Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 1-Series Lease Questions

Comments

• dwynnedwynne Posts: 4,018
    One thing I always wondered about euro delivered and leasing - does the lease start when you pick up the car in Europe? Do they suspend the lease while you are waiting the 6 weeks or so for the car to arrive back in states?

In general, no matter if you lease or buy - will the dealer provide you with a loaner while waiting for delivery here? Do you have another vehicle you can drive or will you have to rent a car (assuming the dealer does not provide one) while waiting?

Does anyone know if you can have someone else (say a family member) pick up your euro delivery for you? My daughter travels to Europe quite a bit and could combine one of her trips with a side trip to pick up a car for me, if allowed, for not much extra money...

Just stuff I wondered about when looking at euro delivery.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 29,837
    The lease starts when you take delivery in Europe.. BMWFS picks up the 2nd payment of the ED lease, but the money factor for leasing is .0003 higher for ED, so that isn't really a bonus..

No car provided while you are waiting for re-delivery..

Your daughter can't take delivery of your car, unless she is a co-lessee.. no exceptions..

You can still save some money on an ED lease, but it makes more sense for a straight purchase.

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

The 2011 128i convertible money factor is .00210, which is 5.04% effective and you have to pay the BMW lease acquisition fee.

If you buy, BMW will finance it for 0.9 to 1.9% - at least for the 2011 model, they don't show the cheap money for the 2010 left overs (but Edmunds does). The 2010 should also have $1,500 in dealer money to further reduce the price. The 2011 has the free value package (leather seats and ipod) for the same price, so depending on what you find left over you may prefer to forgo the discount pricing and get the 2011 - since the net price could be close to the same.

If your goal is to own the car and you can afford the payments, no brainer choice to buy it now with cheap money - and I am a big lease fan.
  • rkdiddyrkdiddy Posts: 13
    I would love some feedback on the following lease:

2011 BMW 135i
    White w/ Black Leather
    DCT
    Convienence Package
    Cold Weather
    Premium Package
    Sport Package
    Satellite Radio
    HK Sound

Selling Price: $42,200
    Lease Factor: .00185
    12k miles
    $2k down

24-month lease: $577 (including tax)
    36-month lease: $645 (including tax)

Please let me know, thanks in advance!
    0.00170 is the top tier buy rate on the money factor, assuming you have good credit the dealer has jacked it up 0.36% on you.

Edmunds shows MSRP as $44,525 and invoice as $40,960 so you price is about in the middle - which seems to be typical these days.

You need to run the lease numbers for yourself to see if the dealer is hiding anything in the lease. We have no idea where you are or what your taxes are like so can't tell much else about your deal from what you state.

Remember there is a $750 or so acquisition fee on the lease plus any dealer doc or prep fees and TTL plus taxes.

I think you have your 24 and 36 month numbers backwards...
  • emiamiemiami Posts: 2
    Hello car_man,
    I was highly refered to this forum by a friend, and i'm looking for an answer to help me negociate with the dealer on a new lease.

What is the best money factor and residual value on a new 2011 128i lease, base model with no options, 10k miles / year for 36 months?

I appreciate in advance! :)

eMiami
    The 128 coupe MF is 0.00180 (convertible is 0.00210) - this is for top tier and is the buy rate. BMW dealers almost always mark the rate up for extra profit. They usually mark up the acquisition fee as well.

The residual is set by BMWFS and can't be changed by the dealer, so whatever they use has to be the right number or the lease will not fund. Looks like it is 64% on a 10k lease (a whopping 68% for the convertible).

Negotiate the selling price of the car first - most folks seem to be getting about half way between invoice and MSRP - then worry about the lease numbers. Learn how to figure a lease payment as well and always run the numbers yourself based on your negotiated selling price.
  • rkdiddyrkdiddy Posts: 13
    Thank you for the information.

You're correct, the 24 month and 36 month monthly payments were reversed.

I'm located in Orange County, CA.

Thanks again!
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Posts: 38,515
    Hi nypayman. BMW Financial Services' July buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2010 128i Convertible with 10,000 miles per year are .00215 and 59%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tiers.

When negotiating your lease on this car, make sure to take advantage of the $1,500 dealer cash that is currently available on it.

