Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

VW Passat Troubles (B5 platform, nee Audi)

Comments

• camydogcamydog Member Posts: 64
    Anyone having problems with the 4 motion cars? I saw the one post by ssvk above, but no others.

There sure seem to be a bunch of problems with these cars not found in others. The only VW I am interested in is the 4 motion Passat, but only if problem free.

I can not understand oil leaks, excess oil consumption, and interior/exterior wear problems in the first 20K of ownership. From what this board is telling me, VW needs to wake up and improve quality. The Passat is the best looking car in its class and has so much to offer, if only it didn't have the problems.
  • carguy5000carguy5000 Member Posts: 146
    While some of the complaints seem ligit, I find there to be a number of whiners on this board. How can you blame VW for a backorder on a part that you damaged?
    Leather discoloring on your steering wheel? What type of handcreme/aftershave do you have on your hands? Remember..it is leather, the same type that is used in clothing etc. The leather wheel on my Expedition is discoloring too, I figured out how to stop it..I clean my hands!
    I have come out of 10 years and well over 300,000 miles in such benchmarks as 2 Camrys, a 626 and a Maxima and find the quality in our Passat V6 to be the same if not better than the above mentioned models.
    This car is not a Mercedes E-Class. Cars have problems. Deal with them.
  • kings4kings4 Member Posts: 6
    I agree with carguy5000, cars have problems. To feel real pain, you should have bought an older Ford Taurus with the 3.8 or how about an '80s era Caravan. THAT'S real problems! My Passat has been a joy in comparison to the Taurus I owned.
  • greenpassatgreenpassat Member Posts: 1
    Is it likely that spinning the wheels while backing up a snow-covered hill would burn out a manual transmission? I drove my 99 Passat this way for about 40 feet, then lost reverse gear -permanently. The dealer says a bearing in the transmission failed, which wrecked the transmission... $4000 repair. The regional service representative says Volkswagen will not repair this under warranty because the car was misused. The check engine' light had been briefly (1 day?) a few weeks before this happened. Any opinions?
  • itazukeitazuke Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone else experienced a problem with the self-dimming mirror dimming in broad daylight? Within the past week the mirror in my 2000 Jetta GLX darkens so much during daytime driving that I can hardly see the back seat. I have an appointment with the dealer on the 15th but the service manager said this was the first complaint he had heard about the mirror. I haven't seen any reports here or at the NHTSA site. Yesterday I noticed that it was working intermittently - dimming and then returning to normal - but most of the time it just stays dim. This begins as soon as I turn the engine on and it returns to normal once the ignition is turned off.

Only other problem I've experienced in 10 months of ownership is having the air bag warning light replaced about a month ago. Have 8500 miles and used zero oil between changes. I had it up to 100 mph briefly while driving I-8 west of Yuma on Tuesday. I love this car!
  • greforgrefor Member Posts: 34
    Although I don't own a passat, it was on my short list until I was scared off by reliability problems (real or perceived). Your dealer is screwing you if he says that backing up in the snow for 40 ft is abusing the car. If you live anywhere that gets cold weather, you will undoubtedly spin the wheels at some time on ice or snow. Any car should be expected to handle that, and for a heck of a lot more than what you described. To shell out $4k for a repair on a 2 1/2 year old car is insane. Did they say the car was abused because of the spinning in the snow? Don't let them screw you. Insist on repair under warranty and report them to VW.
    Good luck--Gregg
  • jlicursijlicursi Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 2001 GLX automatic and love it. Over the weekend,
    I ran over a small curb that was sticking out into the street. The
    steering appears to be fine, but I find myself analyzing the steering
    wheel position on every turn. The curb was maybe an inch high.
    Should I be concerned. Is the steering on the passat very sensitive
    and easily thrown out of alignment or is it tough and can take a few
    bumps and bruises?
  • bclembclem Member Posts: 1
    I am very pleased with my VW Passat, but recently I had to have it towed in because it wouldn't start. I was charged $ 130 and told that my plugs were fouled and that it wasn't covered under warranty. I contacted VW and they also told me to pound sand, saying that they stood by their dealers. The car had failed to start of 5-6 other occasions, then would start. They told me I over cranked it after it didn't start... seems to me the plugs wouldn't have fouled had it started in the first place. New plugs @ 20k, you got to be kidding me.
  • ekkoh99ekkoh99 Member Posts: 17
    After 30K, when i push the tiptronic to the left. The dash doesnt indicate its in Manual mode. No, 5,4,3,2,1. Has this happened to anyone?

