Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

96 Legacy problems (pressure in radiator)

ben5536ben5536 Posts: 3
edited March 14 in Subaru
Hello, I have recently inherited a 96 legacy outback wagon 2.5. It runs great for a few minutes then the heater will go cold and antifreeze will start spewing out of the overflow. I noticed that even if I run it a short time, it builds up radiator pressure even when cold. (alot). There is no antifreeze in the oil or vice versa. Any ideas????? Thank you, B

Comments

• xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,509
    Blown head gasket(s) for sure and it sounds like it is rather significant, considering the amount of air/combustion gases being forced into the system. You can run a compression test to likely determine which cylinder(s) is affected, but replacing both gaskets would be the best way to go.

This is an inexpensive DIY repair, but runs between $1800 and $2200 for a shop. I have done it before; let me know if you are interested in getting an idea of what is involved.
  • paisanpaisan Posts: 21,181
    It could also be an air bubble in the top of the engine. I'd start with back-filling the engine from the upper radiator hose and take it from there.

-mike
    Motorsports and Modifications Host
This discussion has been closed.