Car_man
    Host
    Prices Paid: Buying & Leasing Experiences Forum
    Welcome eMiami. I'm glad that you've heard good things about this forum. Here's the information that you're looking for.

BMW Financial Services' July buy rate lease money factor and residual value for a 36 month lease of a 2011 128i Coupe with 10,000 miles per year are .00180 and 61%, respectively for consumers who qualify for its top credit tiers.

Car_man
    Host
  • emiamiemiami Posts: 2
    Thank you for the response!

The car that I looked is specifically a 2011 128i Coupe, with only the automatic transmition, not even the mettalic paint. So the price of the vehicle was at 31,400.
    Dealer then gave me a discount of $1,200, bringing the price down to $30,200.

I have an offer from a Miami Dealer, of $396/month including tax, giving $2,500 up front (which include the inceptions).

A friend of mine said that i could fight over the inceptions, so I could give less money down.

How does this deal sound to you guys?
    and again thank you so much for the help.
    No problem Miami. The car that you are interested in probably has a spread of around $2,400 between its full MSRP and its dealer invoice price. The $1,500 dealer discount that you were quoted isn't bad. That probably puts you at around $1,000 over invoice.

If you shop around or haggle some more with this dealer, you might be able to shave another couple hundred dollars off of this deal, but again it's not bad.

Just make sure that the dealer is using BMW Financial Services' buy rate lease money factor to calculate your payment and you're in business.

Car_man
    Host
  • kabbalahkabbalah Posts: 41
    I bought rather than leased a new 135 convertible.Black with red interior, sport pkg, cold weather, auto, sport steering wheel, power seats,ipod & usb adapter. I would have liked parking sensors, navigation and satellite radio but c'est la vie. Sticker 47265. I paid 44410 plus tax. I bought because BMW gave me 72 months financing at 0.9%. I couldn't resist the almost no interest financing. After calculating the numbers back and forth, it didn't pay to lease. I also bought the BMW tire & wheel warranty which cost an additional 1295. It came in handy as I picked the car up out of state and I blew a tire at 2000 miles in Texas. These Bridgestone run flats are so stiff that without the tire monitor pressure system going off, I wouldn't have know that the tire was flat. It had zero pressure in it.
    They key point is this is a 2010 and not a 2011 (which are available everywhere now). They have 0.9% for 72 on the left over convertibles plus $1,500 in dealer money as well. If you can find a left over coupe, I think you can do 0.9% for up to 60 and the dealer gets $1,500 as well. For 2011, the rates are 1.9% for 60 and no dealer money.

I don't think BMW has a wheel and tire warranty, that is something the dealers foist on customers for extra profit. Depending on which tire blew and which tires came on the car, you could buy a replacement from TireRack for $275 to $340 - so a whole new set of 4 for less than you paid for the warranty. I would think a new tire with 2k on should not blow and the manufacturer should replace it under warranty as defective - unless you ran over something the blew the tire out.

I wish BMW would give us the option of a spare and normal tires - the run flats are way too much of a compromise in comfort and performance compared to the best "air required" tires.
    If you get BMWFS to waive the security deposit on your lease, is it still a .00015 bump in the MF? The 135i buy rate is 0.00170 so would go to 0.00185 if they still use the same formula.

They waive this for "free" for current and past BMWFS customers, but I am not sure how recent of a customer you need to be to qualify.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 29,837
    Yes.. the MF bump to waive the security deposit is .00015

Obviously, you are better off making the deposit..

Not sure of how recently you have to be a customer, but for most other issues, it's between 60 days and 6 months...

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• kabbalahkabbalah Posts: 41
    Yes I know it's a 2010. I like cheap money. The tire and wheel is from BMW and not a third party warranty company. I think it is well worth the investment based on this experience and my previous 5 BMW's. Don't forget this covers me for 5 years including tires that are replaced. One pothole along with a damaged wheel and tire and you'll think otherwise.Here is a link to BMW regarding the policy. http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/Owner/BMWUltimateProtection/TireandWheelP- rotection.aspx
    Just make sure that the dealer is using BMW Financial Services' buy rate lease money factor to calculate your payment and you're in business.

Maybe you or someone else could point to a BMW dealer that lets you have the buy rate, does not mark up the acquisition fee, and has a reasonable doc fee?