What kind of Synthetic oil do you use?

Erik (Chicago)
  • jbrigance1jbrigance1 Member Posts: 2
    Well, I just bought a 99 Passat GAS V-6 10 days ago. It had 28,900 miles on it and I bought it from a very reputable used car place.
    Yesterday, I filled the tank up with 92 octane gas. I drove the car about 35 miles after the fill up. This morning when I left for work, the "check engine light" stayed on. I checked the gas cap and closed it fighter. The antifreeze reservoir cap seemed a little loose so I tightened it.
    I called a local WV place and they said it would cost $65 for a diagnostic. He said 95% of the time it is safe to drive. Most of the time it is a air hose or gas cap problem.
    Any comments?????
    That dealer was booked through Feb. 1st!!!!!
    What the beck is going on with these cars?
    My used dealer called another WV place and I can get it in on Monday morning.

Why are these on board diagnostic so sensitive?

Advice?

Thanks,
    Jim
  • alcanalcan Member Posts: 2,550
    The onboard diagnostics are sensitive and numerous so they can accurately monitor emission related systems and aid the technician in keeping vehicle emissions within EPA specs. For example, a loose gas cap releases hydrocarbons into the atmosphere. It'll also trigger a CEL when the EVAP (evaporative emission control) system fails a vacuum check at startup.
  • starostastarosta Member Posts: 3
    I have 2000 Passat V6 5spd, so far a v. good car. Recently, visited the dealer for 10k maintenance. During the procedure they have discovered that there are some oil licks on the inside of the plastic cover that goes underneath the car. After the examination it turned out that the right at the place where engine connects to transmission case one of the corners of the trans. case chipped off (a small piece). According to the dealer it was my fault and they would not want to fix it under warranty (probably involves a replacement of the whole trans case). As far as I am concerned there was no damage to the plastic cover as well as the position of the case protects it from any object that might have hit it. It looks to me like some kind of a structural damage caused by "flexing" of the whole structure (engine-trans). Can anyone out there advise me on such a problem, before I go for more detailed inspection and have an argument as to who is going to pay for it? How weak is the case so that you cannot drive the car confidently on our roads.
    My wimpy side mirror adjustor borke off. IS this something that I can fix myself. has this happened to anyone else.

Erik
  • lonegunmanlonegunman Member Posts: 11
    I am having a couple of problems with my 7 month old. We have 7500 miles on the car and just started experiencing a couple of things, some which appear to be happening to others but I wanted to chime in anyway.

1) A rattle coming somewhere from the front passengers seat.

2) At 5500 miles, a whistle appeared in the front windshield while traveling over 70 mph.

3) A "vibration" when the car is idling at a stoplight or when in traffic. I have turned the AC/heater off, but it does not solve the problem. I do remember other VW's having the same problem, but this is fairly new in ours.

4) Rear windshield washer does not work. I am convinced that the line froze and is now spilling into the area behind the rear wheel where my amp is.

5) When playing a CD in the indash player, once the volume is turned all the way down, it won't go back up again. It also sometimes happens when the car is turned off. You have to remove the CD to reset it to start at song 1.

6) I did the routine maintenance at 4500 miles, and am considering using Mobil 1 from here on out. Any thoughts? I have had great success with the oil in my other cars and it is cheap at Costco.

7) The car burned about 1.5 quarts of oil in the first 4500 miles! This was alarming but the dealer said not to be worried about it. So far so good since the first oil change.

8) it is hard starting some mornings when it is cold out. IN FACT, we have to crank it a couple of times to get going. I'm putting this on my list too!

