Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota RAV4 Noises and Sounds

Comments

• farmertullfarmertull Posts: 14
    In the past month my 2006 Rav 4 with 59,000 on it clunks when its put in reverse. I put it in reverse and it starts to go back and then it has a clunk noise as you get going. If you back up fast it really is loud. I locked the 4WD and it didnt do it. This has never happened before and I took it to the dealer with only a thousand left on the warantee. They said it is not a problem and it happens with all. My friend has a new RAV 4 which doesnt do it. The dealer claims to have a new one on the lot that does it and I do not believe them. They are asking to change the rear differential and transmission oil. That is not under warantee and will cost almost $500 just for the oil change. They talked about pressurized oil change in the transmission. I have a $200,000 John Deere Four Wheel Drive Tractor that doesn't even come close to that cost with 30 gallons of oil. I am really dissappointed by how Toyota is treating this noise and the cost to change transmission oil and rear end oil. Any one else have this noise when they go in reverse???
  • bob57bob57 Posts: 302
    $500.00?? You might want to look for another dealer...
  • philliplcphilliplc Posts: 136
    Rav004, if you have a roof rack make sure the crossbars are tightened.
  • ken94ken94 Posts: 2
    I have the same problem. The dealer where I took my RAV4 to was not very helpful in diagnosing the problem. The mechanic said the noise is normal brake pad shift. The condition occurs when pads rotate into forward or reverse position when car is moved the 1st time in a new direction.

To me I don't believe in that at all. I am using it as is and hoping nothing serious happen.
  • I have a 2008 Rav4 that, for the last 12months has been making a noise that sounds like a diesel engine running or something hitting a fan at a rapid speed. This noise only happens intermittently and ONLY when in idle with your foot on the break (like when I'm stopped at a red light). We have had it back to the dealer 6 times and 4 mechanics have looked at it, but cannot locate the problem. We have even tape recorded the noise (because it is intermittent) and still, no one can figure out what's going on. Has anyone else had this problem or would anyone care to throw their ideas in on this? :sick:
  • 08 rav4, 15000 miles. Humming noise when I push the gas petal, when I let up the noise goes away. I see some of the post had this problem and one had his fixed with a brake booster? Seems like tires or tranm., will take the vehicle in when all the recalls are done. V-6 engine. Any ideas? Harry
  • zivbndzivbnd Posts: 4
    Phillip, that is a good call. I was having an intermittent rattling sound coming from the FLOORBOARD under the brake pedal and under the right rear passenger seat. And it was the vibration from 2 unsecured crossbar nuts. The vibration traveled down the columns and made it sound like the problem was on the bottom of the car. I had the service rep, a mechanic and the service manager riding around in the car and then looking at it on the rack trying to spot where the noise was coming from and some old school mechanic walked by, told them to tighten the crossbar nuts, and no more noise. The thing that threw them was that the sound was clearly coming from the bottom of the car.
  • vinsharvinshar Posts: 3
    I have 2010 RAV4, Made in Japan. Having the problem with excessive engine noise from day1. went to arbitration, Toyota does not want to agree and they say it is Normal as designed, I have compared with Made in Canada, with no problem. Stuck due to lease.
    Suggestion:
    DO NOT BUY RAV4 made in Japan (can be identified with the VIN)
    :lemon: :mad:
    Recommend to buy Ford or GM SUV.
  • comem47comem47 Posts: 389
    edited May 2010
    According to the wiki below the North American models should now all be coming out of Canada. If you're in North America I don't know how you got a Japan version in 2010 (unless Canada can't satisfy the total demand). Looks like an engine change happened on the 4Cyl version in 2009.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_RAV4
  • I am considering a Rav4, 2008. Yesterday, drove a tempting one. Opened the windows and closed them. Each of the front windows sorta clacked as they got into the groove. It was NOT a comforting sound.

Salesperson said it was "normal" and that it's the "vacuum sound" as the window is sucked into the right place. Hmm.. I asked if it had been in an accident and she didn't deny or confirm.

As much as my gut says "warning-warning" I wondered if there were things about the Rav4 like this that I don't know. I've never driven a near SUV or crossover, or whatever, and I don't know what are normal sounds. I want a fairly quiet ride with some carrying space (I live in hurricane zone).

