteader which is only a 10 min drive away from where I live. They were rude and condecending (it was like walking onto the set of "Mad Men" in that dealership...they are stuck in the 1950's and the service is horrible) and they wanted to overcharge me for the work $1,885 plus taxes and charged me $260 diagnostic which Coquitlam would have done for FREE. Volvo Coquitlam charged $1,500 including taxes and the work is about 12.5 hours no where near 20. Call around and tell them Vovlo Canada is aware of this fauilty transmission and will pay for the parts but you are looking for a good rate for the labour. The radiator and all tubes etc, all need changing too. If anyone out there lives in BC deal with Jim Pattison Volvo Coquitlam if you can they were very helpful, service orientated, wanted the business didn't act like they were doing me a favor but treated me with repect and best of all didn't try to RIP ME OFF like Don Docsteader!!! Goog luck and post us what your outcome was!
  • I had changed the cv axle last week and found the plug at the end broke allowing trans fluid into the axle. The car started slipping in gear, and generally acting up. I called the local dealer and asked for the service manager, then asked if he was aware of the t6 transmission problems, and he said he has repaired many. I then advised him mine was now doing it also and he asked me to bring it in to look at it, and call volvo. I took it in yesterday, and recieved a call today that it would be covered 100% It seems to me Volvo is making this right. The car has 73k miles.
  • Hello, I have an 2004 XC90 T6....and guess what.....this morning, at 103k miles, the Transmission Service Urgent message appeared. Up until this morning, the car had been driving fine. But today I noticed that "drive" didn't seem to engage right away, and then within minutes of that sensation, the message appeared. I came home, jumped online to google the problem and found you guys. Thank you!!

I'll read through as many of these posts as I can, but want to ask any of you -- would anyone be willing to reply to my message, offering the major pointers about getting this repaired. I'm most curious as to where Volvo NA stands on this issue right now, what I should expect from my dealer in getting it repaired, costs involved (if any?) and anything else you can recommend.

I'm the sole driver of this car, and I've always been easy on it. I've been religious about service and any repairs. The XC90 has been a great car for our family, although it's had its share of repairs, so I'm bummed to think maybe it won't last as long as all the other previous Volvo's we've had.

And final question -- should I consider trying to sell it?

Thanks so much for any wisdom and guidance you can offer!
  • You need to call Volvo usa service and ask for Betty--you need let her know that you cannot afford this type of repair. A class action is in place as we speak. Do not let them off the hook--they know they have a hugh problem with this tranny. Good luck!!!! They are covering 100%n of cars at 100k or less. Please be direct and firm--you might just get a better result than most of us. This new unwritten rule came into play about 4-6 months ago.
  • I might be in your number soon, as I have been looking at buying a 2004 Volvo XC90 T6 recently. Currently, I am waiting to hear back from the dealership who supposedly changed the transmission - I want a part number to see if it is the redesign or the rebuilt .. uh .. piece of garbage.

But .. and the point of my post .. I also had a 2001 Toyota RAV. It's transmission died extremely unexpectedly about 2 1/2 years ago and I spent a small fortune trying to get it fixed and finally ended up trading it in when it became a zero sum situation. But today in the mail .. a gift!! I notice of class action against Toyota!!

It just goes to show if we make enough noise .. these car companies will have to pay. Good luck all .. and wish me luck. I really want this XC90 and if it has the new transmission - as opposed to rebuilt - I think I will go for it.
  • :lemon: They are all rebuilds with new parts. They basically use the shell of the old GM because it fits the car and then add in the new tran. parts. They said they have figured out the faulty parts and have upgraded it all? Who knows because I've heard of several cases where they have 2-4 transmissions put into the same car! I want to see a class action suit against Volvo Canada for the labour I had to pay and everyone else here in Canada...in the States you get 100% covered if under 100K miles which mine was around 70Kmiles. I just got mine back and it runs like an old tank or school bus...does not feel like a new tran should!!! Still revs weird from 0-60KM and makes a humming noise like the air conditioning is on. This car is a LEMON and is going to be very hard to SELL but I do not feel safe driving it! Which is why I bought it in the 1st place!!! :sick:
  • I am looking at buying a 2006 xc90, is this year also plagued by this dying tranny issue? Its a V8 if that makes any difference. How would I determine if the tranny has already been replaced?
  • It is years 2003-2005 and the T6 engines models so I think the V8 2006 is a different tranny. Do your research on it.l
  • Hi,