The car is scheduled to go back to the dealer next week. I will report back then what they say about the above.

My wife and I love this car. We have recommended it to family and friends. It's fast, fun to drive, has more room than our old Jeep Grand Cherokee and handles a heck of a lot better. Other than the whistle (which does drive me kind of crazy) we are still committed to it.

Any thoughts or ideas to the above would be greatly appreciated!
    My 99 passat wheezes at 3000 rpm when the engine is cold. it sounds like a whirring or whistling noise. it goes away after the car warms up. this only started during the winter. no problems last year. last fall the dealer didnt put the oil plug on tight and oil leaked dangerously low.
  • ewiemanewieman Member Posts: 5
    Here's a good one --

Picked up my '01 GLS V6 wagon in early December.

At 2000 miles, the automatic transmission would "drop out of gear" -- the car would stop, and depression of the gas pedal resulted in an increase in RPM, but the car wouldn't move. Took it to the dealer, who replaced the transmission controller cover which he said was misaligned during vehicle manufacture.

3 Days later, same problem. Back to the dealer, who replaced the transmission.

A week later, same problem. The vehicle is still at the dealer having another transmission installed. We have requested a replacement of the Vehicle under the Virginia Lemon Law.

We're fighting with VW of America since the new, freshened Passats won't be at dealerships for another month, and they say they can't find us a comparable car.

Anybody familiar with this particular problem with VWs/Audis?? Isn't the engine/drive train identical to the A-4 2.8?
  • justinjustin Member Posts: 1,918
    The 2.8 engine is the same, but I don't think the tranny is exactly the same as the Audi's. Which Audi would it match? The smaller A4 or the bigger A6?

If you don't mind me asking, what dealer are you using in VA?

Thanks
  • ewiemanewieman Member Posts: 5
    We're using Fairfax Imports -- They're both a Volksawagen and a Volvo dealer. Might also do Hondas -- I'm not sure. But the dealer's service manager has been great (if you discount the fact that they're installing transmission number 2). It's VW's Washington DC area zone manager that we're having "issues" with.
  • jt6dusmjt6dusm Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a passat new on 11/03/00. I have 2700 miles on the car & I noticed the battery clamp & the bolt that holds the cable to the firewall are oxidized. I have had no problems with the car whatsoever. The service manager at g/c vw in floral park, ny stated that he would start looking at other cars. at the 5000 mile service, these items will be replaced. I also noticed about four weeks ago, that I get a rubbing/moaning/groaning noise from the left front only when the car has been parked. It makes this noise going ahead or backing up. I have a 5 speed manuel. I live in Nassau county on Long Island, NY & wonder if anyone here has had any positive dealer interaction with any of the dealers in this area.
  • augeyaugey Member Posts: 1
    I've been looking at a '98 V6 after test driving one recently. I checked out the reliability in last years Consumer Reports auto issue, and the car received a few average marks for reliability. But it received more above average and excellent marks.

I then looked in the 2001 Buyers Guide. The '98 V6 was listed as one of the cars to avoid. Though they still recommend the Passat overall, their data doesn't seem to support giving the V6 such a low rating when considering the lowest mark received was average. The '99 V6 seems to be alright, as does the '98 1.8T.

Does anyone know of any differences between the '98 & '99 V6 - or anything else that could lend credibility to this rating? I've posted on the Vortex board and haven't had much luck.
  • ludwigvanludwigvan Member Posts: 3
    Hey, jbrigance1, did you buy my fiancee's Passat? She traded it in for a Honda SUV in 12/2000 after a series of electrical problems cost her about $1,000 in the six months after the 24,000 warranty ran out.

We were both completely underwhelmed with VW's service. The first time the light came on, we were out of town for Thanksgiving and took it to NJ dealer. They diagnosed a loose and/or dirty gas cap (it was neither - the thing was spotless, and she always tightens it three clicks). They essentially did nothing more than reboot the computer, which made the light go out and also made her wallet $65.00 lighter. But on the way home to Virginia the next day, the light came back on again.