I have leased BMWs before, but this time every dealer I talk with is doing about a point over buy rate, jacking up the bank fee (by as much as $300), and has a $400 or more doc fee. They offer discounts ranging from $800 to $2,400 off MSRP (so far), but when you factor in the inflated numbers this deals are really not that hot. This is for an ordered 135i coupe - on a loaded up car the inflated MF alone is $30 or more a month on the payment (tax included) or over $1k on the term of the lease. If I have to travel too far or have to the car hauled to me, then I might as well pay the rip off inflated rate...
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,897
    A reporter is looking to speak to consumers who recently got a new vehicle because of the great lease deal. Please send your daytime phone number and the car you purchased to ctalati@edmunds.com by Friday, August 6, 2010.
    Thanks,
    Chintan
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• rjg001rjg001 Posts: 8
    I know BMW has released its August lease numbers to dealers, but haven't seen them on any message boards yet. I'm probably going to lease a 135i for two years and I'm locked in for the July numbers if I want them, but just trying to figure out if the August numbers are any better. And I'm not sure I trust the quotes from my sales person.

Anyone have August 2010 residuals and money factors for 2011 1 series yet?
    My dealer tells me the numbers carried over unchanged from July. At least on the 135i coupe. The new deals are up at the BMW USA page, but they do not include net cap cost which makes it impossible to figure out the money factor. The residual you can get by knowing the end of lease buy out price and MSRP and both are shown in the listing. Note that the dealer can't change the residual.

Is your dealer marking up the MF on your deal? Every one I talked to so far is adding nearly a full point to the buy rate.
    I confirmed it with a couple of dealers, the 1 series lease numbers are the same a s last month. Some of the 3 series numbers improved, in particular the sedan numbers.
  • Just in case a local BMW dealer offers a "great Lease", what will be a great lease deal? I have always purchased before now, and may still purchase (60 mo. loan). Following lease description on BMW web site is Greek to me. Thanks in advance.

"36-month lease well-equipped at $419*/month, Vehicle Registered outside N.Y., $419 First months payment, $3,000 Down payment, $450 Security Deposit, $725 Acquisition fee, $4,594 Cash due at signing. Monthly lease payments of $419.00 for 36 months based on MSRP of $44,750.00. Vehicle may need to be ordered. Total lease payments are $15,084.00. Excludes tax, title, license, acquisition and registration fees. Rates are based on Super Elite/Elite/Standard credit tier level."

"At lease end, lessee will be liable for disposition fee ($350.00), any excess wear and use as set forth in the lease agreement and excess mileage charges of $.20 per mile for miles driven in excess of 10,000 miles per year. Purchase option at lease end for $29,535.00 excludes taxes. Lessee acquires no ownership interest unless purchase option is exercised."
  • Trying to get in touch with "jkgreer2"....I've had the exact same problem as your TL with the DVD-A not playing and was hoping you could tell me how you solved. I've replied to your original post in 2007 in the acura tl audio section...Please help.
  • Regarding DVD-Audio not playing, I had 2 Acura dealers look at problem. The problem for 2004 Acura TL was one DVD-A slot would play, other 5 DVD-A would not. Both Acura dealers did not have a clue. One dealer did guess a 'cleaning' of inside of DVD-A unit was needed. Car was out of warranty. Both dealers gave me suggestions on radio repair shops for DVD-A, which required taking radio/DVD-A unit out, waiting 2-3 weeks for diagnosis, and waiting for repairs. I punted, kept radio unit, played my favorite DVD-A on one channel that worked (other channels played normal CD discs fine) and sold car during next year. DVD-A fix may be as simple as 'cleaning', but I now have 50-55 mpg Prius. Sorry can not help more. I do miss the DVD-Audio sound (Eagles Hotel Calif). Good luck with repairs.
  • Thanks for responding....At least you had one channel, none for me for the dvd-a. Which channel worked for you? Same experience from the dealerships. My search continues....
  • The wife and I just picked up a 2011 135i. It's our first BMW and we love it. It's a blast to drive. We went to the dealer looking to lease a 3 series but we fell in love with 135i. They had our car sitting on the lot and we got a great lease deal on it. Couldn't be happier. I can't believe more people don't know about this car.

