Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2009 Nissan Maxima

Comments

• out4catout4cat Posts: 91
    Here here to that, U.S. built Maximas (2004-2008) are terrible in materials, craftsmanship, fit and finish, and overall reliability. If anyone has one or sees one, look at the panel gaps around the trunk, the left front fender gap with the front left door is large enough to see the bolts holding the door in place and in addition the top of the left fender sticks out from the top of the left door, totally crappy stuff. On the inside, the 2004 had uneven panels leading from the doors to the dashboard and the glove box would hang from the right side. The 2007 (redesigned) has a gap at the top of the right door that is farther away from the dash board than the same panel on the left side. The sad part is that after 4 years in production, Nissan has not improved/addressed any of the crap they put out. I am not even addressing the shimmy in the rider for the 04/05 models, and the fading roof rails (definitely not like the BMW 7 series rails).
    Bottom line, Carlos Goshn ran Renault, that is a company that does not do business in the U.S. for a reason. But also, customers (myself included) keep going to Nissan dealers and buying this crap, the 09 quirks will soon be coming out too.
  • Is there a way to watch a dvd without the e brake on? I know it's a safety but can it be over ridden like in the cadilac?
  • I would imagine that the over ride would have to be done by a professional. The Nissan dealer may be able to answer your question and do it, or an automotive electronic shop, there is lots of those. Be careful with warranty coverage when it comes to over riding OEM.
  • 1995 4th gen Maxima last to be built in Japan?

My 2002 5th gen Maxima was built in Japan.
  • aviboy97aviboy97 Posts: 3,159
    Hey everyone-

I'm doing a little homework here for my in-laws for they are considering trading their 2004 Maxima for either a 2009 Maxima 3.5 SV (possibly with tech) or a 2009 Mazda6 s GT (possibly with Nav).

They are similar in size, although the Max is bigger which is not a good thing in their eyes since they thought the 04 was a bit too big. They are very similarly equipped too. The Mazda has Bluetooth, Xenons, leather, dual climate, fuel computer, every safety feature under the Sun and Blind Sport Monitor detection system, something the Max does not have. TO get Xenons on the Max, you need to get Nav. Not the case with Mazda, since they are standard.

Power goes to Max with 290hp / 261 tq vs Mazda's 272 hp / 269 tq. Fuel economy is similar, however, the Max recommends Premium, is that correct?

The price advantage will go the the Mazda as well, for I can get them the Mazda6 s GT w/ Nav, moon roof / Bose Audio / Sirius radio for under $30,000. What are the Maxima's selling for? Particularly the SV with Tech, Bluetooth and Xenons?

BTW, I work for Mazda, so there is no need to educate me on the 6. I don't wanna hear any Ford talk either. Ford does not build or engineer the Mazda6. I'm really looking for useful input on the Maxima. Thanks in advance!
  • Not to add to your confusion I would throw Infiniti G35 in the mix

In my mind it is a superior car to either Max or Mazda6..
    And with all the incentives/model year clearance a reasonably loaded can be had for 30K.

If you have to have a FWD car then consider Acura TL...an loaded 2008 (Not 2009) can be had for under 30K as well.

If I were to choose between Mazda6 and Max. I would go for Max as the interior feels much more luxurious. CVT takes some getting use to...Max does ask for premium fuel..
  • Personally, I don't put the 6 in the same class as the Maxima. In my eyes, the 6 would best be compared to the Altima, Camry, and Accord. The Maxima is better compared to the Acura TL and maybe the VW Passat. The 6 seems like a good value when compared to the Altima, Accord, and Camry. A Maxima SV with the options you mentioned stickers much higher than 30k and, though discounts seem to be available, will still be several grand more than the Mazda 6 you have described.

I have had a Millenia, Tribute, and a B4000. The Millenia and the truck were great vehicles; the Tribute was so-so at best. Overall I think Mazdas are good cars. You seem to lean toward the 6 -- what do the inlaws think? I would give them enough info for them to make their own decision. I'm not sure I would want to be the scapegoat in a situation like this.... ;)
    I'm more familiar with the Mazda6 then the 09 Maxima, so I can speak of confidence in what it offers. I am not very familiar with the 09 Maxima. I am very familiar with the 04-08 Maxima, in which the 09 Mazda6 IMO is better.