I had the transmission replaced to my 2003 XC90 at 95,000 miles. I took the car to be looked at at Smythe Volvo in Summit, New Jersey. They said a new transmission would cost $5K. My friend told me to look online because there were many other people who owned a XC90 Volvo with the same problem. I am quite sure Smythe Volvo knew about this and said nothing to me. I asked what can I do and they said they could give me $1k for my car. I contacted Volvo headquarters and they put in a new engine at their cost. Here we two years later and I decided maybe I'll trade in the car. I went to Smythe Volvo in Summit, New Jersey. I was informed after they evaluated my car that it needed a new transmission. I was offered $1,000 for the car. I am currently trying to contact Volvo and see how they can help me. I had two Volvo's prior to purchasing the XC90. I never had any problems any than the usual maintenance. With the XC90 the constant clunking, knocking and grinding coming from the car doesn't end. I have to replace the tires on the car on a yearly basis and I don't drive the car hard. I hope there is still time to join the class action against volvo.
  • Hey Wavytop, have you had any luck yet? The same thing happened to my 05 cx90 this morning. It only has 47,000 miles and I could barely get it out of the driveway today. Took it to my local Volvo mechanic and they checked the computer and serviced the tranny, but no luck. He said the next step is replacement.

The mechanic looked into transmissions in stock, and Volvo said they only had 3 in stock. A sign that these are flying off the shelves.

Let me know if you've gotten anywhere with this. Good luck!
  • Here's the update on my '04 XC90 T6 Transmission issue:

YES, it has been fully repaired/replaced -- and at absolutely no charge to me. I'm very pleased.

I took it in to Bob Byers' Ravenna Volvo/Seattle, the dealer I originally purchased the car from. They were very nice about it, said they'd run a complimentary diagnostic on it and phone me with the results. They phoned later the same day, said the diagnostic info was being sent on to Volvo NA, where it would be analyzed. A day or so later I heard back again from the dealer, and they told me that indeed the transmission needed to be replaced -- and there would be absolutely NO CHARGE to me for parts OR labor. They completely took care of it. Byers even offered a free loaner car while the repairs were being made.

The invoice notes read, "The factory warranty on this/these component(s) has expired. Assistance has been provided as a one-time goodwill gesture by Volvo Cars of North America/Bob Byers Ravenna Volvo in the interest of customer satisfaction and owner loyalty."

I want to reiterate how graciously the dealer handled this. I think it also helps if the car owner behaves in a reasonable manner when bringing the car in for service.

This is our family's 4th Volvo, and I grew up driving Volvos as a kid, so I'm glad to have this car back. I hope it continues to run well for a long, long time.
  • Mine was also fully covered by volvo. While it was there, they did about $400 worth of repairs/maintenance. We picked it up around 1pm today, drove it about 30miles then parked it. Around 7:30 I left the house to pick something up, and on the way home it started slipping again. I coasted the final block to my house, unable to get it into the garage it sits in the driveway with a large puddle of trans fluid under it.
  • Could you please let me know what happened with you, will appreciate any comment from people in Canada. I had the same problem exactly at 135000k
    Volvo Oakville in Canada priced me 8500. And they said thatnthey have no support or responsibility. Can any one in Canada advise please.

Thanks
  • See my reply on Message #787.
    Unfortunately I'm not in Canada, so I don't know what the story is there.
    Best of luck to you.