Furious, she contacted a local import repair shop with a good reputation. They told her that VW's computer diagnostics printouts for 1999 cars are still VW-proprietary, so only a VW dealer can decipher them; how's THAT for guaranteeing the customer will get his repairs done at your dealership?

So she took it to the local dealer. This time they decided she needed new injectors, that the OEM ones installed on Passats in 1999 were inadequate and had been superseded by a better model and at $150 per injector for six injectors, it would run her...

She yelled at them long enough and loud enough to get them to charge her for only two injectors, and after getting the car back (check engine light now extinguished) she decided to dump it before it got a chance to bite her again.

I haven't discussed a couple of other other electrical problems this car had, but the bottom line on this story is that she dumped a car we both liked a LOT because of lousy, expensive service and intransigent electrical problems. It had about 26-28k miles on it when she traded it in.

Is yours a pale green four door?
  • charliegocharliego Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone else have a problem with 99 passat brakes? Regardless of what I do, I can never get rid of the annoying squeaking noise. Moreover, when I make sudden stops, I can actually feel the brake pads rub against the rotor. Been to the dealer numerous times, but have received no help. Please advise. Thank you!
  • levine1levine1 Member Posts: 1
    MY WIFE AND I HAVE A '99 PASSAT WITH 26K MILES. AT 20K WE STARTED NOTICING AN INTERMITTENT SOUND FROM THE FUEL TANK (DRIVER SIDE REAR QUARTER PANEL). IT SOUNDS LIKE THE FUEL PUMP WHIZZING PLUS THE NOISE OF THE VACUMN PUMP. BEEN TO DEALER THREE TIMES CAN NOT FIND PROBLEM. ANYONE ELSE EXPERIENCED SAME, PLUS BEEN ABLE TO FIND FIX. WE HAVE ALSO LIKE MANY HAVE HAD MINOR ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS.
  • hiwaysanityhiwaysanity Member Posts: 216
    Mine is a 2000 V6 auto wagon. My problem was that the starter didn't pick up at all - no spin. Not even a click. Sounded like a dead solenoid. Somehow VW Roadside Assistance did not translate the problem to the dealer correctly, and they called to say that the plugs were fouled, they replaced them, and all is OK now! Must be a service bulletin on fouled plugs, or something.

I told them to take it back in and look again, just so that I wouldn't have to have it towed back in a day or so. They did, and found no problem. All in all, my dealer was very helpful, and it cost me nothing.

Postmortem: In retrospect, I remembered that the last time the car had been started, I had moved it in the driveway on a very cold day. In the process, I had plowed through some deep frozen slush, which I bet got wedged into the starter housing, and froze up the solenoid. The day it was towed to the dealer, the weather warmed to above freezing, allowing it to thaw out. I have never seen the starter on this car, so I don't know if that is the true cause or not.

Lesson learned: Always use VW roadside assistance for the tow - then it does not cost anything!
  • neo2kneo2k Member Posts: 8
    I have a 2000 VW Passat, V6 Automatic. Purchased it Nov, 1999. I have about 38K on it and have noticed a few problems.

1) Engine "drops"
    This is my second winter with the car, and I noticed that at 3000 rpms, averaging around 60/70 mph (here's the kicker) in wet, wind blown, snowy conditions. The engine would just "drop" for a sec. It feels like the transmission misses a gear and recovers automatically. The feeling inside is a literal buck in the car. This ONLY happens under the weather conditions I described. The road has to be wet, and the snow has to be blowing -- I guess at 60 mph it would be blowing :) At any rate it's unnerving and can't figure out what the problem is. I was told that it might be the fuel filter. Thoughts?

2)Rear Passenger window -- I have an appointment with my dealer about this problem. The window keeps slipping off the track. So once it's rolled up, the track will roll down without the window. This is the 3rd time the dealer is going to attempt to fix this, so wondering if I'm going to have to continue playing this game, or I can demand a complete replacement.