My opinion does not matter, something that I have already expressed to them. I will not give them my opinion once I form one after we look at the Maxima either. I don't want them to buy the Mazda6 just because I work for Mazda. Would I like it? Sure! But, it's their car, not mine. I know the Max is a fine vehicle and always has been.

In reality, the 09 Mazda6 does compare very well to the 09 Maxima. In actuality, the Mazda6 is bigger in almost every area. Refinement, quality and featured content on paper look very similar. Again, I have not sat in nor driven an 09 Maxima, but, the quality is the 6 is better then their 04 Maxima.

My father-in-law used to own a CX-7, but traded it for an 09 Forester due to better FE. He has an extensive commute, and the CX-7 does not get great FE. My mother-in-law is the primary driver of the Maxima, and does not drive very much. It only has about 40K on it in in 4 years of ownership. He absolutely loved everything the CX-7 had in terns of drive, content, and performance. I think he liked it better then the 04 Max.

I have no doubt the Mazda6 will be a great car for a long time. The engine / tranny are from the CX-9 and built in Japan. There has been virtually no power train issues with the CX-9.

I have also brought up the Infiniti G as well. This is not my decision, and I really do not want to cloud their mind with suggesting several vehicles. The way they are is they pick a couple cars they like, or are familiar with and go from there.
  • I was also looking at the Mazda6 but I did end up buying a 09 Maxima (SV premium / tech)a couple of weeks ago. I liked the Mazda but I thought the Max was a little plusher, liked the music box hard drive and the nav system. The Ipod integration is first rate also. I also like the Max's styling a little more than the Mazda. Premium is required, not suggested. I'm appears I'm getting about 23mpg (city, freeway short trips) but only have 500 miles on it so take these numbers with a grain of salt. Actualy I think the 09 Max is actually a little smaller than the 08.

If I hadn't gotten a good deal I would have gone down the street and bought a Mazda6. I like the blindspot monitor and the the fit and finish are good.
    Premium is required not recommended? I was unaware of that.

It's good to hear the opinion of one who has driven both. Thanks.
  • Look very closely at the new Maxima, just saw one on the sales floor at my usual dealership and some of the panels on the interior can be moved with low pressure applied by hand. Also the sport package seats had uneven cushioning on the passenger seat which gave the leather a wrinkle look on the right side of the center bolster. The styling is quirky to say the least, in front of the A pillar there are so many styling cues that it actually crowds the overall design. From the A pillar to the C pillar it is plain Jane look of the Camry/Lexus ES and then the rear window down to the trunk lid is all Altima. The side fender flares are right out of the Titan/QX 56 trucks so to make a long story short, the design is just over crowded to get attention, definitely not a timeless look. I can't even begin to tell you what a disappointment the CVT transmission is. The interior is OK, nothing strikingly unique there except for a copy-cat dash from the Infinity.
    Although sleek and unique, the design of the Mazda 6 is more timeless, less crowded, and definitely not quirky. No CVT is a big plus and even the one I saw in light blue the other day caught my eye, definitely a futuristic sleek look similar to the MB CLS and new Passat CC.
    Remember the Maxima is a 35K car mostly because it is Japanese yet the thing is built in the U.S. The Mazda is way lower in price. The HP difference as you pointed out is not that big a deal and with the CVT on the Max, getting the HP to perform can be quite a task.
    I would suggest a look at the Pontiac G8 V6 but who knows what will happen to GM in the near future.
    Bottom line, picking a car is certainly based on different subjective preferences and it is a decision to be made by no 1 but the actual buyer/leasee.
    Good luck either way.
  • I have to disagree with you on"too crowded to get attention." This car is a head turner. I drive a lot as a salesman along with other people and I have never heard a negative comment about the looks of this car. Most people go Wow, a nice car.
    Another point I'll give ya, it does look like an Altima from the rear. I also love to drive behind this car at nights. It just looks impressive.
  • Perhaps I mis-spoke, I meant the design is too crowded with styling cues. I agree that it draws attention, but the awe may be short lived just like anything that is too flashy. A straight forward and timeless design does not need to have so many curves, creases, bulges and bumps, it just needs to be a good design.
    Yeah those tail lights are pretty cool, I agree, as are the 19" inch wheels with the sport package. I am floored by those who pay $2,300 for the sport package and then swap out the wheels, especially for chrome ones. Considering that there is no performance improvement from checking off the sport package, and that the wheels kind of make the distinction form the other models, changing the wheels defeats the purpose of paying the additional $2,300.00. But to each his own, I repeat that buying a car is based mostly on subjective reasons, just read the range of comments on this blog and it becomes obvious
  • jayriderjayrider Posts: 3,329
    Just looked at an 09 murano with the premium package at the dealer. Didn't sit in one because I'm not in the market but like to speculate. Drove over to the bmw dealer and looked the 5 series over. For 20k difference the maxima looks like a sweet deal. I know, different cars , different ambience etc but feature for feature what a deal.
  • If "feature" is the only consideration then nothing beats Genesis
    Drives decent too
  • jayriderjayrider Posts: 3,329
    Haven't checked out the Genesis. The Hyundai dealers around here make the nissan dealers look like saints. They are the worst in every way.
    The maxima sv is like a boutique with stones on wheels. The moon roof is a trip.
  • My kids love the rear seat audio controls...they play DJ on the way to school.
  • In regard to the question on comparing the mazda6 to the max I'd like to provide some opinions. Up front, I think they are comparable and what is the best choice for one person will not be the best choice for another. You could read every magazine but until you spend time in test driving and kicking the tires you won't know what's right for you. I havent' driven the maxima yet, but here are my impressions:

