Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW X5 Diesel Reliability

124»

Comments

• The problem that caused the check engine light this time was a failure of the coolant temperature sensor. It was replaced and so far no reappearance of the check engine light.

My question now is whether this sensor caused the problem with the EGR valve or if this is a separate issue.

I've written a formal letter of complaint to BMW USA and after two weeks of waiting, still have received no response.
  • I have roof rails and they are not noisy...maybe someone has something loose but when they're installed right they don't make any noise.
  • schanockschanock Posts: 1
    My son just purchased a 2009 x5 35D with 3800 miles on it and had a warning about his truck would not start atfer 180 miles because of the urea being low. He brought it back to dealer and they said they never heard of it because it was full.
  • autosportautosport Posts: 1
    bmw x5 3.0i 2001 when I start up in morning reverse out my garage put it into drive and accelarte the revs just climb and the car does not move. then suddenly she will go. It only happens in the morning when engine is cold and only in drive not reverse. people tell me this is normal, due to some cold start. can anyone help. is this normal.
  • shrishri Posts: 1
    I purchased the diesel model last december. With 3700 miles on it,The car had transmission failure (transaxle box). I was really shocked to find the major failure with a brand new car ,that too BMW with such low miles.
    The dealership replaced the transmission under warranty. This is my first BMW.But my confidence in the BMW brand is shaken.
    I drove many brands befoe but never had transmission failure even with very high miles on the car. I am now skeptical about taking this car for long trip.
    Does any one have similar problem?
  • X5 deisel with 41,000 miles and the check engine light has come on 11 or 12 times??? each time some sensors have been changed. But the sensors can run up to $500.00 @, when off warranty???
  • kwf2kwf2 Posts: 1
    I just bought a x5 diesel. Filled it up twice using the funnel provided.
    Over-filled both times and spilled diesel on side of car, myself and payment.
    Is there a trick to using the funnel? Salesman admitted he spilled diesel all over him self when he filled it.
    Small diesel nozzles will not go in tank without funnel.
    How are you folks filling w/o spills?
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    edited October 2012
    Not sure where you are located? We have only filled up three times since buying in early September and all 3 of the Shell/BP stations in Virginia and Maryland that we have gone to have nozzles that fit the tank. It can be a bit tricky as the nozzle just barely fits and needs to be aligned just right, but it goes in. It only goes in about haldf as far as gas nozzle, so I hold it in place while pumping. So far, no runs, drips or errors.

I thought the funnel was used if the diesel nozzle is too big to go into the tank - you are saying it's too small? That sounds like the reverse situation of our experience - not sure why it's not going in if is smaller than the filler neck?
  • My 2009 has no funnel. There are 2 types of diesel pump nozzles, thick (for trucks etc) and thinner. The thinner one fits into my gas tank no problem.
  • flightnurseflightnurse 35K feetPosts: 1,686
    X5 diesel with 41,000 miles and the check engine light has come on 11 or 12 times??? each time some sensors have been changed. But the sensors can run up to $500.00 , when off warranty???

Has a sensor been changed each time the Check Engine light has come on? IF so you might want to talk to the dealer about the lemon law...
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    You responded to a post from September, 2011. I think by now the owner is serving a prison sentence for burning down the BMW dealership.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Yeah but he did so with gasoline as diesel doesn't have the same dangerous flammability. ;)
  • My wife and I bought a brand new 2011 X5 Diesel. One year later we began to hear fluid floating back in forth in the cabin of the car, on the driver's side, as we accelerated and stopped. Around the same time the engine light came on. I'm on my forth visit back to the dealer within two months for the same problems. It wasn't until the third visit they're explanation was that the D.E.F was low and the noise was a normal occurrance in diesels. They said they topped off the D.E.F and the light was due to some nitrous oxide levels. No sooner than a day later I was right back at the dealer and they insisted on it being normal. As for the engine light, they're still trying to figure it out. I refuse to accept that a luxury brand like BMW that spends millions of dollars on researching noise reduction will be okay with consumers driving their cars hearing fluids sloshing around. Has anyone dealt with this issue?
  • I can't say for sure, as I just placed an order for an X5 today, BUT my husband has a Yukon and had the sound of fluid in the passenger side of his car that ended up being a blocked drain for the A/C. Dealer blew us off until it got so backed up it actually started draining into the car's footwell. It was a simple, easy fix, but seriously made us question the dealership's service.
  • novan4menovan4me Posts: 1
    Did you ever get the check engine light resolved?? I am having a similar issue and am becoming very frustrated with the whole process. I don't think my BMW dealership knows what they're doing. Any insight from you would be appreciated.
  • I had a the same situation with my 2011 X5D. The guys at my dealership changed the EGR valve for me and that fixed the problem forever. Hope this works for you.
    PS At that time (a yr ago) it was about a 2-3 week wait to get the valve from Germany. I would assume that the dealerships now have easy access to those gadgets)
124»