3)Rattle noise. I too also noticed a rattling noise around 20K at highway speeds. Sounded like it was coming from the left rear seat. Drives me nutts, but can't but my finger on the exact location of it.

4) In the only ME category. I too accidentally broke off the remote mirror knob. Of course the engineers at VW probably never expected someone breaking this thing with their knee (I'm 6'6') , but I did. :)

I love the car -- and this site (My mother saved a bundle on her Volvo S60) Your thoughts, comments would be appreciated.
  • georgek44georgek44 Member Posts: 81
    The "engine drop" you describe could have something to do with the traction control system working to counter loss of grip on wet, slippery roads. I've felt something similar on my 1.8 GLS, and also on my '94 Legacy and '89 Corolla. Both of those had all-wheel drive.
    oh one more thing - anyone experiencing a musty (like wet socks) odor coming from the HVAC system.

I'm assuming it's because I spent so much time in the car, but with my no eating rule, can't figure how the car developed that odor.

It's really strong when the system is just warming up.
    georgek44 -- I didn't notice the Traction Control light blink. It usually does when it's engaged trying to regain control.

Can the Traction Control engage without a visual confirmation?

thanks

-Gregg - Brooklyn, N.Y.
  • carguy5000carguy5000 Member Posts: 146
    The smell that you are experiencing is not Fumunda cheese, it is actually mold and or mildew. It forms in the hvac system especially in cold damp regions. There is a fix, it involves introducing a liquid, spray or tablet to the system to kill the growth. The downside of this is the lovely "public bathroom deodorant" smell that blows out when you use your system.
    I had the problem with my 2000 Expedition due to it being inside all of the time. I park it outside occasionally and let the interior get warm-thus drying it out. It seems to help.
    Of course, clean socks always help as well!
  • bert14bert14 Member Posts: 8
    I must consider replacing my Camry wagon; my mechanic says it's time. My family owns four Toyotas and loves their quality, but Toyota doesn't make a wagon. The Subaru Legacy Wagon looks OK and has passionate owners, but it's a bit small, like a Corolla. The Passat Wagon looks beautiful and is the same size as the Camry wagon. BUT, the messages on this site include such horror stories that I can't seem to believe Consumer Reports' stance on the Passat, especially considering C.R.'s historically poor rating on VW reliability. MY QUESTION: do I believe VW has cleaned up its act regarding parts, repair, arrogance? Can anyone vouch for either of two Massachusetts' dealers: Lexington or Lunenburg? Or should I simply go with Subaru?
    The silent majority of Passat owners love their cars. I bought a 2000 GLS V6 wagon on the strength of all of the evidence I could find - CR, Edmunds, and all the other auto sites. We have 16k miles and still love the car. Nothing I have ever owned drives as well.

For wagon shoppers, it often boils down to the Legacy vs the Passat. The people I have talked to agree that the Passat is a driver's car - much more fun, if you love to drive. The Subaru is fun, but a bit more isolated fromt he road. Both good cars. AWD is a real attraction, but I have had no trouble in snow with my Passat.

Can't vouch for either dealer - sorry. I used Wellesley, and the service has been great. I'd go for the VW again any day. Good luck. :-)
    Thanks for your reply, "hiwaysanity." Your experience with your new Passat and the Wellesley dealership is encouraging.
    I am incorrect in asking about experience others have had with VW dealerships and service departments. Lexington, Mass., should not have been on the list; the VW dealers nearest to me are in Bedford and Lunenburg, Mass., and Nashua, NH. I'd be happy to hear of anyone's experience regarding any of those dealers' attitude, honesty, customer loyalty, warranty decisions, reasonable prices, good judgement, promptness, parts availability, loaners, etc., etc.
    "Hiwaysanity," I do understand your observation that mostly dissatisfied people use this kind of chat site, but it's interesting to look at the comparable Subaru site, where people are talking about challenging repairs but seldom complaining about Subaru warranty, service, and reliability. I guess I'm generally hearing a different tone from those owners in comparison to VW owners. Therefore, your endorsement gives me some comfort. Thanks!
  • mikeg61mikeg61 Member Posts: 28
    Bert14- I've got a 96 Outback which I'll be unloading soon. I've had four oil leaks and 2 water pumps go in 75,000 miles, along with a rear hatch that wouldn't open when it was full of luggage (that's always fun). Also, the Subaru is a pig when it comes to getting on 128/Mass Pike. OK once you get to highway speed, but it takes forever to get there. Passat is a much better handling and accelerating car.