Looks: Max wins to my eyes. It's pretty awesome, although the Mazda6 is also a classy looking, stylish car.

Engine: M6 wins: Mazda6 has some edge in my view as their new 3.7 is pointed out in various articles as having the fantastic torque: one of the major car magazines cited it as much better than the Accord and Altima for off the line grunt, and it got better fuel mileage than both in the testing even though EPA rated similar. Too me that's important for stoplight pull and you don't have to race the engine to get going.

More on engine: In M6 you can get a peppy 4 cylinder that does about 8 seconds 0-60 which is quite good, and gets better mileage for about 3K less than v6 model.

Options: Tie Personal preference rules: Mazda6 has cool new feature w/sensors that set off chimes when another car enterst you. It comes with more bundled in when you buy the touring edition. Max has fancier sunroof. I believe both cars have a backup camera available--that sounds like a great feature.

Transmission: M6 wins: It has an Asin 6 speed, which would be my preference to the CVT: it's the new type that has no torque converter (slush box), similar to the upcoming G37 sedan 7 speed.

Handling: Tie: I think this would be personal preference. Reports are that both are good and better than accord or camry.

Resale: Tie

Value: Based on what is important to you.

Total: It's a tossup. And when you consider the G37 also it's get even more complicated! Good luck.
  • Is it true that the back seats fold down on the Sv but not the SV with the premium pkg? Thanks
  • Correct. The sport package or the luxury package only offer a pass thru the width of the armrest. The solid seatback makes for a more ridgid body.
  • Yes it is all part of Nissan's reverse logic. The more options you pay for, the more restricted your vehicle becomes.
    - Check the Premium/Sport option and:
    No pass through to trunk
    Less color options for interior
    The nice looking black-tone interior trim is gone and you get some ugly silver trim or wood-like trim that looks like it is adhesive wallpaper placed over the plastic pieces.
    Not to mention the fact that you get no added horsepower or torque with the higher
    price packages so in essence even the plain (cloth seat) S version with less options
    therefore less weight can probably beat the SV-S or SV-P to 60 with identical power.
    1 thing that just threw be back for a loop is that with the S or P package you only get one outside mirror with dim feature, the previous model at least had both outside mirrors with this feature. By the way it is a great feature to keep the glaring lights of cars in adjacent lanes from blinding the driver.
  • I've now got 15,000 miles on my '09 Maxima since the end of June when I bought it.