The Prius was nice too.
  • travanatravana Posts: 1
    For almost a year, my 06 RAV4 Limited 4cyl 4wd has been making this awful sound like something is dragging on the road underneath it. Not always, not consistent with any particular conditons. Looking underneath, nothing is out of place, nothing is dragging. It used to do it in forward and reverse, now it just does it in reverse...a horrible, clunky, metal dragging type of sound. Dealership claims they can't duplicate it and insist nothing is wrong. They've checked brakes, front and back, several times and can't find anything. I see that one poster had a rock stuck, and another hadn't yet found an answer...while I haven't been told that "they all do it"...I have been told they can't find anything wrong and kind of brushed aside. Are there any others out there who have experienced this and found out what it was? Thanks...
  • dee911dee911 Posts: 8
    I have a 2009 Rav 4. When the a.c. is on and I'm driving at about 30 mph and take my foot off of the accelerator, a rumbling/rattling sound emanates from the dash area. It only happens when the a.c. is on and only at low speeds. The dealership told me there was a TSB about it and determined it was a brake booster vacuum valve and replaced the existing one. I still heard the noise but it was faint. It has now become more prominent so their fix couldn't have been the cause. If anyone has had experience with this and especially solutions please share. Thank you.
  • I got my 2010 RAV4 (4cyl) last October. Same symptoms your vehicle makes. It feels like the transmission is hesitating to downshift. Reminds me of when I forgot to downshift a manual transmission and the car almost stalled. Same rattle sound as that.

The dealer says they reset the ECM and flushed the transmission fluid. The problem has not gone away.

I don't know what the problem is. I hear it when I coast from around 30 mph. The a/c has to be running for this to happen. There's a clue.

Let me know if you hear any other ideas.

Thank you.
    Thanks for sharing your experience albeit an unsuccessful one. This is quite puzzling.So it's obviously not the ECM or the brake booster. I guess we've excluded two of a thousand possibilities. Will be taking it back in this week and will let you know of any recent developments. Someone out there must have a solution. Keeping fingers crossed.
  • stew16stew16 Posts: 17
    I've noticed the faint sound as well on my new Rav-4 limited, it faint but noticeable by the way how is your paint holding up? Have you noticed any chips?
    Well, my rumble/rattle started off faintly as well and only got worse. The latest info from the dealership is that they believe it is a drive-train problem. And, the plant in CA has gotten many similar complaints. No solution has been forthcoming however but I'll keep the forum posted as I learn new things. So far, no real paint issues.
  • bem521bem521 Posts: 10
    Hi, I have just purchased a 2010 v6 rav 4 limited. I have had the truck for only 3 weeks and within the first couple of days of driving the truck I hear a terrible noise also. It happens between 38-40 mph. It is very annoying. Went to take the service manager for a ride today and he was trying to tell me it is because it is an all wheel drive but I dont buy it. He did call a toyota rep which I will meet with on Sept 2 and he did say they are having many complaints about this problem which may eventually lead to a recall but in the meantime I cant even enjoy driving my new suv because the noise is enough to drive me insane. I hope they find the problem soon. Has anyone else had this problem?
    I just read your post. Does the noise occur only when the a.c. is on? The rattle doesn't occur in mine when the a.c. is off. But, the mph you report is similar to my experience. One of the mechanics at the dealership said that the transmission goes through a "lock up," at that rpm.
  • It annoying and yes it is noticeable between 25-47 or so. Dealer says that it is normal for the 08-6cyl limited. I am thinking of trading it because of the noise. I will try another dealer first. Dealer says it is the tranm. but he has replaced some and it is only worse. Noise is just load enough to bother me, only 22k on the vehicle. I bought it with 12k and had I noticed it then, I sure would have gotten something else. I did get good gas mileage on a long trip but the wind noise was so bad I did not hear the humming. Harryt
    I'm not experiencing the humming, just rattle intermittently. The latest word or non-word from the dealership is that the rattle poses no problem mechanically. And, the a.c., involvement is only reflective of the extra load placed on the vehicle (4-cyl) that somehow causes the rattle to occur. It is tempting to wonder if they will drag their feet on the solution until warranty expiration. By then, no doubt the rattle will become more of a mechanical problem. I too am considering selling or trading.