Minuteman has a great web page complete with MSRP and invoice prices for every car on the lot, but according to their site the 2001 1/2 wagons won't be in until April. Don't know about Wager, but they also own the BMW/Merc dealership in Boylston, so they know German cars pretty well.
  • cwosignscwosigns Member Posts: 13
    I'm posting for a friend of mine that drives a 2000 Passat GLS 4 cylinder w/the Tip Tronic transmission. She has noticed that when she is stopped and her car is still in 'drive', the tachometer needle bounces up and down. It is not idling smoothly. She took it to the dealer, but they said there was nothing wrong. I sat in her car yesterday and could feel it.

Has anyone else encountered this problem? She has 24,400 miles on the car (conveniently the warranty expired at 24,000). What could the problem be?

Thanks

Chris (proud owner of a Honda Civic...but I DO love the Passat)

2000 Passat GLS 4 cyl Tip Tronic
  • jzmixjzmix Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 Passat Wagon. I love it, but after taking it to it's second scheduled service (10K miles), a mid frequency rumble appear as the car rolls. It's like the wheel is not in the correct position. The dealer said that the tires had wore down unevenly so they will replace all 4 of them. However, I'm still waiting for this to happen; but I wonder if this is the solution. I know that the way tires wear down is a reflection of how well the suspension, alignment or balancing are calibrated, and not how well the tire was built. Does anyone know anything about this?
    under warranty?? Yeah, I'd worry about the suspension, and wonder why the dealer would be willing to do something that expensive.
  • jzmixjzmix Member Posts: 2
    Yes, my 1.8 Passat has the same Goodyear tires. I sure hope that there is nothing else wrong. This is all under warranty, but it's going to take like 1 month for the new set to arrive.
  • justinjustin Member Posts: 1,918
    replaced with the same tire. Just a defect at a certain plant or something I guess....the noise was annoying, but it did not affect anything otherwise. Just means you don't have to BUY tires as soon ;)
    Mikeg61: Thanks for the reaction. Sorry about your Outback. Is any car reliable anymore? Maybe my '92 Camry wagon was - at one time. What are you getting to replace the Outback? Tell me, too, if you have had any dealing with Minuteman VW in Bedford (Mass.). I'm concerned about their service and loyalty to customers, vs. loyalty to the corporation. They called me yesterday to say they have a couple of Passat wagons to look at -- a 4-cyl and a 6-cyl -- but no 4-motion. Tomorrow, I'll drive the two on hand as. I'm still shopping, and I'll look at a Subaru Legacy GT wagon, too. I'm not in a big rush -- June or July is OK. Any further thoughts?
  • bugman6bugman6 Member Posts: 1
    I AM HAVING A PROBLEM WITH MY TRUCK,WHEN AT IDLE THE ENGINE HAS A MISS IN IT, IT ALMOST STOPS. AT HIGHER RPM IT RUNS GOOD. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT MAY BE WRONG. THANKS
  • bj02176bj02176 Member Posts: 115
    Boy when I bought my 99 Passat. I asked if they would match the price. They said, no, were kind of upset that I would get one for the price I mentioned. Anyway I went to a place in Pembroke. Give them a try as they do the internet thing. They also gave me a decent trade in on my 98 Explorer.

