Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Altima Coupe vs. Infiniti G37

mickylongmickylong Member Posts: 29
edited March 2014 in INFINITI
I've been researching both of these and found that, if my figures are correct, on a 24 or 36 month lease, it's actually less expensive to lease the Infiniti than the Altima, despite the higher MSRP on the Infiniti. I like the Altima a lot but the Infiniti seems to offer more in terms of luxury and performance. Especially if it's less to lease. Wondered if 1) I've missed something here and 2) if anyone else has been looking at this comparison. Any thoughts on the comparison?

Comments

• gooddeal2gooddeal2 Member Posts: 750
    I don't think you can compare the two. I highly doubt that you can lease the G37 for less than the Altima coupe unless those 2 cars have very similar MSRP, a fully loaded Altima with a base G.
  • mickylongmickylong Member Posts: 29
    Here are the numbers I'm working from:

Altima Coupe 3.5SE w/ Premium and Technology Pkg. and mats
    MSRP= $37,395 (inc. Destination)
    36-month Residual (12K miles per yr) = 56%
    Lease MF= .00244 (from LeaseCompare on Sedan -don't have rate on coupe)
    Monthly = $527

Infiniti G27 Journey w/Premium, Nav, Sport Wheels
    MSRP = $42,315
    36-month Residual (12K miles per yr.) = 63%
    Lease MF = .00202
    Monthly =$475

On both I used a $500 over Invoice as the net cap cost. Where did I make the mistake on this?
    Well the MSRP for Altima Coupe 3.5SE w/ Premium and Technology Pkg. is $31,395 (~29K invoice) NOT 37,395. Base on residual, the monthly payment is about 350 (depreciation fee) + interest. I think, for the Altima, the payment may be around low 400 and, for the G, the payment might be around high 400 to low 500.

You need to go to the dealer to get the rate for the coupe, you cannot use the rate for the sedan. For the G, the rate for the coupe is usually better than the sedan.
  • mickylongmickylong Member Posts: 29
    Well, THAT sounds better! Thanks for the clarification. I see that my spreadsheet was doublecounting the MSRP before and after options. I double-checked the lease rate and residual and they look right, so I'm looking at $428 per month based on negotiated cap cost of $29K for 36-month lease @12K miles per yr.

That makes more sense, since I show the Infiniti coming in at about $100 per month more even with a better lease rate and slightly higher residual.

So...given the current incentives, does invoice price seem a realistic place to land as far as final cap cost or should I be pushing for more given end-of-quarter, end-of incentives, etc?
    Because there's no incentive on both cars, invoice is a good price IMO.

If money is tight and you can live w/ the Altima, I think the base Altima 3.5 (invoice ~24.3K) is a good choice because the payment will be a lot lower.
  • johnmarcojohnmarco Member Posts: 22
    Can I make a suggestion here? Just go to the Nissan and Infiniti dealers and get the numbers worked up so you can quit speculating on price.

But let's say the numbers are approximately $400 and $550. Who cares? Just get the G37. If a $150 matters then I would say you can't really afford either.

When I saw the Altima coupe at the LA Auto Show, I was blown away, thought it was awesome. Lately I've been seeing it on the road and have fallen way out of love with it. I really think the G37 looks fantastic though. All your numbers aside, you've got to add some major weight to what you really want.
  • busirisbusiris Member Posts: 3,490
    When I saw the Altima coupe at the LA Auto Show, I was blown away, thought it was awesome. Lately I've been seeing it on the road and have fallen way out of love with it

I was wondering why? I realize that everyone has their own personal preferences, and thats OK. But, if you liked it earlier, what changed your mind?

Just wondering...
  • karsickkarsick Member Posts: 312
    IMHO, The Coupe has a Chev Monte Carlo look to it (that's my wife's comment, which I now can't get out of my head :P )

The fact that the sedan version looks so avant-garde tasty, has double the trunk space and a real back seat takes away whatever "sportiness" the coupe tries to flaunt.
  • busirisbusiris Member Posts: 3,490
    Even though I have an 08 sedan, which I really like, I also noticed that the coupe has a "bloated" look to me when viewed at certain side angles. But, like they say, different strokes for different folks!
  • johnmarcojohnmarco Member Posts: 22
    I think it's the rear 3/4 view. I don't know, it just started looking really weird to me.
  • madhav2madhav2 Member Posts: 5
    got offered a $413/mo for 36 at 15k/yr.... 1k down on 3.5 SE coupe, prem pkg

thoughts, I'm thinking about pulling the trigger
This discussion has been closed.