Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2009 Kia Optima

Comments

• mickeyrommickeyrom Posts: 936
    I guess it depends on what floats your boat:) Good luck with your search...
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,624
    I went to the site and noticed one really BIG thing on the Build and Price section: it appears ESC is now standard on every trim level, including the base LX 5MT!!! This is a very pleasant surprise, since it was never mentioned in any of Kia's announcements about the 2009 Optima. I would think they would have made a bigger deal out of it, since not that many mid-sized sedans have ESC standard on every trim level. And since the LX 5MT starts at $18k MSRP, that probably makes the Optima the lowest-priced mid-sized sedan with standard ESC (not counting the Elantra SE, which is a compact with a mid-sized interior).

It also means the price of the Optima has gone up quite a bit from 2008, since more equipment is standard. For example, the LX I4 5AT starts at $19,625 including destination. But that's still about $500 less than the Sonata GLS.
  • csandstecsandste Posts: 1,866
    And since Hyunkia has no concept of supply and demand they'll simply start cranking out 09's at a fast rate. I'm sure you'll get a pretty big discount if you hold on a couple of months.

Although I still like the earlier car's looks better, that new corporate grill isn't that bad.
    Rear clip looks like 2 generation old Accord, front will bring together similar look with next-gen Spectra replacement. Like the 08's and earlier better-- especially rear.

Instrument panel different but didn't see it lit up.
  • Good morning CS. Been a while since I've seen you here.Just a couple comments about the new Optima.I like it's looks better than my 2006.5,but I would miss the Cassette player.At any rate I'm just a "window" shopper anyway.Barring the destruction of my Optima in a horrific accident,it's my last car.
  • We were thinking of a new Optima for our daughter, but we are actually seeing 2007 models with as few as 18,000 miles and a completely clean carfax for less than $9,000 U.S.

We know we don't get the 100,000 mile/10 Year warranty, but the savings are immense by buying a slightly used one.

Any opinions?
  • Less than $9000? I would jump on that as soon as I could.I have 23,000 on mine and it's just like a new one.If you do the required maintenance,you probably would not need the 100,000 mile warranty.Is that one an LX with an I4? That would definitely be my engine preference.
    Kias haven't improved their resale like Hyundai. Good car with high depreciation. A compelling used car buy.

Since (I believe) 60K of the warranty transfers, there's absolutely no reason to buy any kind of third party or extended warranty (seldom if ever is in any car).
    The other thing you probably won't get on a 2007 Optima is ABS, ESC, and traction control, which are extremely rare on LXes but not that common on EXes either, from what I've found. If you find a low-miles 2007 with those options for a good price, grab it because it is a rare find. The 2009s on the other hand have those features standard. IMO that is a big deal for a car purchased for a child, but to each his own.
  • Guys, it's the base LX, with the inline 4, which we wanted her to have anyways, because of the economy and the fact the 6 is not much more powerful.

Backy, you are right. It does not have ESC or traction control, but I need to double check and see if it has ABS.

That's a great point. I really want her to have ESC, especially with her first car.
    Unfortunately, with the 2006.5-2008 Optima, ABS comes only in the options package that has ESC. And on the LX, you have to get the automatic plus the Appearance package to get the ABS/ESC package, so it was about a $20k MSRP car. That may be one reason dealers didn't order many of those with ABS/ESC.

So if the car you're looking at doesn't have ESC, it doesn't have ABS either.

Another option in this class of car that does have all those safety features is of course the 2006+ Sonata. You might have to pay a little more for one of those, but I've seen some low-miles 2007-8 Sonatas recently, nicely equipped (power seat, moonroof) with the I4 for under $12k.
  • Thanks Backy. I didn't know that ABS was only available with ESC.

I can do without the traction control, but ESC and ABS are a deal breaker the more my wife and I think about it.

We'll have to find something with those features, or maybe consider buying a new car.

Don
    To get the subject back on the 09's--

HyunKia more than any other company has absolutely no ability to adjust for supply and demand. They pretty well ramp up production as high as they can get it, even if no one buys the product. As a result you will probably find big discounts on 09 in a month or two.
  • Looking at any dealer's lot,regardless of the brand,you will see a lot of excess cars.Nobody seems to adjust to supply and demand.I submit that this is good for the consumer,or all the cars would be selling at MSRP.
  • ViperggVipergg Posts: 24
    How are Kia's in general for reliabilty ? I like the looks of the 09 Optima . Sat in one at the auto show and I thought it was as good inside and out as any midsize car . Also is it true you have to burn about $400 to get the timing belt change at 60000 miles . that seems like an awfully short interval.
    Kias have improved a lot in reliability over the past few years. One data point on the Optima is that Consumer Reports has the 2009 Optima as "Much better than average" (its top mark) in predicted reliability, based on the 2006.5-8 Optimas. It rates the 2006.5 as "above average" and 2007 as "much better than average". It didn't report on the 2008 model in its April auto issue because of insufficient sample size from their subscriber survey.

The I4 does not use a timing belt, but a chain. It has no specified replacement interval. The V6 does use a timing belt however. But consider that the difference in hp between the I4 and V6 is pretty small, just 19, so with the extra maintenance and fuel costs of the V6, plus extra money up front, you might want to go with the I4.
  • mickeyrommickeyrom Posts: 936
    Hi Backy,
    Seems like you "stole" all of my comments,lol...
    I think that under the skin the 2009 is pretty much the same car as my 2006.5.It has been very reliable so far.Other than having a real trip computer.Why didn't they have that MPG indicator in the earlier models?I have put on over 25K miles and it has been virtually trouble free.Once we got the issue with the passenger side air bag light fixed,it has been great.
    The big change "under the skin" for 2009 is the upgraded I4 with 175 (vs. 162 hp), and I think the old V6 got a little more power also. I don't understand why Kia still bothers with a V6 that is far outclassed by every other mid-sized sedan. Why not just use the 3.3L from the Sonata? :confuse: