Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2009 Nissan Maxima

Comments

• Hey congrats on your new car. Have you experienced the harsh ride that other blogs here are talking about with the sport package. I am glad to hear that the CVT is more responsive in the 09, I agree with all your comments about the one on the 07, it is sluggish and the engine does not sound as good as my 04 without the CVT. Although I am still getting used to the styling of the new MAX and am not fully warmed up to it yet, I do see one in a couple of years when my 07 lease is up. I especially like the new Tuscan Sun color, hard to keep clean but very nice. Did your dealer discount the car at all?
  • Are you referring to the 09 Acura TL? is that the re-styled one or is that the 2010 model that is getting the re-design. I can predict that the re-designed model 09/ or 2010 will certainly cause Nissan Maxima sales to go way up, what was Acura thinking with that design? it actually resembles the out-going Maxima and the front grill also resembles the mistake made by Nissan in the 04-06 model. Get the present model TL while you can.
  • Congrats on the new car, nemesis04. You now own the pinnacle in evolution of the Maxima line. This is hands-down the best Maxima ever built (although - as silly as it may sound - some will tell you that pinnacle was reached in 1995...whatever).

The '09 Maxima is an excellent convergence of sporty performance and luxury comfort. And it's the best value around for an entry-level luxury car.

While this claim may be disputed by naysayers on this forum, I have yet to read anything but glowing reviews from any bonafide car critics (other than a warm review as the result of a goofy comparison between the Maxima's 6-cylinder versus Pontiac's 8-cylinder...but that was largely a meaningless match-up). And I couldn't be happier with mine.

Enjoy it!
  • Thanks! Really enjoying the new car.

As far as the harsh ride is concerned, it is stiffer than passed years but nothing that I would call severe or unbearable, it really is more sport tuned. My 07 was a sport but to be honest they only thing that was different on that were the tires, the suspension parts were the same on both models. If you live in areas where the roads are rough this package should be skipped and the premium package should be sought after.

I was able to land the SV with the sport package for $32,400. A lot of back and forth but this was my third car from the dealership.
  • Thanks cyberpunk! I will enjoy it!

To me 09 feels like the biggest jump in value and luxury from the other two models I previously owned.
  • go_mdx1go_mdx1 Posts: 135
    I do see the styling resemblances between the Altima and Maxima. Other ones are bit of a stretch to me.

One feature that makes the Maxima "unique" in my opinion is the tail lights at night. I've always liked car that have a unique light pattern that makes them distinctive 50 to 100 yards away.

The inverted hockey stick LED tail lights are unique. If you know of another car which emits a similar light pattern, let me know.
  • go_mdx1go_mdx1 Posts: 135
    Wow....our cars are very similar. I've got an MDX as well - carpool car. Wife normally drives the TL. One of my kids drives the 97 Maxima. Unfortunately, I have no 911. My "fun car" is a 65 V8 Mustang Convertible.

Last fall, I came close to getting a 2008 Cayenne (V6) to replace the MDX but the car I was looking at had interior electrical problems. Also, it was hard to get the right set of options without paying thru the nose. So, I passed.
  • Ten days ago the "service engine" light came on. Dealer supposedly checked it out and reset light. Two days later it came on again. Dealer and Nissan are not responsive to problem. They got my $35,000 and treat the customer like a moron. Major buyer's remorse here.
  • tom17tom17 Posts: 134
    What happened when you brought the car in the second time? Did they just reset the light again?
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    I can predict that the re-designed model 09/ or 2010 will certainly cause Nissan Maxima sales to go way up, what was Acura thinking with that design?

I don't think so. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. My 1995 Maxima SE was resoundly criticized for an ugly exterior / rear end when it first came out, but as soon as the real enthusiasts got ahold of it, it took Car of the Year awards as the best entry level luxury performance sedan from Japan, bar none.