It's been 15,000 very enjoyable miles! Over the previous months, I've taken a number of 1,000 mile road trips, and I've done quite a bit of city driving, and I've never regretted my decision for a moment. This car is proving to be exactly what I had expected.

I've said it previously in this thread and I'll say it again - this car is a hoot to drive. The performance is definitely there. There is nothing wrong with the CVT transmission. I suspect I'll never buy a car without a CVT transmission, from here on out, and I fully believe that the CVT transmission is the future for automatic transmissions. But if you want more transmission control, you've got many options with this car.

As for the styling queue - yes, the interior looks very much like it came from an Infiniti. Nothing wrong with that, and it only makes manufacturing sense for Nissan to do this. Nobody I've interacted with has ever considered this a negative.

As for the external styling queues, if one were to look around, one would notice that the aggressive flairs are showing up everywhere. Much like when BMW re-worked their cars a few years ago, some people moaned about it. In short order, everybody else caught on and now cars everywhere take their sheet-metal queues from BMW's latest designs. So too, the '09 Maxima's flairs are starting to show up, and I think the look is very classy. In fact, cars have long had flairs - it's a very traditional look - and Nissan is bringing it back in spades.

Check out the new Audi A5, for example: http://www.audiusa.com/audi/us/en2/new_cars/Audi_A5.html.

If those side flairs don't look straight off the '09 Maxima, I don't know what does...and Audi has traditionally been as 'classic' as it comes.
  • Cyber:
    Writing about reasons to justify and live with your decision to purchase of the 09 Maxima is one thing, but stretching it to somehow relate its design to the new A5 is way out in left field. I suggest you visit an Audi dealer and look closely at this non-quirky, timeless design; there are NO flares. Even in the pictures that you sent out, what you see is the linear line of the front fender curving upwards to soften the wheel arch design (this is in NO-way a flare, check it from this angle http://p.webwombat.com.au/motoring/images/audi-a5-1-big.jpg). Audi is the one German car company that has abstained from quirky design elements (like the new S class, and outgoing 7 series) and instead continues to bring out timeless, simple straight forward lines in its vehicles without the carvings, flaring, waves, and bulges of other companies. If you look at the 09 BMW 7 series, they too are getting back to basics, wonder what Benz will do with their S class now? back to the drawing board. Funny how much cleaner the C-Class design is.
  • In continuing the message above, here is a list of some cars that do have flares. There was no need to leave the Nissan family for some of them.
    NIssan Titan
    Nissan Armada
    Infinity QX-56
    Nissan Altima (much more tastefully done because the rear fender flare is the leading design element that is not lost in a sea of other elements like on the Maxima)
    Toyota Highlander
    Outgoing Subaru Forester
    GMC Trail Blazer (I think it is an older model).
    1985 BMW M-3

And the hood wave design is right off of the 1997 Ford taurus, yes a FORD had that wave bump design on its hood back then.
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    I've said it previously in this thread and I'll say it again - this car is a hoot to drive. The performance is definitely there. There is nothing wrong with the CVT transmission. I suspect I'll never buy a car without a CVT transmission, from here on out, and I fully believe that the CVT transmission is the future for automatic transmissions. But if you want more transmission control, you've got many options with this car.

I guess when it comes to "hoots" to each their own owl. And as far as "many options (for transmission control)", are you referring to the various frequencies with which I can hum fake shifts?

I could try to find common ground and say there is nothing intrinsically "wrong" with a CVT transmission - as long as it was installed in a Prius or some other vehicle designed to get you from point a to point b as efficiently and unexcitedly as possible. But a few additional drives behind the wheel of a 2009 "4-DSC" labeled Maxima continues to leave me with the feeling that a CVT is just a horrific decision and embarassment for Nissan. It's sportier than a Buick, but not by much.