Black Sapphire Metallic, Black Boston leather, Glacier Silver Aluminum trim, 7-speed DCT, M Sport Package, Premium Package, Value Package, Heated front seats, Harmon Kardon surround sound system and Satellite radio for 1 year.

$781 out of pocket (includes tax, all fees, plate transfer and first months payment) 36 month lease with 10,000 miles per year. Payment is $531.82 a month.

Not bad in my mind, especially since it includes all maintenance and a tire/wheel warranty at no extra charge.
  • Sounds like a good deal although details for a Lease is not my specialty. I am interested in what dealer claimed as the value of the tire/wheel warranty. Does warranty replace alloy wheel and/or tire 'free' if run flat needs a replacement due to curb or nail damage? I will take deliver in a few weeks of a 135i conv. with almost same options as yours, from Huntsville BMW, and would like to be prepared for the last hour blitz of special 'deals' by finance dept. Thanks in advance.
  • westla7westla7 Posts: 3
    edited November 2010
    Hi there,

I really hope for help. I currently need second car, and was thinking about buying with CarMax (I've been their customer with quite few cars, and though, not perfect, they are decent choice) financing for 60 months, but then new deal for 135i coupe:

2011 128i Coupe Lease Offer
    36-month lease well-equipped at $399*/month. $0 Down payment & includes a Holiday Credit of $1,500
    Vehicle Registered outside N.Y.
    • $399 First months payment
    • $0 Down payment
    • $0 Security Deposit
    • $399 Cash due at signing

I am in Los Angeles. This information is from http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/FinancialServices/LeaseOfferDetail.aspx?e- - nc=QNzH/2RcovwrhE0mqkpggw== (BMW USA, so I think I can find this deal at local dealers w/o big problems).

Anyhow. I am very confused at what I am looking.
    Let me try to break it down to see if I am right. Please, correct me.

Initial cash due is $399.
    license and registration fees for ~35K car will be around ~$500.
    First payment is $399 + tax (9.25%) = ~$440.
    GAP coverage (have no idea, but as I recall it's between 500-800, so I'll assume the highest one) = ~$800

TOTAL AT SIGN UP: ~$2150

What else? Did I miss something?
    Now, the monthly payments are $399 + tax (9.25%) = ~$440.

So, TOTAL EVERY MONTH: ~$440

Now, closing costs.
    I think I need 12-15k/year, but it's only 10k/year provided, with $0.20/extra mile.
    So, let's say I am not going to get their "plan" with extra miles.
    Okay, so I'll just calculate that "extra".

Extra miles 5k/year * 3 years = 15K * $0.20 = $3000.
    Disposition fee $350.
    Tear and wear ???? -- how much this could be? What they are going to charge for? I never leased, so I have zero experience. Is it bad? How bad it could be?
    Also, I heard that after lease ends dealer can sell the vehicle for less than actual bank owned money, so they can put charge on me (lesee!!) -- but not more than three monthly payments -- is that correct? Is it true? So it possibly (I am just assuming the worst) might be $440 * 3 = $1320.

---

To crown it all, it might be $2150 at the beginning, $440 per month for 36 months, and at max $4670 at the end. So, the total loss is about ~23K for 36 months, so less than $8K/year which looks pretty decent choice for driving new BMW.

What do you think? Can you help me? Guide me?

P.S. I also wonder how much would be the maintenance over those 36 months? If splitted the cost of maintenance over the period -- how much per month? Or at least for whole 36 months?
  • carnaughtcarnaught Posts: 1,597
    edited November 2010
    First of all, disposal fee is plus tax which comes out to around $370.

"Wear and tear" can be for anything such as chips on the windshield in the line of vision which are of a certain size but this would be offset if your car insurance includes windshield replacement for such things. Other things are car dents or scratches which are quite large, leather or dashboard material damages of a certain size, replacemnt of warn tires (their fee is $200-400 per tire but is usually less than if you go to a tire store), bumper damage from scraping over parking space cement stops (which can be $300-$400), etc.

BMW is much more lenient and will let many or most of these things go if you are going to lease or buy with them again after the conclusion of your lease, and then too, there is no disposal fee.

Audi's disposal fee is about the same, in contrast to $600 disposal fee with Mercedes and "0" fee with Infiniti leases.

Hope this helps.