And, unfortunately, pretty as it might look, now that the Maxima has ballooned to 3,600 lbs (on a FWD platform) and only offers a CVT transmission, the likelihood of them getting any serious driving enthusiasts to give it the same level of accolades isn't "slim", it's "none". I believe that is where the 305hp TL SH-AWD will clearly be superior to the FWD Maxima. If Acura dares to throw in the same short throw 6-speed that is in my 2004 TL, Nissan doesn't have a prayer of competing in performance with a FWD CVT Maxima. The TL will be more in the league of a 335ix. But the TL will probably cost several thousand more, so there is still room for both.
  • Wow - that is a serious bummer, rkurlander. Doesn't get more frustrating than that, with such a new car.

Good luck - please keep us posted as to both the customer service and whatever is causing that light to come on.
  • This problem is sometimes caused by not properly closing your gas tank cap after fueling up. Check your car manual. Make sure you tighten the gas tank cap so that you hear several "clicks" after you feel it is already tight.
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    Sounds like you have a faulty O2 sensor. That's what has happened to me a couple of times over 14 years.
  • Hey I drove a 2001 Maxima and recall some bad comments about the tail lights on the 1999-2003 model, I cannot recall rear end issues with the 1995 model though. Are we talking about the same body style? I googled the 1995 model and it was a good looking car all around.
    I guess the new TL will get some getting used to but from the first glance, it is a weird car from the A-pillar forward. I kind of like the rear end edginess and overall it does resemble my 07 Maxima which I do like. I am only shocked at the front end, hood, and front fenders on the TL. Preaching to the quire about the CVT on the Maxima, I hate it.
    I will say this though, if the choice were totally driven by power, neither the TL or Maxima would sell at all, Pontiac's new G8 would take all the TL and Maxima sales. Fully loaded, with V8, the G8 stickers for 32K including Leather, can't beat that at all. Only draw back to the G8 is that in its first year the only interior color is black but otherwise a killer car getting great reviews from the car magazines. See the Motor Trend article where it compares the G8 to the Maxima, blew it away.
    If the TL is higher priced than the 335xi then the choice is clear.
  • Hi my Pathfinder lease is up this winter. I love the new Maxima. I am stuck between the Infiniti G35 or the 2009 Maxima. What you guys think is a better car. Thanks
  • Hello Sanjay
    - your experience is identical to my findings with my 2001 Maxima. I find that Shell premium works fine and note ( Canada here ) that there is no ethanol in their Gold premium gasoline at all. Their lower grades have 5-10 % ethanol and that mix causes problems with check lights in hot weather due to high evaporation in the fuel tank.

Other brands are blending with ethanol and it's not any different. Best to check what's written on the gas pump fine print and avoid independents who buy gas from any bulk wholesale supplier with mystery blends of refinery crap out there.

Esso and Ultramar are reliable premium brands here - Shell in my area gets the nod because of a greater number stations conveniently located.

I've pulled the battery connection, too when the check light went on and done the radio and clock resets patiently ! Dealers love selling expensive sensors to unsuspecting people instead of trying to offer simple solutions as above.

- Waterloo Guy.
  • Interesting question.
    As you might know, the Altima/Maxima/G35, and even the M35/45 are all built on the same platform, or at least they were prior to 2009. That being said, one can guess that the G35 will be re-designed soon. Since the Maxima is the freshest design of the 2, I would pick the Max. The G35 body style has been out for a while, the new curvy version is just a re-fresh of the original but not a major re-design like the Maxima. Good luck with your decision.......
  • prigglypriggly Posts: 643
    Esso and Ultramar are not Top Tier gasolines. In Canada, Shell, Chevron, Petro-Canada and Sunoco Canada all are.

http://www.toptiergas.com/why.html
  • tom17tom17 Posts: 134
    If you can wait a month or two and price is not a big issue you definately ought to get the G35. The 09 (due out this month) will have a 7 speed transmission that should cure the G35's only real problem - excessive highway RPM (3400 @ 80) & low fuel economy. They are also replacing the 3.5 engine with a 320 HP 3.7 engine (new name is G37). Of course the 09 G37 will sell for several thousand more than the Maxima. By the way it is also RWD which (unless you get lots of snow) is a definate improvement.