Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can VW Overtake Toyota and GM To Become #1?

Comments

• gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,676
    I think it's totally unacceptable that VWs had problems that couldn't be fixed at all by the dealers, and other problems for which parts were backed up 6-8 weeks or more while the cars sat undriveable.

All you have to do is follow the Honda and Toyota threads to see this happens to both of them also.
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,071
    ...it is a possibility if VW is very popular in China. If the Chinese market explodes and VW has the major market share, they could overtake both GM and Toyota.
    Why is this even a serious forum?

I believe VW is number one is several markets. The EU, South America, Mexico and China. Plus they are a lot more enjoyable to drive than anything Toyota builds.
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,669
    Neither Toyota nor Honda has ever issued a recall for a problem which made the affected vehicles undriveable and for which the required parts were so back-ordered that many owners had to wait 6 to 8 weeks or longer.

That is the exclusive domain of VW and Ford (Firestone recall), I believe. And in Ford's case, the vehicles could be driven (at the owner's peril), although their recommendation was not to.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• british_roverbritish_rover Posts: 8,476
    Oh I am sure I could find a couple of recalls or at the least TSBs that caused cars to sit for six to eight weeks from almost any brand. A situation like that is a lot easier then you think to happen.
  • larsblarsb Posts: 8,204
    Well, GarO, that would matter in sales numbers if more than 2% of people chose a car using "enjoyable to drive" as a primary decision point.

But they DON'T.

Sometimes a person might narrow it down to two cars, and choose the "more fun to drive" car over the other primary contender.

But no one I know or have ever heard of starts out their car search by saying, "I'm going to go buy the MOST FUN TO DRIVE car I can find."

At least not for a primary vehicle. Maybe a middle-aged man who wants a fun sports car might use that as a primary decision point.

Ride and Handling never even come into play at all with most people. Car suspensions have advanced to the point where almost every car has a good ride and handles ADEQUATELY.

Unless you are living on or commuting over or across a LONG curvy mountain road on a daily basis, ride and handling are not big sticking points for the VAST majority of people.
  • larsblarsb Posts: 8,204
    Here are some other pages that list why people choose the cars they choose.

Survey 1

Survey 2

Survey 3

I'm having a hard time finding a survey that even puts "fun to drive" in the conversation at all.

Can you find one?
  • andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 16,388
    VW is no longer number one in China, GM passed them in sales a couple of years ago IMO.
  • moocow1moocow1 Posts: 230
    Interesting topic...unfortunately I don't think VW has any chance until they do improve their reliability. That's the #1 reason I would never buy a current VW. And sadly I want a turbodiesel too. Get VW to up the warranty and get to at least mid-pack reliability and I'll start looking at them again.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,950
    Beer and Krystal hamburgers anyone? (they'll bring the beer).

VW chooses Chattanooga for new factory (Inside Line)
    VW has moved into a solid 3rd place worldwide. Is GM next to fall behind VW?
  • fezofezo Posts: 9,195
    If VW could bring themselves to market their diesels in good numbers and put some service in their customer service they could revive their US business. If they could pull that off watch out.

It kills me with VW. They always have nicer looking product than pretty much anyone they compete with but they have spotty reliability and expensive repairs.
    I'm wondering if the US market is all that big of a prize anymore. It was pointed out that the shortage of Prius could be they make more selling them in other markets. The dollar has made cars not built in NA a loss leader. Until VW builds their new plant in TN I am not sure we will see a lot of the diesels here. I think their diesel is the key to future sales.

I have dealt with two VW dealers. One in Portland where I bought my 2005 Passat and Drew VW here in San Diego. When my gas cover was broken by a gas station attendant in Oregon, I brought it to Drew VW in CA for replacement. They replaced it under warranty and gave me a rental car overnight as they had to paint the cover to match the car. I thought that was great service from a dealer that had not sold the car. I did the only service for the time I owned the car at Drew. It was a lot cheaper than service on my Sequoia at the Toyota dealer. And Toyota used very cheap 30 W dino oil. I was not impressed with the Toyota service. They politely told me what they could not do for me.
    Hw long is it before VW becomes merely a subsidiary of Porsche?

We may need to change the title to "Can Porsche overtake Toyota and GM..."

What a hoot if Porsche were the #1 automaker in the world...

• fezofezo Posts: 9,195
    If VW becomes a subsidiary of Porsche and the cars reflect that I am so there!
    It is only fitting. Dr Porsche designed the first Volkswagen for the German Government in the early 1930s. They already share technology if I remember correctly.
    Not much. They do share the Cayenne/Touareg model, but for instance when Porsche needed a new automated manual transmission, did it adopt the much-praised DSG from VW? No, it developed the PDK completely independently.

It is just that Porsche has more money these days than it knows what to do with, and so it has been buying its way into a large stake in VW. If it can get its hands on more, last I heard, it could get a controlling share. And that may be old news, I haven't been keeping up with it that closely.

If VW can maintain those kind of numbers they will sell close to 6.5 million vehicles world wide. How many did GM and Toyota sell first 7 months of this year?

Volkswagen posts record sales through July 2008 thanks to expanding regions
    Nate_Martinez

Volkswagen is breaking its own sales records during the first half of 2008 and has posted a sales volume of 3.79 million vehicles worldwide from January to July. Last month, Europe's largest automaker moved 521,500 global units, a significant achievement given the struggling automotive market. During the first seven months of the year, 2.18 million cars were sold to European buyers, with 624,000 going to Germany alone. The only surprising drop in sales (down 4.5%) came from the rest of Western Europe that took delivery of 1.22 million cars during the same seven-month time span.

Much of VW's growth can be attributed to its appeal in the BRIC regions (Brazil, Russia, India, China) and areas of Eastern Europe. China is a close second behind VW's usual best-selling market, Germany, and is expected to surpass it by the end of the year.

"These record deliveries and growing market shares have been made possible by our growth strategy, particularly in the BRIC markets, and our model diversity, even though the general situation on global automotive markets continues to deteriorate," said Detlef Wittig, executive vice president Group Sales and Marketing for Volkswagen.

Here are the sales figures straight from the horse's mouth. All numbers cover the first seven months of 2008 and each percentage is compared to last year's sales amount for the same period.
    Profit for the Volkswagen Group rose 28.5 percent to 3.7 billion euros (about $5.6 billion, depending on the exchange rate) for the first nine months of 2008, bucking the downward trend for most automakers, and in sharp contrast to the troubles of the Detroit 3.

VW said it continues to expect that its sales, revenue and operating profit for the full year will be ahead of 2007, “despite the dramatic deterioration in global economic conditions and the automotive industry environment in recent months,” said CFO Hans Dieter Poetsch.

http://industry.bnet.com/auto/1000330/vw-sales-profits-on-the-rise/

Will VW pass GM this year on their way to besting Toyota World wide? VW the only major that shows an increase in profits this year.