I since went on to a Mazda Tribute, 4 tries to fix the fuel smell. It's an okay vehicle except for the multiple times to fix the problem. I'm again in the market to trade, VW will not be on my list, expensive service, poor reliability over all. Friend has a 2000 Jetta, not that great, lots of problems. Get a Honda or Toyota, why keep running back to the dealer.
  • mikeg61mikeg61 Member Posts: 28
    I live in Metrowest and have talked to Colonial, Minuteman and Patrick. I'll probably end up going with Patrick, since their Subaru mechanics gave me a good assessment of the issues I've experienced (and could look forward to) with the Outback. I'm also passing on the 4motion. You can get a 2.8 A4 Avant with a 5-speed, sport package and cold weather for about the same money, with a better B2B warranty if you have to have AWD.
  • bswanseabswansea Member Posts: 10
    I own a 1999 Passat GLS 1.8T Wagon - 5 speed manual. I bought the car new in April, 1999, and it currently has 26,000 mostly trouble-free miles on it. It's been a great car, and contrary to some of the experiences I've read on this message board, my local Seattle VW dealership has provided pretty good, even timely, service. Anyway, on to my problem:

Several times when driving on the freeway at speeds of 60 MPH and higher, the speedometer gauge hesitated for a second, then swung quickly up before settling back to the correct speed. In each case, I was driving under normal conditions. I was not accelerating briskly nor was I going up any hills - it was just normal freeway cruising. Has anyone else experienced something similar?
  • yhoocainyhoocain Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2000 V6 Passat. Lately there has been a squeaking noise while driving. I can't seem to find where the noise is coming from. Any suggestions before I bring the car to the service shop?
    from a stereo speaker, but only intermittently. It seems like a loose speaker connection, and pops as the car bounces.
  • jk2468jk2468 Member Posts: 9
    I purchased a used '97 Passat GLX VR6 back in December. The car had about 37K miles on it. After reading the various consumer publications: consumer reports, edmunds, et al, I thought the Passat sounded like a good, reliable car that was fun to drive. A local used car dealer had this car on his lot and after having it checked out by my mechanic, I paid what I thought was a fair price for it.

Well, so far I've liked the car but ...

it's needed a new ignition coil (an expensive job covered by the dealer I purchased the car from)

new window sealer because air and water were leaking in (a job I paid for)

new ignition control module (covered under VW's prorated warranty). For this job, the transmission (automatic) suddenly downshifted and the cruise control failed.

I've had to do two front-end alignments and I get vibrations in the steering wheel when I brake, indicating to me that the rotors are wearing unevenly. There's still plenty of pad left.

Just yesterday, I smelled a burning plastic smell in the cockpit and found that the doorlocks, trunk release, and interior lights are all not working and I hear a scratching sound from the instrument display when I start the car up. When I start the car, the trip computer and trip meter inexplicably reset.

My question is are these typical problems for Passats. Just perusing some of the posts here, I think I've noticed that a lot of people have had quirky problems with these cars at fairly low mileage. Mine's only got 47K on it. I've owned Japanese and American in the past and am beginning to think I made a big mistake buying German. They have the styling and performance but definitely seem to be lacking in the relibability area.

Is this the case?

Justin
  • rydgrenrydgren Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a new 2001.5 Passat. All the people I work with, who treat their cars better than their children, are telling me to change my oil at 1000 miles for better engine performance in the long run. The VW dealers I've spoken to just laugh at me when I suggest coming in early. Has anyone else heard of changing the oil early? I'm willing to pay for the oil change if it will actually benefit the car. Any advice would be great!
    that the '97 Passat is not even related to the current model that got the high ratings from CR, Edmunds, etc.?
  • sailor26sailor26 Member Posts: 1
    I have a '98 passat and have recently had issues with the following problems:

1) The backlighting for the climate controls is intermittent - if I tap the dash just above the fan speed knob, they turn on/off

2) The passenger side front speakers (mid and tweeter) no longer function. Blown channel?
    Has anyone else had this problem?????
    Help!
  • car_nut1car_nut1 Member Posts: 66
    I asked the same question; received the same answer. The "oil change" takes place at the factory. Engine is run on the block before being placed in compartment for approx 1000 miles. Then old oil flushed, new oil added. Told this by service mgr. In olden days I would try to put 1st 1000 miles on within 7-10 days, then change oil and filter. I have the same car, not yet at 1000. Great so far.
This discussion has been closed.