I may be susceptible to being called old fashioned for not considering the latest and greatest dual clutch PDC transmission from Porsche or Ferrari's F1 SMG acceptable alternatives to a 6-speed manual in a sports car. And someday I might change my tune on those. But, please, don't suggest that Nissan's rubber band CVT is the "future" of transmissions for so-called sports sedans. If that's the case, screw it. Just cut off my do-dads and give me an electric hybrid so I don't have any false pretenses.

This is just my opinion. If you are having a hoot driving a CVT equiped Maxima, good for you. It certainly sounds like you do way too much driving not to be happy with whatever you have and I sincerely wish you many more miles of happiness.

P.S. On second thought, leave my do-dads intact. My wife doesn't have any and she wouldn't opt for an automatic CVT either. So it must not be a do-dad thing.
  • I was trying to be kind to Cyberpunk and not even address his preference for the CVT, but you took that on in a great way. I am still not in love with the rest of the car either.

By the way though, I know that you are a fan of the Acura TL, and in some way so was I until I saw the 2009 front grill. I am disappointed because the rest of the car is really great but the front grill has to go. Smartly so, our local Acura dealer has started to charge customers 200.00 for painting the grill body color, it helps a great deal although they don't paint the entire grill, just the shield part of it. I would suggest the entire grill be painted for a better look on the car. My second gripe is that the interior trim is only available in a metallic finish, I have not seen an option for wood trim for 09. The cold metal trim is just not my preference.

CVT and HOOT in the same sentence, just not right.....
  • It certainly sounds like you do way too much driving not to be happy with whatever you have and I sincerely wish you many more miles of happiness.

You found our common ground! I couldn't agree more. Way too many friggin' miles.
  • I think you guys who have driven the CVT and then put it down very badly are doing it an injustice. Reading the earlier posts, it takes a while to get used to; certainly more than a test drive--everyone knows that and some people accept it and come to love it. And look at the numbers: I think I saw 6.2 seconds 0 to 60; that's class leading fast, and probably a good bit faster than whatever you're driving now. And on top of it, they supposedly last a long, long time. I don't own it as I'm not buying this year, but if I was buying I'd go for it and stop worrying that it didn't feel quite like my current car. OK, I'm sure I'll get flamed now but I think that needed to be said. I think the guys who have been driving it for a few weeks are more qualified to determine whether it's a good one. Flame on now...
  • Must be nice to have a new Maxima for the holidays. Having shopped the Maxima, '09 TL, and Mazda6 before deciding not to buy, I think the looks of the Maxima are better than the other 2--it's pretty awesome... The old Maxima's were so ugly even a mother couldn't love them, but this one is a huge improvement...
  • Carnut, there is no flaming necessary, this blog is about sharing experiences and opinions. You opinion deserves the same amount of respect that all ours do. That being said, I am the proud owner of an 07 Maxima SE, the one you call ugly, I beg to differ with you and find my car quite attractive, distinctive, and sporty. I can also tell you that I have driven this car with the CVT (6 speed) for over 10k miles and cannot get used to the darn thing, it guzzles more gas than my previous 04 Maxima (5 speed auto no CVT) with the same engine that had 10 more HP and 1 gear less. It completely numbs the rush of a gearshift when fully accelerating and I lost a race to the 06 model because the darn thing took to long thinking about when to shift and even when to wake up off the line. Oh by the way I did not think the 04 was ugly either, to each his own.
    Although I would not call the new 09 Maxima ugly, I do find its design to be overcrowded with design cues and elements. It is like if the design team simply took a bit from a bunch of cars and threw it together and came up with the 09 Maxima. There is so much going on forward of the A pillar that the design makes me dizzy, the Altima trunk is the complete opposite of the front end, just a plain trunk. I wish all who have one many happy miles driving it, but it is by no means a home-run in design. The prior model, the one all of you hate, at least was designed with the Lexus GS in mind, this one is more Camry/Lexus ES-like. Oh and by the way, since you saw the new TL, it is not too far off on the design of the previous Maxima, right down to the roof metallic rails and rear buttress-type window and C-pillar design.
    Happy motoring to all and a Merry Christmas!!! Enjoy whatever vehicle you drive and do so safely!!